HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller-Blading to Ice Skating

Old
08-01-2010, 07:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Roller-Blading to Ice Skating

Just curious, does developing techniques on rollerblades end up transfering to the ice? I'm asking because the nearest rink is about half an hour away, and the only way I get any skating done is by roller blading around the neighborhood. I was wondering if its worth it, or if I'm getting nothing out of it. Any ideas?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 07:29 PM
dpixel8

vCash: 500
More than likely just stamina. You're not going to learn how to hockey stop properly, it's a lot easier to balance on rubber than it is on metal/ice. Probably other things I haven't mentioned here.

I'd say figure out how much it means for you to want to play on ice. I drive 50 mins each way to one of the best rinks in the country, due to the quality of the ice there. Other than that, closest one to me is about 20 mins. Have to make the sacrifice if you want to play.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Thanks for the input.

And as for driving to the rinks, I'd definitely drive an hour a day for skating, if I could. ;D

But thats kind of what I figured. Thanks anaways, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 08:44 PM
nullterm

It's better than doing nothing at all. Use both.

If you're looking to improve basic forward strides, crossovers, conditioning, speed, then it's a decent tool.

Stops, edge use, transitions, etc for the most part are different.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
AIREAYE

I went from playing ice to adding roller as a past time, I can do backwards crossovers on roller but not on ice and can transition easier too, cant stop with roller though haha

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
It's better than doing nothing at all. Use both.

If you're looking to improve basic forward strides, crossovers, conditioning, speed, then it's a decent tool.

Stops, edge use, transitions, etc for the most part are different.
+1, if you skate once a week you will improve slowly or barely maintain if already a good skater.

Once a week + 3 X on the roller blades and you will improve a lot faster.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 06:49 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I went from playing ice to adding roller as a past time, I can do backwards crossovers on roller but not on ice and can transition easier too, cant stop with roller though haha
I'm opposite. Crossovers are the same for me, especially forward crossovers. I can transition decently on ice, but roller I suck. I think I still have a lazy habits to work out with not dragging against my edge in between which you can't do on wheels.

I can't stop either in roller , but no trouble at all on ice.

Old
08-02-2010, 06:51 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
+1, if you skate once a week you will improve slowly or barely maintain if already a good skater.

Once a week + 3 X on the roller blades and you will improve a lot faster.
Exactly. Always go for ice given the choice. But roller makes an okay substitute.

Old
08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
robmneilson

I feel like everytime I play roller hockey, it always takes me a few shifts to get back to skating normally on the ice...lately I haven't played roller due to that.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
nullterm

I work that out in the warmup with a hard skate, some stop drills, and a bunch of 180 transitions.

Old
08-02-2010, 11:49 AM
wearethegreek

Get a set of sprungs. Never worry about it again.

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
HowToHockey

I the guys at hfboards have come to the conclusion (from previous threads) that the major difference between ice and roller is the use of edges in ice hockey. On ice hockey you have edges that give you a bit of lateral movement, which changes the way you turn and stop, so this is the biggest adjustment you will have to make

Also shooting a ball is similar to shooting a puck, but you will have to re-learn the wrist shot when you first start. Here is an article I wrote about switching from shooting a ball to shooting a puck I wrote it for a roller hockey blog, so if you like roller hockey then you might want to dig through that site, he has some good posts about roller hockey.

To summarize the article the difference is caused because of the difference in shape, weight, and material. With a ball you can do a quick snap, with the blade left upright, and you will get enough power on the ball. The ball is lighter, so it will be easier to get a hard shot, the ball is round so you don't need any special wrist flicking action to get it elevated, and it is hollow so it kind of "rebounds" off the stick when you shoot it, helping increase the shot speed.

With a puck there are a bunch of ways to shoot it, but the way that gives you the most powerful shot involves drawing the puck back, pulling it accross your body, and shooting. If you were to try that same technique with a ball it would almost always roll under your blade.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Yeah...your biggest benefit is gonna be conditioning. Inline skating can help, just try not to pick your feet up too much or you won't be very efficient when gliding on the ice. You can really develop your stick handling on the street though so be sure to practice that.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote