HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Emery out for season, (posts #158 and 159) bone graft

Old
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, the thing is that a lot of people don't see it now because Leighton's been playing way above his head. But if the bottom falls out in the next 6 weeks which is pretty likely IMO, it's going to be absolutely epic.

I can just picture us playing the Pens in the first round and giving up 7 goals on 22 shots in Game 1. Can you imagine what would happen on here?
Oh yeah, I can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post
I would rather have us tank for draft position than just stand pat with Boucher and Leighton because we are not winning anything unless with those 2 pieces of trash.

Oh that's right, we sold our future for TODAY. Holmer has to, no he needs to make a move, and I trust he will. If he doesn't, well then he needs to be shown the door.
Tanking does sweet **** all for us, we don't have a 1st.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Mr Oysterhead

this is really lame. I like Ray and you could tell he wanted to play.

Leights has been playing well though. Hopefully he can keep it up. I honestly think they won't make a move at goalie. As others have pointed out, it would be plainly stupid to come out and announce that your starting goaltender is out for the year the day before the deadline if you were still trying to upgrade the position.

Perhaps this is more of a memo to other GMs... we want position players, not goalies, these next 24 hours?

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Teezax

Thx for the 20-30 games Ray, love you long time. Good luck next year!

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snevik View Post
i had a crazy thought the other night, that maybe he isn't playing that far above his head. that, given the development of goalies and the teams he's played on, this is just a guy coming into form behind a good defense. the numbers match pretty closely with a cam ward/craig anderson-esque rise (two guys who've played alongside him on crappy teams before blossoming), and it's feasible that his style (aka rebound control? we don't need no stinkin rebound control) happens to match up with a couple of stalwart veteran defenders who clear the front of the net. i got very excited, and talked myself completely into the leighton era.

but i was very, very drunk.
I think he might (might!) become an okay backup on a good team, but even besides the rebound control, there's pretty serious positioning issues.

He's getting by because the D has been absolutely spectacular and teams aren't looking at him a huge amount on film, but in a 7 game series, he'd get absolutely lit up, guys like Crosby and Parise feast on the crap he leaves around the net.

I also think that if teams have been looking at film of him during the Olympic break, he could be in for a pretty rough ride in March. I mean, the MO should just be "throw the puck at the net and crash it."

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
RoDu

Quote:
I would rather have us tank for draft position than just stand pat with Boucher and Leighton because we are not winning anything unless with those 2 pieces of trash.
I'm sure Anaheim and whomever has our second round pick would love this

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Oh yeah, I can imagine.

Tanking does sweet **** all for us, we don't have a 1st.
Nah really?

I guess you mis-read my statement of "we sold our future for TODAY".

Holmer put the chips all in for the next 2-3 seasons and we are in win now mode. Now he's just gonna say "**** it" to the win now plan by sticking with 2glorified AHL goalies? He can't afford to do it. We didn't trade away top pair potential and a first round draft pick for a first round exit (which is exactly what we are headed right into).

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Larry44

reports on Eklund, via Dallas Dave on twitter that Flyers are close to getting Roloson....

I hope Homer had a deal done before announcing Emery was done for the year, unless he's doing the old 'show 'em your hand and deal from a position of weakness' a la Clarkie.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
FlyHigh

Dallas Dave is pretty reliable I think.

And yeah, if Holmgren had a deal in place before making the announcement, then I just wasted a lot of typing.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Nah really?

I guess you mis-read my statement of "we sold our future for TODAY".

Holmer put the chips all in for the next 2-3 seasons and we are in win now mode. Now he's just gonna say "**** it" to the win now plan by sticking with 2glorified AHL goalies?
I'd rather have my GM/Team have the win now mentality than do what other teams do...just go through the yearly motions. There are no guarantee's in sports.

I've yet to hear/read where Holmgren has made the statement that he's going to go with Leighton and Boucher for the balance of the season...unless I've totally missed it.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 272
There's always a possibility that a deal has been made and is awaiting NHL approval.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
I'd rather have my GM/Team have the win now mentality than do what other teams do...just go through the yearly motions. There are no guarantee's in sports.

I've yet to hear/read where Holmgren has made the statement that he's going to go with Leighton and Boucher for the balance of the season...unless I've totally missed it.
I agree with the win now mentality, just as long as he keeps on keeping on with it by aquiring a new starting goalie.

Oh, I''m not saying he will for sure stand still with the 2 goalies. I'm just stating the that he has to do something and he can't even entertain the idea of remaining complacent.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Jester

Quote:

Well, the insinuation that he's looking to trade for a forward...NOT a goalie is a statement of that path being taken.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Vokoun + Seidenberg for Carter + ??
You cannot be serious.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Vokoun + Seidenberg for Carter + ??
I counter with Vokoun/Seidenberg for Carle/Hartnell.

That's what I thought

Old
03-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
I agree with the win now mentality, just as long as he keeps on keeping with it ny aquiring a new starting goalie.

Oh, I''m not saying he will for sure stand still with the 2 goalies. I'm just stating the that he has to do something and he can't even entertain the idea of remaining complacent.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the insinuation that he's looking to trade for a forward...NOT a goalie is a statement of that path being taken.
Holmgren talks out of both sides of his mouth, you know this. I'll wait until until the deadline has come and gone and then analyze his move/moves or lack there of.

Until then...it's a giant poker game.

Old
03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Dallas Dave is pretty reliable I think.

And yeah, if Holmgren had a deal in place before making the announcement, then I just wasted a lot of typing.
The problem with me is, I have problems trusting people with the name Dave. No offense to anyone, just personal experiences.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
FlyHigh

At least Dallas Dave is reliable, he got Sutton last night and also had NAS doing a deal.

I'd feel okay about Rolo depending on what we give, wonder what it's like at Wachovia right now, lot of guys on pins and needles I bet.

Old
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The problem with me is, I have problems trusting people with the name Dave. No offense to anyone, just personal experiences.
This is a pretty awesome post.

Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
<------------

Old
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Holmgren talks out of both sides of his mouth, you know this. I'll wait until until the deadline has come and gone and then analyze his move/moves or lack there of.

Until then...it's a giant poker game.
Ah, I would assume that if Holmgren hadn't displayed stupidity in multiple previous moments. If it's a smokescreen, go for it, if not...ugh.

Problem here is that this isn't like Jay-Bo...where it would have been nice to have him last year. This is, quite literally, a "you have to do something" moment.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
mypunkrock

I have to question why we would get Roloson.

Guy isn't a long term solution. I say stick with Leighton and upgrade either the O or the D.

Really, don't screw up anything else. If we can get proven talent on the cheap that will truly benefit this team, then pull the trigger.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
<------------

Old
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

pretty sure Dallas Dave had the scoop on the Kari Lehtonen deal as well

Old
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, I would assume that if Holmgren hadn't displayed stupidity in multiple previous moments. If it's a smokescreen, go for it, if not...ugh.

Problem here is that this isn't like Jay-Bo...where it would have been nice to have him last year. This is, quite literally, a "you have to do something" moment.
I would be absolutely flabbergasted if Holmgren doesn't make a move for a goalie before the deadline passes.

Old
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I have to question why we would get Roloson.

Guy isn't a long term solution. I say stick with Leighton and upgrade either the O or the D.

Really, don't screw up anything else. If we can get proven talent on the cheap that will truly benefit this team, then pull the trigger.

Regards,
Rick
This is from earlier today, put aside the prorated remark...

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

Quote:
Noon, NVMC: A league source tells Point Blank that Dwayne Roloson is at the top of the Philadelphia Flyers’ wish list to solve their goaltending troubles.

“Roloson’s number ($2.5 million) for next year is not a hindrance in the Flyers’ view,” said the source. “They’re looking at a few goalies, Marty Biron included, but Paul Holmgren is very interested in Roloson.”

The Flyers placed goalie Ray Emery on the Long Term Injury list yesterday. By waiving Riley Cote and Danny Syvret over the last week, they have created $2 million in salary cap space - plenty enough to absord Roloson’s prorated salary for this year and acquire another impact player such as Nashville defenseman Dan Hamhuis.