HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

To those who are against NHL players at the Olympics because they are professionals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
  #1
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
To those who are against NHL players at the Olympics because they are professionals

To those who say the NHL players should not play at the Olympics because they are professional athletes since the Olympics are meant to be for amateur athletes, well shouldn't the NBA stop sending their players because they are also professionals? So why do some say it's not ok for the NHL players to play but it's ok for the NBA players?

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline  
Old
03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
  #2
alexanderovechkin8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
it is for amateurs boxing only has amateurs

alexanderovechkin8 is offline  
Old
03-04-2010, 11:45 PM
  #3
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
The Olympics should be amateur for everything, but unfortunately that's no longer possible. All of the athletes in just about any sport now are pros, even in something as obscure as snowboarding.

Levizk is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 12:34 AM
  #4
puppetzz
Registered User
 
puppetzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
whats the point of olympics when it isnt each countrys best going against each other?

puppetzz is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
  #5
RyanMac
Registered User
 
RyanMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Lots of Olympic athletes are paid. Track athletes makes lots of money. Maybe they Olympics should only allow Jr High students compete!

RyanMac is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:16 AM
  #6
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetzz View Post
whats the point of olympics when it isnt each countrys best going against each other?
This.

Also, amateur athletes are usually now payed and funded to some extent.

octopi is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:18 AM
  #7
Hfboards2010
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
To those who say the NHL players should not play at the Olympics because they are professional athletes since the Olympics are meant to be for amateur athletes, well shouldn't the NBA stop sending their players because they are also professionals? So why do some say it's not ok for the NHL players to play but it's ok for the NBA players?
Weird argument.

What makes you think those against NHL players playing at the Olympics are not also against NBA players playing at the Olympics?

Try again?

Hfboards2010 is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:31 AM
  #8
Brozak
i scoreded a goal
 
Brozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 500
Amateur athletes at the Olympics...? What? It's best of the best man. The athletes who get to go aren't amateurs. They're OLYMPIANS.

Brozak is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
  #9
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
The amateur athlete argument is one giant flaw in logic in today's world. Some sports pay their best athletes in the world millions of dollars (IE: hockey and basketball). Others sports (IE: skiing, bobsledding, and everything else) can't pay their best athletes in the world and they have to rely on government funding and corporate sponsors to keep their heads above water (if you're not lucky enough to be the face of your sport like a Shaun White), so they get tagged with being amateur despite dedicating just as much time and effort to their chosen sport as the NHL and NBA stars dedicate to their jobs. Why should the best athletes in certain sports not be eligible because their full time training earns them money? What difference does it make if their paycheques come from a team owner or a major corporation?

Shaun White is rich as hell, but his money comes from endorsements. He doesn't make a salary from boarding down a half pipe, but that's not to say he shouldn't be able to compete at The Olympics if he did. Kim Yu-Na is another example. She is, by far, the best womens figure skater on the planet, but she's also a multi-millionaire. She's littered on Korean TV promoting Samsung products. Lindsey Vonn made over a million dollars from endorsements last year as well.

Want to know more about money and The Olympics? Most, if not all National Olympic Committees pay their medal winners! The COC paid Gold Medal winners $20,000 each, Silver winners get $15,000 and Bronze winners get $10,000. That doesn't sound like much, and it's not compared to some other countries. This year, Russia is paying their Gold Medal winners 100,000, Silver winners get 60,000 and Bronze winners get 40,000. A Bronze Medal winner from Russia gets more than double what a Canadian Gold Medal winner gets... and we wonder why the success we saw this year isn't a regular occurrence.

The IOC realizes that the Olympic Spirit is about having the best athletes in the world competing against one another. They have moved away from worrying about how much money Olympic athletes make. There used to be a time where training for your event was seen in the same light as doping is in our era. Times change.

Stripes is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:41 AM
  #10
Reality Check
Registered User
 
Reality Check's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafsFan2010 View Post
To those who say the NHL players should not play at the Olympics because they are professional athletes since the Olympics are meant to be for amateur athletes, well shouldn't the NBA stop sending their players because they are also professionals?
Yes

However, with the Summer Olympics being played in the offseason, it's not as annoying as the Winter Olympics

Reality Check is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:58 AM
  #11
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Yes

However, with the Summer Olympics being played in the offseason, it's not as annoying as the Winter Olympics
Basketball is a summer sport though. I always wondered why the NBA plays during the winter.

Hockey can't be at The Olympics during its off-season. It's just not feasible.

Stripes is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 02:11 AM
  #12
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Basketball is a summer sport though. I always wondered why the NBA plays during the winter.

Hockey can't be at The Olympics during its off-season. It's just not feasible.
Because it was invented as an indoor sport...to get away from bad weather? Not sure where you're from where basketball is considered a summer sport but everywhere I've lived basketball is a cold weather sport.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 02:40 AM
  #13
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

The IOC realizes that the Olympic Spirit is about having the best athletes in the world competing against one another. They have moved away from worrying about how much money Olympic athletes make. There used to be a time where training for your event was seen in the same light as doping is in our era. Times change.
This. The Olympics was supposed to be the best your country could round up against the best other countries could round up. When the olympics were dreamt up, there wasn't much in the way of professional sports, the leisure industry hadn't yet really begun to take off. Now, leisure and entertainment is one of the largest sectors in our economy. Back in the day, people playing a sport not just for a job, but as their only job would have been unheard of.

A competition for national pride doesn't mean much if you don't have the best people from that country, now does it?

cptjeff is online now  
Old
03-05-2010, 03:21 AM
  #14
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,174
vCash: 500
The whole amateur-only thing might be the single stupidest suggestion I've ever heard that's actually widely contested.

Shareefruck is online now  
Old
03-05-2010, 04:03 AM
  #15
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Because it was invented as an indoor sport...to get away from bad weather? Not sure where you're from where basketball is considered a summer sport but everywhere I've lived basketball is a cold weather sport.
Well, it is part of the Summer Olympics, after all.

How can basketball be a "cold weather sport", when as YOU say, it was invented as an indoor sport? If it's an indoor sport, then the weather outside is completely meaningless.

Winter sports involve snow and/or ice. Basketball involves shorts and tank tops.

Stripes is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 04:05 AM
  #16
Injektilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Taiwan
Country: United Nations
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
People who argue for amateurs only really have no idea what the difference between amateur and professional is. I really wish I could meet one in person so I could ask them exactly who would be eligible to play.

It'd pretty much be that Canadian/Australian guy who competes in mens moguls and is an internet/spyware/adware millionaire. He's probably the one guy who doesn't need to get paid to do what he does. And he's a dick anyway.

Injektilo is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 04:08 AM
  #17
Injektilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Taiwan
Country: United Nations
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This. The Olympics was supposed to be the best your country could round up against the best other countries could round up. When the olympics were dreamt up, there wasn't much in the way of professional sports, the leisure industry hadn't yet really begun to take off. Now, leisure and entertainment is one of the largest sectors in our economy. Back in the day, people playing a sport not just for a job, but as their only job would have been unheard of.

A competition for national pride doesn't mean much if you don't have the best people from that country, now does it?


My understanding is that it was done to keep the lower classes out. The upper class with money to spare were the only ones who could do sports at a decent level and not have to worry about getting paid for it, so the founders of the modern olympics put in a "no pros" rule to keep out athletes who were of a lower class and made their money at their sport.

Injektilo is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 06:27 AM
  #18
El_Loco_Avs
Registered User
 
El_Loco_Avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Well, it is part of the Summer Olympics, after all.

How can basketball be a "cold weather sport", when as YOU say, it was invented as an indoor sport? If it's an indoor sport, then the weather outside is completely meaningless.
Many sports are played inside when the weather outside doesn 't allow playing.

El_Loco_Avs is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
  #19
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This. The Olympics was supposed to be the best your country could round up against the best other countries could round up. When the olympics were dreamt up, there wasn't much in the way of professional sports, the leisure industry hadn't yet really begun to take off. Now, leisure and entertainment is one of the largest sectors in our economy. Back in the day, people playing a sport not just for a job, but as their only job would have been unheard of.
No at all, the English professional football league started in 1888.

jekoh is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 06:57 AM
  #20
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
My understanding is that it was done to keep the lower classes out. The upper class with money to spare were the only ones who could do sports at a decent level and not have to worry about getting paid for it, so the founders of the modern olympics put in a "no pros" rule to keep out athletes who were of a lower class and made their money at their sport.
And indeed fencing professional instructors were allowed in, for fencing was deemed an upper class sport.

jekoh is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 07:18 AM
  #21
bmil
Registered User
 
bmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
If NHL and NBA players stopped going to the Olympic games respectively, people would lose interest in the Men's ice hockey and basketball competitions...fast.

The Olympics are the biggest stage in the world, who in their right mind wouldn't want to see the best go up against the best? If either league were to pull out, they'd be awfully damn stupid.

bmil is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 07:37 AM
  #22
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmil View Post
If NHL and NBA players stopped going to the Olympic games respectively, people would lose interest in the Men's ice hockey and basketball competitions...fast.

The Olympics are the biggest stage in the world, who in their right mind wouldn't want to see the best go up against the best? If either league were to pull out, they'd be awfully damn stupid.
Drop both sports -- team sports often bog down the Olympics anyway.

rojac is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
  #23
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Because it was invented as an indoor sport...to get away from bad weather? Not sure where you're from where basketball is considered a summer sport but everywhere I've lived basketball is a cold weather sport.
If you are playing outdoors(which yeah many people do, Cities put up outdoor basketball courts EVERYWHERE!), then you need the favorable weather. It is a summer sport.

TheCH* is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 08:13 AM
  #24
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
And i don't agree that it was meant to be an indoor sport.

If that is the case, then why doesn't the NHL play on a pond? Thats where it was invented.

TheCH* is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 08:20 AM
  #25
Quack
Registered User
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
What is an amature anyway? If Kovalchuk goes to the KHL in the off season and the 2014 olympics don't have NHL'ers can you really say Kovalchuk is an amature athlete? The only true amatures you'll see are the ones from the World jr's. KHL/SEL/AHL/ect are as much of an amature as NHLers are. Does anyone really want to see the Olympics become Spengler Cup V.2?

Quack is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.