HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#63: Flyers @ Sabres - March 5, 2010 - 7:30 PM (ET)

Old
03-05-2010, 09:32 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

He just wanted to dance ...
That's great.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

Oh my God, Irish. I didn't see that coming at all.

I saw the last few minutes of the 3rd and OT. Ugly rebound ends up in the back of the net. Who knew?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Unstable

Man, 1 point efforts will not get us to the playoffs.

Stating the obvious, I know.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Its kind of funny that for all the *****ing & moaning about Hartnell's contract, once he's traded this summer we'll have the money to resign our RFA's and get a Goalie. Only 19 more regular season games left for the Hartnell experiment, Scotty we hardly knew ya.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM

Wish it was as simple as just trading him. The guy has a freakin NTC.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:02 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
didnt see any of the game but at least we got a point?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
didnt see any of the game but at least we got a point?
2-1 lead with 8 minutes left...it's gotta be a win. A team fighting for a playoff spot should close that game out. First goal against -- bad play by Leighton. Second goal, lazy play by Carle and Carter. Third goal...Leighton really needs to control that rebound.

I hate to blame goalies or anything like that, but that's two games in a row Leighton's ****ed the dog. Not a good sign.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
mm6492

Hartnell looks lost out there...

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
DoomMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
2-1 lead with 8 minutes left...it's gotta be a win. A team fighting for a playoff spot should close that game out. First goal against -- bad play by Leighton. Second goal, lazy play by Carle and Carter. Third goal...Leighton really needs to control that rebound.

I hate to blame goalies or anything like that, but that's two games in a row Leighton's ****ed the dog. Not a good sign.
Leighton gave the team a very good chance to win tonight, they didn't pull it off and played pretty uninspired all in all. That's not really "two games in a row [where] Leighton's ****ed the dog."

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
mm6492

Quote:

First goal was on Pronger. He has too get that puck, not point Leighton to go get it.

Did not play great, but gave us a shot to win IMO.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

On the first goal against Pronger hung him out to dry. That was a play Leighton should have never been asked to make. That said, once Vanek is in the corner he should've stayed square to Vanek on the way back to his post, and only turned to check the slot once he had it sealed.

I'm not gonna kill him for that mistake, it's not that common for a goalie to have to come back to his post from that far out, especially when the puck is in the corner...sort of a weird situation.

And this "he should've controlled that rebound" talk is hilarious 90% of the time. Most of the people who say it have no idea what its like to play goalie.

A: If you expect your goalie to control the rebound he should have had a chance to get his feet set and be square before the shot gets released. Or if it hits them right in the torso (even if he's moving laterally he should have this).

B: Shots at the feet are more of a crap shoot rebound wise, particularly if the goalie was still moving when the shot was taken.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Someone contact NPH. I think he deserves to know what happened.

Epic picture, by the way.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
well, at least elmo didnt go the autoerotic route, thats just embarrasing.

leighton had a great save that kept the game from being 3-2. but its cancelled out by that rebound in OT. at the end of the day though, its not his fault the offense only scored two goals.

i missed a whole lot of the game, how did miller look? did he stop us, or did we just not get it done?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
chaosof99*

That loss was really not necessary. Especially Vanek's (that lazy ****'s) goal... Leighton, what the hell were you thinking?

Alas, one point is better than no point. At least Leighton had a highlight reel save and Richie made Buffalo look silly, as he has done multiple times in the past.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:04 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
I bet the Leafs come out like the Panthers did. They'll want to slow things down early and take advantage of our defensive lapses. If I'm Laviolette, I make the guys watch what they did wrong in the first periods of both the Lightning and the Panthers games over and over again to make sure they get the message about having a strong first period.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:32 AM
buffalowing88

You guys outplayed us all game. We were just due for a win. What I can never get, and its been near two decades now, is why you guys cannot get a goalie. I've watched Leighton play in person a handful of times, and tonight may actually be the best you're going to get from him. He's not a terrible goalie but I'm sick of goaltending killing your team. You guys have about 7 players that would play on Buffalo's first line yet your GMs never invest in a good back end. You knew Biron was washed up once you grabbed him, same can be said of Emery. I hate to see the Flyers win but when you guys play the rest of the Atlantic Division, I watch in pain thinking that a Gagne and a decent pick would get a Huet or potentially a Price. Its tough watching such a talented team offensively every year get bit by the same snake again and again.....oh well, means nothing, just a Sabre's fan rant, longing for the days Hextall wouldnt have let this fly.....

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Getting Huet for Gagne and a pick would be disastrous.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:55 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

One should watch Richards on the GWG goal before one blames Leighton.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...61893&catid=-6

Lazy, undisciplined play from a good player. Story of the Flyers' year.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
One should watch Richards on the GWG goal before one blames Leighton.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...61893&catid=-6

Lazy, undisciplined play from a good player. Story of the Flyers' year.
2nd time that Richards wasn't covering his man that led to a game ending goal for the opposition.

Did Leighton give up a rebound? Sure did, that's the goal of shooting low. As a goalie, I echo Mush's comments. Even the best of goalies have trouble directing low shots and that is when it is the responsibility of the defense to clear those rebounds. Richards wasn't even close to being in position.

Putting everything else aside, anytime a goalie stops 31 of 33 shots in regulation he has put his team in a position to win the game. How about getting more than 1 shot on goal on your lone PP opportunity?

Last edited by pelts35.com: 03-06-2010 at 07:48 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:50 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

We lost, but I feel Leighton bounced back somewhat from the other night. We just have to watch those defensive zone turnovers

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:08 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
This was Hartnell's best game in a long while actually. He was completely absent as opposed to being a liability like he usually is.
Hehe this is classic and also somewhat true.

- I cautiously like the Leino-Carter-Briere line, is it a coincidence that they created about 15 chances with Hartnell gone? Maybe.

- Leighton showed the good and bad tonight. He made a couple of spectacular saves, but again and again, it's awful technique and bad decisions with the puck that get him into trouble.

- We honestly played really well IMO considering Buffalo is a really strong home team, I'd say it was our best game since the end of the break.

- As MSE pointed out, we have some extremely winnable games coming up, starting Sunday, no excuse not to pick up maximum points.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Hehe this is classic and also somewhat true.

- I cautiously like the Leino-Carter-Briere line, is it a coincidence that they created about 15 chances with Hartnell gone? Maybe.

- Leighton showed the good and bad tonight. He made a couple of spectacular saves, but again and again, it's awful technique and bad decisions with the puck that get him into trouble.

- We honestly played really well IMO considering Buffalo is a really strong home team, I'd say it was our best game since the end of the break.

- As MSE pointed out, we have some extremely winnable games coming up, starting Sunday, no excuse not to pick up maximum points.
If the Flyers want to be for real, they need to win at least 3 of the next 4 games at home.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
jb**

The one thign about the coachi is he has preached accountability yet he will do nothing with hartnell. He needs to be in the press bix for a game or 4th and no pp time. You cant keep rewarding players who are not contributing

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:13 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If the Flyers want to be for real, they need to win at least 3 of the next 4 games at home.
Well, I don't know if we'll ever be "for real" this season, but yeah, we have to beat the Leafs, Isles, and Bruins so that the spanking by the Hawks won't hurt as bad.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:22 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well, I don't know if we'll ever be "for real" this season, but yeah, we have to beat the Leafs, Isles, and Bruins so that the spanking by the Hawks won't hurt as bad.
the hawks game will def be a low scoring affair

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote