HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Right now, better rivalry: USA/CAN or CAN/RUS

View Poll Results: Better current rivalry
CAN/USA 154 66.96%
CAN/RUS 76 33.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Mr Lahey*

vCash: 500
I know I may recieve some flak, but I saw someone mention on here that the US team put together for this Olympics ggained advantage from the small ice.

I believe this is true as well, and I don't expect the same squad to perform as well on bigger ice. We will see.

As for the Russians, I think the young talent they have, with all the speed, will be dominant in Socchi, more so then I ever believed they would be here in Canada (had them to finish 4th).

Russia does have some good talent on the d-end, I personally see Kulikov becoming a top 30 d-man in the next 2-3 years.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:04 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
It's clearly USA right now.

1) They are our neighbors.

2) They Won the WJC this year against Canada

3) We faced them in Women hockey's final for 2 consecutive Olympics

4) The men's final
Right now it's USA. Past has been Russia. Future? Canada out of the mix and its USA/Russia?

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
boozeash

I personally think the Canada Russia Rivalry is more intense because the Russians go into every tournament expecting to win. I don't think fans or members of the USA team have the same level of expectations. Also, I find the Russian players to be a little less sportsmenlike, than the Americans, Ovechkin for example is a very cocky guy who plays dirty, talks trash, and is ungracious in victory and defeat. The Americans, however, are always very polite and quick to compliment their opponents. Another team that i think is being overlooked is Sweden. I hate when Canada loses to the Swedes and i don't even enjoy it too much when they beat Sweden because i find their fans to be very sore losers. It may just be a few dozen homers that give their country a bad name but it seems they are always complaining about missed calls and this and that.

boozeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Oilers1*

A lot of people are citing history for the CAN/RUS rivalry. But its just that; 'history'.

The Russians, while producing the best high-end talent in the world right now, have not won anything in forever.

Meanwhile, three of the last six best-on-best tournaments have come down to Canada and the US.

CAN/USA for me. I would love to see Russia make it interesting again, though.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gift of Gaborik View Post
I was merely responding to the implication that the US won't be Canada's biggest rival next Olympics. ... in my opinion, the US is going to be way ahead of Russia by then.
you can't be serious.

while Team USA played well and deserve that silver medal, the backbone of the run was Ryan Miller -- not the offense or defense. they will have to upgrade both to be a consistent medal favorite as they wont always have the best goaltender in the world hanging out.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Only Americans would pick CAN/USA.

It is 110% CAN/RUS.

Back and forth number 1 and 2 in IIHF standings, historical rivalry, passionate countries about the game, etc..

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
elriz

Canada / Russia final to a Canadian: "Oh wow, another one for the ages, can we stop that offense?"

Canada / USA final to a Canadian: "If we don't beat them they're going to rub it in our faces, and then make a ****ing movie out of it. We can not lose this game for our sanity."

Old
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
Canada / Russia final to a Canadian: "Oh wow, another one for the ages, can we stop that offense?"

Canada / USA final to a Canadian: "If we don't beat them they're going to rub it in our faces, and then make a ****ing movie out of it. We can not lose this game for our sanity."

lol you were obviously wrong about that first thought

Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
lol you were obviously wrong about that first thought
this time, but historically vs the Russians in the Olympics, Canada has been the loser.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
this time, but historically vs the Russians in the Olympics, Canada has been the loser.
Yeah I was just goofin. I really think that US-CAN rivalry would be a really good thing if it became more heated. Imagine what something like that would do for hockey in America. If there's one thing Americans love, its to hate other places

Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Yeah I was just goofin. I really think that US-CAN rivalry would be a really good thing if it became more heated. Imagine what something like that would do for hockey in America. If there's one thing Americans love, its to hate other places
100%. I think were on the cusp of having a 1a) and 1b) rivalry situation. I think the US needs to win one more major tournament at the men's level.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
At the moment its Canada/USA.... but if you ask me which is my fav or who I'd rather see, I would say Canada/Russia

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:25 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalapenoPeppa View Post
Only Americans would pick CAN/USA.

It is 110% CAN/RUS.

Back and forth number 1 and 2 in IIHF standings, historical rivalry, passionate countries about the game, etc..
Wow 110%! Does your speakers go to "11"

I understand your comment "Only Americans would pick CAN/USA" if you were the first one to post, but you have many fellow Canadians picking that rivalry. So even your hindsite isn't 20/20 Good job!

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Canada vs. Russia. It really isn't close.

Not many aside from Americans take US hockey very seriously, hence the #5 IIHF ranking.

You had a good goalie, big deal.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:16 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Not many aside from Americans take US hockey very seriously, hence the #5 IIHF ranking.

No one but Americans take USA hockey seriously? I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion base on a IIHF ranking.

As for the poll, it really should only by voted on by Canadians. They are the only ones that would be able to properly rank the rivalries since they are the only ones involved in both. As an American it would pretty hard for me (or any non-Canadian) to fully grasp what the Russia/Canada rivalry means to Canadians. Or what the USA/Canada rivalry means to them as well.

I know that the country I want to beat the most in hockey is Canada. Partially because they are the best, the gold standard if you will when it comes to hockey. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Its also due in part to growing up/living in the Buffalo area playing and coaching against Canadian teams for years in tourneys. But I can't speak to what those games meant to my Canadian opponents. Other than to say they made it clear they weren't going to lose to any damn American team.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-04-2010 at 08:26 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:45 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:

Agree with you. Can I grab some fries with my burger when you get back to work?

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Americans have a long way to go before reaching the level of Canada and Russia.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
hockeydemon05

Send a message via AIM to hockeydemon05
Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. Please elaborate.

So, since no one cares except for American's, they have the #5 IIHF ranking? Okay, so there must be a typo. Forgiving that, please explain the logic.

hockeydemon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey* View Post
3 Olympics does not erase 60 years of history.

Also, the CAN-RUS game was almost as big as the CAN-USA game for me, despite there not being a medal up for grabs.

Like I said, though, if America can stay ultra competitive (aka contending) in every level up until the next Olympics, then things could change. USA just needs more international success to grow their consistency on all levels. I could see it happening.
The Canada/Russia rivalry was based mostly upon politics. Once Russians began entering the NHL the rivalry began to fade quickly. The emergence of the United States since 1991 has meant they have become Canada's biggest rivals. Just look at the evidence. 1991 Canada Cup final, 1996 world cup final, 2002 Olympic Gold medal game, 2010 olympic gold medal game. That is 4 of the last 7 best on best championships where Canada and the United States have met in the championship. Perhaps the biggest proof is the difference in the buzz between the United States against Russia games in the early stages of the tournament. There was a lot more buzz surrounding the preliminary game with the United States than with the Russia quarterfinal game.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:08 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
There was a lot more buzz surrounding the preliminary game with the United States than with the Russia quarterfinal game.
Personally, I was a lot more jacked up for the quarterfinal.

Even more so than the final, in some ways.

One of the pre-tournament favourites was about to go home without any hardware.

But I can understand why other people would feel differently.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Yea, anything you say.

The facts are those world championships aren't best against best. When was the last time Russia has won anything best against best? Try 1981, or 29 years ago.

1991 was the changing of the guard for hockey. The USA will play Canada again for Gold in 2014, as long as tehy allow the NHL to play.

Russia was far and away the most overrated team in the tourney and they are the most overrated hockey power. The US has clearly passed them and won't look back again.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Actually Jaco, you can even go back to The 1984 Canada Cup for the official arrival of the US as a legit hockey power. The US walked into that tourney with a roster that resembled a combo US Jr. Team/NCAA All-Star aged squad. Here is your proof of that

G - Barrasso - (19)

D - Langway (27)-Ramsey (23) - Fusco (23)-Chelios (22), Hirsch (22) - Housley (20)

F - Mullen (27), Christian (25), Broten (24), Broten (23), Erickson (23), Brooke (23),
Mullen (22), Carpenter (21), Lafontaine (19), Lawton (19), Jensen (19),
Olczyk (18)

That team tied Canada 4-4 in the Montreal Forum.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

Team USA consitently outshot the opposition. The only team that outshot them was Canada, and in the gold medal game it was by about 3 shots.

I have a feeling that #5 ranking will be going up. Team USA was the youngest team in the tournament and yet they were the only team to beat Canada, and their only loss was in OT to the best team in the tournament.

Team USA also took the WJCs this year. Which is a sign for the future.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
There was a lot more buzz surrounding the preliminary game with the United States than with the Russia quarterfinal game.
are you serious? you can't be serious. please say you're not serious.

Old
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Canada Russia is still the better rival. 8 years of competition doesn't make up for 40 years of history. I get more excited for Russia Canada. Toronto/Ottawa will never be the rival Toronto/Montreal will ever be, same situation.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote