HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With no moves made, what would you rather have?

Old
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
AFAIK, the Rangers have gotten younger pretty much every year for the past several years since the lockout, they have also maintained a fairly high ranking in terms of prospects (though most of our best ones right now are still a few years away), and have made the playoffs every year during that time. They also will likely go after Ilya Kovalchuk this offseason with everything they can, and if they get him, will have 3 superstars to build around, and some very damn good young talent to put around them...and with contracts like Drury and Rozsival expiring in 2 years, they will also have the funds to retain their own players.

Things are heading in the right direction, granted a lot of it depends on
1)Signing Kovalchuk
and
2)Getting rid of Wade Redden.
Any team that has to rely on outbidding multiple teams plus half of Russia for one player and finagling a way to get rid of another is not headed in the right direction.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion89 View Post
Everyone here (for the most part) must be smokin some good stuff to think that Prospal and Jokinen could net 1st round picks. Jokinen was going NOWHERE with that 5 million salary and Prospal would not net a 1st rounder if Ray Whitney wasn't going to get one either. To me, trading for a contenders 2nd round pick is worthless, if you get anybody who can play in the NHl and not be a AHL lifer that would be an accomplishment.

Furthermore, we are still in the hunt for a playoff spot and all we need is for certain players to get Hot and we can make a good run. If the Carolina Hurricanes could do it last year, so can we so why sell off young assests to draft 3 5 places higher for what will probably be a dud.
So if draft picks are as worthless as you say, then clearly we should have shipped all of ours off to make the team better, right?

Old
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Any team that has to rely on outbidding multiple teams plus half of Russia for one player and finagling a way to get rid of another is not headed in the right direction.
oh please, what a generalization, even if we dont get kovalchuk, we still are a damn young team, with some solid assets both on the team and in the farm. Youth takes time to develop, we've already started to see some of that come to fruition with the great play of Staal, Callahan, and from time to time Dubinsky...Anisimov shows flashes, as does MDZ. With Grachev, Stepan, Kreider, Werek, Sanguinetti, MCD etc all on the horizon, I'm very happy with the way things are moving. Could it be better? Of course. But it could also be a helluva lot worse. Believe me, I live in Atlanta.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
I'm glad they stayed put. it's a very young roster that could use the experience of a playoff push, and hopefully a playoff round.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Well, the Devils won 3 Stanley Cups in the time since we won our only Stanley Cup in the last 70 years.
Okay, I think I was pretty clear about being post-lockout/salary cap in my description. What happened before that, when the Rangers could spend as much as they wanted every year for 75+ years didn't do them much good, either.

Quote:
How does any of this change the fact that the Rangers are not heading in the right direction? In fact, it helps my point.
I disagree. I think they finally ARE headed in the right direction by not mortgaging the future and jettisoning young stars for a one year run.

Quote:
You're right, we don't have a shot this year. Or next year. I believe we don't have a shot anytime soon, and while you may not know, I don't have many doubts about it. That's why it's silly to hold on to players that hold no meaning for our future just so we can MAYBE make the playoffs.

We could have gotten numerous second round picks, at least. Do you really need me to provide you with a list of NHLers that were drafted in the second round that would immediately change our franchise if they joined our team?
I could provide you with 5x as many 2nd rounders than have never played an NHL game. Do you really want me to do that?

Quote:
Hey, why take a chance to draft a Mike Cammalleri, a Shea Weber, a Duncan Keith, Patrice Bergeron, David Backes, etc etc when instead we can hold onto 35 year old Vinny Prospal and his Hulk Hogan tan and get thoroughly spanked by the Penguins or the Caps. Yeah!

**** a shot at a Derek Roy or Loui Erikkson when we can watch Olli Jokinen grow the very beginnings of a frightening mustache until he goes back to Finland about a week or two after the playoffs start.
Because the player could be _________ who never played an NHL game and turned out to be a career AHL'er.

Last edited by haohmaru: 03-03-2010 at 05:12 PM.
haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
levski87

I say we trade some assets to move up during the draft.

There was no one of value today that would have helped this team now or in the future.

The best trade Sather did was getting rid of Kotalik and Higgins.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I say we trade some assets to move up during the draft.

There was no one of value today that would have helped this team now or in the future.

The best trade Sather did was getting rid of Kotalik and Higgins.
this draft seems to be a very tiered draft, if were in 1 tier and only a few slots to get to the one above it, then we should, otherwise trading down or staying put is probably the way to go.

we arent getting into the top 5 which is where the real difference makers lie barring a complete and total collapse.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
oh please, what a generalization, even if we dont get kovalchuk, we still are a damn young team, with some solid assets both on the team and in the farm. Youth takes time to develop, we've already started to see some of that come to fruition with the great play of Staal, Callahan, and from time to time Dubinsky...Anisimov shows flashes, as does MDZ. With Grachev, Stepan, Kreider, Werek, Sanguinetti, MCD etc all on the horizon, I'm very happy with the way things are moving. Could it be better? Of course. But it could also be a helluva lot worse. Believe me, I live in Atlanta.
Of course we could be worse off, but the goal isn't to not be the worst.

The prospects are wonderful, but that doesn't mean we're in the right direction. All the prospects in the world don't mean anything if Sather continues to handcuff the team with unproductive players with unmovable contracts.

If Sather shows an effort to clean himself of his past mistakes while also resisting to make any new impulse moves he'll come to regret then I'll believe the team is headed in the right direction. Until then, I have no reason to believe we are. The Kotalik and Brashear signings this offseason showed that he didn't learn from his moves in the past. He's lost the benefit of the doubt.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Of course we could be worse off, but the goal isn't to not be the worst.

The prospects are wonderful, but that doesn't mean we're in the right direction. All the prospects in the world don't mean anything if Sather continues to handcuff the team with unproductive players with unmovable contracts.

If Sather shows an effort to clean himself of his past mistakes while also resisting to make any new impulse moves he'll come to regret then I'll believe the team is headed in the right direction. Until then, I have no reason to believe we are. The Kotalik and Brashear signings this offseason showed that he didn't learn from his moves in the past. He's lost the benefit of the doubt.
but getting rid of kotalik and higgins, 2 unproductive players, while adding a productive player with an expiring contract certainly IS heading in the right direction.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:05 PM
levski87

Quote:
this draft seems to be a very tiered draft, if were in 1 tier and only a few slots to get to the one above it, then we should, otherwise trading down or staying put is probably the way to go.

we arent getting into the top 5 which is where the real difference makers lie barring a complete and total collapse.
You're saying theres no one in the top 10 that would help this team?

Thats BS and you know it.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
but getting rid of kotalik and higgins, 2 unproductive players, while adding a productive player with an expiring contract certainly IS heading in the right direction.
But only if he uses the cap space in productive ways. It's all for nothing if he hands out a 3 year 16 million dollar deal to Plekanec in the offseason.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
But only if he uses the cap space in productive ways. It's all for nothing if he hands out a 3 year 16 million dollar deal to Plekanec in the offseason.
Exactly, it's the same cycle over and over again.

Gomez, Ward, Cullen, Rissmiller, Voros (waived twice), Kotalik, Brashear.

He just keeps on signing players to these bad contracts and they never finish out their term.

I hate when people say that getting rid of Brashear and Kotalik means that Sather is heading in the right direction. Sather should have learned his lesson after he traded Gomez, but then he goes out and signs Brashear and Kotalik. This guy will NEVER learn.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Okay, I think I was pretty clear about being post-lockout/salary cap in my description. What happened before that, when the Rangers could spend as much as they wanted every year for 75+ years didn't do them much good, either.
Am I advocating that? No. I'm advocating NOT signing people, not buying. I'm advocating patience and rebuilding.

Quote:
I disagree. I think they finally ARE headed in the right direction by not mortgaging the future and jettisoning young stars for a one year run.
That's not heading in the right direction, that's just not making things much, much worse. If that's the kind of performance you're looking for from this team, than you standards have been met. I actually want to see a great hockey team that can compete for a Stanley Cup, not a team that expects gratitude for not being completely terrible.

Quote:
I could provide you with 5x as many 2nd rounders than have never played an NHL game. Do you really want me to do that?
Go right ahead, because I firmly believe that the chances of drafting one of those great second round players are better than the chances of the Rangers winning a Stanley Cup this year, or even coming close to it.

See, as rare as it is, great players do get drafted in the second round. Bad teams don't win Stanley Cups.

Quote:
Because the player could be _________ who never played an NHL game and turned out to be a career AHL'er.
Yeah, he can. But this team is so poorly built and in such dire need of elite prospects that instead of praying for a very unlikely miracle that this terrible team is going to make noise in the playoffs, I'd rather get as many first and second round picks as they can get their hands on. Especially since we won't be getting what we a really need: a high lottery pick.

At least if you have a wealth of second round picks, that either gives you the ability to trade up in the draft, or that many more chances at finding one of those one or two gems in that second round.

Those are the kind of chances we need to be taking, instead of taking the chance that we might make the playoffs and that we might beat a team far better than ours.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I thought the most fascinating comments on trade day came from the TSN panel discussing the Florida Panthers. One of the analysts said, "every year, they are rebuilding. It seems like they draft in the top 5 every year."

They do. Just like the Islanders. And not much different than Columbus or Atlanta.

Look, Pittsburgh and Washington were very fortunate. They were also painfully bad for a long, long time. Pittsburgh went bankrupt and almost lost their team. I saw several games in Washington before Ovechkin and the only thing that saved the franchise was a deep pocketed hockey nut owner. Even when the Rangers were missing the playoffs, they were fairly competitive. In fact, I don't think their own draft pick was ever higher than 6th overall. For every team that has a rags to riches story, there are several others than improve gradually through shrewd drafting, trading and development.

Those of you who want to burn the furniture have never been involved in a sports business or probably ever been a competitive athlete. How you would like to play on a team where the owners and managers have given up? It sucks. I saw it in the minor leagues, I've seen it in the major leagues and it is awful theatre. Sather is 67 years old. He is not interested in a five year plan.

Sather has had his chance to rebuild the franchise. While I think he has done a lot of good things and the Rangers have a good young core (and a lot of prospects on the way) the overall body of work is not good enough. He needs to step down. That said, whomever takes his place (Messier?) is not going to put his head in the sand for 2-3 years to accumlate draft picks and be eliminated from the playoffs on opening day. You want to be the guy to tell Mark we're going to miss the playoffs for a few years while we accumulate draft picks? Good luck with that.

This is the rebuild. Any changes that are made in the offseason will be made with the idea of competiting with the Penguins, Capitals and Devils next year. That may or may not happen but you can be sure the Rangers will not give up simply because they play in a conference with Ovechkin and Crosby.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Am I advocating that? No. I'm advocating NOT signing people, not buying. I'm advocating patience and rebuilding.
And I think this organization is doing that now more than they ever have. Speculating on what Prospal might have brought while your team is sitting tied for a playoff spot doesn't really matter. What are you going to tell guys like Callahan, Lundqvist, Dubinksy, etc... "Hey, guys, we're in a playoff spot but you (we) aren't good enough to win, in our opinion, so we're going to get some draft picks". I think you can sell that if your team sucks. I don't think you can if you're in a playoff spot.

Quote:
That's not heading in the right direction, that's just not making things much, much worse. If that's the kind of performance you're looking for from this team, than you standards have been met. I actually want to see a great hockey team that can compete for a Stanley Cup, not a team that expects gratitude for not being completely terrible.
Change takes time. I think the future is brighter than you do and if you're advocating patience, etc... then I don't see what the big deal is to talk about two or three years down the road. Is playoff experience going to hurt Staal, Dubi, Cally, Anisimov, Gilroy, etc....? I don't think so.

Quote:
Go right ahead, because I firmly believe that the chances of drafting one of those great second round players are better than the chances of the Rangers winning a Stanley Cup this year, or even coming close to it.

See, as rare as it is, great players do get drafted in the second round. Bad teams don't win Stanley Cups.
Edmonton is a "bad" team. The Rangers are an average team.

Quote:
Yeah, he can. But this team is so poorly built and in such dire need of elite prospects that instead of praying for a very unlikely miracle that this terrible team is going to make noise in the playoffs, I'd rather get as many first and second round picks as they can get their hands on. Especially since we won't be getting what we a really need: a high lottery pick.
How many deals today were for 1st round picks? Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from - but I think it's a really tough sell for a team on the playoff bubble that's been in the hunt all year long that you're just going to abandon ship and tell your boss (Dolan) that he's going to lose millions despite the fact that you're fielding a competitive team with an elite goalie. Put yourself in that position.

Quote:
At least if you have a wealth of second round picks, that either gives you the ability to trade up in the draft, or that many more chances at finding one of those one or two gems in that second round.
I don't argue that that's a good way to build a team. It is. I just don't think it's realistic for this team right now. If they were significantly worse. Yes. And, as much as Sather has really sucked leading up to the lockout, this organization has clearly changed its point of view about its young talent and that's certainly a step forward. Maybe I'm a little more optimistic than you are, but I think this team has a future down the road a bit.

Those are the kind of chances we need to be taking, instead of taking the chance that we might make the playoffs and that we might beat a team far better than ours.[/QUOTE]

Old
03-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
And I think this organization is doing that now more than they ever have. Speculating on what Prospal might have brought while your team is sitting tied for a playoff spot doesn't really matter. What are you going to tell guys like Callahan, Lundqvist, Dubinksy, etc... "Hey, guys, we're in a playoff spot but you (we) aren't good enough to win, in our opinion, so we're going to get some draft picks". I think you can sell that if your team sucks. I don't think you can if you're in a playoff spot.

Change takes time. I think the future is brighter than you do and if you're advocating patience, etc... then I don't see what the big deal is to talk about two or three years down the road. Is playoff experience going to hurt Staal, Dubi, Cally, Anisimov, Gilroy, etc....? I don't think so.

Edmonton is a "bad" team. The Rangers are an average team.

How many deals today were for 1st round picks? Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from - but I think it's a really tough sell for a team on the playoff bubble that's been in the hunt all year long that you're just going to abandon ship and tell your boss (Dolan) that he's going to lose millions despite the fact that you're fielding a competitive team with an elite goalie. Put yourself in that position.

I don't argue that that's a good way to build a team. It is. I just don't think it's realistic for this team right now. If they were significantly worse. Yes. And, as much as Sather has really sucked leading up to the lockout, this organization has clearly changed its point of view about its young talent and that's certainly a step forward. Maybe I'm a little more optimistic than you are, but I think this team has a future down the road a bit.

Those are the kind of chances we need to be taking, instead of taking the chance that we might make the playoffs and that we might beat a team far better than ours.
[/QUOTE]
pretty much agreed on all accounts.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
[/QUOTE]

No, you tell them, "Hey guys, you are the core of this team and we think you we can build around you to create a team that will challenge for the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, the team we have built around you right now isn't going to get us there, so we're going to blow up the team this season in hopes of getting this team in the direction necessary to compete in the near future."

Old
03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
You're saying theres no one in the top 10 that would help this team?

Thats BS and you know it.
No, i'm saying that this is a tiered draft with a lot of players grouped in similar skill brackets, with sizeable dropoffs between the tiers.

that is all.

there is a substantial talent difference (imho) after the top 5, and then again after the top ~15 at least, again, in my opinion.
Quote:
agreed.

Volchenkov and Kovalchuk would be idea.

but Kovalchuk has to be priority 1, 2 and 3 this offseason.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I thought the most fascinating comments on trade day came from the TSN panel discussing the Florida Panthers. One of the analysts said, "every year, they are rebuilding. It seems like they draft in the top 5 every year."

They do. Just like the Islanders. And not much different than Columbus or Atlanta.
Each and every one of those teams is a small-market team that faces issues this team never has to worry about, and doesn't compare in terms of luxuries and resources that this team has. Most of those teams have also been managed by people who made incredibly moronic moves that seriously harmed their franchises. Mike Milbury, Mike Keenan, Don Waddell, Doug MacLean. Not exactly sparkling reputations as general managers, and for good reason.

Quote:
Look, Pittsburgh and Washington were very fortunate. They were also painfully bad for a long, long time. Pittsburgh went bankrupt and almost lost their team. I saw several games in Washington before Ovechkin and the only thing that saved the franchise was a deep pocketed hockey nut owner. Even when the Rangers were missing the playoffs, they were fairly competitive. In fact, I don't think their own draft pick was ever higher than 6th overall. For every team that has a rags to riches story, there are several others than improve gradually through shrewd drafting, trading and development.
Yet we've been "competitive" and not "painfully bad" for years, and haven't improved gradually through shrewd drafting, trading and development. We've shrewdly drafted and developed a small handful of useful role players, and our best trades have, at best, simply fixed our colossal free agent signings.

Quote:
Those of you who want to burn the furniture have never been involved in a sports business or probably ever been a competitive athlete. How you would like to play on a team where the owners and managers have given up? It sucks. I saw it in the minor leagues, I've seen it in the major leagues and it is awful theatre. Sather is 67 years old. He is not interested in a five year plan.
Because the current formula is providing far more satisfactory results? Considering half the roster, at least, has to be changed if this team has any hope of contending, I don't much care what the players think. Personally, if I'm Henrik Lundqvist, Marian Gaborik or Ryan Callahan, the message I'm receiving is: Keep playing your ass of, but don't expect us to ever provide you with a competent team that can actually win anything. Instead, we'll keep signing a bunch of fill in players that will never be good enough to get you a Stanley Cup. Yay, team spirit!

Quote:
Sather has had his chance to rebuild the franchise. While I think he has done a lot of good things and the Rangers have a good young core (and a lot of prospects on the way) the overall body of work is not good enough. He needs to step down. That said, whomever takes his place (Messier?) is not going to put his head in the sand for 2-3 years to accumlate draft picks and be eliminated from the playoffs on opening day. You want to be the guy to tell Mark we're going to miss the playoffs for a few years while we accumulate draft picks? Good luck with that.
So, it's okay for other GMs who get hired with other teams to come into a rebuilding situation, but Mark Messier's unproven ass is too good for that? That's okay, though, because I'm sure ticket prices will be raised either way.

Quote:
This is the rebuild. Any changes that are made in the offseason will be made with the idea of competiting with the Penguins, Capitals and Devils next year. That may or may not happen but you can be sure the Rangers will not give up simply because they play in a conference with Ovechkin and Crosby.
This is NOT a rebuild. This is a half-assed, incomplete facade of a rebuild, and because the Rangers will not "give up," AKA rebuild like most competently operated franchise in salary capped leagues do, they'll never surpass the Penguins or the Capitals, or numerous other teams, for that matter.

It's an absolute disgrace. It's continuing the commitment to mediocrity, nothing more.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
No, i'm saying that this is a tiered draft with a lot of players grouped in similar skill brackets, with sizeable dropoffs between the tiers.

that is all.

there is a substantial talent difference (imho) after the top 5, and then again after the top ~15 at least, again, in my opinion.

agreed.

Volchenkov and Kovalchuk would be idea.

but Kovalchuk has to be priority 1, 2 and 3 this offseason.
And we're right where we started this conversation. Relying on Kovalchuk is not a healthy strategy. If he doesn't get him then what?

Old
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Each and every one of those teams is a small-market team that faces issues this team never has to worry about, and doesn't compare in terms of luxuries and resources that this team has. Most of those teams have also been managed by people who made incredibly moronic moves that seriously harmed their franchises. Mike Milbury, Mike Keenan, Don Waddell, Doug MacLean. Not exactly sparkling reputations as general managers, and for good reason.

Yet we've been "competitive" and not "painfully bad" for years, and haven't improved gradually through shrewd drafting, trading and development. We've shrewdly drafted and developed a small handful of useful role players, and our best trades have, at best, simply fixed our colossal free agent signings.

Because the current formula is providing far more satisfactory results? Considering half the roster, at least, has to be changed if this team has any hope of contending, I don't much care what the players think. Personally, if I'm Henrik Lundqvist, Marian Gaborik or Ryan Callahan, the message I'm receiving is: Keep playing your ass of, but don't expect us to ever provide you with a competent team that can actually win anything. Instead, we'll keep signing a bunch of fill in players that will never be good enough to get you a Stanley Cup. Yay, team spirit!

So, it's okay for other GMs who get hired with other teams to come into a rebuilding situation, but Mark Messier's unproven ass is too good for that? That's okay, though, because I'm sure ticket prices will be raised either way.

This is NOT a rebuild. This is a half-assed, incomplete facade of a rebuild, and because the Rangers will not "give up," AKA rebuild like most competently operated franchise in salary capped leagues do, they'll never surpass the Penguins or the Capitals, or numerous other teams, for that matter.

It's an absolute disgrace. It's continuing the commitment to mediocrity, nothing more.
To add on to this, sure, some teams have continued to suck despite drafting high consistently, but at the same some have succeeded. I'd love for anyone to show me one team that has succeeded from continuing to build teams good enough to squeek into the playoffs.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
And we're right where we started this conversation. Relying on Kovalchuk is not a healthy strategy. If he doesn't get him then what?
prayer?

what if he made the trades, got a few draft picks, which almost assures that kovalchuk doesnt come here since he wants to win? then what? you think a few 2nd rounders which wont hit the NHL for 2-4 years will be the key to turning this team around? Sorry, I don't buy that.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:43 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Jokinen and Prospal are two UFAs that hold value. They could have fetched some picks. Sell. Sell. Sell. Sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
This.

Coupled with the fact that it was clearly a seller's market, we could have gotten good value back for them. Prospal and Jokinen would have been the 2 best players available today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
THIS times 1000000000000000000000000000.

You dont sell when you are tied for last playoff spot.

If we made a deal I expected it to be for 1 of Booth/Weiss/Horton. Once nothing happened there I had a feeling Sather was going to stand pat.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

No, you tell them, "Hey guys, you are the core of this team and we think you we can build around you to create a team that will challenge for the Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, the team we have built around you right now isn't going to get us there, so we're going to blow up the team this season in hopes of getting this team in the direction necessary to compete in the near future."
They don't have the assets to move to get them anyplace in the "near future" via the draft. Jokinen? Prospal? What's that, 2 2nd round picks? Who else? Rozy, Redden, Drury are all going to get nothing (unless you get toxic contracts in return) and anyone else worth anything is part of your "core" that you probably don't want to get rid of.

Off Season 2010: dump Redden, Voros, Lisin to the AHL if you have to. Don't re-sign Prospal or Jokinen. Use your draft picks. Develop your young talent. Don't sign Kovalchuk (sorry, folks, I never agreed with bringing him here) to some ludicrous salary (the Devils won't, either).

UFA's: Marleau, Martin, Frolov, Volchenkov, Armstrong, Torres, Hamhuis, Boynton, etc... There's no "elite" talent there, but if you sign a guy like Kovy, you're going to have nothing left. Building a team in the cap world isn't going to be easy and parity is going to get worse.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
prayer?

what if he made the trades, got a few draft picks, which almost assures that kovalchuk doesnt come here since he wants to win? then what? you think a few 2nd rounders which wont hit the NHL for 2-4 years will be the key to turning this team around? Sorry, I don't buy that.
It's not two 2nd rounders that would turn this team around. It's the fact that making those moves would signal a change in philosophy.

And I don't see how trading Prospal and Jokinen has any relevance to Kovalchuk signing here. Both are free agents at the end of the year so it's not like Kovalchuk would be signing here to play with them. Do you really think Kovalchuk is going to be licking his chops because the Rangers locked up a 7th seed the previous year and lost in the first round? If Kovalchuk's primary concern is playing on a contending team then it's a lost cause in trying to acquire him anyway because he'll just resign with the Devils before Sather even gets a chance to negotiate with him.