HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Harrow 300 Review

Old
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
jagged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Anybody have any problems with the blade sliding out a bit on your Harrow 300 2 piece?

I've been working hard practicing my slapshot, and firing anywhere between 150 and 250 a day for the past few days, and the one thing I've noticed is that at the end of each day's shooting session, the blade has managed to come out a little over a quarter of an inch from the shaft.

It's not loose, I can't even force it back in without heating it back up, but it is something I've noticed has happened the past 3 or so days. It's still a very snug fit, I doubt I could put any tape on the tendon and still get it back in.

I will say this was my very first 2 piece I assembled back when I got it, and the first time, I didn't heat the tendon and shaft up enough, and sort of forced it in there. Quite a bit of glue came out when I did that. Yet it still obviously has enough strength to keep me from forcing it back in without heating it up.
you're supposed to let the glue settle for a while before using... something like 24 hrs or so... if it still comes loos, try putting a piece of tape on the tenon before applying the glue and inserting the blade

jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Skraut

I heat the stick up and put the blade back in after I'm done shooting. So it has about 22-23 hours before I start using it again the next day.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
rinkrat22

I would think with 250 shots a day its gonna loosen up. also being rather new to the game and working on your shot so much I'm guessing that not every shot (your form) is correct. maybe coming in a little to steep and loading the stick improperly.

I do know that when you have a joint that seems to come loose the strip of tape over the tennon trick then some glue melted over the top does work to stop it from coming loose. (as mentioned earlier).

You seem to have a good work ethic going so just stay with it.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I heat the stick up and put the blade back in after I'm done shooting. So it has about 22-23 hours before I start using it again the next day.
Firstly do not keep using the same glue that came with the blade, every company's glue sucks anyway and they never put enough on it usually. The other thing they do is they put glue that is very easy to heat up which also sucks.

I use craft store silicon hot glue sticks that you can buy in any hardware store.

melt the end of it and wipe some on the tennon then heat that up really good with a heat gun, heat the shaft where it inserts as well.

Slide it in and make sure it is set all the way in and then let it cool while not leaning against anything. If the tennon is not tight leaning the stick against a wall with the blade on the floor puts uneven pressure while the glue is still hot and it will shift in the shaft ever so slightly.

I stand mine up on its butt end carefully against the wall as to not put pressure on the blade part.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you are shooting 250 shots .... thta loosens the blade on any stick. Every few games I reheat mine and reinsert them NOT using the same glue.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The glue shouldn't be holding the blade in the shaft. The shaft should expand while heating and contract when cooling and that should hold the blade in place. If it's coming loose, a strip of
tape on one or both sides if the tenon will do it. The glue is just there to seal everything up, unless it's a heavy duty epoxy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Skraut

Harrow just posted this to their facebook page.

Quote:
We're super stoked about our new partnership with the AAHL! Thanks to our fan who suggested a celebration was in order, start your weekend off right with 25% off all hockey equipment. Just enter the code AAHLSWEET at checkout. But act fast, this code is only good through midnight MST on Sunday.
It's no 50% off, but still a good deal.

Old
06-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Harrow just posted this to their facebook page.

It's no 50% off, but still a good deal.
Thanks for the update!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
qwas

Does anyone have a new discount code that works in Canada?

qwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FWIW my 300's all still look brand new.

Anyone interested in a 75 flex shaft? It's cut down and way too stiff for me, feels like an 85 flex cut down.

I'd like to order a 65 flex shaft and see how that goes.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Best deal in hockey is back

Enter HKYRINK for 50% off blades and shafts!

Ordered myself a 60 flex white glossy grip concave shaft with a #3 (Drury) blade!

Old
09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting and hoping it would come back.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:02 PM
dabeechman

Quote:

Ordered myself a 60 flex white glossy grip concave shaft with a #3 (Drury) blade!
Jarick. How tall are you?

When I ordered my 75 flex SR I had to cut 4 inches off of it (total of 51" shaft) which bumped it to a mid 90 flex. I want something softer, but a 60 flex INT is already 50" long which means I would be playing with it at its rated 60 flex so I think it is going to be too soft for me.

FWIW I am 5'10 160.

Last edited by dabeechman: 09-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.
dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:26 PM
rinkrat22

he's almost a midget... sorry "little person"

Old
09-03-2010, 08:51 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
he's almost a midget... sorry "little person"
I just don't understand. The average US male height is 5'9, yet they don't have a stick that can accommodate an average height/strength man.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:01 PM
SouthpawTRK

So I was wondering if the Harrow shafts are pretty true to their flex? I'm using sticks in a 75-77 flex (Easton and NBH) cut down a couple of inches and wouldn't mind trying a two piece so I can try out different curves. I'm wondering also how legit is the discount code is? Is it a code that was sent to facebook/twitter followers of Harrow? Thanks in advance for all the help?

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
So I was wondering if the Harrow shafts are pretty true to their flex? I'm using sticks in a 75-77 flex (Easton and NBH) cut down a couple of inches and wouldn't mind trying a two piece so I can try out different curves. I'm wondering also how legit is the discount code is? Is it a code that was sent to facebook/twitter followers of Harrow? Thanks in advance for all the help?
My 92 flex is considerably softer than my 100 flex Easton.

Old
09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:

how are those Drury's? going to be switching back to your mid curves anytime soon?

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 12:14 AM
motalar

Thanks for the update. I'm going to pick up a 300 OPS w/#4 curve

motalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:08 AM
ean

ugh tax and shipping is killlling this awesome deal for me.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 02:28 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
ugh tax and shipping is killlling this awesome deal for me.
It is kind of a wash. Ya, their shipping is a little out of hand, but HM is about the same by the time they charge their "handling" fee. I know what you mean though.

Old
09-04-2010, 04:04 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I just don't understand. The average US male height is 5'9, yet they don't have a stick that can accommodate an average height/strength man.
I think their sticks are a little on the stiff side. I would error on the side of buy something that is whippier (sp?) than you would normally use because you will have to cut them down. I'm 6'1" 210 and I still cut 4-5 inches of a harrow shaft. I normally like my stick to be at the base of my throat on skates, though.

Old
09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
I think their sticks are a little on the stiff side. I would error on the side of buy something that is whippier (sp?) than you would normally use because you will have to cut them down. I'm 6'1" 210 and I still cut 4-5 inches of a harrow shaft. I normally like my stick to be at the base of my throat on skates, though.
I cut 4 inches off my SR Harrow. But an INT Harrow is 5 inches shorter from the factory than a SR.

Old
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 5'8 170 now (dropped 10 pounds getting ready for hockey...hope to be playing at a lean 155-160).

I chopped 5-6" off the 75 flex and yeah it's pretty stiff. It's not unusable, it just hurts after a bit to use. Yesterday I went to stick and puck for a couple hours with a friend to work on shooting and one timers and my wrists were a little sore. But it's got a lot of kick to it, lots of velocity. I don't load it much but it still has power for what I can load.

The 75 flex is probably fine for your average height/weight guy. Most average height/weight players use 85 flex, and these are a little longer and become stiffer when cut down. A teammate is 6' and maybe 155 pounds and uses the 85 flex just fine.

The Drury is AWESOME. Just amazing. I have absolutely no complaints, best curve ever. I was picking corners on snappers, making contact with one timers better than ever, and all my slappers from the point were just a few inches off the ground. Still amazed at how quickly the transition was for me.

The key with that curve is that it's a flat blade but it's angled and wedged so that you are always carrying the puck in a loaded position. When you cup the puck the face becomes flat and as you load the stick and snap your wrists open then closed, the blade becomes parallel to the target. So it's essentially very similar to a perfectly flat blade but allowing you to use much more stick whip.

And because it's so flat, it's very forgiving in terms of accuracy. With a curved blade, you must release it in a specific point, otherwise it could go left or right, and if you add a loft component (like a Sakic), it could go high or low. With the Drury, it's flat, so you know exactly where it goes left and right, up and down. Just exaggerate the follow through and keep the wrists closed to shoot low, or let the follow through naturally carry the puck high.

Old
09-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Skraut

I'm still learning, and enjoying my 92 flex Harrow 300, I have a few other sticks with higher flex numbers that I've been experimenting with and was thinking of picking something up with more whip, more to learn the mechanics of how to handle it.

I'm 6'4 265 would I simply snap a 75 flex stick if I tried to use it?

Old
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I highly doubt it.