HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebeshkov to Nashville for a 2nd

Old
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Was he A UFA or an RFA?

If a UFA, the deal isn't that bad. He would have been tough to sign.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 50
So far, next to the Khabby deal, this is one of the worst I've seen. Makes no sense whatsoever...Does Tambo even actually watch hockey?? We want to rid ourselves, first and foremost, of the old and expensive players...Not the young up and comers for nothing...If he couldn't package Grebs with one of the veterans or get something better than a 50th overall pick, why bother? Absolutely no reason to do this..none. Could have kept him for a future without the expensive old players......I can see Tambellini has learned nothing...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilersfan11

The Oilers should try and send Horcoff to the New york Islanders.They do have almost 18 million in cap space.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I don't like the trade at all. He traded a player at his lowest possible value.

IMO this one will come back and bite us in the butt.
At least he's moved on from "assessing" to "buying high and selling low."

Baby steps are all we can expect from Tambo. I mean, dude just learned to tie his own shoes a few weeks back, we can't expect him to actually be competent at his job yet, can we?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

He wasn't going to take a cut from what he made this season and no NHL team is going to offer him what he got from the Oilers. He's KHL bound.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Doubtful the Oilers can move Staois or even Souray ... I think they had to move Grebs as a result, he may have been the only d-man we outside of Visnovsky that's easy to move.
If somehow this proves to be true then we are truly hooped as long as Tambellini is at the helm.

It makes no sense to trade simply for the sake of trading when your in this situation.

The guys that need to be moved are the ones you mentioned, if a deal isn't doable for those guys then you don't make a trade and you certainly don't trade someone you didn't originally intend on trading just for the sake of doing something.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
Ugh, not a good start. Staios for a 7th?
we take that 7th and smile all the way to the bank.

The reality is that we are dead last in gaa. Our defense can't slow anybody down and they aren't scoring much. Our defence played as bad as any in the league this year so we shouldn't expect much.

Grebs needs a QA of close to 3 mill next year or he is gone as ufa. There is no way we should be spending that much on him. If his QA was 1.5 mill, he would still be an oiler.

Mr Sakich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
MisterD

On a side note - kinda interesting that we're trading with Nashville. When's the last time we made a trade with them?

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I agree. Either he signs somewhere else next year, or we have to pay him $3.5M+ per year to sign him. At that price, he simply is not worth it.

So the fact that we got anything for him is a bonus IMO.
Yeah when you put it that way it's OK I guess. I was thinking maybe they could do a bigger deal with Cogs + Grebs, but I get the feeling Tamby might hang on to Cogs and give him another year at least.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
So far, next to the Khabby deal, this is one of the worst I've seen. Makes no sense whatsoever...Does Tambo even actually watch hockey?? We want to rid ourselves, first and foremost, of the old and expensive players...Not the young up and comers for nothing...If he couldn't package Grebs with one of the veterans or get something better than a 50th overall pick, why bother? Absolutely no reason to do this..none. Could have kept him for a future without the expensive old players......I can see Tambellini has learned nothing...
They have to saw off salary cap by any means necessary.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OILW30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
If that is the going rate, then Pisani / Moreau / Comrie & Staios are worth absolutely nothing on the trade front....
And Souray.

But we already knew that. We should just be happy if we get anything for any of these guys. Except for the UFAs, they have negative value.

OILW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Was he A UFA or an RFA?

If a UFA, the deal isn't that bad. He would have been tough to sign.
An RFA.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SlowFreshOil*

I love watching fellow fans severely overvalue the players on the Oilers.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daneo21

Lets face it all you people who are complaining about the trade value and how we "should have gotten more" need to understand this isnt NHL 10 where you can get whatever you want, this is real life and its a business and they are there and you are not!... I think its a great trade, as we wouldnt have resigned him this summer and we still get something out of it!

Also this proves that we are finally in a rebuild mode!!!

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Slats432

I can't believe so many hate this deal. The guy has been brutal this year. When people talked about Team Russia at the Olympics they said.."If Grebeshkov is on your team, then you have big problems at the back end."

He makes $3.15M and will get qualified at $3.5.

People are saying the KHL is a possibility.

We need to move some bodies out and rebuild the team. Grebs won't make this team better long term.

I am happy enough.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
smithboy89

Quote:
Really? This is what we need.

Clearing cap space isn't fun. You can't send out coal and expect diamonds in return.

smithboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
An RFA.
Thanks.

Back to my original thought on the deal then

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Thats a good return for this years Grebeshkov. Last year, he would have obviously brought back more.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
TheGreatone94

If we can flip Souray or Gilbert and get Volchenkov back we could really revamp our defense.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gusher

Why are so many upset by this deal?

With the one-year-deals that Grebs has signed over the last 2 years I wouldn't doubt that Grebeshkov was going to walk at the end of the year. He sees this team is in rebuild mode now.

He was a RFA at season's end. Getting a 2nd Round pick in this year's draft for him is just fine.

EDIT - TSN had listed him as a UFA. But other sites say RFA.

Either way, I think he was either KHL bound or not going to return to the Oilers.

Even OntOilFan agrees so it must be fine!

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDman View Post
there's also been rumours floating for awhile that Grebs would like to head to the KHL - would people view this as such a bad move if he left for the KHL after this year?
Maybe that was a possibility, but there's no reason he had to let word get out. I'm surprised we couldn't get a B prospect in the deal. Grebs should be worth more than Leopold..

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Grebs has been HORRIBLE this season. How's Tambo supposed to deal in a position of strength with with a player like that?
exactly. this 2nd rounder is better that resigning him at the qualifying rate, considering his play this season.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
How do you think the conversation went?

NSH: Hey Tambo, how about Staios for a 2nd?
EDM: Hmm, we'd rather trade Grebs, who has more upside and is younger than Staios for that 2nd. Does that work?
NSH: Yeah, OK.

There's a reason other teams are not trading for a guy like Staios. I don't know why people cannot understand that.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fisher For Selke

You guys should consider yourselves lucky you got a 2nd for him

Fisher For Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alex87

Grebs was one of my favourite players. Disappointed he's gone for only a second, but... I guess cap space is also a consideration. Still, I thought we could have at least gotten a roster player for him. In any case, good luck Grebs.

Also, interesting Nashville would trade for an impending Russian RFA given what happened with Radulov... perhaps one consideration in them only offering up a second.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote