HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Milan Jurcina Attracting Interest

Old
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500

What's the story on this guy? He looked huge in the Olympics. Canadian players were bouncing off this guy. I didn't see that happen with any other dmen in the tourny.

Says he's getting lots of interest with Torres...

Can Jurcina play or is he just a beast? Might be a good buy low candidate for a few teams.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'd love to snag him and Torres for the Kings playoff run.

Campbell/Martinez, 2nd, 3rd.

Or does Columbus want forward prospects?

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Levitate

He's pretty mediocre, but I hate him for some reason

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Hipster Letestu

He's certainly not fast, but he's big and loves clearing the front of the net. He's got a cannon of a slapshot but it takes about 10 seconds for him to windup and it isn't the most accurate shot in the world. Defensively he's very sound, doesn't go out of his way to hit people but uses his body effectively. I wish the Jackets were able to keep him as a 4-5-6 guy, but we already have way too many 4-5-6 guys under contract and he's a UFA at the end of the year. Honestly anyone who gets this guy will be very happy as long as they pair him with someone a little more fleet-of-foot.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I'd love to snag him and Torres for the Kings playoff run.

Campbell/Martinez, 2nd, 3rd.

Or does Columbus want forward prospects?
Not knowing anything about Campbell or Martinez, I can tell you that a 2nd and a 3rd for Milan Jurcina is a massive overpayment.

Jurcina goes through stretches where he plays like he might actually be good but often goes through stretches of uninspired play.

He's nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman on a team wanting to go deep. He's worth at most a 3rd round pick.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:21 AM
JPQ531

Being a Caps fan, we didn't see fit to keep him even with all of our defensive woes. I do not even think he was getting much PT with the blue jackets. Over the past few years Jurchina (or Juice as we like to call him) showed flashes of brilliance, but was horribly inconsistent. He couldn't permanently crack our top 6 and was shipped. He may have looked solid in the Olympics, but I seriously doubt this guy will provide an upgrade for anyone looking to advance in the playoffs.

JPQ531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Hottubber

Maybe he was paired with the wrong d-man last year, but when he played Pittsburgh, he did not look good and was exposed often. He was good in front of the net, but guys were blowing by him

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Foy

He was Washington's most consistent d-man in the playoffs the last couple of years aside from one ghastly pass.

Not great, but consistent. I wouldn't mind Washington bringing him back if nothing else panned out, but not for anything significant. He might get a second round pick.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
He's certainly not fast, but he's big and loves clearing the front of the net. He's got a cannon of a slapshot but it takes about 10 seconds for him to windup and it isn't the most accurate shot in the world. Defensively he's very sound, doesn't go out of his way to hit people but uses his body effectively. I wish the Jackets were able to keep him as a 4-5-6 guy, but we already have way too many 4-5-6 guys under contract and he's a UFA at the end of the year. Honestly anyone who gets this guy will be very happy as long as they pair him with someone a little more fleet-of-foot.
Same feeling I had when the Caps dealt him. He doesn't do anything great (aside from that cannon of a shot), but he also doesn't do anything badly (aside from skate the length of the rink in under 10 seconds).

He is big, but doesn't play that big. He is strong, but doesn't play strongly. Sound positionally, good hockey sense. He actually played really well in the playoffs for the Caps last season, so it seems like he steps it up in the big games.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:25 AM
JPQ531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
He was Washington's most consistent d-man in the playoffs the last couple of years aside from one ghastly pass.

Not great, but consistent. I wouldn't mind Washington bringing him back if nothing else panned out, but not for anything significant. He might get a second round pick.
Not great, but consistent? Are you kidding?

JPQ531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post

consistently mediocre?

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPQ531 View Post
Not great, but consistent? Are you kidding?
Consistent for a 14 game stretch doesn't mean anything. Until he puts up a whole season where he plays well, he's not anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammar Police View Post
Not knowing anything about Campbell or Martinez, I can tell you that a 2nd and a 3rd for Milan Jurcina is a massive overpayment.

Jurcina goes through stretches where he plays like he might actually be good but often goes through stretches of uninspired play.

He's nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman on a team wanting to go deep. He's worth at most a 3rd round pick.
Oh god no. I meant that package for BOTH Jurcina and Torres.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
WreckItRask

Am I the only one that finds it silly that a journalist actually typed that Jurcina is generating interest? Torres I definitely see generating some interest, but Jurcina has been a healthy scratch a few times since getting moved to Columbus...that's not good.

He might be worth a conditional 4th at most, probably closer to a 5th or 6th, but him generating interest is hardly newsworthy.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
MrBoxOffice

I watched him as a moosehead years ago and he still makes me think of him the same way: He has all the size and movement to be a defensive force, but somethings just not there...

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I always felt Jurcina was the perfect bottom-pairing defensemen. He's inconsistent with his GOOD play but he rarely does anything to make him a liability. I wouldn't mind having him back on the Caps as long as it doesn't cost us anything more than a bottom roster player/low (as in bad) draft pick.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
birddog*

Sounds like basically if you don't run in to him you're ok.

Note to NHL players - go around - not through.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
He's a big dude with big reach that also has a pretty hard shot from the point and is right-handed. He mostly camps out in front of the goal crease when the puck is in the defensive zone and doesn't venture too far away from his goaltender. He needs to work on using his body size more effectively (hitting), moving laterally quicker, and making sure his slap shots hit the net.

He's a solid bottom pairing guy on a playoff team and I'm sure there is a team or two looking for a guy with his skill set.

I wonder what he's going to be looking for on his next contract.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Jurcina has played with us over the 20 or so games. Haven't seen many mistakes defensively, in fact I would say he's been very solid. He's been paired with Kris Russell for the most part and they work really well together.

I could see him doing well on a playoff team's bottom pair with a more offensive guy next to him. He's a great asset on the PK too.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
txpd

this is a hoot. nhl fans and media: caps blue line sucks. jurcina was a 3rd pair occasional 2nd pair. right in the middle of the suckatude. now....he is desired.
lol.....hint. caps defense is better than people give credit for

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is a hoot. nhl fans and media: caps blue line sucks. jurcina was a 3rd pair occasional 2nd pair. right in the middle of the suckatude. now....he is desired.
lol.....hint. caps defense is better than people give credit for
Nobody is saying the Caps want him except for the guy who said he'd like to have Jurcina back for cheap. His diminished playing time was due more to Hitchcock being dumb than his actual play. Many Jackets fans were perplexed on why he was being a healthy scratch over someone like Methot who not only is slow but also makes bad turnovers. Jurcina at least is defensively sound. He'd make a good depth d-man in the 6th or 7th spot on a playoff team.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Nobody is saying the Caps want him except for the guy who said he'd like to have Jurcina back for cheap. His diminished playing time was due more to Hitchcock being dumb than his actual play. Many Jackets fans were perplexed on why he was being a healthy scratch over someone like Methot who not only is slow but also makes bad turnovers. Jurcina at least is defensively sound. He'd make a good depth d-man in the 6th or 7th spot on a playoff team.
Actually ESPN Insider has the Caps as being interested .... I thought it was a misprint considering the trade a few weeks back.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

You ready Caps fans? From The Columbus Dispatch:

Quote:
Believe it or not, one of the teams thought to have interest is the Washington Capitals. Yes, that's the team that dealt him to the Blue Jackets in December along with Chris Clark for Jason Chimera.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:28 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
You ready Caps fans? From the Columbus Dispatch:
Yeah, this was speculated earlier this morning. Like I said, I am for it as long as it doesn't cost us much and we can't land one of the big name UFA dmen.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
You ready Caps fans? From the Columbus Dispatch:
For some reason getting Juice back from CBJ wouldn't shock me.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote