HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What would you trade for the right to draft Alexander Ovechkin

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2004, 12:35 PM
  #1
Mike The Wall
Registered User
 
Mike The Wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Montreal Hockey Capital of The World
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
What would you trade for the right to draft Alexander Ovechkin

I would make a package to Washington that they would not refuse untouchables are Kasi, Perizo, Komi, Higgins the rest you can have nd I mean everybody else

Can you imagine

LW Kasi Center Alexander Ovechkin Rw Perizo



scouting report

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...?player_id=256

Mike The Wall is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 12:49 PM
  #2
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
I would reserve my trading assets for Crosby. To me, he's the next Forsberg, who's incidently my favorite player in the NHL. And I'm not just saying this because of the hype. I saw him play plenty of times and his strength, acceleration, amazing vision, unreal playmaking skills, silky smouth hands and his never say die attitude just remind me of a young Forsberg. I would give half the roster to be able to watch this guy play in my favorite team 82 times a year. The fact he's a Habs fan on top of that is just icing on the cake.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:03 PM
  #3
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Well with the guys you just made untoucahbles, i think it would be impossible to get him.

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:15 PM
  #4
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 50
Better question to ask. Who would Washington want? You'd be looking at a Lindros type package. Too much, I'm afraid.

loudi94 is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
  #5
Aarex
Registered User
 
Aarex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Well with the guys you just made untoucahbles, i think it would be impossible to get him.

Thats exactly what i was thinking heh

Aarex is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:24 PM
  #6
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Well with the guys you just made untoucahbles, i think it would be impossible to get him.
Yup.

I think Kastitsyn and Higgins would be the cornerstone of a Ovechkin trade. Probablely throw in Hainsey or Hossa and our 1st rounder this year.

Hmmm...they still might not bite.

I'm with Munchausen on this as well. If we are going to make a huge crazy bid for one prospect, I'd make it for Crosby. He sure looks like he's going to be one of those guys who elwevates himself above the rest.

Kastitsyn, Higgins, Hainsey (or comparable players in a years time), !st in '05, 1st in '06 for Crosby. I wonder if that would be enough????

Darz is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
  #7
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,662
vCash: 500
Truthfully? . . . Malkin (2nd pick of the draft) and our number two (which is the 1st pick of the second round so basically an end of the round first equivilent). That is my honest appraising of the two players, AO is better but not that much, I think that would be a fair exchange and though it will not happen, is an interesting exercize as it shows honestly where I think the two players are. In fact, if offered Washington might consider that proposal.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:29 PM
  #8
Legolas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
I would save my big deal for Crosby too. Besides, I don't think Gainey is one of those big deal type of GM's...seems he's more about development than swinging a blockbuster. I can't see making a package of only picks and prospects though..you're going to have to throw in an everyday player too.

Legolas is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:30 PM
  #9
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Yup.

I think Kastitsyn and Higgins would be the cornerstone of a Ovechkin trade. Probablely throw in Hainsey or Hossa and our 1st rounder this year.

Hmmm...they still might not bite.

I'm with Munchausen on this as well. If we are going to make a huge crazy bid for one prospect, I'd make it for Crosby. He sure looks like he's going to be one of those guys who elwevates himself above the rest.

Kastitsyn, Higgins, Hainsey (or comparable players in a years time), !st in '05, 1st in '06 for Crosby. I wonder if that would be enough????
I dont think it would be a matter of being enough. I dont think anybody would pass up the oppurtunity of keeping Crosby. I sure wouldnt...

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
  #10
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Yup.

I think Kastitsyn and Higgins would be the cornerstone of a Ovechkin trade. Probablely throw in Hainsey or Hossa and our 1st rounder this year.

Hmmm...they still might not bite.

I'm with Munchausen on this as well. If we are going to make a huge crazy bid for one prospect, I'd make it for Crosby. He sure looks like he's going to be one of those guys who elwevates himself above the rest.

Kastitsyn, Higgins, Hainsey (or comparable players in a years time), !st in '05, 1st in '06 for Crosby. I wonder if that would be enough????
Realistically Crosby and Ovechkin wont be traded and if they do, some team will have to OVERPAY by quite a bit to get either. I like the core prospects of the habs and think it would be a mistake to package a bunch of them at this point. We should be adding, not subtracting to our pool of younger players. I understand that Ovehckin and Crosby are stud prospects but realistically it will take a LOT to get either one and right now I dont think Montreal should or would give up on 3-4 of their younger core players in the same deal. A few more years(2-3) and I think our team will be a contender in this league if all goes according to plan. The foundation of this team is good and our young players will be better off with their first experience in the playoffs. They got a taste of winning in the first round vs Boston at least.....not such a bad experience regardless of what happens vs Tampa now.

