HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sekera: "I matured more than I thought, playing beside players like...."

Old
03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSim8 View Post
No it was a three point night against Carolina on Feb 5th, one goal, two assists. He ended up getting benched for nearly the entire third period because of one mistake, coupled with Kennedy's lack of backcheck which led to the tying goal (at least I believe it was the tying goal)
http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2009020852

He had 1g 1a 2pts that night.

Sekera was on the ice for the Canes first goal AND the game tying goal (the Canes 3rd goal).

He was on the ice for 3 goals for as well (scoring 1 and assisting on another).

Last edited by joshjull: 03-01-2010 at 05:16 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Sekera was on the ice for the Canes first goal AND the game tying goal (the Canes 3rd goal).

Originally he had 3 pts in that game which is why you saw the confusion from other posters. Once of the assists has since been taken away.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Originally he had 3 pts in that game which is why you saw the confusion from other posters. Once of the assists has since been taken away.
Thats fine and why I provided a link to the game stats. Its not uncommon for that to happen (changing an assist).

Old
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
You're right. It's more like a clear six weeks of beat down by his coach. Sekera played well when Butler was hurt, then got yanked from the lineup. Then Montador piddles away points left and right on the Western trip, Rej goes in for a game, plays well, then gets yanked out of the lineup again. Then he goes in again, plays well offensively -- three point night -- and gets sat again. So yeah. 6 weeks of being **** on while a player struggling every night keeps getting run out there in Montador.

Edit - playing time is the coin of the realm. He has done more to deserve playing time than others on the team. That smacks of being treated like **** in my book.
Agreed for the most part. One thing that some people are quick to dismiss is that it's not like Sekera was terrible for the entire season. He struggled early, and seemed to rediscover his game when Butler was injured. Removing him from the lineup in the first place was questionable. Keeping him out while Montador struggled borders on absurd IMO.

Also others are quick to point out that Montador played well to start the season. I agree that based on expectations Montador was a nice surprise. But when both guys are rolling, who would you rather have? I think that's pretty obvious. Yes, Sekera was victimized at times during his extremely brief recent stints. But this isn't about Sekera being a flawless d-man. It's about him being a better option than Montador. I truly think he is.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
VilleLeino

Montador is garbage.He was an idiotic signing by regier.Sekera is better than him and I dont know why anyone would say differently.

VilleLeino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpachoMan View Post
Agreed for the most part. One thing that some people are quick to dismiss is that it's not like Sekera was terrible for the entire season. He struggled early, and seemed to rediscover his game when Butler was injured. Removing him from the lineup in the first place was questionable. Keeping him out while Montador struggled borders on absurd IMO.

Also others are quick to point out that Montador played well to start the season. I agree that based on expectations Montador was a nice surprise. But when both guys are rolling, who would you rather have? I think that's pretty obvious. Yes, Sekera was victimized at times during his extremely brief recent stints. But this isn't about Sekera being a flawless d-man. It's about him being a better option than Montador. I truly think he is.
Sekera hasn't been rolling this year.

When he played in Butler's absence (12 gms in December) his defensive game was better but he produced no offense. He had only 1 point in that stretch (a goal). One point in 12 games isn't exactly rolling

He started out with zero points in his first 12gms then had 1g 3a 4pts in the next 3 games. The he again had an offensive dry spell of 1 point (a goal) in his next 14 games(that included the 12 when Butler was out). Then the recent spurt of 3pts in 2gsm. You can't get much more inconsistant and unreliable offensively than that. Not to mention when he is producing offense his defensive game seems to drop off.

The Sekera everyone wants to see in the lineup has not existed for more than a game or two here and there this year.

Old
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Sekera hasn't been rolling this year.

When he played in Butler's absence (12 gms in December) his defensive game was better but he produced no offense. He had only 1 point in that stretch (a goal). One point in 12 games isn't exactly rolling

He started out with zero points in his first 12gms then had 1g 3a 4pts in the next 3 games. The he again had an offensive dry spell of 1 point (a goal) in his next 14 games(that included the 12 when Butler was out). Then the recent spurt of 3pts in 2gsm. You can't get much more inconsistant and unreliable offensively than that. Not to mention when he is producing offense his defensive game seems to drop off.

The Sekera everyone wants to see in the lineup has not existed for more than a game or two here and there this year.
My issue isn't so much if Sekera is producing consistent offense, it's that when he's played well (the Butler injury, in relief of Montador twice), he's been pulled out of the lineup so someone who has either been struggling (Butler) or showing incompetence that hurt them to the tune of games/points lost (Montador).

03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
joshjull

Quote:
My issue isn't so much if Sekera is producing consistent offense, it's that when he's played well (the Butler injury, in relief of Montador twice), he's been pulled out of the lineup so someone who has either been struggling (Butler) or showing incompetence that hurt them to the tune of games/points lost (Montador).
Fair enough

Lets hope going forward this debate wont matter because;

1) Monty turns his game around and is back to playing well. Like he did before the West Coast trip

Or

2) Sekera takes his spot and is lights out down the strecth

or for fun

3) a trade gets them paired together

Old
03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Fair enough

1) Monty turns his game around and is back to playing liek he did to start the year

Or

or for fun

or

4) a trade gets them paired together on a different team, and they start playing really well, thus proof that Ruff is holding them back.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
or

4) a trade gets them paired together on a different team, and they start playing really well, thus proof that Ruff is holding them back.
Well I was thinking more along the lines of positives for us. But that would work I guess

Old
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Fair enough

1) Monty turns his game around and is back to playing well. Like he did before the West Coast trip

Or

or for fun

When/if they deal for someone (like the dreaded Corvo rumors), I hope it's for someone who cleans up his own zone first and foremost (like Lydman without the grenades... or completely unlike Corvo).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
When/if they deal for someone (like the dreaded Corvo rumors), I hope it's for someone who cleans up his own zone first and foremost (like Lydman without the grenades... or completely unlike Corvo).
Not saying they wont get Corvo. But the few times Darcy has talked about team needs. The only thing he has mentioned as needing an upgrade is the top 6.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-01-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old
03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
"We obviously think that adding a confident Sekera to our top 6 is better than anything that was being offered by the other clubs"
- D. Regier, 3:45 PM, Wednesday

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
"We obviously think that adding a confident Sekera to our top 6 is better than anything that was being offered by the other clubs"
Basically means that we are getting rid of a D man (Rej takes that guys spot) for a draft pick and using that pick to get us forward help

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Basically means that we are getting rid of a D man (Rej takes that guys spot) for a draft pick and using that pick to get us forward help

The sad part of that is that someone needs to be traded for Rej to get a permanant spot. They way he plays when he is put in should have meant he had a permanant spot a long time ago

Mike McDermott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2010020502

Dunno if it's been officially changed, but I definitely remember the game and it was 1+2 originally for Reggie.
(I just looked at the replay, Rej made a good play to keep the puck in the zone, TV then set up **********, the slapper I guess grazed Roy's jersey on the way to the net)

As for his playtime...

Has he been inconsistent in his own end? Yes.
Has Butler? Yes.
Has Monty? Yes.
Has Rivet? Yes.
Has Lydman? Yes.

What Sekera did last season, pulling himself out of the line-up, cost him a roster spot this season.
The coach lost his trust in him.

BUT...
I disagree with josh about earning the spot.
He earned a spot while Butler was injured.
(while quiet offensively, he and Monty played a quiet, but effective defensive game and they were just sorta invisible - rather good for a defensive pairing)
He earned a spot every time Ruff got him into the line-up for Monty.

I don't care he's a year ahead of Butler.
He needs to be treated the same way as Butler if they have interest in developing him further.
Ruff's putting Butler in places where he can succeed.
And he's setting Sekera up for failure.

I'm sorry, but young D-men are gonna make mistakes.
If you bench them after every one, forget about development.
(and just to be clear, for all the "inconsistency" of one Andrej Sekera in his own end - Monty has not been better at all, Rivet and Butler have both had rough stretches, and Lydman's been getting worse since about January)

If he keeps treating him the same way as he has all season, trade him, his value should be high after the Olympics.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
I swear...

I have not heard the word "obviously" used nowhere near enough as often as by hockey players, coaches and just hockey people in general.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote