HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking forward to UFA's and the offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
  #1
Giggli G
Registered User
 
Giggli G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Looking forward to UFA's and the offseason

We have a ton of RFA's this season and there are relatively few sure things for the team next year:

Forwards:
Surefire (unless traded in 'blockbuster):
Horcoff
Penner
Hemsky
Gagner (new contract)
Hall/Seguin

Players who hopefully will be signed to new, reasonable contracts:
Brule
Potulny
Pouliot (maybe, if he has turned corner)

Players with contracts who might make the team, or be waived:
Stortini
Jones

Players who are likely trade bait or to be bought out/buried:
Moreau
Nilsson
O'Sullivan (maybe)
Cogliano (maybe)

Prospects who could make it:
Eberle
MPS
Omark

There you have it, we have only five sure things on the forward roster next year, with a ton of options on who we use to fill out the roster. This means we will probably get a UFA or two.

Defense:

Surefire (unless traded):
Whitney
Gilbert
Smid

Trade bait that might stay:
Souray

Rookies who could make it:
Chorney
Peckham
Plante

From looking at the D-corps, we will probably have to make at least one value UFA signing here.

Goaltending can't be determined until we figure out what is happening with DUI boy.



We are going to have cap space, so let's consider what kind of value UFA's might be out there and fit our goal of getting big, young, and more defensively responsible.

Forwards:
Artyukhin
Armstong
Torres? haha
Stempniak
Malhotra

Older forwards:
S. Thornton
Grier
Nolan
R. Neidermayer
Park
Shelley
Cullen
Poni
Belanger

Big Fish Forwards that might ruin the offseason for us:
Jagr
Kovalchuk (ok, not if we actually got him, but we won't)
Frolov

Defensemen: There should be a lot of decent defensive D out there.
A. Johnson
Seidenberg
Lebda
Hamhuis
Michalek
Foster
Jurcina
Morrisonn

Higher end:
Martin
Volchenkov

So, I don't think we will have trouble filling out the defense with guys who can defend, although we may need a forward who can play the point on the PP if we trade Souray. I could however see us having trouble signing any decent UFA forwards. We might end up with a rookie-crazed forward lineup next year, e.g.:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Seguin-Eberle
Potulny-Brule-Armstrong (interchangeable w/ second line)
Artyukhin-Pouliot-Jones

Whitney-Smid
Souray/Michalek/Seidenberg-Gilbert
Chorney-Jurcina/Johnson

Looks fun. A lot of losses though, ha.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
  #2
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
I just hope and pray we don't focus on a couple big profile players and instead focus on more role players that will help our young guys develop.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
  #3
The Pouzar
Registered User
 
The Pouzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Kop
Country: Canada
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
What happens with Horcoff?

The Pouzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
  #4
Giggli G
Registered User
 
Giggli G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomand52 View Post
What happens with Horcoff?
Nothing, I think.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
  #5
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomand52 View Post
What happens with Horcoff?
Hopefully he's in Oklahoma.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
  #6
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 14,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Nothing, I think.
He's not in your lineup

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
  #7
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
If the Oilers could manage to bring in Hamhuis and/or Sidenberg in the offseason, along with dumping Souray and Moreau, then I think the team would really be moving in the right direction.

Just say no to all the UFA forwards and plan on signing a big name UFA goalie in 2 years.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
  #8
Blatherblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I just hope and pray we don't focus on a couple big profile players and instead focus on more role players that will help our young guys develop.
I'd still like Jagr for 1 or 2 years. Would be a great mentor for our young forwards. But for the love of God will we ever get a veteran 3rd line center and a veteran defensive defenseman? Malhotra and Johnson would be nice, and then a slightly more expensive defensive defenseman (2nd pairing) on a 1 or 2 year contract would be great.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
  #9
Blatherblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomand52 View Post
What happens with Horcoff?
Hope he learns to shoot again. He really looked like a new player that year he went down to Mexico. That was the guy I thought would be an adequate 1st line center. Don't know who the guy on our current roster they call "Horcoff" is.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
  #10
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
If the Oilers could manage to bring in Hamhuis and/or Sidenberg in the offseason, along with dumping Souray and Moreau, then I think the team would really be moving in the right direction.

Just say no to all the UFA forwards and plan on signing a big name UFA goalie in 2 years.

Had the Oilers moved Moreau LAST year as I suggested, they would have been moving in the right direction at lot earlier. There might have actually been teams interested in him, and the Oilers might have actually received something for him too. But I was crazy, right?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:12 PM
  #11
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
Hope he learns to shoot again. He really looked like a new player that year he went down to Mexico. That was the guy I thought would be an adequate 1st line center. Don't know who the guy on our current roster they call "Horcoff" is.


Was that the Mexican Summer League?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
  #12
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,817
vCash: 500
When Hemsky comes back, Horcoff is going to look like his regular old self. He has obviously been playing through injuries all year and if he is moved it won't be until his value is positive.

Our players have to have someone to learn from up front and IMO Horcoff is a great character guy that can show the rookies how to do all the little things right.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
  #13
jcoldwell
Registered User
 
jcoldwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
O'Sullivan-Brule-Comrie
xxx-Horcoff-Potulny
Jones-Pouliot-Stortini
Stone/Jacques

xxx-Whitney
Smid-xxx
Gilbert-Strudwick
Chorney/Peckham

Looking at the UFA's for next season, I wouldn't be spending a lot on players unless they are younger and top of the talent pool of the UFA market, such as Volchenkov and Frolov.

I wouldn't mind the Oilers signing based on needs either of Matt Cooke, Manny Malhotra, Eric Nystrom, or Cody McCormick to fill out the 3rd line.

For defense 2 of these players would be suffice, Lukas Krajicek, Jordan Leopold, Andrew Ference, Milan Jurcina, Aaron Johnson

Nilsson, Cogliano, Moreau and Souray are traded in the offseason for picks/prospects.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:17 PM
  #14
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
And NOBODY gets more than a 2 year deal.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
  #15
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Had the Oilers moved Moreau LAST year as I suggested, they would have been moving in the right direction at lot earlier. There might have actually been teams interested in him, and the Oilers might have actually received something for him too. But I was crazy, right?
Are you suggesting that we had a conversation along those lines in which I opposed moving Moreau?

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
  #16
Jmask83
Registered User
 
Jmask83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
If next year's draft is as bad as people say and the only true prize is Larsson than I don't think the Oilers will be able to finish in the bottom 5 to get him given the roster they will ice next year.

This is the team I think might be here next year

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Cogs-Seguin-Brule
POS-Horc-Pots
Stortini-Pouliot-Jones

Whitney-Smid
Gilbert-Souray(Untradeable I think)
Pekham-Chorney

Khabbi
JDD/Dubi

Can that team be as bad as this team??? I think not. I think you have to trade Penner and Hemsky in order to finish last. Those two are too good together.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:21 PM
  #17
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Are you suggesting that we had a conversation along those lines in which I opposed moving Moreau?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=584817

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:26 PM
  #18
reckless_abandon
Registered User
 
reckless_abandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 961
vCash: 500
I hope that at the draft, Tambs could put together a package of say Cogliano and Nash for Upshall and the rights to Michalek. Upshall at this point is a veteran player who would be close in age to the new group that we are forming.

reckless_abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:29 PM
  #19
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Brule is surefire as well. I would sign Pouliot, but not at 900K.

Hall/Seguin isn't a "lock" to be on the team. I would bring over Svensson and also give Eberle every chance to stick as a top 6 and no.1 pp player.

If they offer a multi-year deal it does not have to be a QO level salary.

Offer 2 years at 750K per for Pouliot. If he and his agent think they can do better, all the best.

Low-ball Cogliano at 1.25M.

Offer Brule 2 years, 2.0M per. 1 year at 1.75M.

Offer Gagner 5 years at 3.75M per. 4 years at 3.3M per. 3 years at 3M per. 2 years at 2.5M per. 1 year at 2M.

O'Sullivan and Nilsson should be dealt if possible. They will probably get mild interest at the draft. Honestly, a team like Pittsburgh is always on the look out for a 2-3M winger that could produce in the right situation. Atlanta will be desperate to fill its roster too.

Defense should be filled with a couple of 1.5-2.0M defensive specialists with some size and physicality. We need to be harding in front of our goaltenders. Looking at the UFA list, I think trade will be the better way to fill the defensive holes. If Petry shines at camp I suppose he can take a spot. Souray could be staying too.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
  #20
LawnDemon
Registered User
 
LawnDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Danger Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Congrats, you called it early. I doubt that Moreau had much value even when you wanted to trade him (poor play, longer contract duration) but you get to haul out an "I told you so" so good times for you. I thoroughly enjoy getting up on the milk crate myself so I respect when other people get the chance.

Nicely played sir.

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
  #21
NoTradeClause
Registered User
 
NoTradeClause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
I think a guy like Andrew Ladd would be a great fit and is a RFA. There is a lot of "upper mid-level" talent in Chicago that could be had. Sharp, Byfuglien, even Eager seems like a guy who knows his role and thinks team first. I would say it's time to bring in some players that come from a winning team, and stop bringing in players from teams that are in the same position as the Oilers.
Even Lubo, as good as he is, has never been with a winning organization (LA WAS bad). Whitney has at least had a sniff of success.

NoTradeClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
  #22
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
If next year's draft is as bad as people say and the only true prize is Larsson than I don't think the Oilers will be able to finish in the bottom 5 to get him given the roster they will ice next year.

This is the team I think might be here next year

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Cogs-Seguin-Brule
POS-Horc-Pots
Stortini-Pouliot-Jones

Whitney-Smid
Gilbert-Souray(Untradeable I think)
Pekham-Chorney

Khabbi
JDD/Dubi

Can that team be as bad as this team??? I think not. I think you have to trade Penner and Hemsky in order to finish last. Those two are too good together.


Don't forget about Sean Couturier ,It is being stated that he could be the biggest prospect since Sidney Crosby.

2011 Prospects to get
A/Sean Couturier
B/Adam Larsson

every other prospects is well below these two prospects as of right now.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
  #23
Jmask83
Registered User
 
Jmask83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Don't forget about Sean Couturier ,It is being stated that he could be the biggest prospect since Sidney Crosby.
Are you serious?? All I have heard about is Larsson. If this guy was going to be as god as Crosby we would have heard about him 2 years ago. Crosby was talked about before he even played in junior.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
  #24
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,528
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
Are you serious?? All I have heard about is Larsson. If this guy was going to be as god as Crosby we would have heard about him 2 years ago. Crosby was talked about before he even played in junior.
It is being stated that he is the best prospect since Crosby.Not he is as good as Crosby.

Sean Couturier 17 years old C
6"4 195 pounds


2009-10 Drummondville 63 36 48 84 43 +52

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
  #25
Giggli G
Registered User
 
Giggli G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Brule is surefire as well. I would sign Pouliot, but not at 900K.

Hall/Seguin isn't a "lock" to be on the team. I would bring over Svensson and also give Eberle every chance to stick as a top 6 and no.1 pp player.

If they offer a multi-year deal it does not have to be a QO level salary.

Offer 2 years at 750K per for Pouliot. If he and his agent think they can do better, all the best.

Low-ball Cogliano at 1.25M.

Offer Brule 2 years, 2.0M per. 1 year at 1.75M.

Offer Gagner 5 years at 3.75M per. 4 years at 3.3M per. 3 years at 3M per. 2 years at 2.5M per. 1 year at 2M.

O'Sullivan and Nilsson should be dealt if possible. They will probably get mild interest at the draft. Honestly, a team like Pittsburgh is always on the look out for a 2-3M winger that could produce in the right situation. Atlanta will be desperate to fill its roster too.

Defense should be filled with a couple of 1.5-2.0M defensive specialists with some size and physicality. We need to be harding in front of our goaltenders. Looking at the UFA list, I think trade will be the better way to fill the defensive holes. If Petry shines at camp I suppose he can take a spot. Souray could be staying too.
Hall/Seguin is a lock to make the team. What are they going to do, send him back do junior? Either is better than any other player in the OHL, there is nothing to gain in development from going back. He can't go to the AHL.

The last top two pick from the CHL to go back to junior the next year was Bobby Ryan in 2005, and he didn't dominate the league like Hall/Seguin did. I just can't see it happening.

Other than that, I agree with most of what you said. Except, I think we could get Brule for a bit less than 2 million.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.