HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL/STL] Matt D'Agostini for Aaron Palushaj

Old
03-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Ginu

vCash: 500
What's our cap situation like now?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:39 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
can't score, can't pass , can't fight, can't win.
Well...I'm looking forward to having this slug in the system.

I am not a Montreal Canadiens fan, but your team got the best of this trade. Palushaj is a sure-fire NHLer. He projects as a 3rd-line checking winger. I've watched him play this season and he is so much fun to watch. Very energetic and extremely disruptive.

I know that our teams are in different conferences and you may not know about Jay McClement, but he's a really good PK man, who can win faceoffs etc. etc. This is what Palushaj does. You'll love him. He'll love being in a hockey-crazy environment. What a terrible loss for The Blues.

By the way, his name is pronounced 'puh-LU-shy'.

And some of you are saying that he's small. Ummmm he's 6 feet tall, 185 lbs, and only 20 years old. He probably won't get taller, but he'll add 10 more pounds.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:43 AM
m00ks

I don't know who that is but I'm certain he's better than D'agostini.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:44 AM
JackZap

he wont be able to wear #8 here, thats Komisareks number

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Galchy27

On paper, this looks like a long-term win for us, but not for RDS. Brunet's gonna have the worst time trying to pronounce his name.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

woa, reading about him, looks like a solid prospect, sounds like he has the work ethic of gionta

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
he wont be able to wear #8 here, thats Komisareks number
Mr. Komisarek.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post

I am not a Montreal Canadiens fan, but your team got the best of this trade. Palushaj is a sure-fire NHLer. He projects as a 3rd-line checking winger. I've watched him play this season and he is so much fun to watch. Very energetic and extremely disruptive.

I know that our teams are in different conferences and you may not know about Jay McClement, but he's a really good PK man, who can win faceoffs etc. etc. This is what Palushaj does. You'll love him. He'll love being in a hockey-crazy environment. What a terrible loss for The Blues.

And some of you are saying that he's small. Ummmm he's 6 feet tall, 185 lbs, and only 20 years old. He probably won't get taller, but he'll add 10 more pounds.
Thanks for the info! This sounds like a win for the habs and hopefully D'agostini can turn it around for the blues the same way Latendresse has done for Minesotta.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:47 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post

Thanks for the information! Looks like we got the better end of the deal with this one... Props to Gauthier!

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:49 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I don't know who that is but I'm certain he's better than D'agostini.
sounds about right. moreover, he has 3 more years under boucher, with higher potential to become just as good as dagostini is now ... can't possibly be that hard.

as for dago ... he could turn it on...but what makes me doubt is all the chances/confidence this team gave him ... he was NOT mishandled (one of the few), no matter how he turns out to be.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Yea when I think out loud, I tend to state my points and then try to think of a point that would disprove it so it makes me think more.

But you can see my original point. The perception that some of our players have no value is quite flawed. It just brings into question for me, what kind of value some of our other plays, like Spacek or Gomez, would get.
I don't see how it's flawed. D'Agostini hasn't proven more than Hensick or Lisin, or dozens of other 23-24 year olds that have been cast off for virtually nothing. Clearly, Palushaj fell out of favour in St-Louis.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
sounds about right. moreover, he has 3 more years under boucher, with higher potential to become just as good as dagostini is now ... can't possibly be that hard.

as for dago ... he could turn it on...but what makes me doubt is all the chances/confidence this team gave him ... he was NOT mishandled (one of the few), no matter how he turns out.
no kidding. We basically kept him in the minors as long as possible and then when we brought him up we immediately put him in a situation where he could succeed by running shotgun for Koivu. Didn't take long for the league to figure him out though.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't see how it's flawed. D'Agostini hasn't proven more than Hensick or Lisin, or dozens of other 23-24 year olds that have been cast off for virtually nothing. Clearly, Palushaj fell out of favour in St-Louis.
I am kind of wondering the same thing. If I am a GM, D'Agostini is not a player I would be looking to acquire.

But with that being said, why did Palushaj fall out of favour? And particularly, so fast(he is in his first season in the A)?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHooligans View Post
Yea that is his weakness right now...being too small. Good overall skill set, good speed, hands, vision. Not really playing with too much talent down in Peoria.

What's the rundown on D'agostini? Pro/Cons?
Pros:
Good Wheels
quick and deceptive release

Cons:
very Streaky
questionable hockey sense

D'ago was absolutely on fire last season when he got called up for the first time.... maybe a change of scenery is exactly what the doctor ordered. Good luck.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I am kind of wondering the same thing. If I am a GM, D'Agostini is not a player I would be looking to acquire.

But with that being said, why did Palushaj fall out of favour? And particularly, so fast(he is in his first season in the A)?
Yeah, I have no idea about that. I have a good deal of respect for the Blues' scouting and development managerial teams too, so it's a curious case.

Above all else, what I like about this deal is that Palushaj is actually a hockey player. His hockey sense is his greatest asset, and it's tough to put a limit on players who thrive on sense. The fact that Montreal put an emphasis on hockey sense in this deal above fluff stats (as D'Agostini will likely continue to put up) is the real win here. Hopefully it's indicative of what attributes Gauthier seeks.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:55 AM
bipolarhabfan

Though Dags would get us at most a mid round pick (3rd/4th). However, a prospect with good long term potential? That is a good trade.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Nidema

Quote:
Then why didn`t St louis just pick Lisin off waivers? Maybe St-Louis actually wanted D`agostini and thought he could contribute in a meaningful way RIGHT NOW as opposed to Palushaj? Either way, even if Palushaj fell out of favour in St louis, you just don`t trade away a prospect for what is perceived to be nothing. Especially a 20-21 year old prospect. D`agostini must have been worth more than we realized.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:57 AM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

WOW did not think we would get much for D'Ags, but now it seems the Habs might do next to nothing tomorrow

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Then why didn`t St louis just pick Lisin off waivers? Maybe St-Louis actually wanted D`agostini and thought he could contribute in a meaningful way RIGHT NOW as opposed to Palushaj? Either way, even if Palushaj fell out of favour in St louis, you just don`t trade away a prospect for what is perceived to be nothing. Especially a 20-21 year old prospect. D`agostini must have been worth more than we realized.
I honestly don't understand this dialogue...

I stated all of this in the original post that you disagreed with. Is this conversation running after its own tail?

Old
03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Darth Joker

Very nice trade by Gauthier.

I especially like how Palushaj played with Patches at one point. Getting a good prospect that can perhaps help out one of our own struggling prospects... great move.

I guess that St. Louis wanted somebody with a bit more experience at the NHL level. D'Ago is a poor man's (a very poor man's, some would say) Michael Ryder.

Acquiring a player like that might make sense if the Blues end up dealing Boyes, as some rumors have suggested they will.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Mr. Boucher, meet Mr. Palushaj. Now do your thing...
I like the way that sounds

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Erika

Wow !!

Aaron Polushaj....

This kid is awesome !!

He's a more talented version of Christopher ''Stone hands, I told you so'' Higgins !!

I can't believe Gauthier got him for freakin D'Agostini... Blues GM got ripped on this one wow !! Seen him a few times and you guys will love him.

The guy I wanted more is Lars Eller though...

I wanted Eller insted of McDonagh in 2007.... shame...

oh well, but I won't complain about having Polushaj

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:03 AM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

lol, on the Blues board their all like WHAT?!?!?
I think we got more than what d'ags was worth

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:03 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Yeah, I have no idea about that. I have a good deal of respect for the Blues' scouting and development managerial teams too, so it's a curious case.

Above all else, what I like about this deal is that Palushaj is actually a hockey player. His hockey sense is his greatest asset, and it's tough to put a limit on players who thrive on sense. The fact that Montreal put an emphasis on hockey sense in this deal above fluff stats (as D'Agostini will likely continue to put up) is the real win here. Hopefully it's indicative of what attributes Gauthier seeks.
well, pouillot was considered a bust, a waste of talent, and was tagged with attitude problems and was said to have a poor work ethic. but that turned out pretty well for us didnt it ?

logic says Pa-lush-eye > dago ... but it doesnt mean its because their guy fell out of favor... are you willing to ignore the possibility of them being hyped by dago ? as crazy as it sounds, I am not... dago is still closer to become an established nhler than Pa-lush-eye... imho ...

I'd like to know what's timmins' involvment in that trade.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I like Gauthier.
He's already made more moves than Gainey

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote