HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is it the end of four teams from the same divison making the dance?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Matts

vCash: 500
Is it the end of four teams from the same divison making the dance?

you would have to thinks so if the new 72 game sked is passed with 32 games within your own division.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Lowetide

Good point. This is going to be mofo division if that happens. Where would you slot Edmonton (in the division) for next season based on what they have right now?

Old
04-28-2004, 10:27 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Good point. This is going to be mofo division if that happens. Where would you slot Edmonton (in the division) for next season based on what they have right now?
I'd say 3rd.

If Kipprusoff plays just good next year, the Flames are going to struggle. Mind you that defense is down right talented, and that core can win a lot of games for the team.

However, if Kipper falls back to his form of last season, the Flames are toast. I don't think that his play has much room to slip without the Flames dropping.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:13 AM
Oi'll say!

If "based on what they have now" includes Nedved the Oil would probably be in 2nd behind either Colorado or Van. Only Edm and Cgy really care about the regular season now, but the Flames will never finish ahead of the Oilers again.

Old
04-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Matts

Well no better than 3rd

Bertuzzi should have a monster year next year if he gets his head on straight. The Dys are a great regular season team. I think this season was the start of them reigning as NW Champs for a long time. Hard to say what's gonna happen in Col. But no matter what I still can't see the Oilers passing them. The Wild could be formidable if Gaborik plays the way he did in his last 20 matches.

As for Cgy. yeah love that defense corps. I mean a guy like Leopold is making just major strides this second season. This should be his springboard to being an all around very good dman. I've always liked Reghr and Warriner is a good dman as well. And maybe this spurs guys like Montador and Ferrence and Commodore as well. For some reason I don't see Gautier being back. All that being said yes a lot of it depends on Kipper. His pedigree isn't as poor as some here would like to have you believe, ie that's a defense as to why Lowe didn't gamble on him, but it isn't Jiggy like either and JS struggled this season. I'm hoping the same happens to Kiprsuoff.

But if they do get good goaltending from him, I'd say the Oilers are a definite 4th. I'm sort of torn on what the Oilers can do next year. For years I've said their biggest problem was Salo and I was right about that as was evidenced by this season. So in keeping with that theme I think they are a good bet for next year's playoffs. BUT if we go with that 32 games indivison sked next season, the Oilers could be in a world of trouble.

Old
05-01-2004, 08:15 PM
jadeddog

the 32 game inter-division idea is one of the stupidest ideas ive ever heard of..... its penalizes the divisions with 3 or 4 good teams, and allows teams that play in weaker divisions to have a MUCH better chance at home ice advantage, which equals easier playoffs opponents and more home game playoff revenue (which is where most teams try to make some money)..... its just ridiculous beyond all imagination, very very dumb

Old
05-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Yanner39

Alot depends on Colorado and what they do in the off season. That team could change drastically if they lose Forsberg, Selanne, Kariya, etc...

Calgary's tough.

I think it's hard to judge because I'm not convinced we've seen the real Oilers play. I mean, the last 18 games of this season don't mean jack to me. They played desperate hockey against teams that probably weren't as desperate. If the Oilers are a consistent team from start to finish, they could do some damage.

Old
05-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Mizral

Somewhere between 1st and 5th

Actually, I think the Oilers could seriously finish 5th next year based soley on a potential Gaborik bounceback season. The team in Minnesota is a lot more simple than people realize. It's basically... Roloson holds the other team to two or less goals (best kept secret in the Western conference) and Gaborik, Dupuis, and a few other guys score 2 or 3 goals and win the game. The Wild have the ability to bounce back, and the coach to do it. Question is - will they? My guess is probobly not, but you never know.

Old
05-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Somewhere between 1st and 5th

Actually, I think the Oilers could seriously finish 5th next year based soley on a potential Gaborik bounceback season. The team in Minnesota is a lot more simple than people realize. It's basically... Roloson holds the other team to two or less goals (best kept secret in the Western conference) and Gaborik, Dupuis, and a few other guys score 2 or 3 goals and win the game. The Wild have the ability to bounce back, and the coach to do it. Question is - will they? My guess is probobly not, but you never know.
are you sure that the oilers are your 3rd favourite team? They had the best record in hockey post all-star game and you think they are headed for last in their division?

Seems to me the canucks should be just as worried. Their goaltending has been exposed. Bertuzzi is going to get a lot of crap calls so their penalty kill better be sharp. Naslund is rumoured to be gone. Linden is a year older and less usefull.

Old
05-02-2004, 11:35 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
the 32 game inter-division idea is one of the stupidest ideas ive ever heard of..... its penalizes the divisions with 3 or 4 good teams, and allows teams that play in weaker divisions to have a MUCH better chance at home ice advantage
Maybe instead they'll seed by some ranking formula like they do in college sports?
I mean, if you're going to purposefully seed by a nonsensical assignment of season difficulty, you might as well screw it up completely.

For instance, this is the seeding for the 2003'04 season based on Sagarin ratings:
Code:
East
1 Tampa Bay Lightning
2 Philadelphia Flyers     
3 Toronto Maple Leafs     
4 Ottawa Senators         
5 Boston Bruins           
6 New Jersey Devils       
7 Montreal Canadiens      
8 New York Islanders      

West
1 Detroit Red Wings
2 San Jose Sharks         
3 Colorado Avalanche      
4 Calgary Flames          
5 Vancouver Canucks       
6 Dallas Stars            
7 Edmonton Oilers         
8 Minnesota Wild
On second thought, maybe schedule-scaled rankings have some merit

Primarily the only differences between Saragin seeding and the official seeding is that the NW division is corrected upwards....as is should have been.

Last edited by oilswell: 05-02-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old
05-02-2004, 11:45 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
But remember that we paly an extra game against all the other Western teams so i think it will just as tough as it was this year.

Closed Thread