HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOLSKI has been dealt

Old
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
PeterTheGreat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickkelly26 View Post
I must say, i'm gonna miss the guy, but at least i won't have to scream at the tv everytime Wolski doesn't finish a check or doesn't back check hard enough.

Think this deal was reviewed by Lacroix?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was initiated by Lacroix. He doesn't like players who could be tough in negotiations and I wouldn't be surprised if he got fed up with Wolski's lackadaisical play and big contract demands.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
ESY16

Send a message via MSN to ESY16
Mueller has played RW in the NHL. Porter can play all 3 forward positions.

ESY16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Will Mueller make it tonight? Phoenix isn't exactly far from Anaheim and the Avs could use him.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:44 PM
AvsFanInBuffalo

I guess I need a new user name, haha. Which mod can help with that?

Though I don't really mind the move, maybe Mueller needed a change of scenery?

AvsFanInBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
ESY16

Send a message via MSN to ESY16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Will Mueller make it tonight? Phoenix isn't exactly far from Anaheim and the Avs could use him.
Dater says that Mueller will play tonight.

ESY16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Good trade. The only thing that bothers me is that Mueller is rumored to have issues with his dedication to hockey, at the moment (according to McGuire).

Hopefully that is only because of how high he was drafted and how he is now struggling. Maybe if he plays on the 1st line with Stastny he can get some of his jam back.

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Good trade. The only thing that bothers me is that Mueller is rumored to have issues with his dedication to hockey at the moment (according to McGuire).
He just needs one of Sacco's patented "come to Jesus" talks. Right?

madman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Problem is, he's not the Avs best player. I'd hardly put him top 5. Basically it comes down to either paying him now an undeserved amount due to LW being a weak position league wide or trading him. They feel there are players that can fill in the void just fine all while saving money. Like people have mentioned, it's no coincidence he ended up in the doghouse of three coaches. If he's ever gonna "rip it up" anywhere, the head that is firmly planted in his buttocks needs to be removed and he needs to play, not float. Like so many trades, it doesn't look good right now, in the moment, but longterm it could be a blessing in disguise.
Yes, but people need to understand we are gambling here with Mueller. We know what we got in Wolski (floater, sure, but he's been much more consistent than Mueller in last few years). We are just hoping Mueller turns out good. This is big gamble for what? Mueller will most likely top out what Wolski is now. We are gambling for nothing. It's like we are betting $500 and not winning anything, only losing. That's my view on this trade.

What's the point? This only makes sense, if we can replace Wolski now. Example Tanguay coming back etc. I would certainly like that. It would most likely make our team better in future and now.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
hockeyfish

After much thought, I think this trade may work out. I feel it will eventually make us better in the end. I think you can compare it to the Smyth trade. It needed to be done, and the Avs will probably be better, but we left some value on the table. The Avs probably should have received a pick, as opposed to giving one up. There is also a significant possibility of hitting a homerun with this deal.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Good trade. The only thing that bothers me is that Mueller is rumored to have issues with his dedication to hockey, at the moment (according to McGuire).

Hopefully that is only because of how high he was drafted and how he is now struggling. Maybe if he plays on the 1st line with Stastny he can get some of his jam back.
He used to live in Phoenix. It's like sand and very hot. Of course you start thinking about, why the **** I'm playing hockey in the middle of sandstorm? Trust me, he will be motivated when he's going to play with Stastny. This is his chance to prove himself again, that he can be top-player in this team and league.

Old
03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Erickkelly26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
After much thought, I think this trade may work out. I feel it will eventually make us better in the end. I think you can compare it to the Smyth trade. It needed to be done, and the Avs will probably be better, but we left some value on the table. The Avs probably should have received a pick, as opposed to giving one up. There is also a significant possibility of hitting a homerun with this deal.
no pick was given up by the Avs, non confirmed at least

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Smyth trade worked out way too well for us. Quincey has been awesome. After all, Smyth was clearly a salary dump. Wolski was no salary dump. We can pay him $4 mil. a year and it's not end of the world.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
He just needs one of Sacco's patented "come to Jesus" talks. Right?
Or one of Budaj's, right?

54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Smyth trade worked out way too well for us. Quincey has been awesome. After all, Smyth was clearly a salary dump. Wolski was no salary dump. We can pay him $4 mil. a year and it's not end of the world.
Just saying that both needed to be traded, I believe both will work out, and both should have brought back more.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Erickkelly26

does anyone have the link to the phone interview with Wolski, someone said Wolski had a phone interview would love to here it

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
AVSfan2daMAX

Wow I'm surprised we traded Wolski. I really like Mueller though, ever since in juniors with Everett. Hopefully he can benefit from a change of scenery. He'll be a good player, I'm sure.

Really don't know much about Porter though. I know he had a lot of success in NCAA but what can I expect from him at the NHL level, if anyone knows?

AVSfan2daMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
PeterTheGreat

Old
03-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I hope the Pepsi Center pro shop is loading up on iron-on number 8's and "Mueller" nameplates.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Maybe Budaj will be enough Christian to keep him on this team

Old
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Maybe Budaj will be enough Christian to keep him on this team
I thought Mueller was Jewish.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I thought Mueller was Jewish.
Oh shoot.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Fluke

The more I think about this trade, the more I don't mind it. It hurts to lose Wolly but if Mueller can reach anywhere close to his ceiling playing next to Stastny or Duchene then this will be a success. Porter is a solid depth pick up too, can play any forward position and I remember hearing good things about him. Good kind of player to have on a team that likes to get injured.

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
PeterTheGreat

Another thing to remember is, Wolski never really had much chemistry with any of our centers, save for Sakic a little bit. He doesn't really mesh well with Stastny or Duchene to be honest. Hopefully Mueller will be a better fit for one of our centers.

Old
03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 133
Terrible trade for the Avs. I'm not a huge fan of Wolski, and I easily understand the frustration towards him.

But the Avs just traded their best (and really only) left winger in the organization for two MORE centers.

Porter's almost 24 and he's still stuck in the AHL. Some people who have watched him play are calling him average to below average defensively and a good playmaker. He's like the second coming of TJ Hensick. Not to mention he's got the curse of the Hobey Backer award around his neck (remember how excellent Leopold was?). Ironic that Porter and Hensick played well together, since they're going to be getting a chance to be playing well together again... in the AHL.

Mueller's got potential, but his potential isn't much greater than Wolski's. He's also a long, LONG way away from his potential. Wolski's at least been a 40-50 pt guy in the NHL for the past 4 years. Mueller had a great rookie year and then has declined horrifically since.

Seriously, what are we going to do with so many centers? Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Mueller, Porter, Hensick. They can't all play center! You have to have SOME left wingers! Right now our organization depth at LW consists of: McLeod (3rd line tops), Tucker (UFA), Stoa (might make it as a 2nd liner), Galiardi (forced to play LW because we're stacked at center).

I'm beginning to think that Sherman just hates left wingers on principle. He's traded away our 2 best ones for more players in places of organizational strength (center and d-man).

It'd be like trading away Anderson for Jordan Staal. Staal's a good center and all, but Anderson's our only goalie and WE DON'T NEED CENTERS!

I can only think of two explanations for trading Wolski now instead of after the season:

1) Whatever happened in the lockerroom between Sacco and Wolski after Monday's game was epic, and Wolski basically demanded a trade.

2) Kroenke is pushing Sherman HARD to clear out salary NOW.

If the Avs wait until after the season to trade Wolski, we could've still gotten a much better deal than we got here. I've been against signing Kovalchuk as a FA because he's going to go for league max, but we have basically no alternatives at LW for several more years.

Basically, I'm

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
54toscore

Open question: anyone know what kind of shot Mueller has? It would be nice to have a forward with a dangerous shot, esp. for power play purposes. Wolski got his points from stickhandling and every once in awhile driving to the net (earlier this year).

As for the trade, I've been a Wolski supporter for awhile and could see him improving under the heavier hand of Tippett. That said, when you look at the contracts that Stajan and Bourque got from Calgary (which will set the market), there's no way the Avs want to be paying Wolski that kind of money and term with the way he's drifted in and out over the past three years. I do wonder, however, what Boston was offering for Wolski.

Last edited by 54toscore: 03-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.
54toscore is offline   Reply With Quote