HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not call up Shirokov, Grabner, and Hodgson as the fourth line?

Old
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Russian_fanatic

vCash: 500
Why not call up Shirokov, Grabner, and Hodgson as the fourth line?

When the OHL season is over why not call these 3 up and make them the fourth line? Our fourth line isn't physical or solid defensively, so why not have a energy fourth line with youth who have offensive talent? I'd take a chance with them and make a Kid Line like Toronto had a while back.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Kid_Roll

A Kid Line is for teams that have no success in the forseeable future. They can then go "Oh man, did you see the Kid Line last night? We've got great things ahead." You can then laugh off the many mistakes that Kid Line will make as you are tanking and not making the playoffs.

For a team expected to make waves in the playoffs, you'd never see a 4th line like that put together.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
When the OHL season is over why not call these 3 up and make them the fourth line? Our fourth line isn't physical or solid defensively, so why not have a energy fourth line with youth who have offensive talent? I'd take a chance with them and make a Kid Line like Toronto had a while back.
Unless you mean the Leafs Kid line of Busher Jackson, Joe Primeau and Charlie Conacher - I do not think so.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BloatedGuppy

Given the fourth line usually plays rough and tumble minutes against the other team's thugs and energy players, I think it's an excellent plan to pit three slightly built youngsters against them.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Grabner: 9 career NHL games
Shirokov: 6 career NHL games
Hodgson: 0 career NHL games

good idea, what could possibly go wrong?

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Moobles

I've always thought rolling 4 scoring lines is best but you also have to think of playing minutes. It might be worth more to have them develop in the AHL where they'd be on the top lines than playing 8 minutes a night.

That said, a Grabner-Hodgson-Shiorkov line to me beats Hordichuk-Johnson-Rypien any day.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
I've always thought rolling 4 scoring lines is best but you also have to think of playing minutes. It might be worth more to have them develop in the AHL where they'd be on the top lines than playing 8 minutes a night.

That said, a Grabner-Hodgson-Shiorkov line to me beats Hordichuk-Johnson-Rypien any day.
That's nice, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too, but in reality it wont work. These kids will develop much better getting quality minutes in the AHL; it's not like either of them have dominated the league. Plus, if you DO bring in rookies you often put them in a situation where they can succeed. Like in Grabner's case this season, he was placed in a top 6 role with two skilled players. Do you think he woulda been as effective playing against thugs with two other players that have zero NHL experience? Likely not.

In short, very stupid plan.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Not enough mins.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Lard_Lad

And once Hodgson hits nine games, what do you do? Play him again and burn a year of his ELC for what might turn out to be only a handful of playoff games on the fourth line?

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
rye&ginger

Hodgson and Grabner stick with us next season I think. Shirokov has to re-prove he can play in the NHL, assuming he doesn't flee.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Lol, you should never endeavour to do something the Leafs do.

That being said, I've often wondered when they'll give Mario Bliznak a call up, given the 3rd/4th line centre situation. Maybe next time Johnson gets hurt.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post

Sure, if you have no concept of role's and balance on a team.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
This kind of idea is the type of thing Toronto would do, kind of like trading away a few first round picks and a second round pick for a player who has no business being on the team at this point of a rebuilding period. This isn't Toronto, thank Christ too.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Timmer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Sure, if you have no concept of role's and balance on a team.
Haha, no kidding. I'm sure the Sedin's, Luongo and Mason Raymond would love it having zero toughness up front. That'd be great!

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
Hodgson and Grabner stick with us next season I think. Shirokov has to re-prove he can play in the NHL, assuming he doesn't flee.
Have you seen any reports that Shirokov has been able to get the defensive side of the game?

My buddy who used to live in Winnipeg and keep me updated on the Moose has moved to New Brunswick.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Moobles

Quote:
That's nice, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside too, but in reality it wont work. These kids will develop much better getting quality minutes in the AHL; it's not like either of them have dominated the league. Plus, if you DO bring in rookies you often put them in a situation where they can succeed. Like in Grabner's case this season, he was placed in a top 6 role with two skilled players. Do you think he woulda been as effective playing against thugs with two other players that have zero NHL experience? Likely not.

In short, very stupid plan.
Ya, I mostly agree. Unless they were being given 3rd line minutes (essentially rolling 4 lines); so they'd be a utility 3rd line, not just a 4th line rolling as an energy line.

The logic in not doing that though is that there's simply not enough time for all players to get on and score. But afaik, it hasn't been done in the modern NHL (it used to be really common in the pre-lockout to roll 4 lines 'cause you'd sign old vets). Still, it'd be kinda cool if someone tried it.

iirc as well the "Frat Pack" line for Toronto was their 3rd line, not their 4th line (Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson) and it was mostly in the preseason. Given who's on their team, that could easily rotate up to their second line at this point.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

Cause they cant play in the Big Gamezzz!

The Protein Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

preseason toronto maple leaf games should not be used as a barometer for anything successful

this idea might have more merit if there was some size in the top 9 forwards but there isn't much at all

small, soft, and speedy is not a formula for successful 3rd or 4th lines in the playoffs

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
small, soft, and speedy is not a formula for successful 3rd or 4th lines in the playoffs
But the big, tough, physical, intimidating canucks fourth line is the formula for success in the playoffs? Our fourth line does nothing for us right now, it's actually quite the liability whenever we throw it out there.

If they went out there hit everything in sight and played adequate defense like a fourth line could, I could understand, but is there honestly anything our fourth has done for us? Our fourth line center has been horrible on the PK this season, and has NO GOALS.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
And once Hodgson hits nine games, what do you do? Play him again and burn a year of his ELC for what might turn out to be only a handful of playoff games on the fourth line?
Although I'm not defending this dumb idea. Playoff games don't count towards the ELC.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Quote:
But the big, tough, physical, intimidating canucks fourth line is the formula for success in the playoffs? Our fourth line does nothing for us right now, it's actually quite the liability whenever we throw it out there.

If they went out there hit everything in sight and played adequate defense like a fourth line could, I could understand, but is there honestly anything our fourth has done for us? Our fourth line center has been horrible on the PK this season, and has NO GOALS.
As much as you all seem to hate RyJo, he is built for the playoffs. We didn't put up with his plumbing all year just to shove him to the Moose come playoffs.

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

None of what you are talking about is AV's fault. He plays the players he is given. A couple upgrades in terms of bottom 6 players would have been nice, but we didn't get them. That doesn't mean you throw any hope at balance out the window in favour of rolling four of the softest lines I've ever seen assembled.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Have you seen any reports that Shirokov has been able to get the defensive side of the game?

My buddy who used to live in Winnipeg and keep me updated on the Moose has moved to New Brunswick.
Just media stuff, which I dont really trust to be honest. Google news search his name and there are a few articles from the last several weeks. Seems like he is playing well but still learning a lot.

eg.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/AHL...70281-qmi.html

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-Sharks-1.html

Overall, promising I guess.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Can we actually call Hodgson up for the playoffs outside of an emergency situation? I don't like the idea of playing any of those players on the fourth line, but Hodgson could possibly be a fairly significant impact third line option if Wellwood falters.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
galiano

This does raise the issue of our very crappy 4th line. Who is going to be on that line in the playoffs ? Hordichuk is useless. Johnson is having a dismal year. Rypien has zero offence. Bolduc is injured. Wouldn't it be nice to have some toughness and talent in the same player. Where's Bob Probert when we need him ???

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote