HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

James "Lights Out" Toney signs w/ UFC

Old
03-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Money May*

vCash: 500
James "Lights Out" Toney signs w/ UFC

41 year old, former middleweight, former super middleweight, former cruiser weight, and former heavy weight champion James Tony signs with the UFC.

As a boxing fan, I dont think his boxing style adjusts well with MMA since he uses the "philly shell" and is flat footed alot. Hope he succeeds in MMA, as well does Ricardo Mayorga (former welter weight boxing champ) who is fighting in MMA now.

Link here

Money May* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
sparr0w

Digging up a marketable opponent for Kimbo? Though Kimbo would be wise not to try and stand and bang with a guy like Toney. Anyone else would simply take Light Out down and have their way with him. Hell, Kimbo might do so himself.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
pox

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to pox
ugg....

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Kimbo is THE boxing killer, he's already submitted a former boxing champion inside the cage.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
El Dandy*

UFC needs more Leon Spinks

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
DeathFromAbove

The UFC should put Toney up against Sylvia in his first bout.. we all know how well Timmy matches up with boxers

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Yeah, saw this earlier today. Dana White, you're too funny.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Celestial Black

Certainly a silly signing.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I understand the idea behind it. The UFC doesn't like that MMA plays second fiddle to boxing, and Dana is recognizing this as an opportunity to show the world that MMA is legit, get some mainstream media attention, without it being too much of a 'freakshow' fight. Although, at Toney's age, you can dress it up however you like, but it's definitely a stunt.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
This is really dumb. MMA is has not advanced to a point in which everything should be about making a buck. I'm a bigger boxing fan than MMA fan, I'll admit. And in my opinion this hurts the UFC's credibility.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I wish Davie and Co. managed to get Mike Tyson into one of the first 5-10 tournaments.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-04-2010, 01:08 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

haha Toney is being coached/managed by Juanito Ibarra, last seen getting dumped as Rampage's manager for basically stealing from him. So a world-class boxer training for MMA decides the thing he needs is... a boxing coach. Can't wait to see Toney exhibit the same great defense against leg kicks as we saw from Rampage in the Forrest fight.

Even better, Juanito is calling out Kimbo and the previously announced Kimbo/Mitrione fight is now suspiciously absent on the UFC 113 official page.

I don't really give a crap because neither guy will ever contend so you may as well make some $$$ by putting them in the same ring, but Dana is still a huge hypocrite for doing this after ripping Strikeforce for bringing in Walker. Actually I read somewhere that one of the main reasons he signed Toney was that he was rumored to be in discussions with Strikeforce

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Even better, Juanito is calling out Kimbo and the previously announced Kimbo/Mitrione fight is now suspiciously absent on the UFC 113 official page.

I was just going to post the same thing. Honestly, I hope it's true for selfish reasons. I'll be at the Montreal card and had ZERO interest in Kimbo/Meathead, getting to see James Toney would be much more pleasing (regardless of the freakshow).

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll just keep him off the card and add some more credible matchups to the maincard.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:05 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
and the previously announced Kimbo/Mitrione fight is now suspiciously absent on the UFC 113 official page.
I was just looking at the UFC 113 page a couple of days ago and Kimbo/Mitrione wasn't on it then either, so it wasn't taken off unless they put it on yesterday or something and took it off today

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:32 PM
kurt
the last emperor

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma,225848

Old
03-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I was just looking at the UFC 113 page a couple of days ago and Kimbo/Mitrione wasn't on it then either, so it wasn't taken off unless they put it on yesterday or something and took it off today
Since the 1st day the UFC 113 event link was posted i've been looking for when they would make official the Kimbo / Mitrione match, it has never been posted.

As for the signing itself, pretty good sining if you ask me, Toney has a name in the business, successful or not, it has potential to attract more people to the UFC universe.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Anyone catch him on Inside MMA last night?

Punch drunk would be an understatement. Amidst the stutters, he basically said he wants Brock Lesnar right out of the gate. He called Fedor a one dimensional fighter, and said Anderson Silva would be wise to stay at 185 rather than come up to 205 to fight Toney. Then again, what should we really expect from a man who got up in front of an athletic commission and started swearing like someone afflicted with tourette's.

Ray Mercer was there as well. He at least came off a bit respectful.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Anyone catch him on Inside MMA last night?

Punch drunk would be an understatement. Amidst the stutters, he basically said he wants Brock Lesnar right out of the gate. He called Fedor a one dimensional fighter, and said Anderson Silva would be wise to stay at 185 rather than come up to 205 to fight Toney. Then again, what should we really expect from a man who got up in front of an athletic commission and started swearing like someone afflicted with tourette's.

Ray Mercer was there as well. He at least came off a bit respectful.
I'll have to check it, my PVR should have grabbed it. Every boxing fan I've talked to has said that Toney is done. No one seems to think this signing is going to help the UFC or the sport of MMA gain any new respect from boxing fans.

Old
03-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Captain_Cunney

I caught it and you're bang on about the "punch drunk" comment. 60% of the time I had no idea what he was babl'n about. The comment about Fedor being "scared" and never being hit was almost as a laughable as him calling out Brock and Anderson.

The highlight of the show was Freddie Roach basically saying he has no chance at doing anything in MMA. Toney needs to take some lessons on being humble from Mercer, who has a KO over a former UFC HW champ but yet didn't speak the stupidity like Toney.

Old
03-15-2010, 02:36 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

James Toney vs. Minowaman vs. Fedor vs. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker in the ultimate 5-way deathmatch.

I call Minowaman.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:

This is like some winos yelling near the alcohol stores...

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Captain_Cunney

WBA Heavyweight Champ David Haye has a reality check for Mr. Toney:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haye
Six months of training isn’t going to be enough," Haye said. "As a UFC fan, I know two or three years wouldn’t be enough. How many times has Toney sprawled in his life? 500? How many leg kicks has he taken in his life? 300? How many Kimura attempts has he defended? 140? Even if he’s done double that amount, he wouldn’t have nearly the experience needed to win a UFC fight."

"I know from training in MMA myself that the wrestling aspect ruins your punching power," Haye said. "After a minute of grappling, your arms, back and shoulders fill with blood and even if you then find space to throw punches, your power is suddenly crap.

"And I hit a lot harder and I’m so much faster than James, and I couldn’t land a punch on fighters when all they wanted to do was take me down to the ground. James is a much more static fighter than I am, and is going to get thrown on his back immediately by Randy. I admire Toney’s spirit and boxing skills. But he’s delusional here.
This is a refreshing take on the Boxing/MMA debate.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I was amazed a commission would even allow this fight to happen.