HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Free Agents

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
No Canaduh!

vCash: 500
Free Agents

Yeah, I'm not Torts. I'm looking to next season (if there is one.) Tampa Bay is gonna look mighty attractive. I know Toronto's got a few that look good, namely Gary Roberts.

What do y'all think?

(going crazy 'til tomorrow night...)

Old
06-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Sotnos

We have to worry about re-signing all the guys whose contracts are up first.

And that avatar gives me a headache, can you slow it down some? Please?

Old
06-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Canaduh!
Yeah, I'm not Torts. I'm looking to next season (if there is one.) Tampa Bay is gonna look mighty attractive. I know Toronto's got a few that look good, namely Gary Roberts.

What do y'all think?

(going crazy 'til tomorrow night...)
I would hate to see Roberts sign here. I can't stand the diving and Tortorella is on record bashing Roberts for it.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:51 PM
petec1978*

I think the XO sniper would relish the chance to shoot him regularly.

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Hoek

I think it's clear we're looking at another uneventful offseason for UFA signings. Our payroll is gonna be bumped up a lot by our current talent as is. Unless we fail to re-sign someone I doubt we will be scrounging for any mercenary talent.

Old
06-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek
I think it's clear we're looking at another uneventful offseason for UFA signings. Our payroll is gonna be bumped up a lot by our current talent as is. Unless we fail to re-sign someone I doubt we will be scrounging for any mercenary talent.
And for once I'm not worried about it. The only UFA I'm really worried about is Cullimore, and I think Nolan Pratt's performance in the playoffs, combined with the estimated 45 mil payroll, may mean TB can't match what he could get on the open market.

If we can resign our own - I think we're in good shape. If Andreychuk retires, I think you may see us go after a Mike Sillinger or Yannic Perreault. Most likely Sillinger.

For the record, accoring to the latest THN:

RFAs:

Afanasenkov (cha-ching ... possible 1-year deal, IMO)
Cibak
Clymer (bye-bye?)
Dingman (I admit underappreciating him, but if money becomes tight, Roy's playoff performance could be looked to)
Fedotenko (cha-ching x2)
Kubina (cha-ching x3 - All-Star and led dmen in goals + playoff shutdown guy = a nice paycheck)
Modin (cha-ching x3 - and it won't be another one-year deal)
Neckar (bye-bye)
Pratt (a little cha-ching)
St. Louis (cha-ching x10 - Hart + Art Ross = TB's highest paid player, including Khabi?)
Sarich (cha-ching)
Stillman (cha... well, you look at his regular season numbers if you're his agent, at his PO numbers if you're Feaster)

UFAs:

Andreychuk (There's a two-fold possibility he retires. I hope the first half of that is true, and the 2nd half [no hockey next year] is not true) If he wants to play, he'll be back in TB.
Cullimore (cha ching... though suitors will look to injury history)
Rumble (bye-bye)

Club Option:

Khabibulin is due a 6.5 mil salary next year.

Re: Gary Roberts...

It'd be nice to have him in another physical series like this one, but his cost + Tortorella giving him the Greg Louganis award = no contract in TB.

Old
06-03-2004, 09:33 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Eric Perrin has a club option in his contract for next season. If Tampa Bay wants to use that option it will make Perrin's contract a one way deal. Not sure about the money though.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Eric Perrin has a club option in his contract for next season. If Tampa Bay wants to use that option it will make Perrin's contract a one way deal. Not sure about the money though.
According to our handy dandy player contract status thread, the option is for around $350K.

So many guys to sign, I had forgotten about Sarich, Cibak and Affy. A lot of those contracts are going to hurt, but such is the price of success! Only one "real" UFA is good (I have no doubts that if Dave wants to play, he'll play here), would love to see Cully stay, of course. Will be a very interesting summer.

06-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon
I would hate to see Roberts sign here. I can't stand the diving and Tortorella is on record bashing Roberts for it.
I would like to see some proof of this.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:02 PM
1Timer

" ..it was like [Roberts] was shot from the XO Club...he almost got hurt the way he dove."

I'll find the whole article, or someone's got it bookmarked. I grabbed that from Chad's sig.

Old
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Oceanic39*

Link #1

Quote:
When Toronto's Gary Roberts drew an interference penalty on defenseman Jassen Cullimore with what appeared to be an obvious dive, well, that, Tortorella said, was a disgrace.

But it was Owen Nolan's power-play goal 5:09 into the period, with Cullimore in the penalty box, that made the score 4-3 and, as Tortorella said, "gets the ball rolling."

"I think there has to be legislation in this league to make the dive a major penalty, and sometimes even discretion to kick the guy out," Tortorella said. "It's disgraceful for the game and puts the referees in an embarrassing position.

"Gary Roberts is an absolute warrior. ... I probably have more respect for him than a lot of players in this league because of the way he's played for so long. But to me, that play, it was like he was shot from the XO Club; loses his stick, he almost got hurt by the way he dove. For that to be in the game is wrong. And that's what really eats at me right now. And then they score on the power play."
Link #2

Quote:
"[Diving's] an insult to everybody involved in this game," Tortorella said. "I said that about Gary Roberts in Toronto. He has been a warrior in this game, and he is probably the best diver in the league right now. And it's wrong. They need to put legislation in our rule book. And just kick them out of the game. There is no place for that."

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-03-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

From the Dallas Morning News, Mike Heika talking at length with Jay Feaster, on June 3, 2004. Feaster mentions ballpark payroll increases expected for 2004-05:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...ede.a96d2.html

"Feaster estimates that keeping this Lightning team together will cost an additional $10 million to $13 million in contracts for next season. "

All in all, the article as a whole is an interesting look at the sort of dilemma that a lot of southern US markets in the NHL face, selling the game, rewarding players for success following deep playoff runs, yet gauging the market and maintaining fiscal responsibility. Heika's a rather good columnist.

Old
06-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
"[Diving's] an insult to everybody involved in this game," Tortorella said. "I said that about Gary Roberts in Toronto. He has been a warrior in this game, and he is probably the best diver in the league right now.
What a joke.

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.

Old
06-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
What a joke.

I'm sorry, but that is absolutely ridiculous.
His dive was absolutely ridiculous. He felt the stick and did a figure skating spin in the air to get a call. It was a joke of a call. I debate with my dad whenever we talk about that game which was the bigger joke the "sniper incident" or the "icing".

Closed Thread