HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recent Draft Past - Hickey - Teubert

Old
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM
jmjt9864

vCash: 500
Recent Draft Past - Hickey - Teubert

sitting here in Guelph, Ontario (at home sick of course) every station is on the trade deadline day ..

talk of where LA would be if they took Sagner or Voracek over Hickey ... OR the following year if they took Myers over Teubert

when you look at those pretty big draft blunder i would call them, what does everyone think of Lombardi's drafting .. you can even look at his pick of Trevor Lewis a few years back

jmjt9864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjt9864 View Post
sitting here in Guelph, Ontario (at home sick of course) every station is on the trade deadline day ..

talk of where LA would be if they took Sagner or Voracek over Hickey ... OR the following year if they took Myers over Teubert

when you look at those pretty big draft blunder i would call them, what does everyone think of Lombardi's drafting .. you can even look at his pick of Trevor Lewis a few years back
Well, with Teubert we needed a hard-nosed defenseman, not a highly skilled softie.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

How convenient to omit the names of Doughty, Bernier, Schenn, Simmonds, Moller, Kozun, etc.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:59 AM
raswilliam

Quote:

Way too early to call it a blunder. Both Hickey and Tuebert could still develop into excellent nhl players.

What about the 30 other GM's that passed over on selecting Simmonds..... twice....Blunder?

raswilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

lmao are you kidding? Lombardi's drafting skills are probably his highest trait, it's the best thing he does as a GM. Now if you want to talk about the skills he lacks as a GM, it's pulling the trigger on a deal, he's super hesitant, which is sometimes good, but sometimes you have to pull through in risky situations, sometimes they're rewarding, while standing pat could sometimes hurt you in the end. With that being said, I'd be super disappointed if he didn't make ONE deal

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:

I'll tell you where we'd be. We'd be absolutely stuck salary-wise. It wouldn't be possible to hand out raises to the guys we already have PLUS Voracek, Gagner, and Myers. And we'd forget about signing Kovalchuk in the off-season.

It's actually quite fortunate that Teubert, Hickey, and Bernier are taking a bit longer to develop than their counterparts selected in their respective draft classes. At the end of the day, all teams must work within the Salary Cap. The trick is to stagger the respective contracts of your promising prospects.

Long story short, Lombardi & the Kings are currently in Cap Heaven, but might be in Cap Hell if DL had selected Voracek, Myers, et. al.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
SFKingshomer

Wayne Simmonds>Jakub Voracek and Sam Gagner

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
jmjt9864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I'll tell you where we'd be. We'd be absolutely stuck salary-wise. It wouldn't be possible to hand out raises to the guys we already have PLUS Voracek, Gagner, and Myers. And we'd forget about signing Kovalchuk in the off-season.

It's actually quite fortunate that Teubert, Hickey, and Bernier are taking a bit longer to develop than their counterparts selected in their respective draft classes. At the end of the day, all teams must work within the Salary Cap. The trick is to stagger the respective contracts of your promising prospects.

Long story short, Lombardi & the Kings are currently in Cap Heaven, but might be in Cap Hell if DL had selected Voracek, Myers, et. al.

so you would rather say we have cap space then have Myers on defense and Gagner centering the second line? you have cap space to build a team ...

if we had that kind of talent then kovalchuk would not be necessary ..

the point is .. and what was being discussed is .. imagine where the kings would be if even on of those drafts went different

jmjt9864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
so you would rather say we have cap space then have Myers on defense and Gagner centering the second line? you have cap space to build a team ...

the point is .. and what was being discussed is .. imagine where the kings would be if even on of those drafts went different
what if the Portland Trail Blazers drafted Michael Jordan instead of Sam Bowie? So many what if's, personally I'm very pleased with the way Dean Lombardi has been drafting, only pick he arguably fugged up in was the Teubert-Meyers one, other than that, I've been very happy. Simmonds and Moller were steals, Loktionov in the 5th round (i think) was a steal, his scouts are very, very good and I just can't say enough about the way he's rebuilding the Kings

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:29 AM
SFKingshomer

Quote:

We might also not have Doughty because Gagner or Voracek may have made us better...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I've noticed a pattern with Canadian media and fickle fans: when things are going well, they will always find something to complain about.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
We might also not have Doughty because Gagner or Voracek may have made us better...
This.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
deano

Quote:

By making the original statement that you did, you're assuming that just because the other players mentioned are currently in the NHL, that somehow Hickey and Teubert are somehow bad picks? I fail to see the logic there. If you've been a fan of hockey for a long time, you would know that there is no specific time table for a prospects development. Not every great player busts into the league as an 18 or 19 year old.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:53 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:

It's pointless to start a thread like this. Next time, think of something more productive or challenging to talk about.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:

if you really want to discuss drafts going differently why don't we discuss 2003 when the Kings had 3 picks in the 1st round?

Dustin Brown
Brian Boyle
Jeff Tambellini

The Kings could have had:

Zach Parise
Corey Perry
Shea Weber

Imagine that...

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:

Coulda woulda shoulda. Imagine where the Kings would be if they passed on Kopitar, Doughty, and Simmonds. Every team in the NHL can look at past drafts and wonder what if.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
if you really want to discuss drafts going differently why don't we discuss 2003 when the Kings had 3 picks in the 1st round?

Dustin Brown
Brian Boyle
Jeff Tambellini

Zach Parise
Corey Perry
Shea Weber

Imagine that...
Thanks for undoing all the mental repression I've conciously put myself through.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post

Zach Parise
Corey Perry
Shea Weber

Imagine that...
Don't forget Bergeron in lieu of Pushkarev..

But - yeah - we can look back and lament missed opportunities all day long. But so can 29 other teams.

At the end of the day, looking at our current roster and overall organizational depth, I honestly wouldn't trade places with anybody in the league.

And people are writing these guys off way too early. Hickey is still an awesome prospect and I expect him to be a great two-way dman. He really complements our defensive core moving forward. And Tuebert is a bad ass with definite top-4, shut down potential.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post

But - yeah - we can look back and lament missed opportunities all day long. But so can 29 other teams.

At the end of the day, looking at our current roster and overall organizational depth, I honestly wouldn't trade places with anybody in the league.

And people are writing these guys off way too early. Hickey is still an awesome prospect and I expect him to be a great two-way dman. He really complements our defensive core moving forward. And Tuebert is a bad ass with definite top-4, shut down potential.

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post

Agreed. Looking back on those mistakes has helped the Kings in the long run.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

I'm sorry, I must have the missed the memo that said that Hickey is a bust.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
greengiant91

With the 40 plus years of crappy drafting prior to DL, I am very happy with what he has done, now every year we can have a call up or two come up and contribute a little, not hoping that every prospect that gets called up will be lights out rookie of the year because in past we didn't have quality prospects, now we do so we don't have to say We should have or could have had this guy or that guy

greengiant91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
hangons

Quote:

Can you imagine where we would be if we didn't trade the Bruins our first round pick in 1977 for Ron Grahame? How good would Ray Bourque have looked in a Kings uniform??

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:09 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangons View Post
Can you imagine where we would be if we didn't trade the Bruins our first round pick in 1977 for Ron Grahame? How good would Ray Bourque have looked in a Kings uniform??
We're basically finding that out right now with Doughty

As for complaining about drafting, everybody will make mistakes. I'm happy we don't have Myers, it'd just be too crowded with Doughty and JJ. Hopefully Teubert and Hickey turn into great top 4 D and can round those two out. Myers would just be hard to fit in.

Now Keith. I'd love to have Keith. Him and Doughty were killer in the Olympics.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote