HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goaltending in the Playoffs Thread

Old
04-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

vCash: 500
The Goaltending in the Playoffs Thread

Disclaimer: I am a Luongo supporter. This thread is hypothetical in nature.

Let's say the 2010 playoffs have begun.

How underwhelming does Luongo's performance have to be before you consider starting Andrew Raycroft? Two bad games in a row? Three? More? Or do you even pull Luongo at all?

Hopefully (and most likely) the Canucks will not have this problem, but I would like to know some peoples' "threshold" if you will.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Slapshot_11

3 games

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
endlessdream83

It depends on what happens in the last few games of the season. If Luongo rebounds brilliantly starting tomorrow, then he gets a fairly long rope in the playoffs. If Luongo continues to be a sieve for EVERY game leading up to the playoffs, as much as I hate to say it, they might have to look at starting Raycroft in the FIRST game (or only give Luongo one playoff game to see if his mind gets back on track).

All things being equal, I think Luongo will have some good games before the season ends, although I don't know if he'll go from bad to amazing in the space of only a game or two. If we go into the playoffs in 3rd place, as we should, and Luongo has a bad first two games, then start Raycroft in the 3rd game. Don't wait until the 4th game because if Luongo has a bad first three, we're already toast anyway, and putting Raycroft in becomes a mercy flag rather than a shake-up.

(On that note, I never understood why any team in a playoff series would wait three FULL games before replacing the #1 goalie if he's not playing well; even two full games is a bit charitable for a situation where immediate results are needed.)

endlessdream83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
He have to LOSE 3 games for the Canucks. Over the last couple weeks Luongo has still been good late in the 3rd/when it counts. (when he's made it there...)

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
One bad game. That's it. The crap he's pulling now should be taken into consideration.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
opendoor

Barring injury or an unprecedented meltdown, Luongo will start every Canucks playoff game.

opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Disclaimer: I am a Luongo supporter. This thread is hypothetical in nature.

Let's say the 2010 playoffs have begun.

How underwhelming does Luongo's performance have to be before you consider starting Andrew Raycroft? Two bad games in a row? Three? More? Or do you even pull Luongo at all?

Hopefully (and most likely) the Canucks will not have this problem, but I would like to know some peoples' "threshold" if you will.
You ride him all the way, no matter what. He is our captain and our bread and butter.

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Tiranis

Like Lundqvist in 05-06, he'll likely have to have 3 bad games in a row to be replaced by Raycroft. If it's been 6 games and Luongo's had 3 bad ones, he's starting in that game 7.

So basically: not much chance of Raycroft seeing net in the playoffs — unless of course Luongo has a case of diarrhea in OT.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
You ride him all the way, no matter what. He is our captain and our bread and butter.

The worm has turned in Vancouver and the best goalie for the Canucks right now is Andrew Raycroft. The playoffs are not the time to kiss Luongo's %@% in order to prop up his ego. If Luongo doesn't get it going, and get it going fast, I'm all for going with Raycroft as the starter. The success of the Canucks team, and the drive to win the Stanley Cup should be first and foremost in the eyes of Canucks management and coaching, not worrying about if Luongo gets offended.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post

The worm has turned in Vancouver and the best goalie for the Canucks right now is Andrew Raycroft. The playoffs are not the time to kiss Luongo's %@% in order to prop up his ego. If Luongo doesn't get it going, and get it going fast, I'm all for going with Raycroft as the starter. The success of the Canucks team, and the drive to win the Stanley Cup should be first and foremost in the eyes of Canucks management and coaching, not worrying about if Luongo gets offended.
So your telling me that you think that Luongo won't play every game in the playoffs, is that right? Is that really what your telling me? Care to make a little wager?

Kid Canuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
timw33

Quote:

Who do you honestly think we have a better chance of winning the cup with?

Andrew Raycroft....or Roberto Luongo.

You have to hitch your wagon to one of these guys. Sure Raycroft may be able to miraculously win 1 series, but 4? Not a chance in hell.

We will fail or succeed with Luongo, and we've all known that ever since he came to Vancouver.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:21 PM
opendoor

Quote:

I'm having trouble telling if you're serious. Assuming you are, you honestly think Raycroft gives the Canucks a better chance at a long playoff run than Luongo?

opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
So your telling me that you think that Luongo won't play every game in the playoffs, is that right? Is that really what your telling me? Care to make a little wager?
Does him continuing to get pulled more regularly than an old man at a massage parlor count in my favour?

Old
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

Quote:
Chairman Maouth
Typical Canucks fan

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
timw33

Quote:

You have to hitch your wagon to one of these guys. Sure Raycroft may be able to miraculously win 1 series, but 4? Not a chance in hell.

We will fail or succeed with Luongo, and we've all known that ever since he came to Vancouver.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:37 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I still dont know if he's being serious or not

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:39 PM
keslehr*

Unless Luongo has a complete collapse and is blown out in consecutive games, the Canucks should ride him the whole way.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post

Based on current play - Raycroft. Anyone who doesn't think that is blind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I'm having trouble telling if you're serious. Assuming you are, you honestly think Raycroft gives the Canucks a better chance at a long playoff run than Luongo?
Same answer.

You give Luongo a short leash in the playoffs. How long would you prefer he continue to suck and piss away any Stanley Cup hopes? You've only got 4 games to decide because that's all it takes and we're finished.

I fell off the Luongo bandwagon a little over a week ago when a third string backup for the Oilers grossly outplayed our captain and multi-million dollar man. Luongo has been dreadful the last couple of months. If you guys want to blindly hitch your horse to the Luongo bandwagon and continue to play him no matter how what level of suckage he manages to achieve, and you're willing to piss away any cup chances in doing so, then winning the Stanley Cup doesn't mean as much to you guys as it does it to me. Give him a leash, but a very short one. I'd even sit him right now until the Calgary game. Let him get some rest and let him regroup. Do the same thing with Daniel and Sammi.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Here is an article by Iain MacIntyre where he interviews Luongo. Luongo says it is not a mechanical problem so that leaves mental issues.
Quote:
If he plays until the end of the regular season, Luongo is down to four starts to try to fix what has been wrong for more than two months.

"I don't think it's anything mechanical," Luongo said Friday.

"There are issues, but I'm just trying to do my job. Just do the best I can. It's hard to understand. I play two games where I feel good, then I practise and feel good, then I play another game [Thursday] and that happens.

"I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. This has never happened to me in my career with every second or third or fourth game being a bad night. At a certain point, you start wondering what's going on."

Most people probably reach that point a while ago.

One of the best and most consistent goalies for the past decade, Luongo has struggled in the NHL since allowing three goals on eight shots Jan. 30 in Toronto, where he was pulled after one period in the nationally-televised Saturday game.

Since then, Luongo is 9-8-1, has allowed at least three goals in 11 of 18 starts and has been hooked three more times by coach Alain Vigneault. Luongo should have been yanked in Los Angeles, too, when the score reached 5-0 halfway through the second period during the 8-3 loss.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...491/story.html

Luongo needs to get his head straight or this could be a very short post-season run.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Honestly, if Luongo had played the exact same game as Raycroft did last night, people would be whining. There are completely different expectations for Luongo than Raycroft. While Raycroft hasn't had as bad of a game as the LA one, he hasn't had as good of a game as Luongo vs. Phoenix either.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

And you guys can't possibly post very often in the GDT's here. If you did, you would know I'm not alone in my opinion.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Luongo needs to get his head straight or this could be a very short post-season run.
Exactly.

And I'm not willing to give him enough rope to hang the entire team.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Laughable.

Who would ever though anyone would ask this question.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
And you guys can't possibly post very often in the GDT's here. If you did, you would know I'm not alone in my opinion.
Using GDTs to defend an argument is pathetic. Reactionary comments prove nothing other than people grossly over-exaggerate in the heat of the moment.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
If Luongo is sub-par but the team is winning, you keep riding him and hope the switch flips.

If Luongo is sub-par and we go down 2 games, you keep riding him because we're almost certainly ****ed anyway and Luongo is more likely to pull a pair of miracles out of his arse than is Raycroft.

For better or worse, Luongo is the guy this playoffs. Let's all pull for him to get his crap together!