HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau escapes the axe

Old
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Haha, I know. I wonder what his demeanor is like today; he's probably moping around the dressing room. Great captain.
Not a chance. Guys like Moreau have untouchable egos. He will likely deflect blame on to Tambo.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
maybe he'll throw us a curve ball and decide to retire

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
I'm thinking thecaptainethanmoreau will be sent to the minors if he is not moved at the draft, he will refuse to report to the AHL and his contract will be mutually terminated somehow.

From a cap hit perspective it's better to send him down than to buy him out.

Edit: As for the rest of this season, I can see him nursing an injury and getting scratched for 15+ games.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Not a chance. Guys like Moreau have untouchable egos. He will likely deflect blame on to Tambo.
Yes, I suspect Moreau believes there were plenty of offers for his services, but Tambo was seeking too much value coming back, and this is why he wasn't traded.

In his own mind, he probably thinks he's worth a second round pick.

In reality, he has negative value, and Tambo was unwilling to part with a pick and take back another bad contract like Exelby (as Dreger reported earlier) in order to get the deal done.

I have suspected all along that Ethan would not be traded. He is brutal on the ice, and his so-called intangibles have no real value in the trade market. No GM (other than Daryl Sutter) is going to give up any assets in order to burden their club with our veteran suck.

There is not a whole lot to be gained in dragging this out. Given his poor play, Moreau should resign as Captain, be sent home in the same way Laraque was, and then be bought out in June. There is nothing disrepectful in doing this, as it gives Moreau the opportunity to sign with another team as a UFA.

Let's use the remainder of the year to get some younger players into some games. I would much rather watch Ryan Jones than Ethan Moreau at this point.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I don't think we have to worry about him being an Oiler next year. He'll either be traded/bought out, or Quinn will murder him by June.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Yes, I suspect Moreau believes there were plenty of offers for his services, but Tambo was seeking too much value coming back, and this is why he wasn't traded.

In his own mind, he probably thinks he's worth a second round pick.

In reality, he has negative value, and Tambo was unwilling to part with a pick and take back another bad contract like Exelby (as Dreger reported earlier) in order to get the deal done.

I have suspected all along that Ethan would not be traded. He is brutal on the ice, and his so-called intangibles have no real value in the trade market. No GM (other than Daryl Sutter) is going to give up any assets in order to burden their club with our veteran suck.

There is not a whole lot to be gained in dragging this out. Given his poor play, Moreau should resign as Captain, be sent home in the same way Laraque was, and then be bought out in June. There is nothing disrepectful in doing this, as it gives Moreau the opportunity to sign with another team as a UFA.

Let's use the remainder of the year to get some younger players into some games. I would much rather watch Ryan Jones than Ethan Moreau at this point.
I think he wasn't traded as other teams wanted a draft pick back as you said.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No. Never. He is poison and he need not be here next year to spread it to the young guys. Bought out or in the "A" I dont care, just not on the team to start the year.
This.

He has poisoned this team to a level that the whole team has absolutely no accountability to each other and their coach. Accountability starts from your team captain, unfortunately for this team, Accountability stops at Ethan Moreau.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
CanmoreMike

So where do we go from here?

If our Captain is playing his swan song, we've dealt away a very good veteran and have another trying franticly to get healthy enough so he too can be traded - who is captain? Who is going to come in here, clean up this mess and put a healthy imprint on the team and lead it to greater heights?

Who do we promote, trade, sign and have come in here?

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
CanmoreMike

And kudos to people slamming Shayne Corson. My only regret is that he wasn't born later so we could be getting all kinds of dirt on him in this day and age of blogging, camera phones and chat boards.

That guy was a loser. Ethan Moreau is a close facsimile to that.

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
No. Never. He is poison and he need not be here next year to spread it to the young guys. Bought out or in the "A" I dont care, just not on the team to start the year.
You know Dude, you have to relax. He is the captain of this team and deserves some respect from the organization. What kind of Team would this be if we shipped him off to the A? Poison?? Give your head a shake and try to think of a way he can leave without totally dissing him. Think about how the rest of the league will regard such a dis...

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post
"I don't have a no-trade clause," said Moreau, who has another year left on his contract at $2 million US, which might be problematic to some teams. Most teams rent players at the deadline when their contracts are running out.

But Moreau, the 12th captain in Oilers history, doesn't believe his situation will scare off teams.

"I don't see that. For some teams it might be a bonus because they can get me for next year, too," he said.

- Moreau doesn't agree...
lol no way. Did he actually say this? What a ****ing dummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
So where do we go from here?

If our Captain is playing his swan song, we've dealt away a very good veteran and have another trying franticly to get healthy enough so he too can be traded - who is captain? Who is going to come in here, clean up this mess and put a healthy imprint on the team and lead it to greater heights?

Who do we promote, trade, sign and have come in here?
If it's gonna be someone already on the team, my vote would be for Gagner. I say that because he's the only one that seems to truly give a **** every night. He'll only be 21 next season so maybe that's too young, but at the very least I'd like to see him as a full time assistant.

Old
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
lol no way. Did he actually say this? What a ****ing dummy.
He sure did

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...357/story.html

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post
Oh God.

Old
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post

He is the captain of this team and deserves some respect from the organization. What kind of Team would this be if we shipped him off to the A? Poison??
Since Moreau does not respect the "C" on his sweater, there is no reason for the fans to show respect toward the person wearing that sweater...

And I suggest you look at other teams & their buyouts, demotions, etc...

By the way, where is Nylander?

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Well, if you go by what he says in interviews, you know, the ones where he says the team isnt that talented or how the goaltending is substandard, or the pk unit is terrible, without ever acknowledging his own shortcomings or by his own play on the ice which is completely selfish, taking repeated offensive zone penalties late in the game that either leads to a goal that costs us the game or gives us no chance of getting back into it............I think you get the picture.

This doesnt even include the reported split in the dressing room last year between vets and young players or management and coaching talking about changing the culture of the team or reporters talking about how certain veterans have an attitude of entitlement.........

Have you been paying attention? Is this an environment that you want your top prospects exposed to?
Well, in those interviews where he critiques the team, he doesn't say "them," or "they." He says "we" and "us." That implies he includes himself, yes?

Sure, he doesn't come out and say, "I've been playing awful," but not many players come out and say that specifically about themselves. He hasn't exactly come out and said he's perfectly happy with his play either, so I'm not sure why you think that he is. You're making assumptions about him, based on your own opinions that are based on reading between the (imaginary) lines.

As the captain, I feel he has the right to critique the team's flaws, much in the same way that a coach does. If Moreau is at fault for anything, it's for being too direct with his assessment of the team's failures. You see that as a negative, I find it refreshing. If the players feel the same way you do, than it's probably time for Moreau to move on. But, if the players are offended by what Moreau says in the interviews, maybe they need to give their heads a shake. Every criticism he has of the team is true, from the interviews I've heard. It's not like he makes up lies to tell to the media. Maybe he's actually one of the players on the team who isn't making excuses. The real problem I see with Moreau is he's obviously not capable of changing his style of play, to play a more responsible game of hockey. That unwillingness -or inability- to change, despite the fact his "intensity" hurts the team more than it helps, is why he needs to move on.

Management talking about changing the culture of the team doesn't mean the culture problem was the vets fault. That would be an assumption made by you. Even if it is a problem with the veterans, as some reporters speculate, that doesn't mean it's a problem with Moreau himself. It could be other veterans. You assume it's Moreau.

I'm not saying he isn't a stuck up, egotistical jerk who feels entitled. All I'm saying is, when you add it all up, you actually have zero concrete evidence that supports that hypothesis. I don't make a habit of believing heresay, which is all you've got. I'm just trying not to jump to conclusions based on zero factual evidence, something all too common on these boards, and among Edmonton fans in general.

Some people believe we never went to the moon, and that the destruction of the World Trade Towers was an inside job by the American government. But they have no proof, just speculation and theories. They have compelling arguments -on the surface- but no proof to back them up.

But, please, if you have some insider information about this team, or Ethan Moreau, feel free to share.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I'm thinking thecaptainethanmoreau will be sent to the minors if he is not moved at the draft, he will refuse to report to the AHL and his contract will be mutually terminated somehow.

From a cap hit perspective it's better to send him down than to buy him out.

Edit: As for the rest of this season, I can see him nursing an injury and getting scratched for 15+ games.
You know what happened, don't you? You and SlowFreshOil both.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Well, in those interviews where he critiques the team, he doesn't say "them," or "they." He says "we" and "us." That implies he includes himself, yes?

Sure, he doesn't come out and say, "I've been playing awful," but not many players come out and say that specifically about themselves.
Last season he blamed the young forwards and this season he blamed the young goalies. Saying we have young goalies and we need to score 4,5,6 goals to win a game. Just a couple examples among many dumb things he has said.

Actually a lot of players come out and say I was playing awful. Especially team captains. It is part of their job to take blame and deflect heat away from their teammates. That is part of what a leader does for his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Since Moreau does not respect the "C" on his sweater, there is no reason for the fans to show respect toward the person wearing that sweater...
I am sure more than a few fans lost respect for him with the many dumb things he has said over the last few years. Stuff like saying fans will still fill the seats no matter how we play or something close to that. I can remember a lot of people were ticked over that one.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-03-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:05 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
You know Dude, you have to relax. He is the captain of this team and deserves some respect from the organization. What kind of Team would this be if we shipped him off to the A? Poison?? Give your head a shake and try to think of a way he can leave without totally dissing him. Think about how the rest of the league will regard such a dis...
Here's a tip, until we clean up this mess no one is coming here willingly unless it is a last choice. Part of the clean up is players that have a false sense of entitlement. Moreau is exhibit "A". I could care less what he, you or anyone else thinks.

He needs to be gone if things are going to turn around for this team. If you can watch his play, listen to what he says, and still spout your self righteous attitude then you either havent been paying attention or you have a poor understanding of how team dynamics work or you have a close personal relationship with the player or are a relative.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post

Sure, he doesn't come out and say, "I've been playing awful," but not many players come out and say that specifically about themselves. He hasn't exactly come out and said he's perfectly happy with his play either, so I'm not sure why you think that he is. You're making assumptions about him, based on your own opinions that are based on reading between the (imaginary) lines.

As the captain, I feel he has the right to critique the team's flaws, much in the same way that a coach does. If Moreau is at fault for anything, it's for being too direct with his assessment of the team's failures. You see that as a negative, I find it refreshing. If the players feel the same way you do, than it's probably time for Moreau to move on. But, if the players are offended by what Moreau says in the interviews, maybe they need to give their heads a shake. Every criticism he has of the team is true, from the interviews I've heard. It's not like he makes up lies to tell to the media. Maybe he's actually one of the players on the team who isn't making excuses. The real problem I see with Moreau is he's obviously not capable of changing his style of play, to play a more responsible game of hockey. That unwillingness -or inability- to change, despite the fact his "intensity" hurts the team more than it helps, is why he needs to move on.

Management talking about changing the culture of the team doesn't mean the culture problem was the vets fault. That would be an assumption made by you. Even if it is a problem with the veterans, as some reporters speculate, that doesn't mean it's a problem with Moreau himself. It could be other veterans. You assume it's Moreau.

I'm not saying he isn't a stuck up, egotistical jerk who feels entitled. All I'm saying is, when you add it all up, you actually have zero concrete evidence that supports that hypothesis. I don't make a habit of believing heresay, which is all you've got. I'm just trying not to jump to conclusions based on zero factual evidence, something all too common on these boards, and among Edmonton fans in general.

Some people believe we never went to the moon, and that the destruction of the World Trade Towers was an inside job by the American government. But they have no proof, just speculation and theories. They have compelling arguments -on the surface- but no proof to back them up.

But, please, if you have some insider information about this team, or Ethan Moreau, feel free to share.

-JH.
You obviously havent been listening to the interviews in question and you are glossing over the points I made in my response to you in order to fit your agenda. I have no malice towards Ethan Moreau or anyone else on the team. I call it as I see it. If that doesnt sit well with you please feel free to use the ignore function.

It is hardly a stretch to take his own words (he doesnt include himself btw) coupled with his selfish on ice play (something that you havent addressed as it doesnt fit into your tidy little box) or the rumours of a split dressing room last year, along with the teams lousy performance and come to the conclusion that his leadership is lacking and behavior is highly questionable.

But you believe what you want to believe. I could care less.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I really can't see him being moved at the draft. Teams seems to hold out on players like him come free agency in hopes of their young players making the team. Only way I see him dealt is if he plays well down the stretch.
The Oilers won't be making the play-offs next year. May as well have him play out most of his contract and hope you can flip him at the trade deadline for a late round pick.

Ditto for Nilsson and O'Sullivan--zero interest in re-signing them.

tiger_80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
JessikaLovejoy

I understand that it's completely convenient for me to pick these 2 instances but oh well. Moreau and Souray on penalties:

Moreau on January 14, 2010 from Edmonton Journal

Quinn wasn't crazy about the timing of it, just after the Oilers made it 4-2.
"It wasn't a good play at all ... that took us out of it (a possible comeback) right away," said Quinn, who was thinking about pulling his goalie for an extra attacker.
But Quinn wasn't dwelling on the play on Wednesday. Neither was Moreau.
"I try to turn pucks over ... I don't give it a second thought," he said about penalties.

Souray on December 22, 2009 from audio on Oilers.com

"I took a penalty yesterday which ended up kinda changing some of the momentum and thatís things you donít want to do. Thereís a fine line between being rough and tumble and being something thatís going to hurt your team."

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Bryanbryoil

Anyone know why he didn't play tonight? Heartbroken that he wasn't dealt?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:59 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Anyone know why he didn't play tonight? Heartbroken that he wasn't dealt?
I believe he was a healthy scratch.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:33 AM
alphahelix

my question is.. what about Pisani? I'm sure there was something on the table??? It may have been low, but he is a UFA. We will probably bring him back on the cheap, I guess... but who knows? Even if we traded him it wouldn't be that suspicious to re-sign him on the cheap considering this is his hometown.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
my question is.. what about Pisani? I'm sure there was something on the table??? It may have been low, but he is a UFA. We will probably bring him back on the cheap, I guess... but who knows? Even if we traded him it wouldn't be that suspicious to re-sign him on the cheap considering this is his hometown.
Im guessing either he wasnt willing to go anywhere due to health reasons and the team respected that, or no one wanted to take a chance on him because of his health.