HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Stretch Run

Old
03-03-2010, 04:01 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Rangers Stretch Run

I'm tired of trade rumors, talk of tanking, and the like....

Aside of a few minor deals today, hoping Dubi, Cally, Girardi stay put,... I would like to talk about the Rangers annual march to the playoffs.

For the last couple of seasons, we have been in the same predicament of clawing our way to secure a playoff spot. With that experience, as most of you have witnessed, will not only help us down the stretch,... but can also prime us for a playoff run. And before anyone says,.. "I don't want to squeak in, then go one series and out", let me explain.

What if the Rangers are coming together at the most opportune time? 3 in a row without Gabby, coming from behind in all 3, playing great defensively, are really good signs this team is coming together.

Look at Philly,.. everyone had them pegged to lead the east, only to just recently find their way. Ottawa, which no one picked, found their way when all their stars were injured. Not to mention Kovalev, playing poorly. Now look at them! Ok, they didn't look that strong tonight, but maybe they were just rusty off the break.

My point is, no matter how talented (Philly) or not (Ottawa) a team is,... all teams have their ebb and flows. Hell, the defending Stanley Cup Champs are a perfect example of what could happen. And that is,.... that things can turn around in a hurry without any huge change. What did Pitt do to turn it around? Coaching change, add Guerin? That's not much. They just came together, and started playing the kind of hockey they are capable of.

I believe this is what is happening with the Rangers. The Rangers have always been solid defensively when it counted, with Hank leading the way. We have always been a leader in the PK, and that has not changed. Our problem the last few seasons, has been in scoring on the PP and even strength. So we bring in Gabby, still can't score, and everyone screams, sell, tank, fire Slats. Well I say,.. not so fast. Do you not remember the past few years we made the playoffs? Was going 7 with Wash a disaster? Beating the Devils in 5, then losing to the Pens in 6 a catastrophe? Sweeping Atlanta then Drury crushing us, a total loss? I say no. The Pens went to the finals, Buffalo was the President Trophy winner, and the Caps?... well, we can see how good they are this year with the same roster. And we went up against them without Gabby, Prospal and Olli,... a more mature Cally and Dubi. Who led us last year? Zherdev? Gomez? Please... We are in such a better position than years past.

Don't sell this team short. We have played well against the best teams in the league in recent years, and we are definitely stronger this season, and better conditioned.

This is Torts first full year here, and although I don't always agree with his style of coaching (Drury a 4th liner?),... there is one thing he brings to this team. And that is,... the team must be in top condition to go the long haul. That is a trademark of his. And it couldn't be more important, as this team comes together for what I like to call,.... a prelude to the playoffs. The schedule is tough, but isn't it always at this time of year?

The rest is fairly simple,.... beat the teams we will likely meet again in the playoffs.

Lets Go Rangers!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
WOO HELL YEA! haha
..is what the optimist in me would say

the ranger fan in me says...they're going golfing early, might just delay their flights home by a week or so but that's about it lol

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:40 AM
ohbaby

Look, if it was easy,... what would be the fun in that?

This way is much more exciting!

PS... Ranger fan says going fishing early? Is that an oxymoron?

Last edited by ohbaby: 03-03-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old
03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Will Sather sacrifice a bit more of our future for a likely failed run at the cup? Only my crystal ball can tell woooooo

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 04:59 AM
ohbaby

You can never really have the cards stacked the way you like. But I really like our chances based on substance, and a little faith.

Old
03-03-2010, 08:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The time off will surely help the Rangers because of guys like Gilroy (who looked like a different player last night), Anisimov, Del Zotto. Callahan looks like hes absorbed the class of Olympic talent and hit another level of play.

But its only one game. They have some really tough opponents ahead, not to mention all the teams in front of them and around them (expect Montreal) have a game or two in hand. I've been on record in saying they wont make the playoffs and if they do theyll get destroyed by the Caps in the 8th spot. But if they can win 2 out of the next 4, theyll be close to a pace necessary to hit 89-90 points. That might be enough.

I can't wait until today is over so i dont have to feel negative towards this team. I've been so disenchanted the last two months watching them play and defending my position on what I feel the Rangers should do at the deadline and calling for Sathers job. Obviously, im one of those in the sell crowd. But that goes out the window once the deals are made. I have no control over what happens and if they decide to go for it then i gotta support the team.

At least after 3PM (or 5PM-7PM when the Rangers actually announce their trade(s)) I can finally go back to being a supporter of this this current team. All i've been focused on is the future and how that can be drastically effected by the actions of the GM prior to the deadline. So i'll wait and see what happens, gripe about whatever it is and move on.

Whether or not i think theyll make it or not after that doesnt matter, I might as well root for these guys to make it because guys like Cally and Hank deserve to be rewarded for showing up every night. Its just that I've been more concerned about watching Sather fail than actually wanting my team to win and thats when you know things have gotten bad. I've been a fan for over 20 years. I've never ever felt this way before about what is basically a pseudo-religious experience to me every October to April. I've just been so torn up with what has transpired with the management that the focus is no longer on the ice and thats sad.

But like I said, theres nothing i can do about it after 3pm today and after that I can aborb these moves and finally move on and watch some stretch run hockey and be a fan again.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 03-03-2010 at 08:20 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
14 wins in the last 19 games. We nail that slightly unreasonable goal, and we can land 6th place, with Henrik getting 40 wins for the first time.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

To be honest with everyone, I believe the Rangers can (we can; not saying we will...) make an Eastern Conference Finals run. Seriously. We seem to be coming around together at the right time. We've also seen what this system can do for this team and that's dominating games.

The only teams I think we don't matchup well with is, obviously, Pittsburgh and Washington. We can beat Washington. We almost did last year WITHOUT Gaborik. Pittsburgh... No... But it'd be the playoffs. Who knows what can happen, like getting our dicks kicked into the ice or surprisingly win.

Just my opinion, but I think we matchup well with the five other playoff teams and can beat them. Even Buffalo with Miller.

Let's be optimistic here!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
The time off will surely help the Rangers because of guys like Gilroy (who looked like a different player last night), Anisimov, Del Zotto. Callahan looks like hes absorbed the class of Olympic talent and hit another level of play.

But its only one game. They have some really tough opponents ahead, not to mention all the teams in front of them and around them (expect Montreal) have a game or two in hand. I've been on record in saying they wont make the playoffs and if they do theyll get destroyed by the Caps in the 8th spot. But if they can win 2 out of the next 4, theyll be close to a pace necessary to hit 89-90 points. That might be enough.

I can't wait until today is over so i dont have to feel negative towards this team. I've been so disenchanted the last two months watching them play and defending my position on what I feel the Rangers should do at the deadline and calling for Sathers job. Obviously, im one of those in the sell crowd. But that goes out the window once the deals are made. I have no control over what happens and if they decide to go for it then i gotta support the team.

At least after 3PM (or 5PM-7PM when the Rangers actually announce their trade(s)) I can finally go back to being a supporter of this this current team. All i've been focused on is the future and how that can be drastically effected by the actions of the GM prior to the deadline. So i'll wait and see what happens, gripe about whatever it is and move on.

Whether or not i think theyll make it or not after that doesnt matter, I might as well root for these guys to make it because guys like Cally and Hank deserve to be rewarded for showing up every night. Its just that I've been more concerned about watching Sather fail than actually wanting my team to win and thats when you know things have gotten bad. I've been a fan for over 20 years. I've never ever felt this way before about what is basically a pseudo-religious experience to me every October to April. I've just been so torn up with what has transpired with the management that the focus is no longer on the ice and thats sad.

But like I said, theres nothing i can do about it after 3pm today and after that I can aborb these moves and finally move on and watch some stretch run hockey and be a fan again.
I believe this stretch run started with that wild loss to the Caps. It was then when they gained the confidence that they can play with anybody. It was then, Hank adjusted his posture in net with the goalie coach, and has been spectacular ever since. So while I disagree with "it's only one game", I do like your attitude and approach, to the team and to the rest of the season.

BTW, If the schedule was easy, what good would it do to make the playoffs? These upcoming games should serve as a benchmark, and a confidence builder that we could do something in the playoffs. Fleury sat out last night, to be ready for us on Thursday. Bylsma will not make the mistake of taking us lightly again. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Now is time to get the home crowd in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
14 wins in the last 19 games. We nail that slightly unreasonable goal, and we can land 6th place, with Henrik getting 40 wins for the first time.
That's what I figured, maybe even 16-3. I believe there are a few pretenders holding a playoff spot right now. BOS, MTL, OTT, and even PHI. We play the Flyers 3 more times, and we will be looking for blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
To be honest with everyone, I believe the Rangers can (we can; not saying we will...) make an Eastern Conference Finals run. Seriously. We seem to be coming around together at the right time. We've also seen what this system can do for this team and that's dominating games.

The only teams I think we don't matchup well with is, obviously, Pittsburgh and Washington. We can beat Washington. We almost did last year WITHOUT Gaborik. Pittsburgh... No... But it'd be the playoffs. Who knows what can happen, like getting our dicks kicked into the ice or surprisingly win.

Just my opinion, but I think we matchup well with the five other playoff teams and can beat them. Even Buffalo with Miller.

Let's be optimistic here!
Tomorrow could go a long way in thinking we might be able to dethrone the Champs. Give Gabby the nite off, let him rest, we're on a roll without him.

Last edited by ohbaby: 03-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
Tomorrow could go a long way in thinking we might be able to dethrone the Champs. Give Gabby the nite off, let him rest, we're on a roll without him.
2010 Stanley Cup Champs, New York Rangers

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
wereback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
I'm tired of trade rumors, talk of tanking, and the like....

Aside of a few minor deals today, hoping Dubi, Cally, Girardi stay put,... I would like to talk about the Rangers annual march to the playoffs.

For the last couple of seasons, we have been in the same predicament of clawing our way to secure a playoff spot. With that experience, as most of you have witnessed, will not only help us down the stretch,... but can also prime us for a playoff run. And before anyone says,.. "I don't want to squeak in, then go one series and out", let me explain.

What if the Rangers are coming together at the most opportune time? 3 in a row without Gabby, coming from behind in all 3, playing great defensively, are really good signs this team is coming together.

Look at Philly,.. everyone had them pegged to lead the east, only to just recently find their way. Ottawa, which no one picked, found their way when all their stars were injured. Not to mention Kovalev, playing poorly. Now look at them! Ok, they didn't look that strong tonight, but maybe they were just rusty off the break.

My point is, no matter how talented (Philly) or not (Ottawa) a team is,... all teams have their ebb and flows. Hell, the defending Stanley Cup Champs are a perfect example of what could happen. And that is,.... that things can turn around in a hurry without any huge change. What did Pitt do to turn it around? Coaching change, add Guerin? That's not much. They just came together, and started playing the kind of hockey they are capable of.

I believe this is what is happening with the Rangers. The Rangers have always been solid defensively when it counted, with Hank leading the way. We have always been a leader in the PK, and that has not changed. Our problem the last few seasons, has been in scoring on the PP and even strength. So we bring in Gabby, still can't score, and everyone screams, sell, tank, fire Slats. Well I say,.. not so fast. Do you not remember the past few years we made the playoffs? Was going 7 with Wash a disaster? Beating the Devils in 5, then losing to the Pens in 6 a catastrophe? Sweeping Atlanta then Drury crushing us, a total loss? I say no. The Pens went to the finals, Buffalo was the President Trophy winner, and the Caps?... well, we can see how good they are this year with the same roster. And we went up against them without Gabby, Prospal and Olli,... a more mature Cally and Dubi. Who led us last year? Zherdev? Gomez? Please... We are in such a better position than years past.

Don't sell this team short. We have played well against the best teams in the league in recent years, and we are definitely stronger this season, and better conditioned.

This is Torts first full year here, and although I don't always agree with his style of coaching (Drury a 4th liner?),... there is one thing he brings to this team. And that is,... the team must be in top condition to go the long haul. That is a trademark of his. And it couldn't be more important, as this team comes together for what I like to call,.... a prelude to the playoffs. The schedule is tough, but isn't it always at this time of year?

The rest is fairly simple,.... beat the teams we will likely meet again in the playoffs.

Lets Go Rangers!
Hell Ya....finally some positive thoughts....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
ohbaby

Well, with the trade deadline come and gone,... can't help but feel some slight trepidation.

I was hoping at the very least, the Rangers would bolster their backline with a big body presence. Someone to put fear in those who venture into Hanks domain. And there were some big bodies available. Sutton, Alberts, Seidenberg, Ward. But it did not happen. Which baffles me, being they went for 2nd and 3rd round picks. Do we not have any?

Anyway, I do like the way MDZ throws his weight around, but honestly,... he is a defensive liability. Is it a coincidence we have won 3 in a row without him? We have really limited the odd man rushes against in that stretch. Practically eliminated them. I fear they might return when he's healthy. Potter has played well in his absence. Looked great vs Ottawa. You never see a turnover from this guy, and moves the puck quickly up ice. He could be insurance if MDZ doesn't shape up.

But here's where it gets scary. To rely on 3 rookie D-men at crunch time. It's a bold move, but a bit scary. On the bright side,... Glad Slats kept our core of young talent together. Dan Girardi, been mentioned in many trade rumors,... has become our #1 shutdown D-man. Anytime Torts feels the need for D, he pairs him up with Staal for a double dose of shutdown. Dan has been shadowing the best players in the NHL. Had we lost him at the deadline, I doubt we would make the playoffs. So as happy as I am Slats kept his cool,.. I'm a little surprised he has this much confidence in his backline. Cause I find it hard to believe he could not get a deal done to secure one of those mentioned above, for the playoffs.

Onward and upward,... While we stood pat, seems only a couple of teams really did any good at the deadline. Caps and Pens, which is good thing. While the Caps acquired a number of players,... they are still missing a big piece, a quality goaltender. The Pens on the other hand, already have that in Fleury. Add Leopold and Ponikarovsky, and it looks like the Pens want to repeat.

Tomorrows game is looking even bigger with todays events. Can the Rangers rise to the challenge? You bet they can. This will be a huge test going forward.