HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade deadline is over and... Sather does nothing!

Old
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
uh, trades usually trickle in as late as 6 hours past the deadline. teams only need to submit paperwork by 3pm. then they have to be approved by the NHL office before made official. settle down.
almost every ranger reporter says no NHL deals for the Rangers.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
When I hear corsi 👇

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Guys come one can't you see the big news of the day? Nobody claimed our Russian Gretzky! He's still with us remarkably so don't worry it's in the bag!

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
seriously... Besides Wolski (who I would have loved to get), there wasn't much else out there. very slim pickings.

Kinda sad we couldn't dump girardi for a 2nd or first though.

This was definately one of the most boring trade deadlines I could remember.
Yeah Wolski is a guy I like too, not sure what it wouldve taken to land him though.

Boring deadline. Anyone think the state of the world economy has nothing to do with it?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
uh, trades usually trickle in as late as 6 hours past the deadline. teams only need to submit paperwork by 3pm. then they have to be approved by the NHL office before made official. settle down.
I can't believe I didn't know this. I always thought 30min-60min after the deadline everything was set in place.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

In a perfect world the organization would have dealt some expiring contract for a couple of 2nd round picks. But the fact that we didn't do anything stupid to make a run for it is not such a terrible consolation prize. It can always be worse in Rangerland.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueblood 2

Sather did well. Prospal is an assistant captain who wants to stay. He also tried to give Redden away all over the league and now is in a better position to jettison him to Hartford or Europe, whatever Redden chooses. He had previously dumped Gomez, Higgins and Kotalik. How much more magic can anyone expect? Our chips are still in the bank.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
uh Jokinen and Prust were our deadline pick ups. Christ, what the hell do you guys expect.
Exactly. But what I've learned over the years is the reason why we are in this predicament to begin with. Most Ranger fans like moves for moves sake. Blockbuster trades so they can talk about it for a day or two. Doesn't matter how these guys perform because we'll make them the scapegoats the following season anyway. Year in and year out, 95% of the Ranger fans sit around and wait for the trade deadline and hope the Rangers trade like nuts just for trading sake. As much as I hate Sather, if you couldn't get rid of Redden's, Drury's and Roszival's contract and you didn't want to strip the team, ONCE AGAIN, of our youth, then bravo Sather. I applaud you for the first time in my existence outside of the Jagr move.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Fletch

was thinking the same thing, Bluenote. New Jersey got their big deal done earlier - which is the way to do it in order to better integrate a new player. After those Olympics, everything seems boring now...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I can't believe I didn't know this. I always thought 30min-60min after the deadline everything was set in place.
Rangers already acknowledged that they did not make any NHL moves today and they shut the trade office down.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:20 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
What was worst thing sather could have done today? nothing of course.

And thats exactly what hes done. Not like Newbury will make any earth shattering addition to the team.

Were not good enough as currently constructed to even make the playoffs, but werent that far off, were also not that far off from being a bottom feeder...

What do you guys think about this? Personally im flippin' pissed.

Hahahaha, how are you pissed? This is the typical fan reaction.

The worst he could have done was to do nothing? Are you kidding? He could've traded away youth and picks for ******** players.

My God.

I'm happy we did nothing. I'm glad we didn't add any players at the expense of a 2nd round pick or something.

But no. Be pissed.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Sanguenetti has talent with potential. And yeah Im sure Dubinsky/anisimov could have easily gotten him.
You'd trade Sangs for Wolski?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
was thinking the same thing, Bluenote. New Jersey got their big deal done earlier - which is the way to do it in order to better integrate a new player. After those Olympics, everything seems boring now...
Once again, Lou showing how its done.

I think part of that was also Atlantas side. I think they wanted to unload Kovy before any injury could occur in the Olympics or otherwise, while still retaining his services long enough to give them a shot at the playoffs.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I'm not a member of the "FIRE SATHER!" cryfest group, but I have to say I'm extremely envious of Brian Burke. He is one of the smartest and most straightforward and honest GM's I've ever seen. So well spoken. Doesn't answer stupid questions. Has integrity. KNOWS how he wants to build a team and shows confidence in his players when he should and speaks the honest truth. KNOWS when to give a NTC and when not to, and how to handle tough situations.

I think Sather, overall, has done a mediocre job. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but certainly not great. It could be a lot worse: Don Wadell, Garth Snow, Steve Tambellini come to mind...

but Brian Burke is the Gretzky of GM's.
Burke traded two lottery picks for Kessel. The Leafs aren't making the playoffs next season either.

You think Burke is the best GM in the sport

What teams has he built which have won anything? He inherited a team two years removed from the Cup finals who selected Getzlaf and Perry in the first round later that month.

His Vancouver teams did nothing. The Leafs aren't in better shape from the team he inherited.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Richter35

ps, now that lisin and voros cleared waivers, anyone thinks they actually get sent down? prob not lisin since gabby is out for at least tmrws game, but voros hasn't done anything

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
TheHotRock

the only thin that bothers me is vishnovsky. is roszival or even roszival and a 2nd or 3rd not a better return than ryan whitney? he's clearly on a better contract than whitney. vishnovsky's availability is obviously something sather would be aware of.

a pp with him and del zotto at the points and gabs up front combined with lundvist would be enough to steal some games.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
You'd trade Sangs for Wolski?
**** yes, but sangs alone wouldnt be enough. on pace for 65 points at 23 years old. Will only get better and be a 75-80 point player.

Zipays tweeting that the rangers have a 2nd minor deal coming but still. Were going to finish out of a play off spot, so why not sell. Were close enough to where if he bought, it would at least put us in the playoffs.

Standing pat is fine, and I don't like moves for the sake of making one however this was the wrong time to stand pat imo.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is a good thing.

Great that we didn't lose any draft picks for some rental. And look who was out there, one of the sorriest looking bunch of players on deadline day i've ever seen. Lots of role players we don't need.
I agree, it was a very poor year to be a buyer, but that begs the question: Why not be a seller?

Prospal, Jokinen, Girardi, are not stellar pieces, but certainly better than the majority of crap that was shuffled around today. If you're not going to make a marginal team better today, why not try and make it better for the future?

I just find it hard to believe that Sather thinks this team is in good shape as-is.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Burke traded two lottery picks for Kessel. The Leafs aren't making the playoffs next season either.

What teams has he built which have won anything? He inherited a team two years removed from the Cup finals who selected Getzlaf and Perry in the first round later that month.

His Vancouver teams did nothing. The Leafs aren't in better shape from the team he inherited.

Burke might be a great interview, but he doesnt hold a candle to Lou or Holland.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Garv23

I'm glad Sather did nothing too. You know there were attempts to move some players, but no one wanted 'em or their salaries without also giving away promising young guys or picks. Or Cally and Dubi for that matter.

No probs here.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Death By BB Gun
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hahahaha, how are you pissed? This is the typical fan reaction.

The worst he could have done was to do nothing? Are you kidding? He could've traded away youth and picks for ******** players.

My God.

I'm happy we did nothing. I'm glad we didn't add any players at the expense of a 2nd round pick or something.

But no. Be pissed.
He did do something, we got Kris Newbury? The Pack now has the natural center they needed.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
The Thomas J.*

today was kind of boring...i thought sather would go for a vet defensemen. Corvo or even morris would have been a nice fit.

Im not unhappy, just underwelmed.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I'm glad we didn't get Souray, who've I heard is probably out for the season.

Happy, too, we've kept the team in tact and riding the season out with what we got. Not giving up anything for just a rental who'll vanish at the end of the year.

Can't complain.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Burke got himself a cup already in the new NHL

His teams are tough and play an exciting style.

Love that he's a stand up guy that solidifies his team from the defense first...And Toronto's defense looks insane right now.

He always addresses the media about his moves.

Not so sure what's not to like about him?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yeah Im happy we didnt do something stupid like deal Dubinsky or Callahan. Wouldnt have minded adding a pick or two but this team dont sell.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Cherepanisimov

My opinion on the trade deadline

By not buying, it is almost impossible for us to catch up to the 5th place Sabres. Meaning we won't finish any higher than 6th place, in the absolute best scenario.

The 6th place Flyers have 4 points on us and two games in hand. I doubt we catch up to Philly. They are on fire right now. If we can't catch up to the Flyers, the highest we could place is 7th.

I like what the Bruins did today. I think they will soon surpass the Canadiens and take 7th place. We are tied in points, but Bahston has two games in hand, and we won't keep this streak up, letting The Bruins surpass us in the standings.

That leaves 8th ****ing place. The Canadiens, Rangers, Thrashers, Lightning, and possibly the Isles are still in the race for 8th place. With their current streak, even the ****ing Hurricanes have an (extremely) outside shot. Ironically, besides the 'Canes, I don't believe any of them made a big splash today. I think the Rangers are only in better shape for 8th place than the Islanders and 'Canes. Honestly, in my mind, it would take a miracle for this team to make the playoffs.

And that is because Sather didn't buy.

We won't finish below 12th place. The Leafs are done, no chance we come in last. The Hurricanes will probably come back to Earth soon, and finish in 14th place. And I think one of the Lightning, Islanders, and the Panthers will come in 13th. The Isles could pass us, but I doubt it. They will probably end up in 12th. Which means we won't finish below 11th.

Because Sather didn't sell.

Because Sather stayed quiet today, we will realistically look for a 9th-11th place finish, with an outside shot at slipping into the playoffs, and an outside shot at getting a top five pick.

I wanted Sather to sell today. This team needs a Seguin or Fowler. I will never advocate tanking, but drafting well is what is best for this organization. But if we aren't going to sell, why the hell do we stand pat? How about instead of another mediocre finish, we buy? How the hell could it hurt? There isn't a worse thing we could do today.

I seriously think that there is something else in those cigars.

/endrant

I don't expect anybody to read this, I just needed to vent. **** you Sather.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote