HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau escapes the axe

Old
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
But I'm positive it was almost unanimous around here that Moreau should be named captain of the team with Staios and Horcoff considered to be the only worthy alternatives.

I remember this because those of us that said it was time to pass the torch to a younger and more skilled player were ridiculed to no end.

This has become a very strange place.

It's almost as though it has followed the team to the bottom of the standings.
I do not recall (maybe my memory is faulty?) saying he was the best choice for captain. I also do not recall much anything ever being unanimous on this board.

But besides that I think it is fair to say a lot of those that did support the choice at the time. Have slowly soured to him due to his behaviour on the ice and whenever a microphone gets put in front of his face.

Maybe you feel once someone thinks something that when years pass by they should never change their mind and take into consideration situations or events that have happened in the meantime?

Also it would almost seem with those last two lines above that you are painting all of those on the board with the same brush?

Edit - I was trying to think who I wanted to have the captaincy back then and just could not recall. So for the heck out if it. I did a quick search and was surprised how quickly I located a couple pertinent threads.

In this thread (post #6) I was actually pushing for Stoll to wear the C:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...u+made+captain

Though in the thread where he was officially named I did in fact congratulate Moreau (post #2). Though I never said he was my first choice yet clearly I was not upset about it at the time.

Interestingly I see you actually said you are fine with it in that thread (post #11) "I can live with that.":

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Giant Moo

Does Moreau draw into the lineup the rest of the season?

Does he get bought out? Now? Before next season?

Is there a single member of the media who's asking questions about this?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post

I agree with your first point. Now that there is no need to "shop" Moreau's talent does Quinn want this malcontent to continue to "lead" the Oilers for the remainder of the season? I hope he is the first example of the Oilers buying out a name player to remove his cancer from the roster/salary cap. At the least, remove his "C" for the assinine comments made about "performing for the scouts".

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Can he be bought out now? I could be wrong but I don't think that is possible.

But I would agree that if he can not be traded it should happen at the soonest possibility.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

But I would agree that if he can not be traded it should happen at the soonest possibility.
Then waive his arse all the way to the ECHL. Doesn't report? Then he's done (breach of contract). Reports? Let him sulk, and buy him out ASAP.

Old
03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
John Hancock

Quote:

I think he does. Draw back into the lineup, that is. No player deserves to be sat out for the rest of the season, not unless there are some serious issues between that player and management. Since there's been absolutely no public friction between Moreau and the coaching staff reported in the media (and there would be if the friction was serious enough that the coaches didn't want him on the bench), I'd say there's no reason to make a mountain out of a molehill, here.

Likely, Moreau has been playing injured for a while. That's my guess. I'm sure he's not the only one who has been. I would think that the media will have to report something before the game on Friday, especially if Moreau sits out again.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
I think he does. Draw back into the lineup, that is. No player deserves to be sat out for the rest of the season, not unless there are some serious issues between that player and management. Since there's been absolutely no public friction between Moreau and the coaching staff reported in the media (and there would be if the friction was serious enough that the coaches didn't want him on the bench), I'd say there's no reason to make a mountain out of a molehill, here.

Likely, Moreau has been playing injured for a while. That's my guess. I'm sure he's not the only one who has been. I would think that the media will have to report something before the game on Friday, especially if Moreau sits out again.

-JH.
Moreau has been playing with an injured neck for most of the season. He missed 2 days of practice when the players returned to get treatment on his neck. He also missed practice earlier this season to get treatment on his neck.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Moreau, along with a few more vets, will be getting some time in the press box.

Edmonton Sun
Seat cushions, anyone?

They might need a few of them in the press box now that the trade deadline has come and gone.

No longer concerned with having to showcase his veterans to make them more attractive on the open market, Pat Quinn will now turn his attention to the future, at the expense of the past.

That means playing the kids and sitting the vets.

“We’re going to really focus on development, especially our younger guys who we will be going forward with,” said the head coach, who had a sit-down with management to discuss the plan. “With the veterans, it’s going to be an in-and-out (of the lineup) sort of thing while we find out about the kids who warrant going forward.

“As we go forward we’ll even want to look at some guys who are in Springfield, so there might be some guys called up for that. So the guys who logically might not play are the veteran guys.”

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post

Edmonton Sun
Seat cushions, anyone?

They might need a few of them in the press box now that the trade deadline has come and gone.

No longer concerned with having to showcase his veterans to make them more attractive on the open market, Pat Quinn will now turn his attention to the future, at the expense of the past.

“We’re going to really focus on development, especially our younger guys who we will be going forward with,” said the head coach, who had a sit-down with management to discuss the plan. “With the veterans, it’s going to be an in-and-out (of the lineup) sort of thing while we find out about the kids who warrant going forward.

“As we go forward we’ll even want to look at some guys who are in Springfield, so there might be some guys called up for that. So the guys who logically might not play are the veteran guys.”
Yes, it is time for a new regime.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
That's excellent news.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:31 PM
MDupont

Quote:
I agree, but the real message behind it says "we are officially in tank mode".

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

I was listening to a little CHED postgame and Quinn was asked if " Comrie and Moreau were healthy scratches " . To which he replied yes . But then he immediately corrected himself and said " I mean Ethan's still got the shoulder thing , but Mike was a scratch . It could have been any number of guys after the last game but I decided to go with Mike to get some of the new guys into a game " .

630 on your listening dial Moo .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Moreau has been playing with an injured neck for most of the season. He missed 2 days of practice when the players returned to get treatment on his neck. He also missed practice earlier this season to get treatment on his neck.
I didn't know that, thanks for the update.

It's good that they'll be testing out the young kids, and even calling players up from the AHL. I wonder if this means Eberle is going to play the last few games of the season on the NHL club?

-JH.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I was listening to a little CHED postgame and Quinn was asked if " Comrie and Moreau were healthy scratches " . To which he replied yes . But then he immediately corrected himself and said " I mean Ethan's still got the shoulder thing , but Mike was a scratch . It could have been any number of guys after the last game but I decided to go with Mike to get some of the new guys into a game " .

630 on your listening dial Moo .
CHED is the Oiler-branded version of Pravda.

The question is if Moreau continues to be a scratch or not. Time will tell.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Interesting though that he had some of his best games of the season recently. Not to mention he hinted that he might giving it a little extra since he knows scouts are watching. I suspect if he had gotten traded that he would be in the line up for his new team straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
I didn't know that, thanks for the update.

It's good that they'll be testing out the young kids, and even calling players up from the AHL. I wonder if this means Eberle is going to play the last few games of the season on the NHL club?

-JH.
I hope they send him to the AHL again. I am hoping (though I doubt it) that we will take our time a little bit with Eberle (like we should have done with Cogs IMO) and at least play him in the AHL for half, most or even all of next season.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:10 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post

Edmonton Sun
Seat cushions, anyone?

Best news I've heard all season long! Ride the pine you worthless ****s!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:

You're right, no buyouts now. I believe you can only do buyouts during a certain period in the offseason. Buyout should be a last-resort option, given the cap implications.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Then waive his arse all the way to the ECHL. Doesn't report? Then he's done (breach of contract). Reports? Let him sulk, and buy him out ASAP.
We can save it all for the off-season, we might need his considerable "talents" this season for the tank.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
We can save it all for the off-season, we might need his considerable "talents" this season for the tank.
Toxic leadership is a bigger problem.

Old
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I do not recall (maybe my memory is faulty?) saying he was the best choice for captain. I also do not recall much anything ever being unanimous on this board.

But besides that I think it is fair to say a lot of those that did support the choice at the time. Have slowly soured to him due to his behaviour on the ice and whenever a microphone gets put in front of his face.

Maybe you feel once someone thinks something that when years pass by they should never change their mind and take into consideration situations or events that have happened in the meantime?

Also it would almost seem with those last two lines above that you are painting all of those on the board with the same brush?

Edit - I was trying to think who I wanted to have the captaincy back then and just could not recall. So for the heck out if it. I did a quick search and was surprised how quickly I located a couple pertinent threads.

In this thread (post #6) I was actually pushing for Stoll to wear the C:

Though in the thread where he was officially named I did in fact congratulate Moreau (post #2). Though I never said he was my first choice yet clearly I was not upset about it at the time.

Interestingly I see you actually said you are fine with it in that thread (post #11) "I can live with that.":

Moreau, Staios and Horcoff were the overwhelming favourites as I recall. Horcoff was really the only reasonable one of the bunch. I argued long and hard for Hemsky and would still love to see how different this team would look if it had been turned over to youth and talent rather than experience and loyalty.

I had forgotten that I capitulated in the end. Must have been drinking is the excuse I'll try. It was one of those compromise decisions that rarely result in anything good.

As for the whole board being painted. No, there are still some excellent posters here including you. But you must have noticed that there are fewer and fewer of them and that they post less and less.

There is a reason for that.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I hope they send him to the AHL again. I am hoping (though I doubt it) that we will take our time a little bit with Eberle (like we should have done with Cogs IMO) and at least play him in the AHL for half, most or even all of next season.
I hope they take their time with Eberle, too. But it would be nice to get him up for a few games this season, just for him to see what the NHL is like. Let him meet Quinn and Renney, take a couple practices with the team, and get some direction as to what he should be working on over the summer.

-JH.

Old
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Moreau, Staios and Horcoff were the overwhelming favourites as I recall. Horcoff was really the only reasonable one of the bunch. I argued long and hard for Hemsky and would still love to see how different this team would look if it had been turned over to youth and talent rather than experience and loyalty.

I had forgotten that I capitulated in the end. Must have been drinking is the excuse I'll try. It was one of those compromise decisions that rarely result in anything good.

As for the whole board being painted. No, there are still some excellent posters here including you. But you must have noticed that there are fewer and fewer of them and that they post less and less.

There is a reason for that.
Thanks for the response. Clearly I did not have a good memory of the situation either. I did not recall giving such an enthusiastic congratulations. He was not my first choice but obviously my opinion on him has soured greatly since then. I wanted Stoll as captain so I guess we both were hoping for a younger guy.

Do you remember what you were drinking though. It must have been a good night. No worries I know you were pulling for Hemmer for sure. That I do remember.

Yeah I just am not the biggest fan of painting all the posters on the board with a broad brush. I do recall you were not overly impressed with the stat blogger guys were saying the same thing on here after they migrated away for the most part (though they still posted from time to time of course) and started their own new club. Not sure if that is the case here but seems sometimes once a new place is found. Posters look down their nose at time towards their old haunt and those who still haunt it. I would say the signal to noise ratio fluctuates but stays about the same. There have been some regular posters go by the way side. Some I would not minded to have seen stick around others I do not miss one bit. JMO.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 03-05-2010 at 06:29 PM.