HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau escapes the axe

Old
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
SlowFreshOil*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Well, if you go by what he says in interviews, you know, the ones where he says the team isnt that talented or how the goaltending is substandard, or the pk unit is terrible, without ever acknowledging his own shortcomings or by his own play on the ice which is completely selfish, taking repeated offensive zone penalties late in the game that either leads to a goal that costs us the game or gives us no chance of getting back into it............I think you get the picture.

This doesnt even include the reported split in the dressing room last year between vets and young players or management and coaching talking about changing the culture of the team or reporters talking about how certain veterans have an attitude of entitlement.........

Have you been paying attention? Is this an environment that you want your top prospects exposed to?
Don't worry, you won't be seeing him in Oilers silks next season. Bank on it.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Loweball

I 100% guarantee that as unhappy as we are Ethan is still an Oiler, he is 10X more disappointed he is still an Oiler.

Escaped the axe? hardly. There is not a player on the team who "escaped the axe". I'm betting they were praying to be dealt. Lubo is probably doing cartwheels all the way to Anaheim.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
Don't worry, you won't be seeing him in Oilers silks next season. Bank on it.
You got any inside info?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
I 100% guarantee that as unhappy as we are Ethan is still an Oiler, he is 10X more disappointed he is still an Oiler.

Escaped the axe? hardly. There is not a player on the team who "escaped the axe". I'm betting they were praying to be dealt. Lubo is probably doing cartwheels all the way to Anaheim.
His ego took a HUGE hit. I hope that lights a fire under his butt. But how many times does that happen with a veteran?

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
SlowFreshOil*

This is possibly the best thing that could have happened. Moreau will have to take a long hard look in the mirror and realize no one wanted him, no one.

I think this chopped him down right at the knees. He deserved it.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
This is possibly the best thing that could have happened. Moreau will have to take a long hard look in the mirror and realize no one wanted him, no one.

+100

Old
03-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Loweball

Quote:

Or maybe our imbecile GM thought he was worth keeping?

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You got any inside info?
One of two things will happen. He'll either get bought out, or traded at the draft along with a pick, to a team desperate for picks. He won't be here next season. The Oilers know he's a pariah now.

Old
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
I doubt that very much.

Old
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
There were NO takers. I know this for a fact.

Old
03-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Kyle McMahon

I was disappointed that he wasn't sent packing after training camp, and the failure to move him today reinforces that. We likely could have dumped him at some point before Christmas before all of the other 29 GMs got wise. Ethan really has hit rock bottom. An NHL captain that no team in the league would take for free...wow.

What makes everyone think he'll somehow be moveable after the season? If a team was going to take a chance on him, it would have happened today. Looks like it's retirement or the AHL for you Ethan. The correct move would probably be to send him to the minors right now so he's not wasting a roster spot, but I'd expect the Oil to let him walk away with one sliver of pride by letting him stay on the team for the rest of this season.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:06 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
We'd have had to give up a draft pick + Moreau and take a bad contract back to trade him. This has been well documented over the last month by the likes of Dreger.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
There's really no point, with only 1 year left on his contract. We'd be stuck with the buyout cap-hit for the next 3 years, if I understand buyouts correctly.

-JH.
I don't think you do. In general, buyouts are 2/3rds of the remaining amount on the contract, spread out over 2 seasons for every season bought out.

Now, Moreau's situation is a bit more complicated, because his contract was front-loaded, but more or less, his Cap hit would be it would be 1/3rd of his 2 million salary, or $667k the next season and again the season after that.

He'll be bought out.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Did you see what other "depth" forwards were going for? 7th round picks... bleh. Now that we have some cap space, we should see if he can turn his game around next season, and increase his value.

-JH.
No kidding. Today demonstrated that there is no market for old role players, especially ones with a year left on their contract who are sucking.

Moreau will likely be dealt at the draft for a 7th rounder if we're lucky. But having said that, he will only have one year left on his deal and may be more attractive to a team needing a solid fourth liner. Maybe a 5th.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Well, it was apparent that Tambellini was shopping him hard but apparently no team wants him, who woulda thunk? Can't blame Tambo for this one although maybe he should have dumped Moreau for a bag of pucks.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Hemsky4PM

Buy him out if he cannot be dealt at or before the draft. I wouldn't let it linger.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Buy him out if he cannot be dealt at or before the draft. I wouldn't let it linger.

They'll put him on waivers I would think if they can't get anything at the draft, just to let him go anywhere for free if anyone wants him. I'd think he'd likely retire should everyone pass on him, but then again, he would look good on the Moose.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Stoneman89

I said on here earlier that the extra year on his contract was going to make it extremely difficult to deal him, given how badly he's performed and his age, but some thought it would be no problem. If that stupid extra year wasn't on, then I would say he'd have been a slam dunk, poor play or not. And now, some people know why it's so difficult to move certain players. Good luck at the draft, Tambo.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I said on here earlier that the extra year on his contract was going to make it extremely difficult to deal him, given how badly he's performed and his age, but some thought it would be no problem. If that stupid extra year wasn't on, then I would say he'd have been a slam dunk, poor play or not. And now, some people know why it's so difficult to move certain players. Good luck at the draft, Tambo.
"I don't have a no-trade clause," said Moreau, who has another year left on his contract at $2 million US, which might be problematic to some teams. Most teams rent players at the deadline when their contracts are running out.

But Moreau, the 12th captain in Oilers history, doesn't believe his situation will scare off teams.

"I don't see that. For some teams it might be a bonus because they can get me for next year, too," he said.

- Moreau doesn't agree...

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Three were tons of rumors that he was being shopped, NO ONE WANTED HIM, there's a big difference.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Moreau is old, injury prone and absolutely brutal, teams would be dumb to trade a 7th for him, not surprised he's still in Edmonton.

What an idiot, I'm sure he was so certain he'd be traded.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
AM

You guys have no respect.

You are talking about the Oiler captain.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Moreau is old, injury prone and absolutely brutal, teams would be dumb to trade a 7th for him, not surprised he's still in Edmonton.

What an idiot, I'm sure he was so certain he'd be traded.
Haha, I know. I wonder what his demeanor is like today; he's probably moping around the dressing room. Great captain.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post

The worst captain since Shayne Corson.

He's deserves everything he gets when it comes to the game. When he stops throwing everyone else under the bus and has a good look in the mirror, I'll call off the hounds.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Oilbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post

You want respect even if he blatantly states that he'd like out of town? Throughout the season he has continually criticized the team without taking any of the responsibility, meanwhile being nearly the worst player on the ice night in/night out.

Yeah, Captain indeed.

I've never felt anyone more deserving of having it stripped.

Last edited by Oilbender: 03-03-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Oilbender is offline   Reply With Quote