HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

[MTL/STL] Matt D'Agostini for Aaron Palushaj

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2010, 01:05 AM
  #126
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
I am pretty sure Pacioretty didn't ever play on Palushaj's line throughout their respective careers. But there is some definite familarity to each other, which adds a nice dimension to this trade.

I especially like this trade for Hamilton more than anything. I don't know how Palushaj is going to turn out, need to see him more. But Hamilton is in a good position right now, and adding a player like Palushaj to an already good looking team is going to strengthen them a lot. Couple that with reports that seem to point towards Palushaj being a Boucher type player, the fact that he is familar with Pacioretty(who will be a key part for them for the time being), and that he has some great upside, this is a great trade from just a minor league perspective.

Then compound that with the fact that we are giving up a player that really had no future with this club(and I don't think a future in the NHL at all, but thats just IMO) for someone who has some serious NHL upside and has been key contributers to every team he has played for, including the US WJC team, this is looking like a great trade to me.

I mean, I may be a little biased because Palushaj is one of my favourite prospects, but any way you slice this trade it looks good for the Habs.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:06 AM
  #127
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Then why didn`t St louis just pick Lisin off waivers? Maybe St-Louis actually wanted D`agostini and thought he could contribute in a meaningful way RIGHT NOW as opposed to Palushaj? Either way, even if Palushaj fell out of favour in St louis, you just don`t trade away a prospect for what is perceived to be nothing. Especially a 20-21 year old prospect. D`agostini must have been worth more than we realized.
to the blues ... yes. the same way dominic moore was worth a 2nd rounder from our GM's perspective ...

I completely agree with you. with all your posts, by the way, I Liked how you presented the fact that maybe it isnt far fetched to believe that we could be winning a trade involving spacek and/or gomez... every team in this league has its own reality ... and I think your argument is spot on.

Ie : what would phi give up for halak/price , vs what would calgary give up for halak/price. There has to be one team ready to give up a lot.


Last edited by THE HOFF: 03-03-2010 at 01:14 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:16 AM
  #128
DeVries*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In your face
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
I absolutely love it! Palushaj could be a real long-term steal. And I thought D'Ags wouldn't even get us a 7th rounder...

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:19 AM
  #129
Hermit Wizard Eater
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 500
Good trade, but with a chance from the Blues D'agostini will be a much better player.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
  #130
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
well, pouillot was considered a bust, a waste of talent, and was tagged with attitude problems and was said to have a poor work ethic. but that turned out pretty well for us didnt it ?

logic says Pa-lush-eye > dago ... but it doesnt mean its because their guy fell out of favor... are you willing to ignore the possibility of them being hyped by dago ? as crazy as it sounds, I am not... dago is still closer to become an established nhler than Pa-lush-eye... imho ...

I'd like to know what's timmins' involvment in that trade.
I really don't understand you or this other guy. This whole discussion began when I was posing these very same questions you guys are, and you both insist on arguing with me by posing the questions. Why is this?

As far as Palushaj not falling out of favour: obviously he did. Teams don't trade prospects unless they've fallen out of favour in some way (exception: when buying deadline talent), and teams don't use 2nd rounders on players unless they're high on them. So at some point, Palushaj fell out of favour. That doesn't mean they considered him garbage or a bust, but it means they felt he was less than what they thought he'd be at the time he was drafted.

It'd be the equivalent of Montreal trading Weber now. If Weber was dealt, then it's because he was a disappointment in some way to the team. Just as Pouliot and Latendresse were to their respective clubs.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
  #131
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Thanks for the info! This sounds like a win for the habs and hopefully D'agostini can turn it around for the blues the same way Latendresse has done for Minesotta.
That would be great! Montreal is pretty good at drafting just like St. Louis is, but we all know that sometimes you have to trade away prospects. Palushaj was one of those "best-player-available" types when he was drafted. We fans knew he was going to be a good player, but we did not know exactly what type of player he'd wind up being in the pros.

Fairly quickly, though, he established himself as a forechecking winger and damned good at it. If he creates scoring chances for himself by picking off the puck, then he will score goals. His hands are decent, not great. He needs to work on slap shot accuracy and is better at the disruption game to create crucial turnovers.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
  #132
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,303
vCash: 700
So Palushaj is projected to be a sparkplug/energy 4th liner ???

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
  #133
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,012
vCash: 50
The reason I like this trade is because I saw a bit of him while I tried to follow Pacioretty and saw more of him in the WJC of 09 when I tried to follow Kristo and McDonagh. Was impressed by his skill more than anything.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:37 AM
  #134
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't see how it's flawed. D'Agostini hasn't proven more than Hensick or Lisin, or dozens of other 23-24 year olds that have been cast off for virtually nothing. Clearly, Palushaj fell out of favour in St-Louis.
No, not at all. He was one of Peoria's best players at the time of the trade. He's coming back from injury right now. Ankle? I think?

I didn't mention how fast he is. He's fast. But his injury has been nagging. Watch out for that.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:40 AM
  #135
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
No, not at all. He was one of Peoria's best players at the time of the trade. He's coming back from injury right now. Ankle? I think?

I didn't mention how fast he is. He's fast. But his injury has been nagging. Watch out for that.
Smells a bit like the Pouliot trade.

I wonder if the Blues have inside information on his injury condition that the Habs don't?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:41 AM
  #136
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I really don't understand you or this other guy. This whole discussion began when I was posing these very same questions you guys are, and you both insist on arguing with me by posing the questions. Why is this?

As far as Palushaj not falling out of favour: obviously he did. Teams don't trade prospects unless they've fallen out of favour in some way (exception: when buying deadline talent), and teams don't use 2nd rounders on players unless they're high on them. So at some point, Palushaj fell out of favour. That doesn't mean they considered him garbage or a bust, but it means they felt he was less than what they thought he'd be at the time he was drafted.

It'd be the equivalent of Montreal trading Weber now. If Weber was dealt, then it's because he was a disappointment in some way to the team. Just as Pouliot and Latendresse were to their respective clubs.
pouillot and latendresse were 2 nhlers, you ''knew what you were going to get'' making that lats/poulliot trade ... it was still a guess on both sides, but they both traded apples for apples.


thats not the case with this trade... its apples and oranges... a guy closer to the nhl ...but underperforming ... vs a guy underperforming in the ahl ... but hyped as a good nhler ... their upside now vs their upside later on. and as much as palushhhhheye might have fell ''out of favor'' in st-louis, someone woke up thinking dago> palushhheye ...whether its short or long term. meaning dago had ''some'' value ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:45 AM
  #137
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, I have no idea about that. I have a good deal of respect for the Blues' scouting and development managerial teams too, so it's a curious case.

Above all else, what I like about this deal is that Palushaj is actually a hockey player. His hockey sense is his greatest asset, and it's tough to put a limit on players who thrive on sense. The fact that Montreal put an emphasis on hockey sense in this deal above fluff stats (as D'Agostini will likely continue to put up) is the real win here. Hopefully it's indicative of what attributes Gauthier seeks.
The Blues have a fabulous drafting and scouting team as evidenced by Eric Johnson, TJ Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Backes, Polak etc.

Palushaj was a victim of too much depth. There was no way that The St. Louis Blues could keep all of these other hot prospects. Everyone knew that some guys are going to be lost.

But it's okay because there is another set of drafted players going pro next season. Even one or two of them will be traded. It is an envious luxury, but I think we'll live.

Don't think that JD got duped. Palushaj had to go because of The Blues depth.


Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 03-03-2010 at 01:51 AM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
  #138
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Couple comments about Palushaj from the Blues AHL thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Palushaj has been playing well since coming back from his injury. He is such a fun player to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Palushaj was really fun to watch. He was tenacious early and tenacious to the very end and wound up creating a couple of The Rivs best scoring chances, which were few. They had 41 shots on goal, but relatively few were real scoring chances.

Anyway, Palushaj was very good on the forecheck throughout the entire game. Energetic all the way through. He missed the net a few times, once on the PP, which was way wide and caromed off the board to a Wolves players. He usually finishes his hits. Fast.

On one shift in the 2nd period Palushaj made three excellent plays: he knocked down the puck from mid air to create a scoring chance (that counts for two) and then later that shift dominated behind the net with some nifty moves and squirted out for another one of The Rivs' few scoring chances. He also made this great play on the PK by alertly kicking the puck out of the zone as he was falling away from the play.

The Rivermen goal was just a simple pass in front by Palushaj from the behind and to the side of the net and a bunch of guys crashed the net with Drazenovic pushing in a rebound. Drazenovic is very, very good defensively, but fanned big time on a PP late in the 2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Not hard to believe at all. Who says he is a "skilled" player? He was somewhat of a scorer at the college level. Big deal?!

When I saw him play he was amazing. I wish that he would focus more on shot accuracy. Granted, I've seen only one game this season, but he was probably the second best player on the ice for the Rivermen that game, next to Junland.

If Palushaj does not develop his scoring touch in the pros, then that's okay because he's definitely got the energy/checking role down to a T already.

My prediction at this point of his young career is that he will definitely be an NHLer; probably a 3rd liner.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
  #139
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Good trade for the Habs.I like Palushaj.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:18 AM
  #140
Nidema
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I really don't understand you or this other guy. This whole discussion began when I was posing these very same questions you guys are, and you both insist on arguing with me by posing the questions. Why is this?

As far as Palushaj not falling out of favour: obviously he did. Teams don't trade prospects unless they've fallen out of favour in some way (exception: when buying deadline talent), and teams don't use 2nd rounders on players unless they're high on them. So at some point, Palushaj fell out of favour. That doesn't mean they considered him garbage or a bust, but it means they felt he was less than what they thought he'd be at the time he was drafted.

It'd be the equivalent of Montreal trading Weber now. If Weber was dealt, then it's because he was a disappointment in some way to the team. Just as Pouliot and Latendresse were to their respective clubs.
Well your premise is that D`agostini had little value so that either the Blues gave up too much, or gave up on Palushaj.

I`m contesting that, perhaps, to the Blues, D`agostini is worth more to them than he is worth to is. Kind of like how Halak or Price is worth more to us than they would probably fetch in a trade at this point. Eitherway, it`s strange to think that the Blues are giving up a young player for a piece that is entirely worthless.

To your last point, I understand that you generally deal away a disappointment for another. However, from what Blues fan have said and given Palushaj`s age and how high the Blue`s organization was on him just recently, I hesitate to categorize him as a disappointment. Blue`s are right now 3 pts out of a playoff spot. Maybe they think Dago can provide a spark. Certainly, you would have to think that Dago is more ready for the NHL than Palushaj. Also, realistically, with the depth of the Blue`s prospects system, I don`t think Palushaj is making that team anytime soon. So it could have very well been that Palushaj just wasn`t needed. Many Blues fans have compared him to McClement. But just because he wasn`t needed doesn`t mean he has fallen out of favor. They just dealt an asset that is similar to what they have right now already on the team for something they might have a use for.

Again, your guess is as good as mine as to why the Blue`s dealt him. I really like the deal from our POV and you would have to think the Blue`s liked something in Dago. Honestly, think about it this way, if we found a way to off load Dago who we thought was useless, the Blues would have found a better way to off load someone like Palushaj who is younger and can be arguably more skilled if he truly has fallen out of favor than simply just picking up the hab`s 'garbage'. One man`s garbage is another man`s treasure I guess? Dago definitely has more value that what we thought and it bodes well for some of the other assets we have.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:49 AM
  #141
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Naoned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nantes, France
Country: France
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
Does Paluchage mean something for French Canadiens? Cause it sure does in France, and it's not pretty.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:51 AM
  #142
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥
 
Theosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DDO, Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 10,181
vCash: 50
Awesome, another midget for the Habs!

I don't mind the trade, D'Ags was pretty much useless and hopeless for us. Hopefully he'll regain some confidence with the Blues and does well

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:00 AM
  #143
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Well your premise is that D`agostini had little value so that either the Blues gave up too much, or gave up on Palushaj.

I`m contesting that, perhaps, to the Blues, D`agostini is worth more to them than he is worth to is. Kind of like how Halak or Price is worth more to us than they would probably fetch in a trade at this point. Eitherway, it`s strange to think that the Blues are giving up a young player for a piece that is entirely worthless.

To your last point, I understand that you generally deal away a disappointment for another. However, from what Blues fan have said and given Palushaj`s age and how high the Blue`s organization was on him just recently, I hesitate to categorize him as a disappointment. Blue`s are right now 3 pts out of a playoff spot. Maybe they think Dago can provide a spark. Certainly, you would have to think that Dago is more ready for the NHL than Palushaj. Also, realistically, with the depth of the Blue`s prospects system, I don`t think Palushaj is making that team anytime soon. So it could have very well been that Palushaj just wasn`t needed. Many Blues fans have compared him to McClement. But just because he wasn`t needed doesn`t mean he has fallen out of favor. They just dealt an asset that is similar to what they have right now already on the team for something they might have a use for.

Again, your guess is as good as mine as to why the Blue`s dealt him. I really like the deal from our POV and you would have to think the Blue`s liked something in Dago. Honestly, think about it this way, if we found a way to off load Dago who we thought was useless, the Blues would have found a better way to off load someone like Palushaj who is younger and can be arguably more skilled if he truly has fallen out of favor than simply just picking up the hab`s 'garbage'. One man`s garbage is another man`s treasure I guess? Dago definitely has more value that what we thought and it bodes well for some of the other assets we have.
Exactly! Aaron Palushaj did not fall out of favour () with JD and company. He was depth expense. I sure hope D'Agostini brings it because I know Palushaj will for Hamilton. As long he gets over his injury........

His name is not French, but Albanian. It's just a strange name. The kid is a good old American boy from Michigan.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:14 AM
  #144
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,661
vCash: 50
I don't know why people are that excited. The way i see it, d'ags has proven more than Palushaj. While Palushaj may end up better, he may not end up making it at all. Besides, he isn't much of a goal scorer. If he ends up playing with pacioretty, I'm wondering who's gonna shoot. Haven't seen the kid but just wondering how people can say
"long term steal" or whatever. If D'ags becomes a 20 goal scorer with a decent defensive awareness then I find it hard to believe Palushaj could top that if he's projected to be a 3rd liner. I honestly believe it's just a matter of buying time, the habs didn't want a project ON the team, a project in the minors they can live with.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:10 AM
  #145
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, I have no idea about that. I have a good deal of respect for the Blues' scouting and development managerial teams too, so it's a curious case.

Above all else, what I like about this deal is that Palushaj is actually a hockey player. His hockey sense is his greatest asset, and it's tough to put a limit on players who thrive on sense. The fact that Montreal put an emphasis on hockey sense in this deal above fluff stats (as D'Agostini will likely continue to put up) is the real win here. Hopefully it's indicative of what attributes Gauthier seeks.
Gauthier was also the main guy responsible for targetting Tom Pyatt out of NY, also fast, with good hockey sense.

Interestingly both Palushaj and Pyatt played in the WJC for their respective countries.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:27 AM
  #146
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
By the way, I'm actually entirely shocked that St-Louis did two things here:

1) gave up on Palushaj. I understand that he's still a medium to long shot type of player, given his attributes and limitations concerning the role he can play on a team, but actually giving up on a prospect is a rare move. Palushaj has less than stellar stats at the AHL level, but he started the season at 19-years old. And this is after excellent performances at the NCAA level. The fact that a strong scouting team in St-Louis has given up on him is peculiar, and begs the question why. This leads into the following point...

2) I'm shocked that D'Agostini carried any value whatsoever. I thought he might have some marginal value sufficient enough to be claimed on waivers by some middling team, but completely dismissed the notion that he'd carry any substantial value.

So I suppose the question is: did D'Agostini carry any value, or did St-Louis just give up on Palushaj altogether?

Or, more likely, was it a bit of both?
Both AND neither. St. Louis is gambling that D'Agostini, who has ALREADY proven he can dominate the AHL and has shown a flash of competing at the NHL level, can help them MORE QUICKLY than Palushaj, who has proven he can dominate at the NCAA and has shown flashes of competing in the AHL.

The Habs are eliminating a tremendous headache caused by the CBA in that Dags is waiver-eligible, even though ideally he probably needs a bit more help from a Guy Boucher. Now we see why the Habs did not want to put Dags on waivers. 23 year old players who can skate and who have already scored 13 NHL goals in about 1 season's worth of 10 min/game play have value.

Having said that, kudos to Pierre Gauthier and his team for identifying a club to whom Dags has some value and that has an asset they can afford to deal us in return. In a trade situation, it's almost always about the relative needs of the clubs.

If someone had told me a month ago that we traded our 2011 2nd round pick for the Blues 2007 2nd round pick who was still 20 yo, and that we converted Dago, soon to be lost on waivers or stuck in the pressbox forever, into a Dominic Moore rental/tryout, I would not have objected.

Anyway, we will now see what Guy Boucher can do with Palushaj. I am quite satisfied with the odds that he succeeds (33%?) versus the odds Dago had of succeeding here (virtually zero).

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:37 AM
  #147
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go
 
We Want The 25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Donk know much about him but i just remamber the name from the wjc couple of years ago. I didnt think we would get anything for him so getting a young player with alot of potential looks like a great trade for me hopefully more to come

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:46 AM
  #148
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
That guy is a 2nd round pick, so I guess he has some potential. Too bad he's even smaller than D'ago.
where does he fit with the midgets we have ?

we need size and depth on the bottom 6 ....whose job is he going to take?

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:48 AM
  #149
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
technically a good trade, but another midget? seriously?


unless Sergei gets moved ...or some other move

he cant play bottom 6 minutes ...

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:18 AM
  #150
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Now I'm happy with this trade... and I do think D'Ags will do better in St. Louis where he'll hopefully get some ice time this year.

But I have to wonder what made D'Ags more valuable than Enver Lisin. Roughly as proven... roughly same age... I would say Lisin has better potential. I guess there's the fear of him taking off to the KHL... But let's just say I'm happy with Gauthier's deal here when earlier today it seemed like D'Ags was waiver wire material at best.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.