HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

should the habs trade Theo this summer ?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2004, 02:50 PM
CoupeStanley

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Well Lalime would be the starter a bit like Hackett was. Transition goaltender. He'd play 40-50 games depending on how Garon does to bring him along. At the same time, if Garon can't get it done, Lalime can last us the 3-4 years it will take us to build a perennial Stanley Cup contender, and 3-4 years should be plenty to find a suitable goaltender for our "big team" then.
Enough is enough with the transition. We are 2-3 years away from 1st overall with Theo. I'm tired of this damn musical chair transition goaltender, gm, coach, captain.

It will sure be painful seeing Garon as a good goalie elsewhere. But it could be damn worse seeing Roy-like all over again.

We need to learn from our mistake. Theo is young, and IMO isn't mature enough yet to be consistant. It will come.

He's TOP 3 in the league. You don't trade that..

Old
04-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Guy!

I waded in, though I guess I chose the wrong thread. My response is contained herein, post number 9, I believe:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=74656

ACF

Old
04-29-2004, 03:10 PM
jcpenny

I've always had my doubts about Garon but after his game this year against L.A. i dont have them anymore. He's a darn good goaltender.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Enough is enough with the transition. We are 2-3 years away from 1st overall with Theo. I'm tired of this damn musical chair transition goaltender, gm, coach, captain.

It will sure be painful seeing Garon as a good goalie elsewhere. But it could be damn worse seeing Roy-like all over again.

We need to learn from our mistake. Theo is young, and IMO isn't mature enough yet to be consistant. It will come.

Ok, after reading all of the posts, I have changed my mind about Theo. We shouldn't trade him because he does have the potential. I definitely say the best course of action to take is to give Garon some more time next year, 25 games at least and see what he can do. If we make the playoffs next year and Theo plays well then he's going to expect a bigger contract because his contract would be up. Signing Theo after he has a good season would be very tough to do so if he gets traded then that will be the time. I can't see BG trading Theo after this year though, just doesn't make sense. Hey, I may not be Theo's biggest fan, but I'm fair enough to say that everybody makes mistakes and everybody needs a chance to prove everybody wrong the next time they have a chance.

But we all know that there are guys like Patrick Lalime that will never win a Stanley Cup. We all know who Jim Carey is. Theo's numbers haven't been impressive for the past 2 years and I think this next coming season will tell the tale on whether or not he'll stay with us. The team is improving in front of him and maybe he was always put on a pedestal because he was one of the only lights on the team. Now that we have some pressure on us to play well next year after a good season, we'll see how it goes.

So I've changed my mind for now. No, don't trade Theo. Wait and see.

Go Bob Go!

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 03:18 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Sure play Garon a bit more... 50 Theo 30 Garon..

But when Theo is HOT you don't play Garon.. That's killing his momentum

Old
04-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Sure play Garon a bit more... 50 Theo 30 Garon..

But when Theo is HOT you don't play Garon.. That's killing his momentum
I agree, but that brings Julien into question And that's a whole other thread

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 04:12 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:

It's not like we're going to be 1st overall in 2-3 years by just bringing up the young players in our system. A team stacked with Sakic, Forsberg, Sundin and Nolan couldn't make the playoffs immediately...

We'll need established players and we won't get top offensive talent for nothing. We're 3-4 years away from being perennial Stanley Cup contenders (the time it will take for our young players to adjust and become efficient/consistent as a whole in the NHL), so it doesn't really matter if we have a transition goaltender in between. Also, with our current goaltender situation, we can afford to trade one for some long-term offensive help.

Trading Garon and seeing him carry teams ala Giguere will be painful enough...

Also, about Theodore being TOP 3 in the league, I think you're highly mistaken. I wouldn't even be surprised if Theodore didn't make the Canada Olympic team!

So far in the playoffs, Theodore has been one of the WORST goaltenders. He doesn't even hold a hair on Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, Esche and Belfour. He's also been outplayed by Raycroft, Lalime, Auld, Aebisher and Vokoun from what I've seen of them. I'm sure you won't agree with some of them, but hey, everyone has their own evaluation of players.

I just think that Theodore definately doesn't have what it takes to carry a team to a Stanley Cup.

Old
04-29-2004, 04:20 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
But we all know that there are guys like Patrick Lalime that will never win a Stanley Cup.
Regardless of what a minority of people say, Lalime has been mostly spectacular during the playoffs. Last year, Lalime brought Ottawa to a conference final game 7, that's more than Theodore has ever done. The reason why Ottawa fans did stick with Lalime this year as the #1 was because they were hoping he'd bring back his awesome 2002-03 playoff play.

It's funny that Lalime gets burned for having 2 bad playoff games in 20+ playoff games over the past two years, while Theo is encensed even though he's had two equally bad games just this year in 10 games...

Old
04-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Regardless of what a minority of people say, Lalime has been mostly spectacular during the playoffs. Last year, Lalime brought Ottawa to a conference final game 7, that's more than Theodore has ever done. The reason why Ottawa fans did stick with Lalime this year as the #1 was because they were hoping he'd bring back his awesome 2002-03 playoff play.

It's funny that Lalime gets burned for having 2 bad playoff games in 20+ playoff games over the past two years, while Theo is encensed even though he's had two equally bad games just this year in 10 games...
It's mostly about making that one big save that you need...I couldn't care less if a goalie let's in 4 if we have scored 5...it's all about bending but not breaking. Lalime seemed to be ok but in game 7 he blew it, no question.

That's why I question Theo so much, because we NEED him to make that big save at the end of game 3.

We'll see how it goes I guess...for now he's not going anywhere.

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 04:35 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
It's mostly about making that one big save that you need...I couldn't care less if a goalie let's in 4 if we have scored 5...it's all about bending but not breaking. Lalime seemed to be ok but in game 7 he blew it, no question.

That's why I question Theo so much, because we NEED him to make that big save at the end of game 3.

We'll see how it goes I guess...for now he's not going anywhere.

Cap
What I meant is that Lalime made the big saves in the playoffs in the past, and consistently. He had two bad games where he let in very bad goals at times he shouldn't have, but other than that he's been pretty spectacular. It's just that people like to belittle Lalime (as in "HAHA! Lalime can't do anything in the playoffs) while in his playoff history he's been more consistent and stole more games for the Sens than Theo has for the Habs. Yet, Theo is almost seen like a demi-god, and a "playoff goaltender".

It's nice "standing on your head" in game 7, but if he had done it in one of the early games, Montreal would have still won the serie, and in less than 7 games (letting the hurt heal a bit...).

Because Habs fans are still searching for the next Roy, because he's francophone and because he's friend with the medias, Theo has been blown out of proportion as the "savior", the one we're nothing without, and I find that extremely disturbing.

Old
04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Capitano

Quote:
What I meant is that Lalime made the big saves in the playoffs in the past, and consistently. He had two bad games where he let in very bad goals at times he shouldn't have, but other than that he's been pretty spectacular. It's just that people like to belittle Lalime (as in "HAHA! Lalime can't do anything in the playoffs) while in his playoff history he's been more consistent and stole more games for the Sens than Theo has for the Habs. Yet, Theo is almost seen like a demi-god, and a "playoff goaltender".

It's nice "standing on your head" in game 7, but if he had done it in one of the early games, Montreal would have still won the serie, and in less than 7 games (letting the hurt heal a bit...).

Because Habs fans are still searching for the next Roy, because he's francophone and because he's friend with the medias, Theo has been blown out of proportion as the "savior", the one we're nothing without, and I find that extremely disturbing.
Like you said before, every goalie can steal a game or two, but it's the consistency we need. Lalime isn't a Stanley Cup goalie...and for me the jury is still out for Theo. Right now if you ask me, I say no, he's not good enough. I'm willing to give him some more time though to see if he'll turn out to be what people expect.

I'm not a Theo fan. I have never been a Theo fan, but I'll give him a chance to prove me wrong.

Next year is the year to prove it. This year to a lesser degree because the damage is done unfortunately.

Cap

Old
04-29-2004, 10:16 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I want Luongo and Luongo said that the panthers next year have to make some changes because he want to go to playoff for the first time , if panthers dont make the playoffs next year Loungo will be a free agent , BG can sign him and I dont think that Theo will stay in Montreal ,for a long time because he is dont making the important saves and if we dont sign Luongo. I go for Garon because he is a young talented goalie why dont give him a chance because he is huge and I like his butterfly styles and we have a very good prospect ( Danis ) and he played two games with Hamilton and win both !!

Closed Thread