HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Right now, better rivalry: USA/CAN or CAN/RUS

View Poll Results: Better current rivalry
CAN/USA 154 66.96%
CAN/RUS 76 33.04%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
right now, this second, this instant. USA maybe.

In a month, and for all eternity. And for all past, Russia.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:10 PM
oilerfanatic

vCash: 500
judging by the poll seems like a lot of americans are trying to skew the stats...ahahahahaa

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:20 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I'd say both Russia and the USA are pretty much equals as rivals with Canada.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey* View Post
I know I may recieve some flak, but I saw someone mention on here that the US team put together for this Olympics ggained advantage from the small ice.

I believe this is true as well, and I don't expect the same squad to perform as well on bigger ice. We will see.
The acknowledged fastest team in the tournament "ggained (sic) advantage from the small ice"?

Your logic eludes me.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Zodiac

i think right now its pretty obvious that its the USA.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:40 PM
FDBluth

I get a lot more excited for Canada/Russia, if only because the Russian team has the sexier stars at this point. It's also just a different feel. When we play the Americans, it's almost like we're playing against our brother or something. When we play the Russians, we're playing against that mysterious and introverted kid from the other side of town. It's so much cooler to play against that kid, even if we might hate our brother more.

I also like the whole Crosby/Ovechkin thing.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Geese_Howard*

Canada vs Russia, AO vs Crosby, doesn't get much better then that.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
v-man

I don't consider the women's or world junior tournaments important enough to have any bearing on the true rivalries (since only one or two countries really care about those), so it comes down to the men, and one Olympics isn't going to change the fact that Canada/Russia is still the one everyone looks forward to. After the last two Worlds, where Russia took out Canada, you can bet they're still much more fired up about that showdown than one with the U.S. Take into consideration that Russia will be out to get the Canadians back for making them look like Norway in the quarters, the traditional rivalry should be as strong as ever. I hardly doubt the US has a vendetta against Canada, they're just happy to have been in the Gold medal game. The star power of Canada/Russia is as dominant as ever as well, whereas the States don't really have anyone who's name strikes fear into the opposition.

v-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:04 PM
ItaliaHABS

For me its always Canada-Russia. Although I was really amped up for the preliminary game v. the States (who wasn't; the Gold medal game goes without saying) but when it comes to Russia, its on another level IMO (not to mention the media hype surrounding a potential Gold medal showdown with Russia and hey, if Ryan Miller doesn't stand on his head against Canada in the prelims it might have been Can-Rus). I say that with all due respect to the US as they obviously proved to be worthy opponents (and better than Russia throughout the tournament) but what it boils down to is what is your gut feeling before a game against one of our rivals, what emotions are evoked? Given the choice to swap scores 3-2 OT win v. the States and 7-3 v. Russia (excitement factor aside, as you always hope for an epic game for a title) I wouldn't change a thing. I was THRILLED that we absolutely STEAMROLLED Russia .

ItaliaHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
RusskiyHockey

Just by looking at the players' names, Canada and the US are like one team. They speak the same language, have the same type of childhood, many are even dual citizens of the two countries. Canada-USA battles are like games between two shamelessly talented NHL teams. But Russia vs. Canada still has that air of two opposing worlds and hockey schools, even if in reality the lines have blurred over the years. Ironically, this time around Canada looked like Soviet Union on steroids, while Russia looked like... the Toronto Maple Leafs.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:49 AM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
This
2010 has been a great year for USA hockey- Gold in WJC, and Silver in the Olympics....Keep it up...But if you look at the international resumes, Canada-Russia stand alone..
2010 IIHF Men's World Ranking (after Olympics)

1.Canada
2.Russia
3.Finland
4.Sweden
5.USA

http://www.iihf.com/channels10/olymp...d-ranking.html
Who cares what the rankings say? We just watched the Olympics and you are going to tell me, "well the rankings say the USA is 5." What kind of logic is that? Rankings given to countries for various reasons has more significance than the teams actual performance? That makes sense.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I have a question. How many of you Canadians were actually alive to witness the last time Canada played the "Russians" in a game that actually was relevant to international hockey before 2010(i.e. not the World Championships)?

Really, I want to know. Canada-Russia is no rivalry. If you consider meaningless World Championship meetings some great "rivalry", good for you. Canada-USSR was the rivalry of rivalries. That rivalry is long dead. The truth is that there have been 7 best-on-best tournaments since the fall of the Soviet Union. 3 World/Canada Cups and 4 Olympic Games. Canada-USA has been the match-up in 2 out of the 3 Canada/World Cup Finals and 2 out of the 4 Olympic Gold Medal games. Maybe it is time for certain people to stop kidding themselves about a Canada-Russia rivalry that has been dormant since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Ilyeu

Right now: Can-Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Maybe it is time for certain people to stop kidding themselves about a Canada-Russia rivalry that has been dormant since the fall of the Soviet Union.
Maybe it's time for a certain people to stop kidding themselves and realize most Canadians think that the dominant rivalry is Canada-Russia. Suddenly you do well at an Olympics, when the last one you went 1-4-1 and you think you can butt into a historical rivalry.

In every event and in any competition with any type of player it's always against Russia. They have our number since 1991, even with the fall of the Soviet Union. Even though we've won more championships then they have since that time, they still have more victories in Mens' tournaments since we faced off.

The Sweden-Canada rivalry is bigger than the Canadian-American rivalry. Nothing, no matter how good the Americans get, it will never be better than the Canadian-Russian rivalry. This is what most Canadians thrive on when we watch hockey.

Last edited by Ilyeu: 03-05-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
I have a question. How many of you Canadians were actually alive to witness the last time Canada played the "Russians" in a game that actually was relevant to international hockey before 2010(i.e. not the World Championships)?

Really, I want to know. Canada-Russia is no rivalry. If you consider meaningless World Championship meetings some great "rivalry", good for you. Canada-USSR was the rivalry of rivalries. That rivalry is long dead. The truth is that there have been 7 best-on-best tournaments since the fall of the Soviet Union. 3 World/Canada Cups and 4 Olympic Games. Canada-USA has been the match-up in 2 out of the 3 Canada/World Cup Finals and 2 out of the 4 Olympic Gold Medal games. Maybe it is time for certain people to stop kidding themselves about a Canada-Russia rivalry that has been dormant since the fall of the Soviet Union.
the flaw in your logic is that it's not only the best on best that matters here. Everything (other than the women) matters when you're talking about a rivalry between hockey nations. Hell Canada and Russia have played each other in the last 2 olympics, they eliminated the Canadians in 2006 if i remember right, canada eliminated them this year... how is that not fueling a rivalry? And yes the world championships do matter, russians won gold on the first ever worlds held in Canada you think that doesn't add fuel to the fire? I remember more big moments from canada/russia in the juniors than canada/us.

maybe it's time for certain people to realize that no matter how self important they think they are the US is nothing to canada when it comes to hockey. If not for a common border the states would be no different than finland to us.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote