HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking forward to UFA's and the offseason

Old
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
ClydeGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
No doubt hey! Elements that are missing from this team are injury prone guys who are overpaid and don't have much size....
They are going to push like hell to trade Briere because of his big price tag. But he also has a NTC which really makes it hard to trade him.

But I agree on the Gagne idea. He hasn't had a concussion in a couple of years so he's OK by me.

ClydeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

Do we really think a team on a total rebuild is going to go the UFA route?

The extra cap space may be used on trades but I don't see the Oilers going hard after OR being able to attract UFA's.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Is that any way to respond when you just got totally owned?
Sorry, I suppose I should go the typical HFposter route and completely bypass using rants and raves. How's this:

I NEVAR SAID TO NOT TRADE MORROW I SAID HES NOT TEH ONLY PROBLM U R CLERELY A ****ING STUPID SO GO SUK A DUCK.

Better?

LawnDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
TheGudge

If we can sign a few short term ufa's on the cheap while the youngsters like Eberle, MPS, Lander, Petry all develop in the AHL, and we aim to finish a competitive last place again, I"m all in. It looks like a decent high end draft next yr at least with Larsson and Couturier.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Do we really think a team on a total rebuild is going to go the UFA route?

The extra cap space may be used on trades but I don't see the Oilers going hard after OR being able to attract UFA's.
We should be able to sign a few value UFA's if we focus on them instead of going after the big fish.

We will definitely be getting a UFA D.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
We should be able to sign a few value UFA's if we focus on them instead of going after the big fish.

We will definitely be getting a UFA D.
Perhaps, if they are younger. I really do not see a lot of veteran ufa's in our future. Total rebuil and veteran ufa's do not really go together.

I see youth, youth and more youth. Perhaps a sprinkling of veterans for some leadership.

Old
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

How do Veteran UFAs and Rebuild mix it is not like we will sign them long term they will just be here to do their job and maybe teach the youngens a thing or to. Also since when did young a ufa go together not many ufas are young.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
sammyg

ufas and trades are still key in a rebuild. it cant all be done through drafting. the key is that signings have to be smart and well thought out. i just hope tambo and co are smart about it.

sammyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon View Post
Sorry, I suppose I should go the typical HFposter route and completely bypass using rants and raves. How's this:

I NEVAR SAID TO NOT TRADE MORROW I SAID HES NOT TEH ONLY PROBLM U R CLERELY A ****ING STUPID SO GO SUK A DUCK.

Better?

Nah, I liked it better when you were incredibly sarcastic and condescending.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It is being stated that he is the best prospect since Crosby.Not he is as good as Crosby.

Sean Couturier 17 years old C
6"4 195 pounds

2009-10 Drummondville 63 36 48 84 43 +52
Pretty sure if we take Hall/Seguin this year we would take Adam Larsson with the #1 overall pick if we ever got it again next year...from everything I've seen from him he looks like something very special...most people say he is better than hedman was at the same age (and hedman apparently was as good or better than lidstrom at the same age) so i think they would go the route of a future star dman

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Four names, in order of (my personal) desire:

Kim Johnsson
Tomas Holmstrom
Andreas Lilja
Henrik Tallinder

What do these 4 have in common besides UFA? They're all veteran Swedes. While I don't think either Paajarvi or Lander will make them team in 2010/2011, I feel both with have made or make their debut by the 2011/2012 season. That gives one or more of these Swedish Free Agents a year to acclimatize to the team, a year of development to the Timra duo, and a year to tank for Larsson.

Having a veteran Swede on the team would be very bennifical to the 2 (*crosses fingers*... 3) young Swedes as they enter the organization.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Last edited by Soli: 03-07-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:10 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Hall/Seguin is a lock to make the team. What are they going to do, send him back do junior? Either is better than any other player in the OHL, there is nothing to gain in development from going back. He can't go to the AHL.
What are the prerequisites for being able to play in the AHL after being drafted? Why aren't Hall and Sequin eligible to play in the AHL next year?

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:15 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
What are the prerequisites for being able to play in the AHL after being drafted? Why aren't Hall and Sequin eligible to play in the AHL next year?

-JH.
I believe you can not be eligible for the WHL, OHL etc.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Perhaps, if they are younger. I really do not see a lot of veteran ufa's in our future. Total rebuil and veteran ufa's do not really go together.

I see youth, youth and more youth. Perhaps a sprinkling of veterans for some leadership.
We need vets for the pressure situations at to ease the kids into their future roles. Jagr for scoring (1-2 year deal ONLY), a 3rd line center and a decent physical defensive defenseman for defensive situations. We could also add a couple of depth guys too.

Nothing crazy, just enough to round out the roster. Jagr is probably the most ambitious guy to get from my perspective.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
nafrelio

I really hope we don't go after any top 6 UFA forwards. Why would we? We do NOT have the bluechip prospects we need for the long haul. We'll see how this year's draft goes, but we need at least another year of suckage to draft game changing talent. Why get a middle of the pack pick next year!!!!! We need to do this right. In unloading Visnovsky, they are showing that they are not doing a one year rebuild, so why would they go after Jagr/Kovy/etc., or any other top 6 forward? I'll be really pissed if they do. I could see adding a vet #3-4 dman for 2 years max. Be patient and do the rebuild right or else we will be here all over again in 3-5 years!

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post

-JH.

I believe it has to do with being age eligible. If they still qualify to play junior (while that season is going and their team still has games), they cannot play AHL.

Old
03-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
We need vets for the pressure situations at to ease the kids into their future roles. Jagr for scoring (1-2 year deal ONLY), a 3rd line center and a decent physical defensive defenseman for defensive situations. We could also add a couple of depth guys too.

Nothing crazy, just enough to round out the roster. Jagr is probably the most ambitious guy to get from my perspective.
I might agree with that, but only if he agees to a reasonable price - say 3 mill/year max on a one year deal. If he thinks he's worth more than that, it's not worth it.

Old
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Giggli G

If you are coming from the CHL, there is a clause saying that if you aren't in the NHL, you have to play in the CHL as opposed to any other leagues (until they are 20). That way the CHL gets to keep their players whenever possible.

With someone who isn't in the CHL, they can go right into the AHL (e.g. Filatov).

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I might agree with that, but only if he agees to a reasonable price - say 3 mill/year max on a one year deal. If he thinks he's worth more than that, it's not worth it.
I'd go higher, depending on our cap situation. But agree the term is absolutely critical. 1 year at higher dollars or 2 years at lower dollars (in the 3M range).

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote