HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonesie continues his unreadable ways

Old
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
That's the time I was referring to.
Yeah. That was the first time I said it.

Quote:
I think Norquest offers English courses.
Enlist then. Better comprehension equals better understanding.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I got lost in what you said there.. ^
Quote:
Better comprehension equals better understanding.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Staios for Johnson + 3rd is the hockey trade. Don't look at salaries or anything. The Oilers are worse off this year than before.
Yes I agree, and I will say "YOU ARE RIGHT". But the point is, you're right about something that has no value. It's like saying it was a bad "Letter S" trade because we now have less players whose name starts with "S". Yes it's true but there is no value in saying it.

Perhaps though I should say "Jones is right about something that has no value". If you just want to point out he is technically correct that's fine, but he is clearly upset at losing the "hockey trade".

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then I believe everybody on these boards owes Stu MacGregor a handjob.
Why?

Quite frankly the last 2-3 years I have decided not to start ripping on players for not developing on time or having an off year. After watching so many people get booed out of town and then our team actually do nothing better the next year, I have decided to give deals sometime.

The Staios one quite frankly I will say is a good one for this team because it was something that needed to be done. Regardless of how well Staios does in Calgary, his time was over here.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
A third round pick is worthless other than trying to move up in the draft. The Oilers have yet to draft an NHL player in the 3rd round since the lockout. Peckham may be on his way, but he is not an everyday NHLer yet.
If you say so.

Quote:
The change in scenario still follows the same concept. 6+2 = 8. 3+2 = 5. The 'scenario' is different (change in numbers) but the concept is the same (addition).
No, its not. You suggested Lidstrom had the same value as Staios by asking a very rhetorical question. That has nothing to do with your elementary math equation. Don't even try and deny that you did. The evidence is in this thread. lmao

Quote:
As I have said several times, it is a good trade. The Oilers are worse off this year, but it is still a good trade.
I would debate that. When you prorate Johnson's 22 games, he's better than Staios this season stat wise. Straight up at the very least Staios and Johnson were lateral trades. The plus side is, Johnson has a little more size, hell of a lot younger and a smaller salary. When you include the third rounder it makes that much better.

Quote:
Am I not clear in making my point? I really don't know how else I can explan it so others can understand.
Your point has been clouded since you started. Throwing curve variables thinking it equates to the same hypothesis.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why?

Quite frankly the last 2-3 years I have decided not to start ripping on players for not developing on time or having an off year. After watching so many people get booed out of town and then our team actually do nothing better the next year, I have decided to give deals sometime.

The Staios one quite frankly I will say is a good one for this team because it was something that needed to be done. Regardless of how well Staios does in Calgary, his time was over here.
There has not been an player (with more than 9 NHL games) drafted in the 3rd round in the last 3 drafts. If MacGregor can find a hidden gem that makes the team immediately after getting drafted, he deserves a key to the city.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Some posters should lat off the fat jokes a bit. I'm a slight guy, and never had to deal with being overweight, but when someone called me a toothpick or skinny I took it to be just as rude as calling someone fat or Dumbo...just my opinion though
I used to be fat in highschool. Not anymore. I got a fat joke once or twice, but I always dealt with them with a lot of character and backbone. It's one thing to pick on and bully an individual when they're not able to handle it... but this is hardly the situation. If you're obese and in the media, you better be able to handle a couple fat jokes.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
There has not been an player (with more than 9 NHL games) drafted in the 3rd round in the last 3 drafts. If MacGregor can find a hidden gem that makes the team immediately after getting drafted, he deserves a key to the city.
I was just questioning the handjob thing. Although what's wrong with picks like Motin, Peckham and Omark amongst other late rounders? I thought fans were quite happy with some of our late round picks the last few years? Although I will hold judgement for now like I do on trades, it's clear that we are at least making decent picks and now it's up to our development team to take them to the next step.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Good point. The fat jokes and the subsequent reaction to them takes away attention from the fact that Terry Jones is simply not a very good columnist and never really has been.

thank you. I'm not defending what he has written, I was just commenting on the fat jokes.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
If you say so.
Show me one NHL player to come out of the 3rd round in the past 3 years.

Quote:
No, its not. You suggested Lidstrom had the same value as Staios by asking a very rhetorical question. That has nothing to do with your elementary math equation. Don't even try and deny that you did. The evidence is in this thread. lmao
It has everything to do with the elementary math equation. Better player for worse player + pick. Bad hockey trade, could possibly be a good trade depending on other factors

Quote:
I would debate that. When you prorate Johnson's 22 games he's better than Staios this season. Straight up at the very least Staios and Johnson were lateral trades. The plus side is, Johnson has a little more size, hell of a lot younger and a smaller salary. When you include the third rounder it makes that much better.
Judging by your logic:

When you prorate Hemsky's 22 games he's better than Zetterberg this season. Straight up at the very least Hemsky and Zetterberg would be lateral trades. The plus side is, Hemsky has a little more size, hell of a lot younger and a smaller salary. When you include the third rounder it makes that much better.

IBHemsky+3rdforZetterberg

Quote:
Your point has been clouded since you started. Throwing curve variables thinking it equates to the same hypothesis.
I'll put it in simple terms so it doesn't hurt your brain:
- Staios for Johnson + useless pick = bad.
- 2.7M out (with 1 more year on contract) + 0.5M in (expiring deal) = good.

The third is just a bonus.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Some of you need to pull your heads out of your ***** for a few seconds to get some fresh air. Seriously. Tambo did what he needed to yesterday and was one of the winners of the day.

The problem with some of you is you live in a NHL 2010 world. Time to get back to reality. You're to the Oilers what teebagers are to the U.S.: EMBARRASSING. Jones is at the head of the class of idiots.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
I was just questioning the handjob thing. Although what's wrong with picks like Motin, Peckham and Omark amongst other late rounders? I thought fans were quite happy with some of our late round picks the last few years? Although I will hold judgement for now like I do on trades, it's clear that we are at least making decent picks and now it's up to our development team to take them to the next step.
I specifically looked at third-round picks. Not a single player drafted in the 3rd in the past 3 years has played more than 9 NHL games. You made a bold statement saying "What happens if [...] that pick ends up being in the NHL next year?"

Old
03-04-2010, 01:03 PM
MrOiler

For 20 years, I used to really enjoy reading Jones but not any more. He's been in a pout since he stopped having access to the Oiler ownership group once Katz bought out the EIG - talk about unprofessional.

His credibility is shot. Every article about the Oil Jones writes these days boils down to a big kid stamping his feet and pitching a fit because he doesn't get his way. Face it, Terry, you're just not that important.

I've stopped reading him. I think it's time The Sun moved Jones along. They should replace him with Brownlee. Jones is turning into Al Strachan.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
bOILing point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
When I was younger I used to work at this restaurant in WEM and every weekend Terry Jones would come in and eat. He'd order the same thing every time, then he'd go into the washroom and take a big s#%t. The place only had 1 bathroom, so only one customer could go at a time.

What me or one of the other workers would do is right before he finished eating and was getting ready to go to the bathroom, one of us would lock ourselves in the bathroom for an hour while he stood outside the bathroom door waiting. It always made us laugh watching that big fat #$% standing outside the washroom, with a big angry face while prairie dogging it.
So, we are to believe that he eats at your place of employment, finishes his dinner, then stands and waits for 1 hr while you hang out in a public washroom.(doing what?) Then the next weekend he comes back and does it again? i guess, seeing as your restaurant is located in WEM and there certainly arent other washrooms available.Oh the fun you must of had in either of your two critical roles in this clever sting.
you either get to be the guy hanging out in the bathroom or you get to be the guy watching his "big fat #$% standing outside the wasroom watching his big angry face prairie dogging it". I hope you recieved employee of the month.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I specifically looked at third-round picks. Not a single player drafted in the 3rd in the past 3 years has played more than 9 NHL games. You made a bold statement saying "What happens if [...] that pick ends up being in the NHL next year?"
I was just spewing some BS,

And by BS I mean third rounders are useless, is what I am referring to.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
I was just spewing some BS,

And by BS I mean third rounders are useless, is what I am referring to.
Prove me otherwise with any post-lockout example. From the top of my head, I can think of about 5 examples of NHL players coming out of the 3rd round since 2005. Steve Mason, Jon Quick, Cal Clutterbuck, Kris Letang and Cody Franson. Out of 150+ picks in the 3rd round since then, I can't say the odds are very good. Two goalies (unpredictable), a fourth liner, a defenseman just breaking into the league and an established top 4 defenseman.

Old
03-04-2010, 01:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Prove me otherwise with any post-lockout example. From the top of my head, I can think of about 5 examples of NHL players coming out of the 3rd round since 2005. Steve Mason, Jon Quick, Cal Clutterbuck, Kris Letang and Cody Franson. Out of 150+ picks in the 3rd round since then, I can't say the odds are very good.
We all know the odds of picks turning out, heck aren't we do for the 1st overall to be a bust? Maybe we should move that pick too.

The odds of Staios being a worthwhile asset for the Oilers is about the same as that pick becoming something. Key is there is a chance for that asset and a chance for whoever replaces Staios's spot next year.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
A third round pick is worthless other than trying to move up in the draft. The Oilers have yet to draft an NHL player in the 3rd round since the lockout. Peckham may be on his way, but he is not an everyday NHLer yet.

The change in scenario still follows the same concept. 6+2 = 8. 3+2 = 5. The 'scenario' is different (change in numbers) but the concept is the same (addition).

As I have said several times, it is a good trade. The Oilers are worse off this year, but it is still a good trade.

Am I not clear in making my point? I really don't know how else I can explan it so others can understand.

I'm agreeing with you. In a purely hockey trade, it is bad. Because of the reality of the cap, it is good. I'm not sure how I can make my point to you more clear.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Summary

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
Ha ha ha lmao !!! you guys and your Fat Jokes about Jonesy!! Tooo much fun!!! Hey we should all go down to Van for the Paralympics! Imagine the FUN we could have the " HEY Blind Boy you are an idiot because your blind and I am not"!! AHHHH good times....
Ya totaly! Cause losing ones eyesight is completely the same as people who eat too much and don't exercise. And it would be terrible in this day and age of free liberal thinking to hold someone accountable for thier decisions.

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
As a hockey deal, yes. The Oilers' defense became worse by trading Staios for Johnson.

I don't care if Staios was 56 -- he's still a better defenseman than the 'tweener Johnson. Therefore from purely a hockey standpoint (contracts aside), the Oilers became worse.

From an overall perspective, the cap space gained was much more valuable than Johnson or Staios, the 3rd was just a bonus.
I dunno about you but last time I checked the NHL is a cap league. So the cap component of this deal has everything to do with hockey.

What I really want to know, is this a good Texas Horseshoes deal?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
As a hockey deal, yes. The Oilers' defense became worse by trading Staios for Johnson.

I don't care if Staios was 56 -- he's still a better defenseman than the 'tweener Johnson. Therefore from purely a hockey standpoint (contracts aside), the Oilers became worse.

From an overall perspective, the cap space gained was much more valuable than Johnson or Staios, the 3rd was just a bonus.
If there was no salary cap, trading a 37 year old for pretty much any draft pick is a good long term hockey trade. Note, "hockey trade" should not solely focus on the short term effects, because hockey isn't going to stop this year or next.

Even without a salary cap, this is a good, traditional, asset management trade. The kind that teams out of the playoffs have been making for decades. They've been making those trades for decades because it makes sense for the hockey team, from a long term hockey stand point, with or without a salary cap.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Some posters should lat off the fat jokes a bit. I'm a slight guy, and never had to deal with being overweight, but when someone called me a toothpick or skinny I took it to be just as rude as calling someone fat or Dumbo...just my opinion though
Didn't say he was fat, just upset he can't get his food There's a difference. Like Bryan Hall and his Tony Romas.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Summary

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I dunno about you but last time I checked the NHL is a cap league. So the cap component of this deal has everything to do with hockey.

What I really want to know, is this a good Texas Horseshoes deal?
To go one step further, contracts mattered even before the lockout so I don't understand why anyone should have a hard time getting thier heads around the deal as a whole. Even when there was no cap, all teams had a budget and one player who takes up more of that budget than he is worth drags the team down because that money can be used on the services of someone more productive. Even in a non cap league Staios was overpaid for what he delivered.

What worries me though, is that this is a bad right handed defensman deal.

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summary View Post
To go one step further, contracts mattered even before the lockout so I don't understand why anyone should have a hard time getting thier heads around the deal as a whole. Even when there was no cap, all teams had a budget and one player who takes up more of that budget than he is worth drags the team down because that money can be used on the services of someone more productive. Even in a non cap league Staios was overpaid for what he delivered.

What worries me though, is that this is a bad right handed defensman deal.
Yeah, that as well. And it makes room on your roster for next season to bring in either a developing rookie or a more valuable UFA.

If the Oilers and the Flames were table hockey teams and you traded your Staios spinny guy, for the Flames Johnson spinny guy it would probably be a bad trade for the next game. But the game after that the Staios Spinny guy would probably break his ankle, the one that connects to the spinner. And thats what makes this a good Table Hockey trade as well as a Good NHL trade.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
Didn't say he was fat, just upset he can't get his food There's a difference. Like Bryan Hall and his Tony Romas.
I didn't mean to come across as over sensitive and self righteous in my original post. Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the subject. My original intent was to lambaste Terry Jones for his poor journalism and criticism of the Oilers....which was his MO right from day one when the Oilers came into the NHL

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote