HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First time in mens league

Old
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
JayK47

vCash: 500
First time in mens league

I finally joined the mens C league after about a year in adult hockey class and rat hockey. though I was never taught where to line up when face off. I dont know what position I'll be playing tomorrow but can someone show me where I can get some information on where to position yourself when face off?

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Renneys Revenge

not to sound like a jerk but how did you play adult hockey for a year and never learn where to line up? assuming that maybe you just mean skating lessons or something, just line up opposite the opposing player. if you are playing right wing line up opposite the other teams left wing. if you are on defense line up next to the other defenseman on your team and across from the other teams. pretty simple stuff. if you are referring to faceoffs in your zone or the other teams zone just ask another player on the ice it really depends on the strategy you are attempting at that point. good luck

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
OprtnShtdwn

If this is your first time playing ice hockey in a league.... Drop down to a D League, not an C league. D League is basically developmental, which is for individuals who are just getting started and don't play well.

Around here in Pittsburgh, we have an Upper D & Lower D, then C, B, and A. I'd strongly suggest you go to a D League. No disrespect.

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OprtnShtdwn View Post
If this is your first time playing ice hockey in a league.... Drop down to a D League, not an C league. D League is basically developmental, which is for individuals who are just getting started and don't play well.

Around here in Pittsburgh, we have an Upper D & Lower D, then C, B, and A. I'd strongly suggest you go to a D League. No disrespect.
Sounds like he actually knows how to play well though, just doesn't know the rules that well, in which case I got to ask...Have you never watched hockey on TV? That's pretty much where I learned where to stand for the face off when I started playing.

You pretty much want to make a formation like this:

(LW) (C) (RW)
(D) (D)

LW= Left Wing (Forward)
C = Center (Forward)
RW = Right Wing (Forward)
D = Defense (Defense)

So that's basically good in all situations, unless your team is trying to run some more advanced play in the offensive or defensive zone, but in that case they would probably tell you where to stand anyways.

Just decide if you want to be a forward or defense man I guess!

Good luck tomorrow!

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

I think he might be more concerned with things like defensive zone face offs, which are a little different

Here are some diagrams of defensive zone face offs:

http://www.lifetimehockey.com/play-D...ne-faceoff.htm

http://www.jes-hockey.com/animated/p...eoffsetup.html

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
I finally joined the mens C league after about a year in adult hockey class and rat hockey. though I was never taught where to line up when face off. I dont know what position I'll be playing tomorrow but can someone show me where I can get some information on where to position yourself when face off?
Do you have a television? And watch any hockey at all? I would assume you do, so just pay attention to how the guys on tv line up and copy.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
JayK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
I think he might be more concerned with things like defensive zone face offs, which are a little different

Here are some diagrams of defensive zone face offs:

http://www.lifetimehockey.com/play-D...ne-faceoff.htm

http://www.jes-hockey.com/animated/p...eoffsetup.html

Yup, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

We call D league a "Rec" league here. (Recreational) and some how they combined rec league and C league together. (not too many teams I guess) so it is "Rec-C league" I actually paid attention when I was watching Hawks game today and got some good idea from it as well.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
I smell a HeadCoach post coming up soon

His posts will help you tons.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:29 AM
backhander

good luck...don't be a hack or goon. being a helmet is unnecessary. respect the game and have fun

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote