HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade deadline is over and... Sather does nothing!

Old
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
ZacUSNYR

vCash: 500
Man there is so many bad contracts out there he could of gotten. I bet he forgot to set his alarm and slept in.

ZacUSNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
beastly115

Kind of pissed he did nothing. I was hoping at the very least a salary dump...

Also, I think it's a bad move not to sell. Only two, maybe 3 teams sold this deadline. Canes, Edm, and maybe Anaheim. We're a fringe playoff team, at best. Glen should have unloaded some of our garbage and re-tooled for next year.

The Fire Sather really just gained a lot more momentum.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Someone mentioned that Glen managed to piss off both the buying crowd and selling crowd - couldnt have said it better myself, now March 7th will have even more attendees.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
I dont care about mueller either. Wolski, the YOUNG PROVEN COMMODITY whos on pace for 65 points. Is what im talkin about. And if hes traded for a player whos got 4 goals in 50 games then why the hell couldnt the Rangers have beat that is what im saying.
Okay, but who (comparable to Mueller, who many perceive as a talent with potential) is going the other way for Wolski? There's nobody comparable on our roster. Dubinsky? Lisin - who was waived and no one wanted? Christensen? Sather couldn't have made that deal.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

This is a good thing.

Great that we didn't lose any draft picks for some rental. And look who was out there, one of the sorriest looking bunch of players on deadline day i've ever seen. Lots of role players we don't need.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Okay, but who (comparable to Mueller, who many perceive as a talent with potential) is going the other way for Wolski? There's nobody comparable on our roster. Dubinsky? Lisin - who was waived and no one wanted? Christensen? Sather couldn't have made that deal.
Sanguenetti has talent with potential. And yeah Im sure Dubinsky/anisimov could have easily gotten him.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
AXN

I do not know how Jokinen does not work out on a line with Gaborik and Prospal. If it does not work out this year then maybe Drury, Redden and Rozsival will be moved.
They did win three in a row. Maybe they will stay hot.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Richter35

seems that glen took most of our advice and didnt give up picks prospects for rentals, seems like the prices were too high....but at the same time didnt do much to dump dead weight. I don't mind it, it could have been worse, expect girardi to go and souray for rozy at the draft, i'm almost sure glen will be really active then

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Disappointed they didn't move Prospal for a pick, but, if they couldn't get a #1 for him, what can you do?
Get a 2nd instead. They were flying off the shelf like hotcakes. Maybe you land 2 2nd rounders and turn them into a first.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
I dont care about mueller either. Wolski, the YOUNG PROVEN COMMODITY whos on pace for 65 points. Is what im talkin about. And if hes traded for a player whos got 4 goals in 50 games then why the hell couldnt the Rangers have beat that is what im saying.
So who would you liked to give up for him? Avs got a 21 year old top prospect who scored 22 goals as a 18 year old who is still loaded with potential and they also got a former Hobey Baker prospect who will be a good all around player in the NHL that can put up numbers.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Should have moved Prospal, Jokinen and Girardi. **** you, Sather.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zuccarello Awesome*

I'm not a member of the "FIRE SATHER!" cryfest group, but I have to say I'm extremely envious of Brian Burke. He is one of the smartest and most straightforward and honest GM's I've ever seen. So well spoken. Doesn't answer stupid questions. Has integrity. KNOWS how he wants to build a team and shows confidence in his players when he should and speaks the honest truth. KNOWS when to give a NTC and when not to, and how to handle tough situations.

I think Sather, overall, has done a mediocre job. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but certainly not great. It could be a lot worse: Don Wadell, Garth Snow, Steve Tambellini come to mind...

but Brian Burke is the Gretzky of GM's.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is a good thing.

Great that we didn't lose any draft picks for some rental. And look who was out there, one of the sorriest looking bunch of players on deadline day i've ever seen. Lots of role players we don't need.
Agreed, which would've raised the value of some of the Rangers players he didnt move, especially in the last half hour.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Nubbin

But why would you want to get rid of Prospal? That doesn't make any sense. He plays well for us and has a one year deal. Not quite sure why you'd want this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
He COULDN'T do anything (save Prospal).

Nobody wanted our crappy (to put it lightly) contracts/players... no-one wants to rehab our failed experiments... no-one thinks a change of scenery would benefit ANY of our garbage.

Sather COULD have sent Prospal somewhere... that I'm sure of.

That's the only indicment you could make of him regarding today.

(Feel free to bash him for constructing the myriad of issues also mentioned... but today you could only fault him for not taking advantage of an opportunity in Prospal)

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is a good thing.

seriously... Besides Wolski (who I would have loved to get), there wasn't much else out there. very slim pickings.

Kinda sad we couldn't dump girardi for a 2nd or first though.

This was definately one of the most boring trade deadlines I could remember.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Sanguenetti has talent with potential. And yeah Im sure Dubinsky/anisimov could have easily gotten him.
There's no way I trade Dubinsky for Wolski. Anisimov, maybe, but he's too young and has a lot of filling out to do. I think he'll be a very good player. People forget he's a rookie. Either way, this is dealing from a position (Center) that's probably our weakest for another winger.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Then why are we in a worse position than before?

If Sather does not give me a speech explaining what the **** he was thinking today I'm going to be at that rally with an automatic rifle.

How are we worse? We've won 4 of 5 -- two with gabby out.

It's not 1994 or 2004. Last year he HAD to make trades to compliment Torts' style. I mean, what could he has possibly done today with Dolan holding one hand behind his back?

You think rival NHL GM's dont know what kind of season Del Zotto, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky etc are having?

Nobody is breaking down Slats' door asking for Voros or Girardi. Thank God for once Sather showed restraint and kept quiet.

Now that the deadline is over, we can all agree upon ending the "tank" talk and focus on getting into the playoffs.

Remember, we can still make the playoffs as an 8 seed and draft 15th overall, which is the highest we ever picked in the 1st round after making the playoffs since Kovalev in 1991 (I think)

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I'm not a member of the "FIRE SATHER!" cryfest group, but I have to say I'm extremely envious of Brian Burke. He is one of the smartest and most straightforward and honest GM's I've ever seen. So well spoken. Doesn't answer stupid questions. Has integrity. KNOWS how he wants to build a team and shows confidence in his players when he should and speaks the honest truth. KNOWS when to give a NTC and when not to, and how to handle tough situations.

I think Sather, overall, has done a mediocre job. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but certainly not great. It could be a lot worse: Don Wadell, Garth Snow, Steve Tambellini come to mind...

but Brian Burke is the Gretzky of GM's.
And he actually SPEAKS to the press.

Good quality.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

you can just dump girardi with nobody really there to take his spot this season. not with the rangers tied for a playoff spot. they needed to be buyers today, the prices werent what they were comfortable with so they stood pat.

it's what I would have done as well.

we made our big move, he's centering our 2nd line.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Garfinkel1

Be happy your not a flames fan right now

Also, keep in mind Sather tools consist of the players you the fans call "How is torts supposed to win with no talent"|"Our entire roster is 3rd line players" ... And so on.

You are ignorant if you think Sather didn't try. Every deadline he has gone out and made big moves for Rentals (What you get at the deadline) and every year people yell that he should have sat back and done nothing. Well, We have 3 lines that all seem to have some decent chemistry. Our D should have/could have been improved but w/e...Probably not at the right cost.

Too many teams have a chance at the playoffs this year. Not enough sellers.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
GarretJoseph*

uh Jokinen and Prust were our deadline pick ups. Christ, what the hell do you guys expect.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Nubbin

Listen, i hate sather as much as you guys do. But, where I am at a loss is everyone makes it sound like dumping dead weight is easy. The reason it's not easy is because your answered yourself by calling them dead weight. Why would a team want our dead weight for draft picks? I mean, come on guys, it's common sense. It is very easy to say, "Why didn't he dump Redden's contract?" For whom! Who wants that contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
seems that glen took most of our advice and didnt give up picks prospects for rentals, seems like the prices were too high....but at the same time didnt do much to dump dead weight. I don't mind it, it could have been worse, expect girardi to go and souray for rozy at the draft, i'm almost sure glen will be really active then

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

I think he did a good job of doing nothing, to be honest this was a very dry trade deadline with not much happening. I think the Olympics had a lot to do with it, with certain star players performances (or lack there of) dissuaded a lot of GM's from pulling the trigger.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

uh, trades usually trickle in as late as 6 hours past the deadline. teams only need to submit paperwork by 3pm. then they have to be approved by the NHL office before made official. settle down.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
uh, trades usually trickle in as late as 6 hours past the deadline. teams only need to submit paperwork by 3pm. then they have to be approved by the NHL office before made official. settle down.
Brooks already reported the Rangers made no trades.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote