HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Mike Babcock a good coach now?

Old
03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
DanZ

vCash: 500
Mike Babcock a good coach now?

Didn't see a thread about this so here it goes. Many Canadian fans said earlier in the tournament that Babcock was a horrible coach and whatnot. Well is he a good coach now that Canadians have won gold?

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

When was he a bad coach....?

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

He got his **** together after the german game and was great then. But he was absolutely micromanaging the team in a way that was detrimental to the teams success beforehand. I mean, Iginla benched or on the 4th line? The Shark line being played for 20 minutes a game? Playing Pronger as much as he did when he was in pylon mode?
Terrible.
He did what he does best in Detroit though during the romp on Germany, and that's let the players dictate the game.
A solid B+ for Mike B.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
now????

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:12 PM
DanZ

Now that the team has won gold. Many were criticizing him, saying he was a horrible coach. But the team won gold, so does that make him a good coach for team Canada then?

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Now that the team has won gold. Many were criticizing him, saying he was a horrible coach. But the team won gold, so does that make him a good coach for team Canada then?
No, I would never want him to coach this team again.
They need a guy who'll play the hot hand a understand the short format length.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
EdmFlyersfan

I agree Babcock is not the right coach, there are better choices out there.

Babcock almost screwed up Gold by icing the wrong D-pairing in the final minutes of the game.

Also, early on he was fumbling around with the lines a little too much.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
How about Ron Wilson?

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Kave Deon

If Detroit doesn't make the playoffs this year - and I'm not saying that they won't get in - could he be fired at season's end? How much faith does Ken Holland have in him?

Kave Deon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
robdicks

meh he made some bad decisions in the tournament... (the most blatenly obvious the usa game on super sunday).... but i never thought he was a bad coach.. he has won a cup... but i felt as the tournament progressed he wasn't overcoaching as much

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Big Phil

I am one Canadian that got on his case early on. Stuff like not calling a timeout in the USA round robin game and not playing Crosby as much. In the dying seconds of the gold medal game I couldn't understand why Niedermayer was on the ice and why Getzlaf took that crucial faceoff. If you have Bergeron on the team for a specific reason why not let him take that faceoff and be on the ice to protect the lead? I noticed that right away prior to the goal.

But like all Canadians I forget that this guy has been to three Cup finals (winning one) and also won that very important WJC championship for Canada in 1997 vs. a strong US team. He came through in the end but he nearly failed allowing Canada to sit back in a defensive shell in the third period. You never protect a lead until about 2 minutes left. Until then, it's always pedal to the medal. This is why I am glad Ken Hitchcock was nowhere near the bench (think 2008 World Championships gold game).

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Babcock returned, but sooner or later they have to give the reigns to Brent Sutter. That is the next best logical step in this process, a less militant version of Mike Keenan

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:17 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
When was he a bad coach....?
After the loss to the US in the prelims? At least a lot of Canadian fans seemed to think so.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Lux Aurumque*

No. Babcock is not a very good coach, and I hope he's not behind the bench for Canada ever again. He made a lot of questionable coaching decisions throughout the tournament, including the gold medal game.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:24 AM
SteelCityWings1034

OK, no one on these boards is a coach so.....here goes.

I mean, Iginla benched or on the 4th line?

Maybe he was trying to spark a fire? Or motivate him? Seems like it worked to me.

The Shark line being played for 20 minutes a game?

It's a short tournament....players get tired...momentum switches....why not play that line the most in meaningless games? Rest up the other lines for other games....there's so much to take into consideration.....Makes sense to me...

Playing Pronger as much as he did when he was in pylon mode?

Pronger didn't play that much, infact he was benched for the first 2 periods of one of the games....again.

No, I would never want him to coach this team again.

You're right. You obviously know way more than Steve Yzerman and company.
You should be the coach. I vote for you.

If Detroit doesn't make the playoffs this year - and I'm not saying that they won't get in - could he be fired at season's end? How much faith does Ken Holland have in him?

No chance does Babcock get let go. Regardless of the outcome for the 2010 Wings.

Babcock has won at every single level he has coached.

The mere fact that he's kept the Red Wings in the playoff hunt this season is remarkable. I think people around these boards really underestimate just how badly the Wings have been affected by injuries this season.

Babcock is IMO, a top 3, if not the best coach in the NHL.

Yes i'm a Wings fan, but I said this many moons ago before he was coach of the Wings....and was jumping up and down the day the Wings replaced Lewis with Babcock.

SteelCityWings1034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

A country's hockey team win the gold Medal 24 hours ago.

HF's reaction?

A thread where many criticize the starting goaltender, who went 5-0 in goal.

A thread branding the 22 y/o future HOF, Cup winning captain who scored the Medal-clinching goal as a guy who is just "lucky to be surrounded by good teammates.

A thread challenging the guy who was primarily responsible for selecting the roster.

And here, a thread criticizing the Cup winning coach who managed this hastily thrown together roster to its 1st place medal.

Results clearly do not matter. Because at least some HF posters apparently know better.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:06 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
A country's hockey team win the gold Medal 24 hours ago.

HF's reaction?

A thread where many criticize the starting goaltender, who went 5-0 in goal.

A thread branding the 22 y/o future HOF, Cup winning captain who scored the Medal-clinching goal as a guy who is just "lucky to be surrounded by good teammates.

A thread challenging the guy who was primarily responsible for selecting the roster.

And here, a thread criticizing the Cup winning coach who managed this hastily thrown together roster to its 1st place medal.

Results clearly do not matter. Because at least some HF posters apparently know better.

Well said.

Babcock won the gold, that is what matters.

Someone earlier criticized Babcock for overplaying Pronger/Niedermayer. One has to understand that a good coach puts a lot of faith into players of that ilk. He can trust those players; they are known quantities, exceptional players. He is making the safe bet.

An observation of Doughty: he can be beaten with speed. A few times in the tournament he was beaten by a forward driving to the net; Doughty was unable to push them to the outside or cut off their angle in time. He was either bailed out by his goaltender, got a little lucky (once he fell but IMO blindly swatted the puck away), or a combination of both.

An observation of Niedermayer: It is no secret to anyone, but Niedermayer is getting old...he played well in the tournament, but I had always maintained that despite a clear drop in his regular-season performance, he still brought it all when it mattered most; he was still a dominating player during the toughest games...yet during the tournament, it really hit home that the guy is running of gas...he was obviously giving it all during the tournament, but he wasn't at the level I am so accustomed to seing him at...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote