HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonesie continues his unreadable ways

Old
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
dobiezeke*

vCash: 500
Jason Smith -leader of a team that proceeded to tank a season when their "heart and soul" was traded. Subsequently, traded.

Staios - "leader" on a team that yearly underperforms. Subsequently traded.

I am not saying they were the catalyst for the failure of the team however too many people put too high of value on the leadership of these players. Staios was done in Edmonton. His value on the ice was decreasing daily due to his lack of skill and rash of serious injury.

Since this topic has been ripe with speculation and BS here is a thought. Perhaps Tambolini provided Staios with a "swan song" to his career and sent him to a possible playoff team for his final year. Who among us knows if Staios was contemplating retirement after this year due to ongoing concussion reason?

I have no evidence to support that notion, but then neither have any of the other posts in this topic. Staios was redundant on this team at 2.7 million or 750k...be happy that we dumped the salary and received a warm body that can be ditched at the end of the year.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Jason Smith -leader of a team that proceeded to tank a season when their "heart and soul" was traded. Subsequently, traded.

I am not saying they were the catalyst for the failure of the team however too many people put too high of value on the leadership of these players. Staios was done in Edmonton. His value on the ice was decreasing daily due to his lack of skill and rash of serious injury.

Since this topic has been ripe with speculation and BS here is a thought. Perhaps Tambolini provided Staios with a "swan song" to his career and sent him to a possible playoff team for his final year. Who among us knows if Staios was contemplating retirement after this year due to ongoing concussion reason?

I have no evidence to support that notion, but then neither have any of the other posts in this topic. Staios was redundant on this team at 2.7 million or 750k...be happy that we dumped the salary and received a warm body that can be ditched at the end of the year.
Staios would have probably been my favourite player on this team had his salary only been $750k. I would have wanted us to keep him.

I also find it a little weird that you are bad-mouthing Smith now. He is widely regarded as one of the better Oiler captains, and was a highly respected player among his peers while he was playing the game. Our team fell apart after Smyth was traded? Sure, losing your only 30 goal scorer will do that, when combined with losing Sykora, MAB, and Hejda. Blaming that on Jason Smith is a bit misleading, I think.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Pitkanen was drafted in the first round, top 5 iirc. Versteeg was not drafted in 1986. That list has zero credibility, but still not a single one on your list was drafted since the lockout -- a time when scouting and drafting strategies changed and improved dramatically due to salary cap and rule changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I'm not going to do them all because I do value my time a little bit.

Current third round players in the NHL
Thomas Greiss (2004)
Patrick Sharp (2001)
Valtteri Filppula (2002)
Johan Franzen (2004)
Your buddy Nicklas Lidstrom (1989)
Kirk Maltby (1992)
Chris Osgood (1991)
Arron Asham (1996)
Mike Comrie (1999)
Sheldon Souray (1994)
Niklas Hagman (1999)
Craig Anderson (2001)
Erik Cole (1998)
Brian Gionta (1998)
Dominic Moore (2000)
Tomas Plekanec (2001)

Fourth round
Torrey Mitchell (2004)
Rob Blake (1988)

Fifth round
Kris Versteeg (1986)
Ray Emery (2001)
Shawn Horcoff (1998)
Joni Pitkanen (2002)

Sixth round
Kent Huskins (1998)
Ryane Clowe (2001)
Brian Campbell (1997)
Pavel Datsyuk (1998)

7th round
Cristobal Huet (2001)
Kyle Brodziak (2003)
Joe Pavelski (2003)
Troy Brouwer (2004)

8th round
Douglas Murray (1999)
Dustin Byfuglien (2003)

9th round
Evgeni Nabokov (1994)
Nikolai Khabibulin (1992)

10th round
Tomas Holmstrom (1994)
Kimmo Timonen (1993)

11th round
Scott Nichol (1993)
Kim Johnsson (1994)

Undrafted
John Madden
Dan Boyle
Brian Rafalski
Jason Williams
Niklas Backstrom
Dustin Penner

Source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
Staios would have probably been my favourite player on this team had his salary only been $750k. I would have wanted us to keep him.

-JH.
Staios is a fantastic #5/#6 but unfortunately he's not being paid like one. People can't see past the salary and the fact that he's been a whipping boy for so long. Oh well, still a good trade.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Pitkanen was drafted in the first round, top 5 iirc. Versteeg was not drafted in 1986. That list has zero credibility, but still not a single one on your list was drafted since the lockout -- a time when scouting and drafting strategies changed and improved dramatically due to salary cap and rule changes.
That list has very good credibility. I made the error not the site. Pits was drafted in the 1st round, your right. No biggie, I'll edit it. Thats what happens when I spent my own time doing your job that you should have done. By the way, that list isn't even half the current NHL players. Versteeg was drafted in the fifth round in 2004. Again, minor mistake on my behalf. I was doing that on my break. Who cares about your rules. Oh nooooos, a third rounder out of the list I made wasn't drafted since the lockout.. That makes what you say more credible. Please. A third rounder was a bonus and the reason why this trade made it over the edge. Johnson is already better than Staios. That third rounder made it an over payment on the Flames behalf.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Summary

vCash: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post

A bad team with thier "heart and soul" and then go figure a team worst without thier leading scorer. (plus the message to the players that they were packing it in for the season). Doesn't anyone realize that that message would do more to the team than losing anyone.

By your logic, Khabibulin was the "heart and soul" this year.

Or judging by thier record so far, maybe Staios was the "heart and soul" after all. If they continue to do bad will it be because the oilers just don't care anymore because they don't have Staios there to "lead" them?

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
So... what are the exact parameters of the list you're looking for?

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

3rd round, post-lockout. That was stated earlier.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
SlowFreshOil*

This dead horse is still getting flogged?

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote