HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau escapes the axe

Old
03-04-2010, 02:03 AM
mooseisloose11

vCash: 500
the best offer for Moreau was a Blue-ray DVD of Twilight......... not sealed

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
The Captain always goes down with the ship, in a twisted way, I'm happy he doesn't get to go to a contender...

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I believe he was a healthy scratch.
About time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
my question is.. what about Pisani? I'm sure there was something on the table??? It may have been low, but he is a UFA. We will probably bring him back on the cheap, I guess... but who knows? Even if we traded him it wouldn't be that suspicious to re-sign him on the cheap considering this is his hometown.
Maybe Pisani and Comrie get resigned for cheap and that's why Tambo kept them?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:05 AM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Maybe Pisani and Comrie get resigned for cheap and that's why Tambo kept them?
I'd love if we could sign both for =< $2,000,000 combined.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I'd be happier if it were for about $1.7 combined. That said I'm not sure either will be back.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:41 AM
PDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd be happier if it were for about $1.7 combined. That said I'm not sure either will be back.
Largely depends on what management decides to do with Eberle and MPS.

I think it's safe to say that Hall or Seguin will be on the team regardless of anything and everything.

Eberle and MPS are both questionable though.

I'd personally like to see MPS - Lander - Eberle thrown together in the AHL for an entire season... if we're rebuilding we sure as **** shouldn't be rushing anyone.

And if that's the case, then resign the other two guys as stop gaps to one year deals.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Yeah, let him flounder with the rest of 'em. If he's still around in October, I'll be fuming.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Fishy Scales

I think this is one of the rare instances where a buyout is warranted.

We don't need the very small bit of cap room it would cost over the next couple of years anyway, and we sure as hell don't need Moreau in the locker room. Plus we save actual cash, albeit not incredibly much.

Do it.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:29 AM
yukoner88

I made a tongue n cheek comment about a Moreau retirement earlier but I'll post a serious question about it now. The guy was a warrior and plays with his heart on his sleeve. But his body has taken alot of abuse (ankle injuries, the eye injury, neck problems, shoulder injuries) and we've seen in the last 2 or 3 seasons that its taking a serious toll on his ability to compete. With the decline we've seen in his ability to play, do you think that instead of waiving him, or buying him out, would management try to convince him to retire?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
I don't think they will sign either in my opinion. I still like Pisani but Comrie simply doesn't fit the profile anymore (he didn't before the season but we signed him anyways.)

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Mr Sakich

the Oiler org must still like him. I heard that katz just bought him a new Toyota

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the Oiler org must still like him. I heard that katz just bought him a new Toyota

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
One of two things will happen. He'll either get bought out, or traded at the draft along with a pick, to a team desperate for picks. He won't be here next season. The Oilers know he's a pariah now.
We're desperate for picks, so that's not going to happen, and that's why it didn't happen right now.

I think now's the time to analyze the specific mechanics of a buyout and see if it makes sense.

If it doesn't, I am predicting he is buried in the minors next year. As for this season, I imagine he'll be told "you've got 6 weeks to improve your image enough such that we don't have to pay to get rid of you this summer", or maybe they don't even have to say it, and it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
the best offer for Moreau was a Blue-ray DVD of Twilight......... not sealed
I would have pulled the trigger and not even thought twice about it. Watching either Twilight movie would be a hell of a lot better than watching Moreau.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Largely depends on what management decides to do with Eberle and MPS.

I think it's safe to say that Hall or Seguin will be on the team regardless of anything and everything.

Eberle and MPS are both questionable though.

I'd personally like to see MPS - Lander - Eberle thrown together in the AHL for an entire season... if we're rebuilding we sure as **** shouldn't be rushing anyone.

And if that's the case, then resign the other two guys as stop gaps to one year deals.
I wouldn't mind that at all, however I have a feeling that if MPS wants to come over he will be too good to keep off the team in the interim. That and the fact that since they are clearing cap space, they could be looking at going on another ill advised shopping spree in the summer.

Old
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Stoneman89

I know no one will like this, but I see this as the best case scenario. Moreau realizes no one wants him, has an attitude adjusment, and comes out next season and has a solid year, no matter the fortunes of the team, and we get a decent draft pick for him at the deadline. Taking the emotions out, best for everyone involved. We'll still need bodies to play for us, and I can't see a flock of guys dying to come here this summer. The kids will still need time in the minors to develop, and this buys them an extra valuable year. Sadly, same thing with Nilsson and O'Sullivan. I cannot believe they can be worse next year than this, so let them improve their value before dumping them. You guys think this year is bad. At least there was some hope at the beginning. Wait till next year. My prediction is they suck from beginning to end, getting another shot at the #1 overall pick. No negativity here, just realism. It's the medicine we have to take, unfortunately. No quick rebuild here, like some of the cloud dreamers think.

Stoneman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:57 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post
"I don't have a no-trade clause," said Moreau, who has another year left on his contract at $2 million US, which might be problematic to some teams. Most teams rent players at the deadline when their contracts are running out.

But Moreau, the 12th captain in Oilers history, doesn't believe his situation will scare off teams.

"I don't see that. For some teams it might be a bonus because they can get me for next year, too," he said.

- Moreau doesn't agree...
Did you hear that GMs of the NHL? It would be a bonus to have Moreau for an extra year.

Moreau for GM!

I'm sad we had to part ways with Staios while keeping this egomaniac.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Valens

Any confirmation that he was actually injured and not a healthy scratch last game?

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Any confirmation that he was actually injured and not a healthy scratch last game?
I read he was injured (neck) and would be back. (I believe it was in the Journal)

Personally I think he was pouting and you won't convince me otherwise.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Ssseth

If he's not traded before August 4th my guess is he'll be bought out (August 4th is the last day buyouts are allowed for the coming season).

Ssseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
Did you hear that GMs of the NHL? It would be a bonus to have Moreau for an extra year.

Moreau for GM!

I'm sad we had to part ways with Staios while keeping this egomaniac.
Yeah. From making more money, having better teammates around him(he always blamed his teammates when we lost), fans support.... Moreau takes everything for granted and thinks he is entitle to everything.

It's never him that needs to be better, it 's always the fans, his teammates, not him, he is perfect.

That is why we need to get rid of him, he has poisoned the dressing room to a level that no other Captain in the history of this Franchise has ever done before.

Gretzky and Moreau had made the biggest impacts to this Franchise, one being positive, the other being negative. It's like heaven and hell.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
theoil

But I'm positive it was almost unanimous around here that Moreau should be named captain of the team with Staios and Horcoff considered to be the only worthy alternatives.

I remember this because those of us that said it was time to pass the torch to a younger and more skilled player were ridiculed to no end.

This has become a very strange place.

It's almost as though it has followed the team to the bottom of the standings.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
But I'm positive it was almost unanimous around here that Moreau should be named captain of the team with Staios and Horcoff considered to be the only worthy alternatives.

I remember this because those of us that said it was time to pass the torch to a younger and more skilled player were ridiculed to no end.

This has become a very strange place.

It's almost as though it has followed the team to the bottom of the standings.
No.

1. No one would have known how bad a job he would have done as a Captain.

2. For me, i prefer a star player on the team to be the Captain. It's to do with on ice leadership. A captain can talk all he wants in the dressing room, but it comes down to setting an example on ice.

A star Fwd could score some big goals/assists to win a game or tie a game for the team. And once in a while he would go make a bit to inspire his team and challenge other guys to do the same.

A star Defender could shut down other team top guys by great defense and sacrificing his body by playing physical and blocking shots. And once in a while he would score a clutch goal/assist to win a game or turn a game around.

A 3rd or 4th line role Fwd or a 4th or 5th Dmen should never be the Captain because they do not make big impact to games as frequent as a star player.

And if a team cannot find such Star player to have any leadership, time to go find one because this is a bad team and bound to miss the playoff year after year.

Old
03-04-2010, 06:44 PM
theoil

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
1. No one would have known how bad a job he would have done as a Captain.
Really? I could have sworn I predicted that he would be a disaster. It was also when I wrote that MacT had lost me because picking Moreau demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not understand the psychological aspects of his responsibilities as HC.

And I wasn't the only one who foresaw this.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
AK Dandyman

[QUOTE=theoil;24301514]
Quote:

Really? I could have sworn I predicted that he would be a disaster. It was also when I wrote that MacT had lost me because picking Moreau demonstrated beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not understand the psychological aspects of his responsibilities as HC.

And I wasn't the only one who foresaw this.
Good call on your part. I didn't like it when they picked Moreau as Captain.

I was just saying, to be fair to those who thought Moreau was the right guy to be the captain, they wouldn't have know how this guy could have turn for the worse as being a leader. I thought he would not be a good captain but had no idea he would have become one of the worst captains ever in the entire NHL.