HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Sound of Vancouver when Crosby Scored

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
  #76
Patchey*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gaylord, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.


The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.


Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
Cool story, but did you forget the part about super-bowlesque parties going on in all major cities in Canada the rest of the night? And 30 million Steelers fans, thats funny

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:59 PM
  #77
daver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.


The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.


Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
This isn't meant to be an insult but there isn't an equivalent sporting event in the States except the Miracle on Ice that is comparable to what this game meant to Canadians so it's understandable that you don't get it. Think Italy or Brazil winning the World Cup at home.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:06 AM
  #78
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
I have. It's called two superbowls and a Stanley cup victory within the last five years. Don't even try to say "it's not close" because it is the exact same thing. It is only the exact same thing if every single person in the city was out partying and the entire city was shut down. I mean the entire city, even side streets. There is nowhere to go. Not to mention the million people parades two days later, that are just as fun and crazy.


I know Vancouver didn't have the latter, but if the entire city was shut down, and I mean ENTIRE not just a few streets then it was like Pittsburgh's celebrations.


Holmes catch in the superbowl > Crosbys goal. So don't think I haven't experienced something like you folks have.
This is what happens when delusions of grandeur replace common sense.

You are out of your element here, bro. Like another poster, I hope you can experience what we did someday. Then, you'll know how foolish you are coming off right now.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
  #79
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairweather View Post
The sound of joy.
The sound of relief imo....

Great game for both teams imo.. but it was won by Canada in overtime if I recall, and created by a team thought to be a fourth seed. A great victory by Canada and I congratulate you but it was close, closer than any of you would have dreamed of or willing to admit, and we (the USA) played in the game as well...

Next time....next time.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:21 AM
  #80
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.


The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.


Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
You cannot relate because the US does not watch a single sport which both defines your country and is played on an international stage, best on best. Hockey is to Canada what Soccer is to Brazil and England or Cricket is to Pakistan and India. You can't relate to a national celebration. Nothing like it exists in the US. Nothing. The last time the US cheered the way we cheered on Sunday was when WW 2 ended. Seriously.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:45 AM
  #81
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
You cannot relate because the US does not watch a single sport which both defines your country and is played on an international stage, best on best. Hockey is to Canada what Soccer is to Brazil and England or Cricket is to Pakistan and India. You can't relate to a national celebration. Nothing like it exists in the US. Nothing. The last time the US cheered the way we cheered on Sunday was when WW 2 ended. Seriously.
Come on, the USA cheered quite loud in 1980 when we beat the Russians as you watched... I respect your emotion for a sport but your nationalism behind a sport is not unique.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:00 AM
  #82
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.


The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.


Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
No, No and NO. This just didn't happen in Vancouver. It happened from coast to coast to coast across Canada. From St. John's, Newfoundland to the Queen Charlotte Islands and to Baffin Island.

Here are just two examples of the parties that happened across Canada at the exact same time:

Winnipeg:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-85785907.html

Toronto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHc6VGIK8-I

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:13 AM
  #83
Brodie
Moderator
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
In fact what are the raw numbers? Other than Soccer; I cannot think of another sport which has had such penetration on another continent. The rest of the world doesn't really watch American football, baseball (except Japan, South Korea), or basketball. Maybe cricket? Tennis?
You're way off if you believe hockey is second to soccer in popularity. More people care about basketball world wide, if we're being totally honest with ourselves. It may not have the competition hockey does, but it's easily more popular.

Hockey's reach is extremely limited and the countries where it has a stronghold are all relatively small. Basketball's popularity in the US, South America and China alone > hockey's worldwide reach.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:18 AM
  #84
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
You're way off if you believe hockey is second to soccer in popularity. More people care about basketball world wide, if we're being totally honest with ourselves. It may not have the competition hockey does, but it's easily more popular.

Hockey's reach is extremely limited and the countries where it has a stronghold are all relatively small. Basketball's popularity in the US, South America and China alone > hockey's worldwide reach.
Yep, and I hate the NBA to boot...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
  #85
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter View Post
No, No and NO. This just didn't happen in Vancouver. It happened from coast to coast to coast across Canada. From St. John's, Newfoundland to the Queen Charlotte Islands and to Baffin Island.

Here are just two examples of the parties that happened across Canada at the exact same time:

Winnipeg:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-85785907.html

Toronto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHc6VGIK8-I

Thats all great. It is proving my point more. Toronto has no chance at a cup and Winnipeg obviously doesn't either. This is all they have to celebrate. If Toronto won a cup it would be worse than that, or at the very least the exact same.


I know it was great, I'm not saying that. However, it wasn't like winning WWII...lol, lets all get serious. Great win but lets all grip reality for a second, the Canadians were the favorite.

metalan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:27 AM
  #86
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Thats all great. It is proving my point more. Toronto has no chance at a cup and Winnipeg obviously doesn't either. This is all they have to celebrate. If Toronto won a cup it would be worse than that, or at the very least the exact same.


I know it was great, I'm not saying that. However, it wasn't like winning WWII...lol, lets all get serious. Great win but lets all grip reality for a second, the Canadians were the favorite.
Dunno about that. It took winning the Olympics for Canada to pass Russia in the IIHF rankings. Between last Olympics and now, 3 different teams have topped the yearly #1 rank:

2009 rankings
2008 rankings
2007 rankings

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:30 AM
  #87
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,055
vCash: 500
If Canada kept the lead and played a dominating game the celebrations would gradually start towards the end of the game. This being an overtime goal created a single point for the start of celebration. The amount of energy equaled a mini Big Bang. They better check GM Place for black holes.

xtr3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM
  #88
Brodie
Moderator
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
If Canadians are comparing winning a hockey medal at the Olympics to the end of a global war... I'm not sure what to say.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:33 AM
  #89
Robert
BOB
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
If Canada kept the lead and played a dominating game the celebrations would gradually start towards the end of the game. This being an overtime goal created a single point for the start of celebration. The amount of energy equaled a mini Big Bang. They better check GM Place for black holes.
Oh my, then next time get a team good enough to win in regulation... Your lucky you even celebrated!

If there was no OT the USA would have won the Olympics dude....


Last edited by Robert: 03-04-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:45 AM
  #90
CallMeJerry
Registered User
 
CallMeJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If Canadians are comparing winning a hockey medal at the Olympics to the end of a global war... I'm not sure what to say.
It was only in response to a dude comparing a league football championship for one city which has several teams to root for with an Olympic Gold Medal winning overtime goal in a sport that defines a nation.

Let's agree that both comparisons are laughable.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:50 AM
  #91
metalan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
It was only in response to a dude comparing a league football championship for one city which has several teams to root for with an Olympic Gold Medal winning overtime goal in a sport that defines a nation.

Let's agree that both comparisons are laughable.

The comparison to an NFL championship, which is the most watched spectacle in the world besides the world cup, is easily as close as that, EASILY. I understand Canadians hate the NFL, which I would if I lived there, but it is certainly close.

metalan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:02 AM
  #92
Meganuck*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The comparison to an NFL championship, which is the most watched spectacle in the world besides the world cup, is easily as close as that, EASILY. I understand Canadians hate the NFL, which I would if I lived there, but it is certainly close.
NFL championship is watched in North America. Noone gives a flying **** about the NFL worldwide.

Those 1 game a year contests in the UK mean nothing. It's just a spectacle. Like bringing the circus to town.

You cant even remotely compare the NFL to the World Cup.

Superbowl and Olympic Gold medal game were definately close. Worldwide, I wouldnt be surprised if that Gold Medal came beat the Superbowl.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
  #93
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
NFL championship is watched in North America. Noone gives a flying **** about the NFL worldwide.

Those 1 game a year contests in the UK mean nothing. It's just a spectacle. Like bringing the circus to town.

You cant even remotely compare the NFL to the World Cup.

Superbowl and Olympic Gold medal game were definately close. Worldwide, I wouldnt be surprised if that Gold Medal came beat the Superbowl.
That's not exactly true. There are people overseas who care about the NFL... and they were all born and raised in North America.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:41 AM
  #94
daver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Thats all great. It is proving my point more. Toronto has no chance at a cup and Winnipeg obviously doesn't either. This is all they have to celebrate. If Toronto won a cup it would be worse than that, or at the very least the exact same.


I know it was great, I'm not saying that. However, it wasn't like winning WWII...lol, lets all get serious. Great win but lets all grip reality for a second, the Canadians were the favorite.
Given recent showings (2006) it certainly wasn't a slam dunk win but the bigger factor is the sense of relief that we felt with the win. It's utterly crazy and irrational but our national identity is tied to being the best hockey country in the world. We shudder at the thought of falling from the top spot. This, IMO, is the biggest difference between this win and any Superbowl, NBA or any other club championship. The only thing I could see being crazier would be England winning the World Cup.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:57 AM
  #95
PoutineSp00nZ
Registered User
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
If Canadians are comparing winning a hockey medal at the Olympics to the end of a global war... I'm not sure what to say.
Yup, one person says something dumb and the entire nation must agree with him.

Way to paint 30 some million people with the same brush.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
  #96
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines
 
Bingo Sens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The comparison to an NFL championship, which is the most watched spectacle in the world besides the world cup, is easily as close as that, EASILY. I understand Canadians hate the NFL, which I would if I lived there, but it is certainly close.
First off, Canadians don't hate the NFL

Second of all, you and so many others are completely missing the point. When the Steelers won, America didn't have a 12 hour city-closing party. The whole COUNTRY was united in that victory, not just 1 city. This is why they do not compare.

Bingo Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:55 AM
  #97
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,667
vCash: 500
How can you compare the super bowl to an international event like this? The super bowl is not an international event. The only reason the ratings are so high is because of the population in the US. It's kind like how people say cricket is is the second most popular sport in the world, but in reality it's only because of India and Pakistan.

Super Bowl = a city celebrating.

Gold Medal = a country celebrating.

Completely different.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:04 AM
  #98
lennie
Registered User
 
lennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The comparison to an NFL championship, which is the most watched spectacle in the world besides the world cup, is easily as close as that, EASILY. I understand Canadians hate the NFL, which I would if I lived there, but it is certainly close.
Huh?? I love the NFL as do a majority of my friends who love sports. Don't know where you get that from.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
  #99
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house
 
Extra Texture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: This is OUT HOUSE!!!
Country: Sark
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The comparison to an NFL championship, which is the most watched spectacle in the world besides the world cup, is easily as close as that, EASILY. I understand Canadians hate the NFL, which I would if I lived there, but it is certainly close.
Hmm, I cant tell if you really believe everything you're saying, or if you just like arguing. Based on these weak ass straw man arguments I am guessing its just a little bitterness creeping out.

Firstly, lets make a few things clear. As far as inclusiveness, a nation of millions cheering a championship >>>>>>>>> a single city's championship.

Not to say one is better than the other, but one is certainly more inclusive, and nationally defining than the other. Its reasonable to assume someone can get behind their country whatever the sport, whereas in a club sport, if they dont follow it, they probably dont care. Just look at all those people who watch the superbowl merely for the commercials and the spectacle, rather than the game.

Secondly, the olympics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the super bowl in terms of global visibility. This one isnt even close. A few fans waving terrible towels at a bar in Kobe, Japan might be indicative to you of a sports global reach, but dont decieve yourself. Whatver the profitability or marketing savvy of the NFL might be.

The Super Bowl is played every year, and I am sure the Steelers will win many more in your lifetime. But the gold medal win is already elevated to a hallowed place in the minds of Canadians. This was a moment that people will remember for their whole lives. Not just people in one city. People across a whole nation.

It was a coast-to-coast party that kicked off with a goal medal in the national past time on home ice (in OT no less, by biggest the Canadian phenom since Lindros), to be the exclaimation point on an extremely successful olympic games, and assured the hosts had the most impressive gold medal haul in history. All these things came together at once, and I dont know if we will ever see something like that in our lifetimes again.

I'll say that again. Something like that may never be seen in our lifetimes. Thats pretty ****ing special, and Canada celebrated like they knew it.

and btw, trying to diminish it by saying "Canada was the favorite anyway" is both sad and inaccurate. First, Russia was the pre-tourney favorite according to many. Second, did the Steelers win taste less sweet because they were the favorites against Arizona and Seattle? I didnt think so.

Case closed, "and its not even close"

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  #100
Valverde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gdansk, Poland
Country: Poland
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
The WORLD watched the superbowl too, so whats your point? In terms of celebrations the two are exactly the same. There are probably as many Steeler fans in the world as the entire nation of Canada, seriously, so how is it any different? More people also watched the Holmes catch in the WORLD, so whats your point?

At the very least the Superbowl is equal to the gold medal game. You can ask any American and they will laugh at that question. However, I can at least see where you're coming from.


The bottom line is you were in one place at one time celebrating the gold medal game, which we'll say is Vancouver. I was in Pittsburgh celebrating a Stanley cup championship or superbowl. It is the EXACT same thing celebration wise, if not better because we have had three parades. The point is the dude said I couldn't comprehend what it was like that day Crosby scored, which I can.


Holmes catch is equal to Crosbys goal anyday of the week.
American handegg in non-existant in Europe. I mean, snooker and darts are probably drawing more attention. Pull your head out, only you, Americans are interested in handegg. And the number of viewers is irrelevant, because what, 100 million of Americans watch Superbowl? Add a couple of millions worldwide and thats your number. For Gold Medal hockey game? It was something around 50-60 millions in North America, add another 60 worldwide. See the difference?

Valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.