HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline deal observations: Grebs and Boyd

Old
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Chris Burton

vCash: 500
Howdy, all. Thought I'd jump in here and offer a few thoughts on our deadline acquisitions. I'm a writer for On The Forecheck, for reference.

Grebeshkov:

Have to admit that I saw this as the setup move to flip Hamhuis for a forward. I was not pleased when the deadline passed and Dan was still on the team, but I'm coming around. Having what I deem to be the deepest defense corps in the league is truly an asset that no other team can boast. Grebs is going to improve our power play and penalty kill, and we wouldn't have been able to say that about other defense acquisitions.

Boyd:
Again, I was perturbed Poile didn't go after someone like Tomas Fleischmann or Eric Fehr from Washington, but upon seeing the reaction out of Calgary, I'm changing my mind. The consensus is that Boyd didn't get a proper chance there, and has a ceiling of a David Legwand type player. If all it took was a 4th rounder to get a 2C, I'll be very pleased. Time will tell if Trotz can work his magic here, so lets reserve judgment.

Well, thats all for an opening post.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-04-2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: links
Chris Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:31 PM
PredsChik

Do you/did you used to work in sales for the Preds?

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Chris Burton

Quote:
Do you/did you used to work in sales for the Preds?
I wish...I have been asked that question before, though. Someone with the same name must've.

Chris Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Burton View Post
I wish...I have been asked that question before, though. Someone with the same name must've.
Chris Burton is the manager of premium seating for the Preds. Funny, I was asking Dirk the same thing yesterday...

http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=37166

Anyways welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing another member join the discussion!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Chris Burton is the manager of premium seating for the Preds. Funny, I was asking Dirk the same thing yesterday...
That's what I was getting at. lol He was my old rep before being promoted. Best rep ever, imo.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:16 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
That's what I was getting at. lol He was my old rep before being promoted. Best rep ever, imo.
and a VERY good guy too...

Btw, thanks for that link SLake! I had no idea that everyone's names were on the Preds website. Ha.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:08 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'll be honest with you. This draft I think solidified the Preds for a multi-round playoff run.

Wilson and Grebs will help the PP

Grebs should eat away at Franson and Bouillon's PP time and Wilson is already getting 2 minutes a game.

On the PK Boyd will eat away at Legwand's time so that Legwand can maybe used in a More offensive role. Legwand as is gets 2:04 of SH time while he also gets 1:44 of PK time. This might improve the PP with more Legwand.

Wilson on the PP = Better PP
More Legwand on the PP = Better PP
Grebs on the PP instead of Franson = Better PP

Boyd taking some of Legwand's minutes on the PK might be a push but the team might get some more offense.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:08 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'll be honest with you. This draft I think solidified the Preds for a multi-round playoff run.

Wilson and Grebs will help the PP

Grebs should eat away at Franson and Bouillon's PP time and Wilson is already getting 2 minutes a game.

On the PK Boyd will eat away at Legwand's time so that Legwand can maybe used in a More offensive role. Legwand as is gets 2:04 of SH time while he also gets 1:44 of PK time. This might improve the PP with more Legwand.

Wilson on the PP = Better PP
More Legwand on the PP = Better PP
Grebs on the PP instead of Franson = Better PP

Boyd taking some of Legwand's minutes on the PK might be a push but the team might get some more offense.
On the whole, i agree with your post. But I have to say that I disagree with it.

I think O'Reilly > Legwand on offense. I also think Legwand > Boyd on defense.

I would rather see O'Reilly centering Wilson and Tootoo -- giving us 2 good offensive lines, 1 shutdown or offensive line, and 1 shutdown line. But with Boyd playing with Wilson and Tootoo, it gives us 1 offensive line, 2 shutdown or offensive lines, and 1 shutdown line.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...bag/index.html

In case anyone missed it, Muir's opinion.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
WartracePred

Hindsight is 50/50. I suppose we are fortunate that Hamhuis wasn't traded in light of the injuries to Weber and Grebeshkov. But I still believe we could have offered a pick and a prospect (Jones, O'Reilly, Santorelli, etc...) and landed Poni or someone at his level. Would not a prospect AND a pick brought us a top 6 guy? Or even better, Hamhuis AND a pick. Every year I see bold moves. And with the exception of the Forsberg deal, Poile always takes the cautious path. We'll never get beyond the first round unless we take a few more risks. Our blue collar team just isn't built to go deep in the playoffs.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Hindsight is 50/50. I suppose we are fortunate that Hamhuis wasn't traded in light of the injuries to Weber and Grebeshkov. But I still believe we could have offered a pick and a prospect (Jones, O'Reilly, Santorelli, etc...) and landed Poni or someone at his level. Would not a prospect AND a pick brought us a top 6 guy? Or even better, Hamhuis AND a pick. Every year I see bold moves. And with the exception of the Forsberg deal, Poile always takes the cautious path. We'll never get beyond the first round unless we take a few more risks. Our blue collar team just isn't built to go deep in the playoffs.
Burke was looking for something very specific in return for Poni. Whatever Poile offered wasn't it. Doubtful that O'Reilly on his one way next season or Jones on a one way, nearly $1mil contract was anywhere close to what Burke wanted ... apparently he asked about Caputi by name when dealing with the Pens. Other than Poni, the only "top 6" type guys were the kids traded for each other between Colorado and Phoenix. Wanting us to chase rental forwards?

9th in even strength goals so far this year ...... we need a penalty kill.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
WartracePred

Point taken 101st. My response is more emotional than rational. I live on the message boards in the days leading up to the deadline. And it seems every year I'm disappointed because we didn't pick up a bona fide scorer. That's what a lot of Preds fans wanted this year, what we want every year, a top 6 guy. And when we grabbed Grebs and Boyd - depth and special teams help - folks put on their rose colored glasses and said hooray! We may be 9th in the league at even strength, but I highly doubt our PP improves significantly with the addition of Grebeshkov and Boyd. Hope they prove me wrong.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCpredator View Post
Point taken 101st. My response is more emotional than rational. I live on the message boards in the days leading up to the deadline. And it seems every year I'm disappointed because we didn't pick up a bona fide scorer. That's what a lot of Preds fans wanted this year, what we want every year, a top 6 guy. And when we grabbed Grebs and Boyd - depth and special teams help - folks put on their rose colored glasses and said hooray! We may be 9th in the league at even strength, but I highly doubt our PP improves significantly with the addition of Grebeshkov and Boyd. Hope they prove me wrong.
Yeah ... our PP is still lingering at the 3.7% it was at after game eight, isn't it? There's no way it's converted at over 19% for the past 58 games. Something like 4 for 15 since the break.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Federko

Quote:
Bingo, the depth that these moves, the addition of Wilson, and the decision to keep Hamhuis have set us up with great depth and the flexibility needed to succeed.

I'm very pleased with acquiring a young NHL veteran defenseman that was arguably one of Edmonton's best last season that really needed a change of scenery, but provides us with help on the PP and makes for a very deep top 6.

The deal to acquire Boyd was well worth it. A former 2nd rounder that was probably rushed to the NHL and not really given the opportunity to blossom in Calgary. Boyd is a player that I've always come away impressed with whenever I get the opportunity to watch Calgary. Probably needs to fill in his frame a bit more, but love his speed and hockey smarts. A younger version of Fiddler with better offensive instincts and a cheaper contract. Is an RFA at season's end, so I expect him to be worked into the lineup next season as well.

Wilson has scored 4 points (1g, 3a) in his last 4 games and is showing signs of what made him a dominant player in college. A combination of skill and size, Wilson is an excellent addition to the lineup and could easily be the scoring depth we needed. This addition cannot be overlooked, because ultimately I think it was the reason that Poile felt he did not have to overpay to get a scorer at the deadline.

And lastly, a big "Thank You" must go out to the ownership group that told Poile to do what he felt was necessary and allow him to keep Hamhuis for the remainder of the season and not forcing a salary dump (as many expected) after adding Grebeshkov and his contract on Monday. Hamhuis wants to stay in Nashville and has been told that the only way the team can afford to pay to keep him is by making the playoffs and advancing. You want to see a player give a contract performance? I'm willing to bet with the stress of a pregnant wife and a possible mid-season trade off the tables now...Hamhuis will be a key contributor down the stretch and throughout the playoffs.

Poile has given Trotz plenty of bodies to work with, restored the depth throughout the organization to the level it was at pre-Balsillie, and again given us a great opportunity to not only make the playoffs, but also to advance.

It's up to the players now to perform. The competition for ice time will be increased and I believe that the guys within the locker room are going to look around and be happy and excited with what they have and where they want to go...
Exactly!
On a side note: Every player on the Oilers needs a change of scenery. They almost improve ten fold once they've ended there tenure with Edmonton. You are going to love Grebs & Boyd.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
It's been asked in the comments section of every blog I visit, been asked on the message boards, and even been discussed within the Predators Twitter community as well..."What will it take for Cal O`Reilly to get back into the lineup?"

Since his recall on January 25th, O'Reilly has appeared in 13 games for the Predators registering 2 goals and 3 assists over that span and due to his waiver status looks to have earned a permanent spot on the Nashville roster (Milwaukee has re-assigned #16 to Marty Murray). However, since the acquisition of Dustin Boyd at the trade deadline on March 3rd, O'Reilly has not appeared in a game.

This lead me to dive into the advanced statistics today and take a look at the numbers for the two and do a little comparison that even shocked me a little...
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/3...alysis-boyd-vs

It's a little long, but I essentially compared the last 7 games O'Reilly played to the first 7 games Boyd has played to get a gauge on whether or not it's been the correct decision to make O'Reilly a healthy scratch since Boyd's arrival.

I found it interesting and I hope you will too...

Old
03-20-2010, 01:34 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/3...alysis-boyd-vs

It's a little long, but I essentially compared the last 7 games O'Reilly played to the first 7 games Boyd has played to get a gauge on whether or not it's been the correct decision to make O'Reilly a healthy scratch since Boyd's arrival.

I found it interesting and I hope you will too...
It's an interesting read and gave me a little info on the corsi rating which I really only had heard about. My question is this, is there a breakdown of corsi ratings for home versus away games? Does that play into the numbers at all when all is said and done? Obviously the home team can match up a little better with the last line change before a face off but does that change the effect of these ratings and while I'm at it, does it play a big part in plus/minus ratings as well? I know some people don't like the plus/minus but I'm just curious about both.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It's an interesting read and gave me a little info on the corsi rating which I really only had heard about. My question is this, is there a breakdown of corsi ratings for home versus away games? Does that play into the numbers at all when all is said and done? Obviously the home team can match up a little better with the last line change before a face off but does that change the effect of these ratings and while I'm at it, does it play a big part in plus/minus ratings as well? I know some people don't like the plus/minus but I'm just curious about both.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm not really sure if I would be able to run a report of home games vs. road games using the Time On Ice site, but will try to find out.

I would be interested to see how that factors into the numbers and would have to make a guess that the numbers would have less of a variation for better two-way players like Boyd than one-dimensional guys like O'Reilly. I would base that guess on the assumption that a two-way player would be better suited to play against a superior line, but conversely have to at the same time consider that a vastly superior one-dimensional offensive player might be better suited to handle the situation by keeping the puck in the offensive end of the ice for the majority of his shift.

Geez, now you have me all excited again to dig into the numbers...

I went back and looked at the seven games spans I used to compare Boyd to O'Reilly and there was in fact a slight difference in the home/away balance with Boyd getting 3 home games to 4 road games, while O'Reilly saw action in 2 home games and 5 road games...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 03-20-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old
03-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Seth Lake

Comparing some of Boyd's numbers from Calgary to Nashville...

Games played: Calgary - 60, Nashville - 7
Corsi % - Calgary - .492%, Nashville - .550%
Team Average Corsi % - Calgary - .519%, Nashville - .512%
EV Save % - Calgary - .951% (2nd best on team), Nashville - 1.000% (tied for best on team)

Appears that in the limited sample size, Boyd has had a greater impact since being acquired by the Predators, but what is really interesting is looking at the save percentage numbers and realizing how high those are for even-strength play...

Old
03-20-2010, 12:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I like O'Reilly, and think he's good depth for us to have going down the stretch, but the role Boyd is playing is so much more important to us, right now. He's killing penalties, he's winning faceoffs, he's relentless on the puck. Those are attributes we were in big need of...more so than the slight offensive boost O'Reilly might provide.

Any timetable on Grebs' return?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I like O'Reilly, and think he's good depth for us to have going down the stretch, but the role Boyd is playing is so much more important to us, right now. He's killing penalties, he's winning faceoffs, he's relentless on the puck. Those are attributes we were in big need of...more so than the slight offensive boost O'Reilly might provide.
I agree completely, it was more my intent to look into the numbers to make sure my favorable impression of Boyd in Calgary wasn't skewing my perception of his effectiveness with the Predators.

I found a bunch of other interesting things that I'll have to explore later and maybe write some posts on too...

Quote:
Grebs was cleared earlier this week to resume working out, but has not yet been cleared to resume skating. Therefore, there is no timetable for his return yet...

Old
03-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Hoping Legwand is paying attention to Boyd's play, he could learn from it.

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote