HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

offseason predictions

Old
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbyfan20 View Post
I don't think I have ever heard a fan say " I hope my team misses the playoffs". Yes, obviously Joe Thornton makes our team better in the regular season but he doesn't do crap in the playoffs. It just doesn't seem like Joe T even cares. ANd you can say the same thing about all the other core players, " if nabokov leaves, if marleau leaves, if boyle leaves". Some day or another, we have to rebuild and start another core that knows how to WIN in the Playoffs. And maybe trading Joe Thornton in his prime. We could be getting 3-4 young guys instead of Trading him when he is around 35-37 years old. Where we would be getting 1-2 young players.

I would think the most desperate team would be the Edmonton Oilers. THey were willing to part with Cogs( Cogliano), Gagner, I was hoping they held on Grebeshkov and maybe a first. Or does Ron Wilson want him back? =p

And hopefully we can resign Pavs, Seto and sign a goalie. I don't think Greiss is ready to be a Starting Goalie just yet. And resign Marleau. And maybe the Caps are willing to get Nabokov's rights and trade him on draft day.

If the Sharks lose in the early rounds. I think Wilson and T.M. gets fired.
I'm kind of tired of Joe's attitude as well. If he cannot be a difference maker this year then I think he should be traded. If he does step it up though, show fight every night, move his feet, drive to the net, then I will be singing his praises.

The fact is, this is probably the last chance for some of our biggest names. Nabby, Marleau, Thornton, DW, Blake, and maybe McClellan. If we fail this year, it's in the realm of possibility that we won't see any of them back next season (though I doubt that).

I wonder what we would do with 22.2m in cap space heh.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:24 AM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm kind of tired of Joe's attitude as well. If he cannot be a difference maker this year then I think he should be traded. If he does step it up though, show fight every night, move his feet, drive to the net, then I will be singing his praises.

The fact is, this is probably the last chance for some of our biggest names. Nabby, Marleau, Thornton, DW, Blake, and maybe McClellan. If we fail this year, it's in the realm of possibility that we won't see any of them back next season (though I doubt that).

I wonder what we would do with 22.2m in cap space heh.
Yeah, thats what i'm sick of too. If it doesn't seem like your trying, get off this team. I want Joe to hustle, I want Joe to actually Try to skate at least. I agree with your post in every single way.

I think Nabokov is gone either way, Thornton is gone if he doesn't show heart or if he doesn't produce. Thats probably the only reason I would want Thornton gone. I'm sure Marleau is resigned, Blake retires.

Eh, we will see once the season is over, what will happen to this team. It should be a very intresting Off season thats for sure.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
I don't think I have ever heard a fan say " I hope my team misses the playoffs". Yes, obviously Joe Thornton makes our team better in the regular season but he doesn't do crap in the playoffs. It just doesn't seem like Joe T even cares. ANd you can say the same thing about all the other core players, " if nabokov leaves, if marleau leaves, if boyle leaves". Some day or another, we have to rebuild and start another core that knows how to WIN in the Playoffs. And maybe trading Joe Thornton in his prime. We could be getting 3-4 young guys instead of Trading him when he is around 35-37 years old. Where we would be getting 1-2 young players.

If the Sharks lose in the early rounds. I think Wilson and T.M. gets fired.
For ownership, most profits occur via the Playoffs so, with Joe getting us there and, not much help or support at all from any secondary scoring or beyond that (as we as Sharks fans know that, Pav's, Clowe, Patty, Naby and others fail much more miserably compared to what many continue to pen on big Joe) thus, ownerships will do anything to at least make the playoffs to get some return. Joe/Heater/Patty/ regular season Naby (although, I think he is gone this summer--too much wanted) guarantees we will make it and so, the ownership makes some return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
if the sharks ever do trade thornton, i really hope the sharks miss the playoffs the next season. so all the fans could finally then realize just what thornton means to the team.
I cannot agree with you more. Just like the Bruins did when they moved him. Hmmm, have they won the cup yet, with all that they saved and were able to buy and draft etc etc etc etc???????????

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
DW is not fired, which means Marleau and Nabby are resigned, as is Blake (we need his leadership). However, the young players and bottom liners will be shipped out, or not resigned, as we need "changes."

No, I'm just kidding, I agree with whoever said Wilson will be fired.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
hockeyball

As an experiment, lets see what the team looks like without Thornton, Nabby, Blake (we'll assume Marleau is kept at 6.5m)

Also since we are assuming no cup here, I will take out Malhotra and Wallin

Marleau (6.5m) - X - Heatley
Clowe - Pavs (4.0m) - Seto(3.0m)
Mcginn - X - Mitchell
Staubitz - Nichol - Ortmeyer

Boyle - X
X - Vlasic
Murray - Huskins

X
Greiss

Cap Space (est): 13.8m

So that's 13.8m to sign 5 players (min). If we fill in with probably call-ups:

Heatley - Marleau - Seto
Mcginn- Pavs - Clowe
Mitchell - Couture - Ferriero

Boyle - Moore
Demers - Vlasic
Murray - Huskins

Greiss
Stalock

Cap Space: 10.5m

That leaves us over 10m to add a Nabby replacement, and upgrade the top 6 and/or D. Even so, I think that team has a shot at making the playoffs as is. I don't think JT is as integral to this team as he once was, and I think that is DW's plan.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
As an experiment, lets see what the team looks like without Thornton, Nabby, Blake (we'll assume Marleau is kept at 6.5m)

Also since we are assuming no cup here, I will take out Malhotra and Wallin

Marleau (6.5m) - X - Heatley
Clowe - Pavs (4.0m) - Seto(3.0m)
Mcginn - X - Mitchell

Boyle - X
X - Vlasic
Murray - Huskins

X
Greiss

Cap Space (est): 13.8m

So that's 13.8m to sign 5 players (min). If we fill in with probably call-ups:

Heatley - Marleau - Seto
Mcginn- Pavs - Clowe
Mitchell - Couture - Ferriero

Boyle - Moore
Demers - Vlasic
Murray - Huskins

Greiss
Stalock

Cap Space: 10.5m

That leaves us over 10m to add a Nabby replacement, and upgrade the top 6 and/or D. Even so, I think that team has a shot at making the playoffs as is. I don't think JT is as integral to this team as he once was, and I think that is DW's plan.
My friend, you know I don't disagree with you too much but with this, Patty would be totally lost. He would be lost without Joe as he has shown so many times previous to this season. Yes, he has some goals without Joe's direct assist but, a lot of this is due to more direct marking via opposition defense on big Joe and the Heater, leaving much more open space for Patty, which we can all see how he is benefitting from this season.

I wouldn't want to bank on my team offensive leader being Patty.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
My friend, you know I don't disagree with you too much but with this, Patty would be totally lost. He would be lost without Joe as he has shown so many times previous to this season. Yes, he has some goals without Joe's direct assist but, a lot of this is due to more direct marking via opposition defense on big Joe and the Heater, leaving much more open space for Patty, which we can all see how he is benefitting from this season.

I wouldn't want to bank on my team offensive leader being Patty.
Again, i wasn't endorsing it, just an experiment. Plus, I filled the open holes and saw what salary was left for upgrades. That roster was simply the roster without acquiring anyone, and It's not too bad. I didn't say it was good enough, just not that bad. With over 10m you could pickup Savard in the off season, or Price/Halak, Hamhuis, Volchenkov, etc etc. Add Savard into that roster for a for instance and that team becomes a very serious contender.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Again, i wasn't endorsing it, just an experiment. Plus, I filled the open holes and saw what salary was left for upgrades. That roster was simply the roster without acquiring anyone, and It's not too bad. I didn't say it was good enough, just not that bad. With over 10m you could pickup Savard in the off season, or Price/Halak, Hamhuis, Volchenkov, etc etc. Add Savard into that roster for a for instance and that team becomes a very serious contender.
Wouldn't it be funny? if we do trade Thornton, and we pick up Savard to replace Thornton. THat would be the second time in his career that he would have replaced Thornton.

I would like to have Halak. Halak impressed me in the tournament. Wouldn't it be nice to have Boyle\ Volchenkov or Hamhuis.

And watching Huskins skate, is absoutely horrible. He has to be the slowest skater in the Nhl. We should get rid of Huskins. I don't know the rest of the free agents at the end of the year.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Rickety Cricket

The Sharks will exit the playoffs early, people will be angry, there will be a state of the Sharks meeting where people will cheer them (perhaps cry again), we will be promised that we will see a new JT and that next season will be different, then they will make some sort of splash in the offseason

Then all of this repeats next year.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny? if we do trade Thornton, and we pick up Savard to replace Thornton. THat would be the second time in his career that he would have replaced Thornton.

I would like to have Halak. Halak impressed me in the tournament. Wouldn't it be nice to have Boyle\ Volchenkov or Hamhuis.

And watching Huskins skate, is absoutely horrible. He has to be the slowest skater in the Nhl. We should get rid of Huskins. I don't know the rest of the free agents at the end of the year.
He's not even the slowest skater on our D

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

It's a bummer our fan base has turned into nothing but negativity and negative thought about the future.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
It's a bummer our fan base has turned into nothing but negativity and negative thought about the future.
Safety reflex :\

I am actually fairly positive about the future. I think we've got some great prospects and young players. I am just negative about this season. I have seen no attitude change what-so-ever that leads me to believe this season will be any different.

Old
03-04-2010, 03:20 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Can I get in on the "trading Joe T." idea? What would San Jose potentially want from Columbus? There is a good chance Filatov would be on the table.

Nash and JT played together in Switzerland and did very well together.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
It is a bummer. I think focusing on all the negative makes us forget about the positive. I know it's easy to get into the mind frame that the Sharks haven't changed but the matter of the fact is that the playoffs aren't here and as anyone knows...in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen. Two years ago the Sharks were dominate the last 20 games of the season heading into the playoffs. As soon as we hit Calgary, the Sharks struggled in the playoffs. Lets just enjoy this winning season while we're at it and let it unfold.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:46 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
It is a bummer. I think focusing on all the negative makes us forget about the positive. I know it's easy to get into the mind frame that the Sharks haven't changed but the matter of the fact is that the playoffs aren't here and as anyone knows...in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen. Two years ago the Sharks were dominate the last 20 games of the season heading into the playoffs. As soon as we hit Calgary, the Sharks struggled in the playoffs. Lets just enjoy this winning season while we're at it and let it unfold.
It doesn't help that half the team seems to be in a major funk at the moment.

Marleau is on one hell of a schnide
Thornton is playing some terrible transition hockey.
Vlasic is injured, and we are all skeptical of his recovery.
Blake has gone from old, to decrepit in one season
Until last night Seto was on the Schnide.

It's been a tough bunch of seasons and I think people, including myself, are just apt to be more skeptical. Nothing wrong with that, the Sharks certainly deserve it.

Old
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
coooldude

RE: the fanbase negativity, it's tough, but I just haven't been able to shake the feeling all year that this team has seen its best years and best cup chances already.

Sure, we're near the top of the league in points, and sure, anything can happen in the playoffs, and granted, there's still a lot of time for this team to turn around, but I see us slipping and I see an unsustainable cap situation. Another massive failure isn't going to be tolerable and Doug will probably be gone... then, the new GM will and probably should blow up the core.

I'd love to see a quick transition to being a top team again, but I don't see it. And if you're not a top team, you're just playing dice to try to streak your way deep. I'd rather be a Detroit than a Tampa Bay, and I just feel like we're moving from looking like one to looking like the other.

Prediction: blow the team up this summer and rebuild, and we'll make the playoffs as a 5-8 seed the following year. Whatever team Joe Thornton or Patrick Marleau goes to will win their division and go to the conference finals.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
the cap is easily sustainable without just destroying the team. just can't keep the entire team together is all. but that is just common sense, and every one knew that was coming as soon as the cap was announced.

i will guarantee, this offseason 1 of marleau and nabby are gone, if not both.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
It doesn't help that half the team seems to be in a major funk at the moment.

Marleau is on one hell of a schnide
Thornton is playing some terrible transition hockey.
Vlasic is injured, and we are all skeptical of his recovery.
Blake has gone from old, to decrepit in one season
Until last night Seto was on the Schnide.

It's been a tough bunch of seasons and I think people, including myself, are just apt to be more skeptical. Nothing wrong with that, the Sharks certainly deserve it.
Oh no. I think it's more than fine to be skeptical. Totally agree on every point you made as well. I'm a huge skeptic. But at the same time I think there's a difference between being skeptical and sky is falling bat**** crazy which I was referring to.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:33 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
if the sharks ever do trade thornton, i really hope the sharks miss the playoffs the next season. so all the fans could finally then realize just what thornton means to the team.
With Nichol's heart, Mitchell's speed and Murray's physicality, we'll make the playoffs easily.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
I spend all my time here in Michigan mocking the Sharks before my friends get to. The last three years have been....difficult surrounded by Red Wings.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Can I get in on the "trading Joe T." idea? What would San Jose potentially want from Columbus? There is a good chance Filatov would be on the table.

Nash and JT played together in Switzerland and did very well together.
Maybe you can include Steve mason?

But, really I haven't payed any attention to the BJ's young core or farm system. so i don't know.

If doug Wilson is fired, maybe we contact someone named Steve Yzerman?

I do think we have a good future, just like I said before maybe the Core needs to switch. And this would be the best time since Joe Thornton is in his prime and can bring tons of young players, we can trade Nabokov's rights to a team or Marleau's Rights.

Old
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
my my what a loaded question. everything that happens hinges on playoff performance, but i believe a few things should be done regardless of how we finish.

Marleau, Nichol, and Malhotra all need to be signed. I want to see Marleau finish his career as a shark. I grew up watching him develop and now flourish and would love nothing more than to see him finish his career here. Nichol and Malhotra are solid players at basement salaries now we must resign them. and now the if's...

Win SC:
re-sign nabby, extend joe, give seto a 4/5 yr deal.
let blake go, maybe sign wallin and probably nothing with huskins even though he is hot garbage. leach goes as well.

Lose in playoffs:
Nabby signs with the caps, trade joe thornton for young talent (can i get more vague?) blake, wallin, huskins, leach, staubitz all gone. Build from your blue line up and start rebuilding with JAROSLOV HALAK as the man in goal. make it happen dw?

EDIT: maybe even price as a next goalie after his performance last night? i witnessed it first hand and it was extremely impressive. either way mtl has two number one goalies and we will be in need of one this offseason.

Last edited by Wedontneedroads: 03-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Thepainter

I would love to see them let Nabby walk. As good as he is, he is unable to elevate his game to the next level when needed.

Joe Thornton is a tough decision... I can't see the Sharks trading him. I just can't.

I want Marleau here for life. Enough said.

Pavs and Seto need to be resigned.

Boyle/Murray/Demers/Vlasic would be my 4 defense I'd keep. Def. need to sign a top 4.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Joe Thornton is a tough decision... I can't see the Sharks trading him. I just can't.
If they fail in the playoffs early again and if they can sign someone like savy in Boston. He is as good as gone.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
rideaucrusher21

I hope DW doesn't overpay the RFA's like he did last year. Clowe is not worth 3.7 mil on the open market. And if he is, then take the compensatory draft picks. DW will hopefully learn this year and not overpay Pavs or Seto. DW is freaking out over the year the Oilers went nuts with those RFA offer sheets. I don't think that will happen again, but if it does, take the picks. We have couture to replace either pavs or seto if they want to sign some absurd 4+ million dollar contract.

I know DW is known as a 'players' gm. But he's got to play hardball with some of these rfas. Pay them what the market says they're worth. Not what they want.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote