HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Trade D Cody Wild for Bruins F Matt Marquardt

Old
03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
I've always had a soft spot for Marquardt. I think I had him going to the Oilers in my '06 mock but I could be wrong.

Two-time 40 goal guy in the QMJHL, excellent size at 6'3 229. Heavy wrist shot and he loves to use it. Knows where to get to to score goals. Strong, balanced skater but he's dreadfully slow. Hasn't shown a willingness to fight at the next level which is what he needs to do.

He had a strong rookie year in the A last year but hasn't built on that at all. Hopefully the ECHL stint was a wake-up call because he has a lot of useful attributes for 4th line duty.

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 03-02-2010 at 04:35 PM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Anyone who feels the Oilers have good fans need only to look at a thread like this to be proven wrong. Recycled, unfunny one-liners on the first page of a trade thread. Real intelligent.

On the trade: Redundant AHL defenseman for a depth AHL forward. From what I understand, this guy is NOT an enforcer. Boston gets the best player, so I guess they win - but we really have too many prospect defenders in need of minutes on the farm and I'd rather see Wild go than Motin, Plante or Chorney.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a move to help bolster the backend on the farm.
So you are saying Wild is an addition by subtraction?

Marquardt is a Left winger.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
What?

I thought Wild had some decent potential...
Apparently the Oil disagree. As he has often been a healthy scratch in the AHL and was recently demoted to the ECHL.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
So you are saying Wild is an addition by subtraction?

Marquardt is a Left winger.
****, I thought he was a Dman... my bad. I misread someone's post. Maybe an addition for pure size then?

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
BandwagonBasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Anyone who feels the Oilers have good fans need only to look at a thread like this to be proven wrong. Recycled, unfunny one-liners on the first page of a trade thread. Real intelligent.

On the trade: Redundant AHL defenseman for a depth AHL forward. From what I understand, this guy is NOT an enforcer. Boston gets the best player, so I guess they win - but we really have too many prospect defenders in need of minutes on the farm and I'd rather see Wild go than Motin, Plante or Chorney.
Bwaa? I'm waiting for the part where you tell us why we are bad fans? I'm not sure I understand. I'm quite sure people from around the world aren't reading this thread and thinking to themselves "wow what a bunch of bad fans for talking about a minor league deal"
To be perfectly fair I do have a few people blocked so maybe I missed something?

BandwagonBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
While it's great that Tambo is using the last hours before the ****ing trade deadline to shore up our ECHL team, does he not realize THAT OUR NHL TEAM COULD USE SOME ATTENTION?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Its a good trade for both teams. I am sure both were under achieving on their respective minor league teams and it probably serves a purpose for both teams to either have an extra forward or D. Sometimes these minor deals are good for the players as the get a fresh start and chance to impress their new teams

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandwagonBasher View Post
Bwaa? I'm waiting for the part where you tell us why we are bad fans? I'm not sure I understand. I'm quite sure people from around the world aren't reading this thread and thinking to themselves "wow what a bunch of bad fans for talking about a minor league deal"
To be perfectly fair I do have a few people blocked so maybe I missed something?
Nah, I'm just annoyed by the "shine the cup!" and "teach him Corsi!" jokes from people who never have anything to add to the topic. Felt the need to vent.

Old
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
While it's great that Tambo is using the last hours before the ****ing trade deadline to shore up our ECHL team, does he not realize THAT OUR NHL TEAM COULD USE SOME ATTENTION?
You are a bad, bad fan. Bad fan! Shoo! Scat!

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

size for the farm

sad to see Wild leave--I had high hope for him

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Nah, I'm just annoyed by the "shine the cup!" and "teach him Corsi!" jokes from people who never have anything to add to the topic. Felt the need to vent.
You're right. This thread's topic is so epic it requires some really ind-epth analysis. Please, accept my apologies. And I await your detailed explanation of how this deal impacts this organization at the most fundamental level.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:31 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:

Do you really know that Boston got the best player? Wild hasn't really done much in Springfield, although not too many Falcons have.

I agree with the part about focusing attention on Plante, Chorney, motin though.

This marquardt sounds kind of like Ryan Stone. Could anyone that has seen him play comment on that? Bugg?

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You're right. This thread's topic is so epic it requires some really ind-epth analysis. Please, accept my apologies. And I await your detailed explanation of how this deal impacts this organization at the most fundamental level.
Jesus... have you ever added anything to a conversation on this board ever?

Seems all you do is attempt to amuse yourself with pithy one liners. You can see where that gets annoying, right?

Old
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I agree with you. Once in a while fine but every thread it is same tired, recycled lame one liners. It really junks up threads in a hurry.

Quote:
Did SK13 or anyone else say it did?

Old
03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Do you really know that Boston got the best player? Wild hasn't really done much in Springfield, although not too many Falcons have.

I agree with the part about focusing attention on Plante, Chorney, motin though.

This marquardt sounds kind of like Ryan Stone. Could anyone that has seen him play comment on that? Bugg?
I think more JFJ minus skating speed. I mean the constant hitting thing sounds great. It'd bring some intensity to our energy line with Storts.

Though I'm basing it off the HF report only.

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I think more JFJ minus skating speed. I mean the constant hitting thing sounds great. It'd bring some intensity to our energy line with Storts.

Though I'm basing it off the HF report only.
The same thought went through my head when I seen that. Maybe with all the injuries they are going to walk away from JFJ this summer. What made me think that was when I seen Marquardt was signed to a 2-way NHL deal (according to nhlscap site) for this season and next season.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Well to be serious about this, these are the kind of deals that can sometimes pay returns for one or both of the teams. The Oilers give up a more offensive minded defenceman who may well have found himself too far down the depth chart to ever play for the big club for a guy that has something you cannot teach, namely significant size. Combine this with a history that suggests some skill and the potential to once again be a big hitter, you get the type of project worth taking on. If they can turn him around he could be someone that could be useful. Of course, if Bugg is right about his skating then the task will be significantly up-hill.

But that said, there is no doubt that with the level of analysis and speculation that trade deadline brings the natural reaction to a deal like this is to be somewhat let down.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Giant Moo

Quote:
Jesus... have you ever added anything to a conversation on this board ever?

Seems all you do is attempt to amuse yourself with pithy one liners. You can see where that gets annoying, right?
Pithy? I prefer parsimonious.

You want people to "add" to the discussion -- but there's nothing to add. The most minor of moves and we're less than 24 hours from the deadline.

Old
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
Good bye Stortini next year....
I suspect a replacement for Jacques more likely.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I suspect a replacement for Jacques more likely.
The guy is playing in the ECHL, might be a stretch to think he makes the NHL team next year.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
mactforcoach

This looks like a good trade for both teams. Sure we all had hopes for Cody Wild, but then we have high hopes for all our young players. Even though it sounds like this guy is still a ways away from making the NHL, it's nice to know there is some size down there to draw from.

So if he plays in the AHL next season, he'll be in Oklahoma, right?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shizuka

This is a guy languishing in Boston's ECHL affiliate...and an allegedly unmotivated, poor skating big man who doesn't always take the body as he should. It's hard to see him getting jumped up to the NHL at this point, so don't be so quick to pencil him in for next season.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:

You want people to "add" to the discussion -- but there's nothing to add. The most minor of moves and we're less than 24 hours from the deadline.
There's plenty to add.

Just nothing that you care to add, other than a 'parsimonious' plee for attention.

"Please laugh at the joke I post in every second thread! I'll be brief!".

Old
03-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Then why did you feel the need to add?

On the trade, it's a minor deal but it seems similar to the Danny Syvret for Ryan Potulny trade a couple years ago. Both were AHL'ers who needed a change of scenery. Seems like the trade worked out well for the Oilers with Potulny and hopefully this one will as well.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote