Notices

2010 draft question

Old
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
2010 draft question

since we picked up a 2nd from washing for eric belanger we now have 2 2nd and a 1st. My question is i know theres still a month and a half left in the reason i was wondering when the draft comes would you rather a) keep the 1st and 2 2nd round picks or b) trade the 2 2nd round picks for another first round pick

HamiltonOHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:23 AM
BigT2002

I'd rather trade all 3 of them and get Taylor Hall or even Teemu Pulkkinen. Team needs something big to get it jump started and I would love to finally see us get a Calder to this franchise for once lol. Getting 3 players, of which maybe one would eventually see ice time for the Wild, doesn't really gel with me. Sorry, I just don't really care that much about how Houston does. I know our prospects are shallow and we need to get it going again, but its hard to want prospect depth when your own pro team isn't technically fielding 4 NHL quality lines.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I'd rather trade all 3 of them and get Taylor Hall or even Teemu Pulkkinen. Team needs something big to get it jump started and I would love to finally see us get a Calder to this franchise for once lol. Getting 3 players, of which maybe one would eventually see ice time for the Wild, doesn't really gel with me. Sorry, I just don't really care that much about how Houston does. I know our prospects are shallow and we need to get it going again, but its hard to want prospect depth when your own pro team isn't technically fielding 4 NHL quality lines.
I disagree. Lack of prospect depth is what has hurt this team. Here is a perfect chance to add some assets that could be used down the road to bring in a Sharp or a Jokinen. Putting all your eggs in one basket sounds like Gaborik part 2 to me.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
saywut

It depends on a bunch of things:
1. Where will our 1st round pick be? Right now we're 20th which would make it 11, give or take a couple in the lottery.

2. Which prospects do we like? IMO we have to be looking at a forward in the 1st. I'd scratch off Hall/Seguin/Fowler obviously and at least 2 more d-men should be going in the top-10. We do not have a history of Russians, so I don't know how interested we would be in Burmistrov/Kabanov/Tarasenko if they were indeed there.

3. Is there interest in our pick? I don't see us moving up, but I could see us moving down(if we like whats left on our board like last year), or even moving the pick(1st) altogether if the right offer is on the table. Remember, GMCF specifically said last year he was offered a player for his #1, so he would obviously consider for the right player. I know he said #1s are like gold, but he traded Leddy pretty quickly.

With our 2 2nds, alot could happen as well. Maybe a trade involving one of them to get a player(likely would have to be our own #2). I could also see us moving Washington's #2 for a #2 from a different team in 2011, as we don't have a 2011 2nd. This draft is deeper though. If we really like a player in the 30s, we could use the 2 #2s to move up to take him.

In the last 3 drafts, we have made 1 2nd round pick, and 1 3rd round pick(thanks to our trade down last year). If you're wondering why our prospect group is so bad, look no further than that.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I disagree. Lack of prospect depth is what has hurt this team. Here is a perfect chance to add some assets that could be used down the road to bring in a Sharp or a Jokinen. Putting all your eggs in one basket sounds like Gaborik part 2 to me.
Well at this point it wouldn't be putting them all in one basket. We need more depth on the Wild, and I'm sorry our scouts do not know how to find the diamonds in the rough. As I posted in the other thread about this, we have around 8 players according to hockeydb.com that have played more than 10 NHL games drafted after the 1st round on this team. Our scouting is terrible and having another pick that late in the game (Its Washington's, so at this point in the game expect it around the high 50's), really is just getting a leg up on the 3rd round....of which only one player Minnesota has drafted is playing in the NHL and that is Clutterbuck. We need to think logically with this right now. Even Fletcher already abandoned Leddy 3/4 of the way through his first Gophers season. That expresses to me there is not a lot of confidence in players that are that young with this franchise now. They will want someone who has proven they can play at high levels already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
It depends on a bunch of things:
1. Where will our 1st round pick be? Right now we're 20th which would make it 11, give or take a couple in the lottery.
If its in the low teens, we will probably be able to trade the two 2nd's for a late 1st rounder. As sad as this'll sound, we need to get back into the Top 5 in a draft so we can get to the players who have the potential to actually play at the level we need right now.

Quote:
2. Which prospects do we like? IMO we have to be looking at a forward in the 1st. I'd scratch off Hall/Seguin/Fowler obviously and at least 2 more d-men should be going in the top-10. We do not have a history of Russians, so I don't know how interested we would be in Burmistrov/Kabanov/Tarasenko if they were indeed there.
Scratch D all together IMO. This team is pretty much taken care of at those two positions along with goalie. Its all forward here. I like Teemu the most and he's playing quite well. Plus, having an all finnish line might have some great chemistry going on there. There are enough players out there we could snag with a low teen pick without doing something drastic.

Quote:
3. Is there interest in our pick? I don't see us moving up, but I could see us moving down(if we like whats left on our board like last year), or even moving the pick(1st) altogether if the right offer is on the table. Remember, GMCF specifically said last year he was offered a player for his #1, so he would obviously consider for the right player. I know he said #1s are like gold, but he traded Leddy pretty quickly.
We moved down and he traded that player before the kid even has his balls drop. That describes to me that Fletcher and Richards are done with the "get them while they are young" type mentality. If they didn't play in the World Juniors or at an elite league level (SEL), I don't foresee them being drafted by us.

Quote:
With our 2 2nds, alot could happen as well. Maybe a trade involving one of them to get a player(likely would have to be our own #2). I could also see us moving Washington's #2 for a #2 from a different team in 2011, as we don't have a 2011 2nd. This draft is deeper though. If we really like a player in the 30s, we could use the 2 #2s to move up to take him.
Its very possible. Hopefully by the time the draft starts we'll know where we are sitting with players in that respect. Basically, who does Richards want to just let walk away from the team. I'd imagine Harding will probably be dealt in some way for a draft pick as well. Probably 3rd round.

Quote:
In the last 3 drafts, we have made 1 2nd round pick, and 1 3rd round pick(thanks to our trade down last year). If you're wondering why our prospect group is so bad, look no further than that.
Its bad because its been like that since the inception of this team. JL and DR schemed that the best way to compete was to get veteran players and players who were just over their prime on the squad and that it was better than draft picks. Trading off 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders like they are candy for players was exactly what doomed the pool. Playing mediocre hockey and being in the middle of the pack for the drafts didn't help matters any either. How many have we had in the Top 10? Top 5? Top 3? You're not going to get the Duchene, Stamkos, Ovechkin's of the draft by staying in the teens.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Bookman

I'm willing to give Fletcher a chance to run a better draft than the previous regime.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I'm willing to give Fletcher a chance to run a better draft than the previous regime.
What he did in 2009's was as good as he could have been outside of probably drafting the wrong Gopher. But I can forgive it considering how great Brodziak has been for this club. I will go into this draft fairly optimistic with what will take place, but I also will not be shocked if it goes bad.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
saywut

Quote:
If its in the low teens, we will probably be able to trade the two 2nd's for a late 1st rounder. As sad as this'll sound, we need to get back into the Top 5 in a draft so we can get to the players who have the potential to actually play at the level we need right now.
We "could", but if we're picking at 41 and loving our board at 28, why bother moving up? And we're not getting a top-5 pick(as much as I hoped early on), Fletcher wants to win and confident he can.

Quote:
Scratch D all together IMO. This team is pretty much taken care of at those two positions along with goalie. Its all forward here. I like Teemu the most and he's playing quite well. Plus, having an all finnish line might have some great chemistry going on there. There are enough players out there we could snag with a low teen pick without doing something drastic.
I was scratching D altogether. The 2 other d-men was other players going top-10. At 11 we'd be focusing on who we felt the #3-7 forward talents in this draft are. Teemu wouldn't be on my personal list, then again I am CHL biased and Gaborik/Cuma were the only 1st rounders who were guys I've actually been high on which the Wild have picked.

Quote:
We moved down and he traded that player before the kid even has his balls drop. That describes to me that Fletcher and Richards are done with the "get them while they are young" type mentality. If they didn't play in the World Juniors or at an elite league level (SEL), I don't foresee them being drafted by us.
CHL kids for Canada don't play at the World Juniors before they get drafted unless they are elite talent, not even Seguin made our team. And the CHL arguably prepares a player as good as any league, with the long schedule and great amount of coaches who played in the NHL. Minnesota highschoolers don't play against the greatest of competition, which is why I've always been against drafting them.

Quote:
Its very possible. Hopefully by the time the draft starts we'll know where we are sitting with players in that respect. Basically, who does Richards want to just let walk away from the team. I'd imagine Harding will probably be dealt in some way for a draft pick as well. Probably 3rd round.
I don't see Harding being moved. There isn't going to be much of a market, and Backstrom should be starting 50-60 games, not 60+.

Quote:
Its bad because its been like that since the inception of this team. JL and DR schemed that the best way to compete was to get veteran players and players who were just over their prime on the squad and that it was better than draft picks. Trading off 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders like they are candy for players was exactly what doomed the pool. Playing mediocre hockey and being in the middle of the pack for the drafts didn't help matters any either. How many have we had in the Top 10? Top 5? Top 3? You're not going to get the Duchene, Stamkos, Ovechkin's of the draft by staying in the teens.
We've actually had quite a few top-10 picks, the problem is that they haven't turned out the greatest all the time, which goes back to scouting, which goes back to Thompson, who somehow still has a job here... Nice players get picked outside the top-5, the key is to not look at the downside but the upside. Colton Gillies is the perfect example of that, a player with 3rd line upside that we traded a 2nd to move up to take in the 1st because his downside was a 4th liner. Mikael Backlund, Alexei Cherapanov, Angelo Esposito, David Perron, etc. all had far more upside.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Given where the Wild will be selecting in the first, I'd prefer for them to just stay put in the draft. Outside of the top 3 (which they won't be able to get to), all of the forward prospects are real hit or miss that will be available in the range they could reasonably trade into. There's no sense in moving more assets to move into a prospect that's really no more of a sure thing than the next guy.

I think they'll stay away from the Russians, and who'd blame them, so they still should get reasonably good value staying put given if those Russians come off the board.

(Sort of off topic, but I'm participating in a mock trade deadline/off-season and I totally dismantled the Wild. Some-what humorous... )

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

What are your guys opinions on who the best player we can realistically get is?

And who's better, Sheahan or Granlund?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
saywut

Well if we eliminate Russians, Hall, Seguin, and d-men:
Brett Connolly
Riley Sheahan
John Mcfarland
Nick Bjugstad
Emerson Etem
Nino Niederreiter
Ryan Johansen
Brock Nelson
Kevin Hayes
Mikael Granlund

Those would be the next 10 "ranked" forward prospects(CSS midterm, if we're saying Granlund is the only European in that group. Lots of differing opinions really in that range.). Keep in mind we need players at all 3 forward positions for top-6 roles in the near future(no #2 center right now, Brunette is on the tail end at LW, while Miettinen needs to be replaced on RW). Granlund has probably the most mixed reviews(along with countryman Pulkkinen) about where he should go, but a point per game as an undersized, not incredibly quick forward in a professional league at 18 is impressive. That is more production than Mikko Koivu had in that league as a 21 year old.

Last year we did go off the board though a little with Leddy, wouldn't surprise me to see us do it again. Quinton Howden would be a typical Thompson pick. There will be another CSS update after the season, as those rankings are out of date now(almost 2 months old).

Old
03-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Jbcraig1883

Since our draft position will change between now and the end of the season, it is hard to give an answer to the questions.

With that said, if we are around 8-12, I do hope that Nino is available. I admit to only having seen him play the whole WJCs and the CHL Top Prospects game, but he plays an NHL game already. I also like Skinner, but probably not that early.

But, as saywut pointed out, after the top 3, and after the other defensemen are taken, the forwards are all interchangeable, depending on what you like, imo.

I was not impressed with Granlund at all during the WJC. He seemed shy of physical contact and didn't display any playmaking abilities against the better competition. But, doing what he is at is age is definitely something to consider.

As far as trading the 2nds for another first...I think that historically speaking, the percent of a 28th to 30th overall pick making the NHL is slightly higher than most 2nd round picks, than it falls off. At least if I remember that correctly. Does anyone know the article or post I'm talking about? Someone had done the math and the percentages of the draft spot...

So, with that in mind, I would rather keep the 2 second rounders because it just increases the depth of the team that can either make the team or possibly be traded for a different asset down the line.

If we were in the top 6 and also wanted a top 20 as well, it would be different. But I think that getting a late 1st rounder isn't worth two 2nd round picks unless the staff has a guy really high on their list and they feel he might be taken before their 2nd round pick.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Since our draft position will change between now and the end of the season, it is hard to give an answer to the questions.

With that said, if we are around 8-12, I do hope that Nino is available. I admit to only having seen him play the whole WJCs and the CHL Top Prospects game, but he plays an NHL game already. I also like Skinner, but probably not that early.

But, as saywut pointed out, after the top 3, and after the other defensemen are taken, the forwards are all interchangeable, depending on what you like, imo.

I was not impressed with Granlund at all during the WJC. He seemed shy of physical contact and didn't display any playmaking abilities against the better competition. But, doing what he is at is age is definitely something to consider.

As far as trading the 2nds for another first...I think that historically speaking, the percent of a 28th to 30th overall pick making the NHL is slightly higher than most 2nd round picks, than it falls off. At least if I remember that correctly. Does anyone know the article or post I'm talking about? Someone had done the math and the percentages of the draft spot...

So, with that in mind, I would rather keep the 2 second rounders because it just increases the depth of the team that can either make the team or possibly be traded for a different asset down the line.

If we were in the top 6 and also wanted a top 20 as well, it would be different. But I think that getting a late 1st rounder isn't worth two 2nd round picks unless the staff has a guy really high on their list and they feel he might be taken before their 2nd round pick.
I believe Granlund was injured before the WJC, so he might have not been 100%. Thing is with him, like I said, his size and skating give quite a bit to be desired. As for Nino, he got alot of notice in the WJC, and it helps because people questioned how good he was considering his linemates in the WHL are solid.

As for the 2 2nds, I think we keep them. Early 40s, we could certainly be picking a player which we gave a 1st round grade for. At that point, you'd only trade up if your board is shattered or you have a guy who you have miles ahead of everyone else, and you can work out a trade. It takes 2 to dance. Early 40s though, I think there could be quite a few forwards who have the tools, just have questions about consistency, competition, or NHL-production projection. The #2 from Washington we could package with our 3rd to move up into the late 40s, or we could deal it for a 2011 2nd if someone else really likes somebody there. If we keep it/move up, that is where I'd like an offensive d-man.

Bjugstad looked alot more like the guy we'd take before GMCF made the comments about Leddy's development with the Gophers. I mean he was at our skills competition, and from what I heard he showed up some of our NHL players(then again we aren't that talented). I still think he's one of the guys we're going to be seriously considering with our 1st.

Old
03-06-2010, 11:06 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Bjugstad plays for Blaine right? My high school team plays Blaine in the MN High School State Tourney Thursday.

I'll scout him

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
Bjugstad plays for Blaine right? My high school team plays Blaine in the MN High School State Tourney Thursday.

I'll scout him
Oh man Lats grab the beer and let's have fun Thursday. I went to Blaine. Go Bengals!!!!

Basing the following on the presumption we pick #11 overall:
It is tough for me to really opine what the Wild should do come draft day. Aside from Bjugstad I've never seen any of these kids play before. Although from what I've read I'm liking Nino Neiderreiter and Riley Sheahan. If they are off the board when we are up to pick, than I wouldn't mind seeing us actually trade down a couple of spots to get Bjugstad. Not just because he is a local boy either. He's got decent wheels and a sharp shot(clocked @ 89mph at the skills comp) with good size. Probably be in that 6'3" 210 lbs range in a couple of years. His old man was a former North Star, so he has that NHL DNA in him too. I'm not just a fan because of the Minnesota connection either. In fact I'm actually pretty leery of them, based on our history with Minnesota raised talent. But I'd be high on this kid if I was from Flin Flon. That said he is still my 3rd choice in this year's draft. 2nd really cuz I'd be shocked if El Nino is still available by pick #8 let alone #11.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Depends on where the Wild finish, but for now they need to stay the course and use those picks. It's nice to have a top-end talent out of the draft (which is something you need to have on a Stanley Cup winning team), but this isn't the NBA where it makes all the difference. Plus it's entirely possible to get one at pick 8-12 (which is the Wild are looking to finish). Minnesota has already had a trigger-happy GM who did not value second and third-round picks and that's part of the reason why there is absolutely no depth in the prospect pool and has forced Fletcher to stock the NHL club with young outside talent.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Depends on where the Wild finish, but for now they need to stay the course and use those picks. It's nice to have a top-end talent out of the draft (which is something you need to have on a Stanley Cup winning team), but this isn't the NBA where it makes all the difference. Plus it's entirely possible to get one at pick 8-12 (which is the Wild are looking to finish). Minnesota has already had a trigger-happy GM who did not value second and third-round picks and that's part of the reason why there is absolutely no depth in the prospect pool and has forced Fletcher to stock the NHL club with young outside talent.
I agree 100% with this post

Old
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

didnt see a draft thread so i would post it here

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...lie-bagage.php

here the quote in english by Marc Chamard Qmjhl wild scout on Kabanov (translated by me)

Quote:
i wouldn't be interested in drafting him in the 1st round, said yesterday Minnesota Wild Quebec scout Marc Chamard. He's not a players i like and he has plenty of trouble off the ice. he has changed agent around 20 time so far. I follow him for a couples year now and at the beggining of the season i could see his exceptional talent but i had doubts because he wasn't involded in heavy traffics. my boss did want me to follow him because he was exciting like alexander semin.

Quote:
I was in moncton when the incident happen last weekend and it was pretty flagrant. he was soft (weak) with the puck and get rid of it pretty fast. Cape breton is a pretty physical team, and its like he didnt fit there. he improved under coach Danny Flynn but still need more space. My boss came to watch him once in Val D'Or and played a good game until he got hit by Marco Scandella. He's not the type of players i want if i go to war.

Quote:
if you look at the reputation of a zherdev, filatov and company, theres always a big question mark?. Mikhail Stefanovitch in Quebec, was a big named when he came over. he was a man amound kids. i also really like the bigger of the Bashkirov twins brother. he was drafted in the 2nd round by ottawa and i tough he was a good pick. but because his brother didnt get pick, their dad took them out of there. we don't even know where their playing now. what a waste of talent. thats probably why the habs got Avstyn in the 4th round. but i saw a scouting report on him at the beggining of the year by our scouting staff and the talent is there

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:10 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

here the quote in english by Marc Chamard Qmjhl wild scout on Kabanov (translated by me)
Thank you for the article I translated the whole thing through Google Translate, just in case anyone wanted to read the whole thing on him.

Quote:
At age 15, Kirill Kabanov already signed large sponsorship contracts. It is then compared to Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk and it would be the unquestionable first overall in the NHL in 2010.

Its value had fallen when he joined the Moncton Wildcats earlier this season, but he still gave a chance of being drafted in the first rank in June. His arrival in the QMJHL has also been highlighted in great pomp.

But here we are, seven months later, and they described the Russian wonder packed up for Russia to eventually compete for the World Championship under 18 in Belarus while the Wildcats are in full control of the playoffs against the Screaming Eagles Cape Breton.

Kabanov, who has amassed 23 points in 22 regular season games, would have missed the bus the team recently. Then, at its first meeting in the playoffs last weekend, he was liable for punishment for the Wildcats have had too many players on the ice. He was benched by then and he left the team a few days later.

The question now is whether more will be drafted in the first place, but it will be drafted in the first round ...

"I would not be interested in retrieving the first round, said yesterday the recruiter Quebec Minnesota Wild, Marc Chamard. This is not a player I like and is a lot of problems outside of the ice. He has changed agents about twenty times. I am still several years and earlier this season, I recognize exceptional talent, but I had doubts because we do not really see him in heavy traffic. But my boss wanted me to follow him closely because he is electrifying as Alexander Semin. "

"I was in Moncton when the incident occurred on weekends, Chamard continues, and it was really obvious he was playing softly and when he had the puck, he got rid of them quickly. Cape Breton has a strong enough team, it's as if he did not fit in the decor. It has improved under coach Danny Flynn but he needs space. My boss came to see him play in Abitibi and he disputed a good game until it is done by hitting Marco Scandella. This is not the type of player with whom I would go to war. "

Danny Flynn plays the conciliatory phone. "It tells of a young man of only 17 who arrived six weeks late because he had not received his release, then who missed nearly 40 games because of surgery on hand which we believed, would end his season and perhaps jeopardize his career. He fought to return, but we have in our training two left wings of 19 years before him, Nicolas Deschamps, the first counter of the league (tied with Sean Couturier), and Gabriel Bourque, who played within the Canadian team at Junior World Championships. "

Wildcats coach ensures that the divorce took place smoothly because he could not assure him a better time to use.

"It's a good boy, there are no problems off the ice with him, but he should play more often and play more often during the tournament less than 18 years. We are not closing the door for next year. I also missed the team bus on Monday and I then drove six hours to Cape Breton to meet him as he prepared to leave. It has left on good terms. This is the best thing for his career right now. Otherwise, it is not the first and last missed a team bus with a scoop or punishment. "

Still, that's another story that will not help scouts to be reconciled with the hopes of Russia.

"If you look at the reputation of Zherdev, Filatov and company, there's always a question mark. Mikhail Stefanovich to Quebec was a big name when he arrived. He was a man amongst children. I also enjoyed the greatest Bashkirov twins, who also played in Quebec City. He was drafted in the second round by the Ottawa Senators and I thought they had made a good choice. But because the brother had not been rescued, the father had left there. We do not even know where they are today. It's really a nice waste of talent. That's probably why Avtsin was recovered only in the fourth round by the Canadiens. Except that I read a report on him earlier this year of our organization and we recognize that the talent was there. "

With their pillars Nicolas Deschamps, Kelsey Tessier, David Savard and Mark Barberio, Gabriel Bourque and Brandon Gormley, leading the Wildcats their first-round series 3-1 and can eliminate the Screaming Eagles Cape Breton tomorrow.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

Thanks for translating that. I was hoping 1 of Kabanov or Nino would be on the board when Minnesota picked. Now I'm hoping Nino will be there. Kabonov's latest incident pretty much guarantees he'll be around at #10, but at this point I think GMCF would pass. I'd take him in the 2nd, but somebody will take a chance on him in the 1st. He's just too offensively talented to fall that far.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
mnwildgophers

Yeah, someone will take a chance, but...it would be quite a risk considering everything that is there and what he's done so far.

I really hope Nino is there, but I don't think he will be.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Yeah, someone will take a chance, but...it would be quite a risk considering everything that is there and what he's done so far.

I really hope Nino is there, but I don't think he will be.
The Wild really need to be in that #7-#8 range to be guaranteed to get one of the 2nd tier (behind Hall, Seguin) forwards. If they fly off the board I'd be content with them saying F it, trade down a bit for more picks/prospects & take a guy like Ryan Johanson. I have been liking what I've read about the kid lately.

Old
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
The Wild really need to be in that #7-#8 range to be guaranteed to get one of the 2nd tier (behind Hall, Seguin) forwards. If they fly off the board I'd be content with them saying F it, trade down a bit for more picks/prospects & take a guy like Ryan Johanson. I have been liking what I've read about the kid lately.
It might not be that easy to trade down, we have to have a partner to dance with to be able to do that, but I can't really say what we should do exactly, I just want to see some quality picks and I wouldn't mind seeing us make a couple of trades.

Old
03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

You mean they can't just force a team to trade with them?

Old
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
You mean they can't just force a team to trade with them?
I'm just pointing it out since we can all just assume that someone will want to trade up, but every team usually ranks players differently and what they are looking for in the middle of the first round of the draft, that being said, I wouldn't mind it at all if we were able to trade down and grab some more picks either for more prospects or more bargaining power for a trade.