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:40 PM
  #11
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Realistically Crosby and Ovechkin wont be traded and if they do, some team will have to OVERPAY by quite a bit to get either. I like the core prospects of the habs and think it would be a mistake to package a bunch of them at this point. We should be adding, not subtracting to our pool of younger players. I understand that Ovehckin and Crosby are stud prospects but realistically it will take a LOT to get either one and right now I dont think Montreal should or would give up on 3-4 of their younger core players in the same deal. A few more years(2-3) and I think our team will be a contender in this league if all goes according to plan. The foundation of this team is good and our young players will be better off with their first experience in the playoffs. They got a taste of winning in the first round vs Boston at least.....not such a bad experience regardless of what happens vs Tampa now.
I agree, i say we keep our pool of talent, and trade in the future for whatever is lacking!!

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:50 PM
  #12
Moumni_Bachir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
I would trade Dackell + Traverse + 5th 2004 for their first. If Washington are that bad to have signed Jagr they will probably accept.

Moumni_Bachir is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:54 PM
  #13
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
I would trade Dackell + Traverse + 5th 2004 for their first. If Washington are that bad to have signed Jagr they will probably accept.
Nahhh, i live Dackell. He does an excellent job keeping the benches warm in the dressing room. He is obvioulsy very talented. As for Traverse, well why not keep him???

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:57 PM
  #14
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
I dont think it would be a matter of being enough. I dont think anybody would pass up the oppurtunity of keeping Crosby. I sure wouldnt...
I think it depends on the team and the GM. I imagine that most would not want to trade the pick, but ya never know.

Darz is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 01:59 PM
  #15
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,294
vCash: 50
A klondike bar... MAYBE.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:00 PM
  #16
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I think it depends on the team and the GM. I imagine that most would not want to trade the pick, but ya never know.
YA thats true.

Mooch is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:02 PM
  #17
Moumni_Bachir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Nahhh, i live Dackell. He does an excellent job keeping the benches warm in the dressing room. He is obvioulsy very talented. As for Traverse, well why not keep him???
Yeah finally no need of Ovechkin, Dackell make an awesome job, and I heard on another site that Traverse has some talent at washing the equipement! Hell yeah, we have some great talent coming for the next staff team!

Moumni_Bachir is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:14 PM
  #18
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
I wouldn't trade for him, period. Trading away huge assets for the "can't miss" pick everyone knows about is not the smartest thing to do, unless you want to rip your team apart and start from square one. The Habs are ahead of schedule in their rebuilding, and they are already a good team, so I would not trade the farm for a guy who won't even be sniffing his prime for 4-5 years.

Good teams use their highly-paid scouts to find that gem in round two, and they develop him into a star (e.g., Theodore). Then you add a Kovalev here and a Madden there (hint hint), add some decent grit guys and role players (like Begin and Dowd) and voila, you're a contender. Gainey and Savard can get the job done without making that big splash on draft day.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:20 PM
  #19
markov`
Registered User
 
markov`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Top 2 in the world
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Theodore.

markov` is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:24 PM
  #20
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Marcel Hossa
Ron Hainsey
1st round pick in 04
1st round pick in 05
Tomas Plekanec

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
  #21
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,298
vCash: 500
If washington would consider trading, which seems highly doubtful, although the Russian's barking at the IIHF/NHL deal and possibly holding out from the IIHF, should at least be a concern for washington and ever nhl team that has Russian players not signed.

Now think back to '01 and Savard trying to get Kovalchuk. If you could go back, would you give them Theodore, since the rumor is that's what they wanted but Savard wouldn't do it. Theodore, Markov 7th and 25th overall I think was the deal that the thrashers wanted or close to it. Well a deal for Ovechkin would have to be around that level, imo.

To get Washington's attention, Theodore, Markov, 18th and say Perezhogin would be my guess. Some will say too little, others too much. Personally I would not do the deal for Ovechkin, but if I could go back and get Kovalchuk for Theo, Markov, Komo and Perezhogin, it would be hard to say no to that, although the later 3 are some of my favorite players so it would be a tough call.

montreal is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:40 PM
  #22
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
It seems that the Capitals have gotten wiser after their extravagant trades. Better late than never. However, I don't think they would consider trading Ovechkin because they desperately need a marquee star at this point.

Corey is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
  #23
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Now think back to '01 and Savard trying to get Kovalchuk. If you could go back, would you give them Theodore, since the rumor is that's what they wanted but Savard wouldn't do it. Theodore, Markov 7th and 25th overall I think was the deal that the thrashers wanted or close to it. Well a deal for Ovechkin would have to be around that level, imo.
For every Kovalchuk there's a Lindros, the guy who's got all the talent in the world, but who ends up giving you more headaches than success. That's why those deals scare me.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:53 PM
  #24
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
My pants... They have never been wore and they're signed by a goat.

P.S. I think it's been a week since I've made a comment in here, so I thought you guys might have missed me. Or not, either way, huh...












Habs in 7!

Dutchy is online now  
Old
04-28-2004, 02:58 PM
  #25
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
I would prefer Crosby over Ovechkin too. Let's get the superstar Canadiens fan from birth that we haven't had since Patrick Roy left the team. I would give just about anything to land Crosby in Montreal.










Lafleur thinks maybe we should gamble a bit and trade our first-round pick this summer for a weaker teams 1st round pick next year. Worst comes to worst we'll land either Daniel Ryder or Siharei Kastitsyn instead.

Brisebois is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.