HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keep Clowe away from Pavs!!!

Old
03-03-2010, 01:18 AM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Keep Clowe away from Pavs!!!

How much evidence does Todd McLellan need to figure out that Clowe and Pavelski are horrible together. It's been so obvious for months now. When Manny seems like a godsend on that line, you know there is a problem. I'd even rather see Clowe with Thornton just to keep him away from Pavelski, and he actually does okay with JT since they both slow down everything so much. However, I think he belongs on the 3rd line as a grit guy/enforcer and don't see him as a second liner at this point..especially with his lack of skating ability. 3rd line with powerplay time seems appropriate.

It seems like this team has had chemistry issues for years now and when we actually find lines that work we break them up. We never stayed with Sundstrum/Ricci/Thornton long enough, we broke up Ekman/JT/Cheechoo after they were easily the best line in hockey and we couldn't even keep Boyle with Luko and they were great together and a clear top defensive pairing.

Also, does anyone else think clowe's skating is a huge liability to this team? I like Clowe and he played pretty good in the playoffs, but even when he's good I wonder how much skating room the opposition is gaining just on his lack of speed and mobility. He may be worse than Murray and has got to be the slowest forward in the NHL. I'm not even sure anyone would take him with his contract.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Kitten Mittons

I agree with this man.

Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi (a mess defensively)
Marleau - Pavelski - Malhotra (beasts defensively)
Clowe - Nichol - McGinn
Ortmeyer - Mitchell - Staubitz

Having Staubitz on the team pains me.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Suddenly Zyuzin

Having Thornton on the team pains me.

Suddenly Zyuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:34 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I agree with this man.

Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi (a mess defensively)
Marleau - Pavelski - Malhotra (beasts defensively)
Clowe - Nichol - McGinn
Ortmeyer - Mitchell - Staubitz

Having Staubitz on the team pains me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Zyuzin View Post
Having Thornton on the team pains me.
Yeah I'm gonna agree with the Thornton comment, he looked bad in the olympics too and just doesn't have the right mentality...

I like Staubby though. He can actually skate pretty well and crushes people constantly with huge hits. Like he did to Clarkson tonight. We gotta have at least 1 agitator/tough guy on this team and it's great having one who can actually move a bit and chip in offensively sometimes.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Pinkfloyd

Clowe-Thornton-Setoguchi
Marleau-Pavelski-Heatley

If Clowe is with Thornton, I can only get mad at one of them for turning the puck over and maybe with Thornton on the boards, it leaves Clowe to finally play at the net instead of on the perimeter. Never will happen though.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:52 AM
SharksAddict

Clowe should be relegated to the 3rd line until he realizes he needs to shoot the damn puck instead of trying to be a playmaker. Only a guy with Thornton's vision and passing ability can get away with that style.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:58 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Pavs and Clowe aren't very far apart in scoring.

Pavelski PPG: .75
Clowe PPG: .65

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAddict View Post
Clowe should be relegated to the 3rd line until he realizes he needs to shoot the damn puck instead of trying to be a playmaker. Only a guy with Thornton's vision and passing ability can get away with that style.
I think he should play with Jumbo to force him off the boards because he's not going to force Jumbo off the boards and he's not going to be on the puck as much with him there so him with Thornton and either Setoguchi or Marleau wouldn't be a bad setup. Keeping him on the 3rd line isn't going to accomplish anything because even if he gets going with just playing right, it doesn't mean he'll play right with Pavs or whoever.

Old
03-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I think he should play with Jumbo to force him off the boards because he's not going to force Jumbo off the boards and he's not going to be on the puck as much with him there so him with Thornton and either Setoguchi or Marleau wouldn't be a bad setup. Keeping him on the 3rd line isn't going to accomplish anything because even if he gets going with just playing right, it doesn't mean he'll play right with Pavs or whoever.
Thornton and Clowe, apart from one month in January of 2007, have always been a horrible fit together. They play too similar of a game and both slow down the game too much to be on the same line.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:07 AM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Playing him on the 3rd line will force him to simplify his game because he'll be playing with less skilled players. They tried Clowe-Thornton-Heatley earlier in the year and it was brutal. The line looked like slow motion out there.

Old
03-03-2010, 02:08 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Crab catcher is so awesome

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

I sure hope DW wakes up n smells the upset, before it's too late..

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:27 AM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
I sure hope DW wakes up n smells the upset, before it's too late..
Not much he can do at this point. The cap situation would force him to move a contract like Clowe's to bring in any piece that would make a difference. I really don't see a drastic move like that being made considering his comments that he would keep the core together.

Old
03-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Quote:
Not much he can do at this point. The cap situation would force him to move a contract like Clowe's to bring in any piece that would make a difference. I really don't see a drastic move like that being made considering his comments that he would keep the core together.
O well, there's always next year...

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:41 AM
risingsun*

Clowe-Thornton-Heatley
Marleau-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Nichol-Malhotra-Ortmeyer
Mcginn-Mitchell-Staubtiz

I think if we put Thornton with linemates (i.e. Clowe) that make him more responsible by moving his feet instead of coasting, he won't get too lazy and passive on us.

risingsun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:27 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Heater-Thornton-Seto
Marleau-Pavs-Malhotra
Clowe-Mitchell-Ortmeyer
Nichol

I like McGinn as a player but he hasn't been able to develop chemistry with anyone from what I've seen. I don't mind Clowe on the 3rd line and prefer Marleau on the second as it spreads out scoring. I like Clowe with Ortmeyer.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:33 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Heater-Thornton-Seto
Marleau-Pavs-Malhotra
Clowe-Mitchell-Ortmeyer
Nichol

I like McGinn as a player but he hasn't been able to develop chemistry with anyone from what I've seen. I don't mind Clowe on the 3rd line and prefer Marleau on the second as it spreads out scoring. I like Clowe with Ortmeyer.
I'd like to see Vesce with Thornton again just for experimental purposes, but would he have to clear waivers?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Am I mis-remembering that before Malhotra got hurt, we had switched the lines such that the 2nd was Manny-Pavs-Seto, and the 3rd was Clowe-Nichol-Ort, and when that switch was made there was secondary scoring all over the place? Like, that got messed up when Manny was hurt, but he's back now, so why aren't we running with those lines in the middle, and the usual top line (or swapping Seto with Patty if it seems worth it)? They were effective, and I don't recall them losing effectiveness until Mitchell was injured.

Also, Mitchell shouldn't be playing on the 3rd line. I don't hate Mitchell (although the fact that his offensive talent is currently worse than Goc's annoys me), but he is bringing nothing to the scoring side of things, and I'm pretty sure Nichol or Ortmeyer are way more effective on the third than him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'd like to see Vesce with Thornton again just for experimental purposes, but would he have to clear waivers?
I think so, which I think is why he hasn't gotten a shot. We can't shuttle him back and forth (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Pavs and Clowe aren't very far apart in scoring.

Pavelski PPG: .75
Clowe PPG: .65
clowes are a pile of secondary slop

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
SJeasy

IMO, some of the stagnation on the top line looks like JT and Marleau force feeding Heatley. Easy to defend and Heatley is fanning on a lot. Too predictable for the opposition. On Pavs/Clowe, Malhotra was likely getting time to get his legs because I suspect Clowe is a game or two from moving back to third line. At the end of the Devs game, it was Malhotra/Marleau/Pavs.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
IMO, some of the stagnation on the top line looks like JT and Marleau force feeding Heatley. Easy to defend and Heatley is fanning on a lot. Too predictable for the opposition. On Pavs/Clowe, Malhotra was likely getting time to get his legs because I suspect Clowe is a game or two from moving back to third line. At the end of the Devs game, it was Malhotra/Marleau/Pavs.
I liked Patty, Pavs and Manny. Very defensively responsible.

Seto is becoming Cheech II. Hopefully, Joe realizes Heater doesn't have to score 100 goals and starts mixing things up.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:14 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
that's ridiculous.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
SharksAddict

Comparing Seto to Cheech is laughable. Seto has youth on his side, and more importantly, is a very good skater.

Old
03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Thornton and Clowe, apart from one month in January of 2007, have always been a horrible fit together. They play too similar of a game and both slow down the game too much to be on the same line.
I know that but if he's on Thornton's line, Thornton will be hogging the puck. That means that it won't be Clowe pulling up at the attacking blue line and it won't be Clowe that stops the play when there's a lane to the net available. It might even force Clowe to drive the net but that's a best case scenario. Imo, if he's not on the top two lines, it's a waste and he should be dealt now. I think he'd be fine with Thornton as long as Seto or Marleau are on the other wing providing some speed on the forecheck.

Quote:
Playing him on the 3rd line will force him to simplify his game because he'll be playing with less skilled players. They tried Clowe-Thornton-Heatley earlier in the year and it was brutal. The line looked like slow motion out there.
It will simplify his game but he's done that before and then gets rewarded and then complicates things again. It's a bad habit of his. Clowe-Thornton-Heatley was doomed to failure right from the get-go because there's no speed on that line and it was pretty much forced when Seto and Pavs were out. Marleau-Thornton-Clowe or Clowe-Thornton-Setoguchi will yield different results because they will have a decent forecheck at minimum and some speed off the puck that doesn't come when it's Heatley there instead.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Clowe gets points when he gets into the ugly areas of the ice. He doesn't do that with Pavs. What sucks is that Pavs has a really nice shot but it's always Pavs going to the front of the net and Clowe holding it along the sideboards. Mehhh.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote