HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline, UFAs, RFAs and more - Part III

Old
03-03-2010, 03:00 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
Maybe my english is bad. I'm not saying Pronger hasn't been good for us or that I don't want him. I'm saying we overpaid and moved the only real movable assets we had for him. That is ok if Pronger would have been the last missing piece. Turns out he wasn't (unless we win..... Yeah, right). That trade crippled us alot more than Jones on re-entry even if that move is a far bigger misstake. Cap isn't our biggest issue, lack of assets is.
How do we lack in assets?

We have 2 scoring lines, a 3rd line that's teetering on the edge of a scoring line, and a hardcore defensive 4th line. In other words, we have 4 offensive lines that we can play at just about any time of the game.

Some teams are lucky to have 2 good lines and 2 lines of AHLers/scrubs. Plus we have a Hart winning defenseman, an All Star defenseman (Kimmo), and a few other solid defensemen. The only lacking asset is a goaltender. We're lucky that's all we're lacking.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
rixXx

I'm happy we didn't make any trades...I love our the team the way it is (yes, Leighton included). We may not be the best team in the conference but I guarantee everybody in the Eastern Conference does not want to play us in the playoffs. I hope we rip shyt up in the playoffs so we can shut all those idiots up who think we can't contend.

rixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

I find it interesting people are pointing to the fact that Nitty is having a career year, but refuse to accept that leighton might be too.
Sure, Nitty had a great olympics once, but was never able to win the job here, and rightfully so.

LEighton's success is obviously a product of the improved Defense, but that's just what the Defense is, vastly improved.

I also think Leighton has gotten beyond the lucky point is really putting some good games together.

Nitty got lit up last night on not that many shots.
Leighton faced a lot of rubber and played well.

What gives?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

We have 2 scoring lines, a 3rd line that's teetering on the edge of a scoring line, and a hardcore defensive 4th line. In other words, we have 4 offensive lines that we can play at just about any time of the game.

Some teams are lucky to have 2 good lines and 2 lines of AHLers/scrubs. Plus we have a Hart winning defenseman, an All Star defenseman (Kimmo), and a few other solid defensemen. The only lacking asset is a goaltender. We're lucky that's all we're lacking.
I meant movable assets. For situations like I don't know.... Today...? We needed a goalie.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
dookie88

Quote:

Assets = things you can move to get something.
Flyers currently don't have anyone they could or would move with value.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JSTAFF

I still think we should ahve made a push for Price or Halak. Who knows, maybe we did. Neither of these guys were even rumour'd about.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I meant movable assets. For situations like I don't know.... Today...? We needed a goalie.
But that's my point, the only thing we need is a goalie. The fact that no one else is movable is a good thing. It means everything else is good. Why screw that up, on top of the chemistry the team has developed since October? There's a good amount of goalies on the market come June/July, worry about it then.

Edit: There seems to be this fear of Leighton. Unproven? Sure. But so far he's 13-3-1. Call me crazy, but he's proven himself over a decent chunk of time. Does the guy have to go 82-0-0 for everyone around here to think that he might just work for this team?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I agree that lack of assets killed this team more than lack of cap space. If you have assets, you can tip toe around the cap problems.
Thank you for being just about the only one not to misunderstand me. I didn't think my english was that bad...

Do you also agree that Homer overpayed in the Pronger trade? Or maybe that's just me.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

He said movable assets. Are you stoned? We have none of those. We will be getting no more top-6 worthy young players for, what, at least 4 years (assuming some conditioning in the AHL/NCAA is needed) and the three young guys we have, JVR/Giroux/Carter aren't able to be traded. We desperately need them all moving forward.

So, we don't have a real goalie and by the time we have another injection of significant talent, Pronger and Kimmo and Briere will be shells of their former selves... yet still, of course, drawing big money.

Homer ****ed us. He ****ed us for the next 4-6 years. I'm not saying that we'll miss the playoffs (though we may) but we won't be among the elite of the league, not even close. **** you Homer. **** you.

The only chance this team has is if the next CBA really benefits big market teams like the Flyers in one form or another.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Ha, busiest Trade Deadline ever.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*

Flames made out like bandits!

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Ha, busiest Trade Deadline ever.
Salary cap ramifications.

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Goaltending is overrated. Moving a major piece for anyone but Vokoun would have been a complete failure.

Giroux/JVR for Price/Halak/Harding = FAILURE.
Gagne/Hartnell for Thomas/Turco = FAILURE.

We don't need movable assets. We need a goalie like Ray Emery to stay healthy. You can't control what's on the market, and honestly, I saw no players moved that could really make our team better in ways that wouldn't hurt us long-term.

We turned:

John Stevens
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
5th round 2011

Into:

Peter Laviolette
Lukas Krajicek
Mike Leighton
Ville Leino
Luke Pither
Shane Harper

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
rixXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He said movable assets. Are you stoned? We have none of those. We will be getting no more top-6 worthy young players for, what, at least 4 years (assuming some conditioning in the AHL/NCAA is needed) and the three young guys we have, JVR/Giroux/Carter aren't able to be traded. We desperately need them all moving forward.

So, we don't have a real goalie and by the time we have another injection of significant talent, Pronger and Kimmo and Briere will be shells of their former selves... yet still, of course, drawing big money.

Homer ****ed us. He ****ed us for the next 4-6 years. I'm not saying that we'll miss the playoffs (though we may) but we won't be among the elite of the league, not even close. **** you Homer. **** you.

The only chance this team has is if the next CBA really benefits big market teams like the Flyers in one form or another.
Why do we need top 6 forwards coming in when we have a solid group of top 6 guys for many years to come

rixXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

you dont understand what assets are. Picks, attractive prospects etc

going forward we really need Briere or hartnell to waive NTCs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixXx View Post
I'm happy we didn't make any trades...I love our the team the way it is (yes, Leighton included). We may not be the best team in the conference but I guarantee everybody in the Eastern Conference does not want to play us in the playoffs. I hope we rip shyt up in the playoffs so we can shut all those idiots up who think we can't contend.
I agree with this, although I am pissed that we couldn't make a move for a goalie.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

I'm not quite this pessimistic, but we really need a ****ing goalie for the longterm, some of us have been complaining about this for more than 5 years.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Goaltending is overrated. Moving a major piece for anyone but Vokoun would have been a complete failure.

Giroux/JVR for Price/Halak/Harding = FAILURE.
Gagne/Hartnell for Thomas/Turco = FAILURE.

We don't need movable assets. We need a goalie like Ray Emery to stay healthy. You can't control what's on the market, and honestly, I saw no players moved that could really make our team better in ways that wouldn't hurt us long-term.

We turned:

John Stevens
Ole-Kristian Tollefsen
5th round 2011

Into:

Peter Laviolette
Lukas Krajicek
Mike Leighton
Ville Leino
Luke Pither
Shane Harper
So much of that is wrong.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Valhoun*

I would seriously try to get Briere to waive his NMC for Montreal's 6th RD pick in the offseason. And I like Briere, but we need the cap room moving forward.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Watch Leighton go out there tonight and tear something. And no, I will not take it back.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
I would seriously try to get Briere to waive his NMC for Montreal's 6th RD pick in the offseason. And I like Briere, but we need the cap room moving forward.
He's worth well more than a 6th, even with his horrible contract.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Luke Pither
Shane Harper
Why even mention these guys? This wasn't shrewd management, this was signing guys because your scouts liked them. And they don't help us now. When they traded for Pronger, it was all about the now. Michael Leighton is going to be left holding the back when he doesn't deserve to

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Atleast Homer admits we aren't favored for the cup. He is pretty much going with "Anything can happen" comment.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/

Quote:
Wednesday's trade deadline was one of the most boring in recent memory: 25 trades involving 42 players and 19 draft picks with none of them involving marquee players. Last year's deadline featured 45 trades.

Biggest winners: Washington, Phoenix and Pittsburgh. Buffalo also added to their team.

Other teams to not make a move: Detroit, San Jose, Los Angeles and Montreal.

"I still believe that once you get into the playoffs," Holmgren said, "anything can happen."

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Wouldn't help us with our lack of assets

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Heh, we've gone from "Relentless" and "Cup Contenders" to "anything can happen."

How is he not fired?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote