HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Andrew Alberts to Vancouver for a 3rd Round pick

Old
03-03-2010, 04:02 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

vCash: 500
Common, we can bring Brett Bellemore and he will play on same level.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
This is hilarious. *Hurts* the Hurricanes?

They'll be able to sign 3 more just like him for less money in the offseason.
In the long run it doesn't hurt us, no. But it also is unlikely to help us. And for the rest of this year, it hurts us.

It was just a completely unnecessary move IMO.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
In the long run it doesn't hurt us, no. But it also is unlikely to help us. And for the rest of this year, it hurts us.

Exactly...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post

Is that really a bad thing?

Anyway:

Picard = bottom-pairing defenseman
Carson = bottom-pairing defenseman
Alberts = bottom-pairing defenseman

We don't need a third bottom-pairing defenseman at $1.3M for next season when we have two huge holes in the Top 4.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:35 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Exactly. We don't have much chance of making the playoffs, despite recent games. We're selling off and building through the draft for the future. A 3rd is a pretty decent return for a guy who might be valuable in a playoff run, something we're not having this year.

The chance for thinking about helping or hurting us this year is over. All we can do is think long term.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Well, one thing to keep in mind.....JR may be stocking draft picks in case there is a RFA offer he is tempted by over the summer. He could also be looking to take advantage of the Blackhawks salary cap problems they may still have come summer time.

Also, we dont want to win any more this year. Honestly....there is no point in finishing 10th in the east. That sets your franchise back more than finishing last.

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Meh.....I still kind of like to see the Hurricanes win this year, even though we aren't going anywhere. I'm not about to put my tanking glasses back on.

I think I actually see the logic in this move now though. With the way Alberts contract was crafted - .8 mil this year and 1.3 mil next year - I get the feeling JR planned on trading him after this year all along.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:01 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Exactly. We don't have much chance of making the playoffs, despite recent games. We're selling off and building through the draft for the future. A 3rd is a pretty decent return for a guy who might be valuable in a playoff run, something we're not having this year.

The chance for thinking about helping or hurting us this year is over. All we can do is think long term.
Tanking is NEVER good except on paper, and overbetting in the draft lottery "think long term" paper-team game can turn a real-world team into perennial losers. Carolina can't afford to be perennial losers and maintain it's viability. Raleigh isn't Toronto.

What are the odds of a 3rd rounder panning-out as a bona fide NHLer like Alberts? And how many years down the road? Alberts has done well here, can hit, and can clear the crease, something that's not unimportant given our goaltending situation in the here and now.

Now he has to be replaced something similar. Not to say he can't be in the off season, but the whole thing seems unnecessary given that the team isn't struggling for the first time this season.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 03-05-2010 at 02:36 AM.
NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:15 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Also, we dont want to win any more this year. Honestly....there is no point in finishing 10th in the east. That sets your franchise back more than finishing last.
Try filling arena seats with a tanking team finishing last vs. filling them with a hot team playing like they're in the hunt for an 8th seed. And ending the season on a high, even if you miss, is always better for attendance in the fall.

Being comfortable with writing off last last quarter of a season is crazy, especially in a non-traditional market like Raleigh. Caniac Nation notwithstanding, a losing team means empty seats, empty seats mean losing $$$, and losing enough money in enough seasons can mean End of Story.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 03-05-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old
03-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Soth

Quote:
Exactly. We don't have much chance of making the playoffs, despite recent games.
You're only 10 points behind the sixth place Eastern team - don't count yourselves out just yet. Impressive streak you guys have going, and if your guys can keep it up you def have a shot.

Looks like you guys should be fine without AA. Fills a hole for us Canucks - I'm interested to see how he plays.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:50 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
You're only 10 points behind the sixth place Eastern team - don't count yourselves out just yet. Impressive streak you guys have going, and if your guys can keep it up you def have a shot.

Looks like you guys should be fine without AA. Fills a hole for us Canucks - I'm interested to see how he plays.
It's not the number of points, it's the number of teams that have to continue their overall mediocre play so we can pass them. I will be amazed if we pull it off, and my head will break through my desk if (or rather when) we finish 9th.

And you'll find Alberts is a great player for that "filling holes" type of role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
Try filling arena seats with a tanking team finishing last vs. filling them with a hot team playing like they're in the hunt for an 8th seed. And ending the season on a high, even if you miss, is always better for attendance in the fall.

Especially in a non-traditional market like Raleigh, empty seats set your franchise back more than anything else. End of story.
Tell that to Pittsburgh. They seem to be doing alright after building a team through the draft after years of sucking and horrible crowds.

The Canes have 32 years left on their lease at the RBC center, and are just now seeing the formation of a young fanbase with kids that grew up with the Canes.

Is winning good? Yes. But if you're not winning, getting a player that will take you right back to winning again as fast as possible is better then sticking in the middle of the pack and winning just enough games to contend every year, but always falling short. Ask us Canes fans if we would trade the roller coaster that is this franchise with the history of the Florida Panthers. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Better to boom and bust magnificently then to sit on the bubble for 20 years without a chance to ever go all the way.

I like winning as much as the next guy, but tanking (or just really sucking), has saved franchises before, and could do a lot of good for a franchise that's not as unstable as you seem to think it is. You're right, it's not Toronto, but it's not Phoenix either.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:57 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Tell that to Pittsburgh. They seem to be doing alright after building a team through the draft after years of sucking and horrible crowds.

The Canes have 32 years left on their lease at the RBC center, and are just now seeing the formation of a young fanbase with kids that grew up with the Canes.

Is winning good? Yes. But if you're not winning, getting a player that will take you right back to winning again as fast as possible is better then sticking in the middle of the pack and winning just enough games to contend every year, but always falling short. Ask us Canes fans if we would trade the roller coaster that is this franchise with the history of the Florida Panthers. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Better to boom and bust magnificently then to sit on the bubble for 20 years without a chance to ever go all the way.

I like winning as much as the next guy, but tanking (or just really sucking), has saved franchises before, and could do a lot of good for a franchise that's not as unstable as you seem to think it is. You're right, it's not Toronto, but it's not Phoenix either.
My god, I hope you're not comparing Pittsburg to Raleigh, or what it took to keep the Pens there, or the Lemeuix factor, or lottery-drawing to the Malkin/Crosby inside straight.

Because I can give you 20 stories teams that "built through the draft" and went straight back to that bubble you're talking about, and no further, all the while dreaming of that mythical player that will take them from worst to first in a couple years. There's plenty, however, that have gone from the bubble to first, and never fed at the bottom any appreciable time before that.

Btw, I AM one of those Canes fans since they've moved to Carolina, and one who's been fortunate enough to attend as many games as possible and buys the most expensive seats I can afford. Not only for myself and fam, but have made it a point now for years to introduce friends, aquaintances (and their kids) who are locals to the game by hosting them as well. Not one of them has gone away not loving it, and it's money well spent and my bit to try and help expand the fanbase. For a new, potential fan, it's a lot more difficult to develop love for the sport if the home team is the league's doormat.

Young fanbases are good. I'm from Minnesota where the High School hockey tourny sells out the arena for nights in a row, but "kids liking the game" no guarantee in itself because kids don't buy tickets. You're right, Raleigh isn't Phoenix, but check my username and try and tell me the Canes are a lock for longevity. Go ahead, tell me.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 03-05-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old
03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
A lot, and I mean an absolute ton, of this franchises viability here in Raleigh depends on what happens with the next arena deal. Right now we have one of the better ones in the league, and had arguably the best where the team wasn't the owner when the ESA opened up a decade ago. If the team can stay competitive on the ice and Karmanos doesn't go off the deep end 20 years from now in terms of his demands for modernization of the arena and/or modification of the lease we're good heading into the next arena deal. That's the one where things could get tricky, especially if the Canes want a downtown arena after the cities failure to follow through on developing the area around the RBC Center/Fairgrounds/Carter-Finley complex. Raleigh could always tell him to go shove it and we're looking at Hartford all over again... just hopefully without the state leadership trying to lure the New England Patriots instead of trying to keep what they already have.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
check my username and try and tell me the Canes are a lock for longevity.
I really don't know the North Stars story. They made the Cup Final in '91...but attendance was lagging because perennially they weren't a good team?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
A lot, and I mean an absolute ton, of this franchises viability here in Raleigh depends on what happens with the next arena deal. Right now we have one of the better ones in the league, and had arguably the best where the team wasn't the owner when the ESA opened up a decade ago. If the team can stay competitive on the ice and Karmanos doesn't go off the deep end 20 years from now in terms of his demands for modernization of the arena and/or modification of the lease we're good heading into the next arena deal. That's the one where things could get tricky, especially if the Canes want a downtown arena after the cities failure to follow through on developing the area around the RBC Center/Fairgrounds/Carter-Finley complex. Raleigh could always tell him to go shove it and we're looking at Hartford all over again... just hopefully without the state leadership trying to lure the New England Patriots instead of trying to keep what they already have.
From reading about the occasional discussion, and the fact the discussion has already started, it appears Raleigh is on board with the concept of a downtown arena to further develop downtown. I think they realize how many big events could be attracted to downtown Raleigh with that arena in addition to the Canes games. But it's more likely the RBC continues renovations to keep both the Canes and NC State happy.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Yeah, the Raleigh leadership as it is today is chomping at the bit for a downtown arena. Who knows what it will be like when all of this starts getting seriously discussed of course, and I also have no idea what the Canes themselves want, but I assume it's downtown as well. There are so many things that could happen between now and the time for making that decision though that I'm not sure how much it's even worth thinking about right now. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when NC State finds a way to return to campus with an arena and the RBC Center sits vacant.

03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
I really don't know the North Stars story. They made the Cup Final in '91...but attendance was lagging because perennially they weren't a good team?
Their last 7 seasons were losing seasons, and attendance up until their '91 Cinderella run (they went 27-39-14 that year) was declining to the abysmal. In fact, there were less that 6,000 in attendance for the season opener. Those losing seasons and falling attendance were despite the addition of Modano as the first round pick of '88. When that run finally got fans interested again for the 91/92 season, it was too late, and the team still posted losers that year and their final one in 92/93.

During the late 80's (the early 80s saw consistent winning seasons and highest attendance), Minnesota hockey fans had plenty of other outlets besides going to watch a poorly-managed team lose year after year, and with poor attendance, management will find an excuse to pull up stakes and look for greener pastures.

Hockey is a business, and the business is sports entertainment. A losing team isn't entertaining, it's as simple as that.

Last edited by NorthStar4Canes: 03-05-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Yeah, the Raleigh leadership as it is today is chomping at the bit for a downtown arena. Who knows what it will be like when all of this starts getting seriously discussed of course, and I also have no idea what the Canes themselves want, but I assume it's downtown as well. There are so many things that could happen between now and the time for making that decision though that I'm not sure how much it's even worth thinking about right now. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes when NC State finds a way to return to campus with an arena and the RBC Center sits vacant.
Me too, but NC State as a sweet deal at the RBC... I look for NC State to build a 14K seat stadium on Campus in about a decade... Once Canes move and State moves, look for the RBC Center to put Gboro Coliseum out of business with concerts and the ACC tournaments... Just makes too much sense once State and the Canes leave

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote