HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Updated Cumulative Best on Best Score: Canada 6 - Rest of the World 4

Old
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
LOL! you dumbass canucks don't even know the history of your country. Summit series/challenge cup... NHL all stars lost to the USSR.

http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1...ld/chcup79.htm
Quite sure that "dumbass" is probably against the rules of HFBoards.

But then, you might simply be projecting.

Also, sports being part of the history of a country? Wow.

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Evileye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Yes, I know.

Like I've said, growing up in Detroit, I spent a lot of time in Canada. I love Canada. In the Olympics, winter especially, if there were no American contenders I would often root for Canada to win.

But this forum really tested that sometimes. Congrats to Canada and all, truly.

But with the relentless need for some people here to continue to find new ways to feel superior to other countries, you'd think Canada just needs a hug and someone to tell them they're good enough.
Now you know how the rest of the world feels about Americans.

'Turn about is fair play'

Evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
lol...you really dont get it.

We are a 4 sport country and you are a one trick pony (sans curling)

The game you call your own so far this year you've lost the under 17s to us, the over 17s to us, and needed overtime after losing the week before to us.

You won the gold, but lost domination, or even superiority. It doent get more even presently. Calculate all the hisory you want, you know you dont own the only game you have anymore.

Nothing above takes away the wonderful victory yesterday. The game was a thing of beauty and congratulations again on the gold!

ps. the funniest thing is today you have to go back to being a maple leaf fan, the sorriest franchise in recent history.
but this is a hockey forum. why don't we talk politics?

yeah you won the u 17, the tournament where canada sends 5 regions, and each year one of them has won a medal, oh and we've had sweeps. since the game went to ot i like we shuould award usa 1/3 of the gold medal.

its been pretty clear for a decade that canada was not dominant in international hockey, but still considered a favorite each tournament.

ps. and new york is much better

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I guess we aren't counting the 50 year gold medal gap?

Seems rather elitist to do so, methinks.
Someone didn't read the Title! Best on Best... the Olympic Hockey was crap until the NHL sent players

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
YMB29

I guess it is a best on best tournament if only Canada has all of its best...
This has been discussed countless times in the History section here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I'm not arguing that Canada is currently the dominant team in men's hockey (and I'm Canadian), because we're not, and our success in the last decade or two proves that out - I'm arguing the fact that before 1998, Canada (and every other country for that matter) was limited to amateur players, while Russia was permitted to bring their top professionals. So, of course they won more often than not - the Miracle on Ice was indeed a miracle. Us Canadians do not consider pre-1998 Olympics to be "best-on-best" competitions (as we were limited to amateurs), nor do we consider World Championships to be "best-on-best" because all rosters are constrained by the NHL playoffs. So what we're left with, pre-1998, are Canada Cups and the odd Rendez-Vous or Summit Series, at which we have a very decent record.
Not only the USSR, but Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Finland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawno View Post
Wikipedia - The 1979 Challenge Cup was an ice hockey exhibition series between the Soviet national ice hockey team and a team of all-stars from the National Hockey League, held in New York City. It replaced the NHL's all-star festivities for the 1978–79 NHL season.

Cool. So a national team that plays all year round vs. a team of NHLers hastily thrown together. Gee, I wonder who's going to win?
The national team did not play year round...
Many of the team NHL players were teammates or even linemates, and practice was said to be not an issue before the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
I don't see how using proper-sized ice surfaces, with superior modern facilities and better-trained officials can be viewed as a detriment.

Noeth, Steward, Koharski in 87... Yes they really proved to be better trained... at killing the Soviets...
Proper sized ice and superior modern facilities only because they are Canadian?

YMB29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileye View Post

Exactly. So you really want to emulate Americans?

"Own the Podium" is so obnoxious for a hosting country, I'm sure the US Olympic committee didn't think of it in Salt Lake.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:23 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB29 View Post

Many of the team NHL players were teammates or even linemates, and practice was said to be not an issue before the series.

Noeth, Steward, Koharski in 87... Yes they really proved to be better trained... at killing the Soviets...
Jari Kurri, Esa Tikhanen, Boje Salming, Peter Stansny, Paul Stansny all played in the NHL and the Fins, Swedes, and Czecks were all worse because of it. There were others as well...look up the history books.

Only the Russians had ALL their players because of communism. Players were not allowed to leave the country.

Are you too young to remember? That's ok but please don't start spreading misinformation.

Alexander Mogilny was one of the first to defect. Others followed after but soviet greats like Fetisov, Larionov came very late in their careers - mid-thirties. Well past the Miracle on Ice.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Blue'sClues
Miss you "Beetle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Jari Kurri, Esa Tikhanen, Boje Salming, Peter Stansny, Paul Stansny all played in the NHL and the Fins, Swedes, and Czecks were all worse because of it. There were others as well...look up the history books.

Only the Russians had ALL their players because of communism. Players were not allowed to leave the country.

Are you too young to remember? That's ok but please don't start spreading misinformation.

Alexander Mogilny was one of the first to defect. Others followed after but soviet greats like Fetisov, Larionov came very late in their careers - mid-thirties. Well past the Miracle on Ice.
Remember you are arguing with a generation that loves to say, "Youtube or it didn't happen."

Blue'sClues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:28 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepsts View Post
Exactly. So you really want to emulate Americans?

"Own the Podium" is so obnoxious for a hosting country, I'm sure the US Olympic committee didn't think of it in Salt Lake.
Comon Harold you're trolling now.

Want to take this further? Well the Americans only thought up the "Miracle on Ice". Is that enough for you?

How long have we had to listen to that? Did we rain on your parade? Perhaps everytime we hear the phrase we should utter how obnoxious and how it wasn't really a "miracle" since the best players in the world weren't there...they were playing in the NHL...but we wouldn't troll around your precious Miracle threads...so why are you here?

Go away let Canadain fans celebrate...brag a little....have fun...you had your Miracle...you beat ONE good team...too bad the rest of the world wasn't invited to the party...

Old
03-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Tumsh

Quote:
Comon Harold you're trolling now.

Want to take this further? Well the Americans only thought up the "Miracle on Ice". Is that enough for you?

How long have we had to listen to that? Did we rain on your parade? Perhaps everytime we hear the phrase we should utter how obnoxious and how it wasn't really a "miracle" since the best players in the world weren't there...they were playing in the NHL...but we wouldn't troll around your precious Miracle threads...so why are you here?

Go away let Canadain fans celebrate...brag a little....have fun...you had your Miracle...you beat ONE good team...too bad the rest of the world wasn't invited to the party...
So, the US came up with the annoying "miracle" on ice. So let's be obnoxious and come up with our own "own the podium". Now that makes it all better.

For what it's worth, humility is the way to go, win or lose. Feel free to enjoy the gold medal, I know I did after Turin. But this thread serves no purpose other than gloating (the way it was started that is). Yes, Canada IS the best hockey nation, and has been for quite a while. They should always be the favourites, and we all know that. But threads like this is taking Canada (as a hockey nation) and doing sort of what all the Crosby talk has done to a lot of fans of other teams in terms of generating dislike.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post
So, the US came up with the annoying "miracle" on ice. So let's be obnoxious and come up with our own "own the podium". Now that makes it all better.

For what it's worth, humility is the way to go, win or lose. Feel free to enjoy the gold medal, I know I did after Turin. But this thread serves no purpose other than gloating (the way it was started that is). Yes, Canada IS the best hockey nation, and has been for quite a while. They should always be the favourites, and we all know that. But threads like this is taking Canada (as a hockey nation) and doing sort of what all the Crosby talk has done to a lot of fans of other teams in terms of generating dislike.
Go away if you don't like the thread...nobody is forcing you to read it.....take your cynicism somewhere else...cause we are celebrating here...and it could get obnoxious.

Best on Best
Canada 7
US 1
Russia 1
Swedes 1
Czecks 1

Last 6 World Jrs
Canada 5 Gold 1 Silver...

Way to go Canada! You worked hard, very hard, lots of pressure and you pulled through. We are proud of you boys.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:01 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Man, like Red Sox and Yankees fans.

We get it. Shut up.
This

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
TRASHCAT

my country could kick your countries ass

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs38 View Post
No need to get mad, just prepare your team for 2014 and make us shut up.
You or any other person on this board had NOTHING to do with any of Canada Hockey's success, so stop acting like you're on the damn team.

We know Canada has probably the greatest hockey program on the planet, but some of you guys are acting like YOU play of team Canada, which I highly, highly doubt you do. You're just a fan like the rest of us, bragging about someone else's accomplishments is pointless just because you happen to live in the same country as them. Just be happy for them, cheer for them, and leave it at that.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:07 PM
JoeLH

let them overcelebrate their gold, hybris will bite them back sooner than later.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is what I hate the most. Canada fans have the egos running out of control because they beat the USA in a single game. Well, team USA beat Canada 5 - 3 before that. Who cares? Basically, Canada fans are gloating that they went 1 - 1 with the USA and won by one goal on a given night during the Olympics. It doesn't make them a better team. It means they won on that night. This is why the Olympics and most international tournaments are based on a lot of luck. One game elimination doesn't mean much. If Canada faced Russia another 10 times do you think you would get the same result game in and game out? Probably not, in fact I'd be willing to bet Russia would win a handful of them. Sure, I'll give Canada their props for winning one heck of an EPIC hockey game. They deserve the credit. But that is all they deserve. They were not good enough to be gloating like this.

I can play a stats game too... Team USA outscored Canada 7 - 6 in the two games they faced one another? Does that make the USA a better team? No, it just means they scored more goals in two games than them.
isn't it funny how when Canada wins gold then its "they only won one game" but when Canada outshoots the USA 2:1 and loses by 5-3 with an EN (most) Americans refused to even acknowledge that Canada probably deserved to win that game

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Tumsh

Quote:
Go away if you don't like the thread...nobody is forcing you to read it.....take your cynicism somewhere else...cause we are celebrating here...and it could get obnoxious.

Best on Best
Canada 7
US 1
Russia 1
Swedes 1
Czecks 1

Last 6 World Jrs
Canada 5 Gold 1 Silver...

Way to go Canada! You worked hard, very hard, lots of pressure and you pulled through. We are proud of you boys.
I'm sure it's possible to celebrate without shoving it down everybody's throat. Yes, you won, very good job, you are the best. We know already! That's the point. When even some Canadians are pointing it out, you know it's little over the top. There's about 5 threads on here celebrating already. This one turned into a gigantic bash-feast, and it had a lot to do with the way it was presented.

Tumsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB29 View Post

Given that Copps Coliseum was constructed less than five years earlier and was considered extremely modern and is still a well-maintained facility a quarter of a century later while most Soviet facilities were already aging as the state economy teetered on the precipice of total collapse, yes. And let's institute a new role on HFBoards: you heretofore concede the merits of any discussion by using that stupid face palm emoticon.

JaysCyYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Vader

Protip: Don't respond to trolls, and, don't generalize.

Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:28 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2189 View Post
You or any other person on this board had NOTHING to do with any of Canada Hockey's success, so stop acting like you're on the damn team.

We know Canada has probably the greatest hockey program on the planet, but some of you guys are acting like YOU play of team Canada, which I highly, highly doubt you do. You're just a fan like the rest of us, bragging about someone else's accomplishments is pointless just because you happen to live in the same country as them. Just be happy for them, cheer for them, and leave it at that.
while i certainly agree with you because it is dumb for people to brag about others' accomplishments i do understand it

this is our thing.. possibly the only thing we excel incredibly at, and yeah we love to brag about it... you need only look at robson st., yonge st., clifton hill in Niagara Falls, and countless other places across Canada where streets were shut down to celebrate. People hugging each other in the street just because they were Canadian.

do we care a little too much and brag a little too much? sure, but we're sports fans. Isn't that part of whats fun about it?

I don't see why we have to be classy fans.. because as you and i already mentioned, we aren't the athletes and don't need to pretend we are humble. I think bragging and pounding our chest about a victory we had no part in is part of being a sports fan... so Americans and every other country should just leave us be... if you don't like canadians bragging, ignore it.. it will likely be over in a week or so...

After the win on "super sunday" Canadians were getting plenty of grief... but thats fine because its sports and thats the way things are

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:35 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
let them overcelebrate their gold, hybris will bite them back sooner than later.
Good try, but you surely meant "hubris".
I know, I know, the "y" is besides the "u" on the keyboard, but someone smart enough to know about hubris should proofread himself.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:41 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumsh View Post

Quote:
The guy/gal was respectful. No need to be obnoxious.
Yes be proud, but don't be arrogant.
There's a difference between nationalism (in its non-debased definition) and jingoism, and a number of my fellow Canadians are jingoists in this and other threads.

Old
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick93 View Post
There have been 11 best on best hockey tournaments, starting with the inaugural Canada Cup in 1976, and culminating to date with the 2010 Olympics.

Thus far, Canada has won 7 times, while the entire rest of the world combined has won only 4 times.

Here are the details:

Year Tournament - Winner / Runner-up

1976 Canada Cup - Canada / Czechoslovakia

1981 Canada Cup - USSR / Canada

1984 Canada Cup - Canada / Sweden

1987 Canada Cup - Canada / USSR

1991 Canada Cup - Canada / USA

1996 World Cup - USA / Canada

1998 Olympics - Czech Republic / Russia

2002 Olympics - Canada / USA

2004 World Cup - Canada / Finland

2006 Olympics - Sweden / Finland

2010 Olympics - Canada / USA

Totals:

Canada 7 wins / 2 runners-up
USA 1 win / 3 runners-up
Russia/USSR 1 win / 2 runners-up
Sweden 1 win / 1 runner-up
Czechs 1 win / 1 runner-up
Finland 0 wins / 2 runners-up

Canada Rules!!!!
Cool. Before I read your post I never realized Peter Stastny, Marian Stastny, Vladimir Dzurilla, and Jan Starsi were Czech. For a second there, I thought they might have been Slovak. Someone better tell them, may they no longer live in ignorance.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

ITT: Canadian reminds us all, again, that Canadians have been historically better than the rest of us at hockey.

No one is shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileye View Post

Man I remember when I was 15.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
while i certainly agree with you because it is dumb for people to brag about others' accomplishments i do understand it

this is our thing.. possibly the only thing we excel incredibly at, and yeah we love to brag about it... you need only look at robson st., yonge st., clifton hill in Niagara Falls, and countless other places across Canada where streets were shut down to celebrate. People hugging each other in the street just because they were Canadian.

do we care a little too much and brag a little too much? sure, but we're sports fans. Isn't that part of whats fun about it?

I don't see why we have to be classy fans.. because as you and i already mentioned, we aren't the athletes and don't need to pretend we are humble. I think bragging and pounding our chest about a victory we had no part in is part of being a sports fan... so Americans and every other country should just leave us be... if you don't like canadians bragging, ignore it.. it will likely be over in a week or so...

After the win on "super sunday" Canadians were getting plenty of grief... but thats fine because its sports and thats the way things are
There's nothing wrong with any of that, but the poster I quoted said "prepare your team for 2014 and make us shut up." How the hell can any of us prepare the US team for 2014? We're just fans.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote