HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 draft question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-26-2010, 03:15 PM
  #26
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
You mean they can't just force a team to trade with them?
Not unless you are Brian Burke.

As for the original question, it depends on how our draft board lines up. In theory, having three top-sixty prospects is exactly what the Wild need but there's no guarantee that the board will be busted. I'm not a fan of trading down in the first but if it's possible to use the two seconds into a higher second or low first for a better player than I would consider it.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 12:57 AM
  #27
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Not unless you are Brian Burke.

As for the original question, it depends on how our draft board lines up. In theory, having three top-sixty prospects is exactly what the Wild need but there's no guarantee that the board will be busted. I'm not a fan of trading down in the first but if it's possible to use the two seconds into a higher second or low first for a better player than I would consider it.
I'm sure that we will be keeping our first round selection, but I think that keeping all 3 of our picks would be the best strategy unless they are extremely high on some guy that might go mid 30's, but I think that we should just keep all 3 of our picks and try to restock our prospect pool as much as possible.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:20 AM
  #28
indiancompanion
Registered User
 
indiancompanion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I'm sure that we will be keeping our first round selection, but I think that keeping all 3 of our picks would be the best strategy unless they are extremely high on some guy that might go mid 30's, but I think that we should just keep all 3 of our picks and try to restock our prospect pool as much as possible.
Good drafting is key to all good teams, look at all of the current good teams, most of them got there by drafting, so yes, keeping the high picks is a priority.

indiancompanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:14 AM
  #29
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancompanion View Post
Good drafting is key to all good teams, look at all of the current good teams, most of them got there by drafting, so yes, keeping the high picks is a priority.
Good drafting os not the whole deal as teams also need to utilize free agency and trades, but it is very important (especially in a salary cap league) and a reason why Minnesota has been a step behind the last few years.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:31 AM
  #30
indiancompanion
Registered User
 
indiancompanion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Good drafting os not the whole deal as teams also need to utilize free agency and trades, but it is very important (especially in a salary cap league) and a reason why Minnesota has been a step behind the last few years.
Free agency and trades are valuable, especially when you can find a young player that might get more minutes with the team than elsewhere (see latendresse deal), but as you mentioned the salary cap makes it difficult, especially with talented players in free agency, because chances are they will be pricey and are probably not looking for long term, the only way the wild could acquire free agents at a discount is to attract them with a winning reputation and a good atmosphere to play in, wild only having the latter at the moment. As a Red Wings fan, I can only say what I have observed from what they have done, and the main reason I can think of that we got out of our "Dead Wings" era (between Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman times) is because of our GM, Ken Holland. I understand that the wild had a horrible GM before, which is why you mentioned that they have been a step behind in the past few years. This GM seems to be doing good with what he has, so there is hope, it took Yzerman a solid decade to lead the team to greatness, and I think Koivu could do that for you, given the proper conditions.

indiancompanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 03:28 AM
  #31
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancompanion View Post
Free agency and trades are valuable, especially when you can find a young player that might get more minutes with the team than elsewhere (see latendresse deal), but as you mentioned the salary cap makes it difficult, especially with talented players in free agency, because chances are they will be pricey and are probably not looking for long term, the only way the wild could acquire free agents at a discount is to attract them with a winning reputation and a good atmosphere to play in, wild only having the latter at the moment.
The issue with FA's isn't that Minnesota can't afford them, its the "Edmonton Rule" as I'm beginning to call it. That rule basically states: "why would I go to team X when team Y is offering me the same amount of money and Team Y either has a better chance at winning or is in a demographic that appeases to my taste." So basically, its saying: "Why go to Minnesota for $7.5M, when for probably a $1M less, I could be playing in San Jose?"

This offseason is very dry in comparison to previous because I still believe the league has a severe issue with this long ass contracts. Basically, teams are making franchise players out of them before they either ever hit the market, or offer them a huge deal that takes them out of contention for such a long time. Ten years ago, we were not seeing players at this record level getting 6+ years on a contract as if they were Niklas Lidstrom. Because of that, parity within the Free Agency is becoming a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancompanion View Post
As a Red Wings fan, I can only say what I have observed from what they have done, and the main reason I can think of that we got out of our "Dead Wings" era (between Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman times) is because of our GM, Ken Holland. I understand that the wild had a horrible GM before, which is why you mentioned that they have been a step behind in the past few years. This GM seems to be doing good with what he has, so there is hope, it took Yzerman a solid decade to lead the team to greatness, and I think Koivu could do that for you, given the proper conditions.
As a Red Wing fan, and native of Michigan from 89-00, I can assure you that obviously Holland was critical, but Hakan Andersson was by far more instrumental in that team becoming the team they are today by his ability to find diamond in the rough players that other teams were simply overlooking. The main reason for success for the Wings? Sweden and Russia. While other teams were still drafting within North America, Andersson was giving the Wings the lowdown on everything Scandinavian and Russian, and because of that you were seeing the Russian 5 lines and now the immense success of the Swedes, all the while Canadian born players were still getting all the hype in the 80 and 90's.

Also, please keep in mind what Stevie Y was doing before Bowman came to town. He was a 50 goal scorer and one of the best offensive forwards in the game, of which he changed because Scotty made him into one of the best 2-way forwards Detroit has ever had. It is the most critical step in hockey when your forwards are able to play two-way hockey. Federov, Stevie Y, Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsuyk....the list could go on and on with how their players have evolved not only as better players but how it helps the team out. It is why Detroit has always been able to live off of average goaltending and still win championships.

Minnesota needs to get that type of atmosphere going. Right now, I still believe Fletcher is calling the shots on the scouting now because of the Leddy fiasco. I honestly believe he would of taken someone else if it hadn't been for Thompson probably in his ear with "this kid is a sure bet, won Mr. Hockey this year in Minnesota." It obviously failed and I don't think we'll see another high school pick, ever, for this team because of it. This is a whole new experience for most of these guys with the duty title they have. It will take a little bit of time for them to get in the works. However, winning games isn't exactly helping us get to the pick we need in order to get this "rebuild" crap off the books and we can get back to winning ways. I want to compete yes, but I also would rather we win next year than say "hey at least we finished in 11th and not 14th"

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
  #32
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The issue with FA's isn't that Minnesota can't afford them, its the "Edmonton Rule" as I'm beginning to call it. That rule basically states: "why would I go to team X when team Y is offering me the same amount of money and Team Y either has a better chance at winning or is in a demographic that appeases to my taste." So basically, its saying: "Why go to Minnesota for $7.5M, when for probably a $1M less, I could be playing in San Jose?"

This offseason is very dry in comparison to previous because I still believe the league has a severe issue with this long ass contracts. Basically, teams are making franchise players out of them before they either ever hit the market, or offer them a huge deal that takes them out of contention for such a long time. Ten years ago, we were not seeing players at this record level getting 6+ years on a contract as if they were Niklas Lidstrom. Because of that, parity within the Free Agency is becoming a thing of the past.



As a Red Wing fan, and native of Michigan from 89-00, I can assure you that obviously Holland was critical, but Hakan Andersson was by far more instrumental in that team becoming the team they are today by his ability to find diamond in the rough players that other teams were simply overlooking. The main reason for success for the Wings? Sweden and Russia. While other teams were still drafting within North America, Andersson was giving the Wings the lowdown on everything Scandinavian and Russian, and because of that you were seeing the Russian 5 lines and now the immense success of the Swedes, all the while Canadian born players were still getting all the hype in the 80 and 90's.

Also, please keep in mind what Stevie Y was doing before Bowman came to town. He was a 50 goal scorer and one of the best offensive forwards in the game, of which he changed because Scotty made him into one of the best 2-way forwards Detroit has ever had. It is the most critical step in hockey when your forwards are able to play two-way hockey. Federov, Stevie Y, Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsuyk....the list could go on and on with how their players have evolved not only as better players but how it helps the team out. It is why Detroit has always been able to live off of average goaltending and still win championships.

Minnesota needs to get that type of atmosphere going. Right now, I still believe Fletcher is calling the shots on the scouting now because of the Leddy fiasco. I honestly believe he would of taken someone else if it hadn't been for Thompson probably in his ear with "this kid is a sure bet, won Mr. Hockey this year in Minnesota." It obviously failed and I don't think we'll see another high school pick, ever, for this team because of it. This is a whole new experience for most of these guys with the duty title they have. It will take a little bit of time for them to get in the works. However, winning games isn't exactly helping us get to the pick we need in order to get this "rebuild" crap off the books and we can get back to winning ways. I want to compete yes, but I also would rather we win next year than say "hey at least we finished in 11th and not 14th"
It was hard to attract free agents here before because of Lemaire, or so that's what everyone said. I will say that we don't have that way of winning, but we do have a sold out crowd just about every night. I know most of these guys want to win, but that also factors into their decision.

It's very hard to build via FA, because, like you stated, most of the superstars are being locked up in their prime years like we are hoping to do with Koivu. Last FA, we got Havlat, which was the 2nd highest rated free agent behind Hossa, so maybe this whole "we don't want to play in Minny" thing is behind us, we can only hope.

In regards to drafting, I know have stated this in another thread, but you look at our 1st round selections since 2003, and the only thing we have to show for it right now Latendresse because of Pouliot. I think that this obviously should spell the end for Tommy Thompson, I'm not sure why CF hasn't fired him yet, but I'm pretty sure that he did revamp the whole scouting staff, which is a good thing.

I still think that our latest first round picks may be serviceable, with the likes of Gillies and Cuma, and then some of our later rounded picks such as Scandella and Hackett. It looks like Scandella and/or Cuma as well as Hackett will be in the minors with Gillies barring injury, or otherwise impressing in camp, so not all is lost, but we have ZERO high end talent on the forward side coming up, which I think will be addressed in this draft.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
  #33
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
It was hard to attract free agents here before because of Lemaire, or so that's what everyone said. I will say that we don't have that way of winning, but we do have a sold out crowd just about every night. I know most of these guys want to win, but that also factors into their decision.
Well having their points reduced did have a huge effect on them not wanting to come here. The other is there were simply more teams vying for their affection that were a lot closer to winning the cup than we were, even in 2006. We went for Hossa to try to keep Gabby happy, and he took $1M less than what we were going to offer him to go to Detroit for 1 year. Some players want the cup more than money while in their prime and can be a game changer. Others are like Heatley and they just refuse to go to teams that may have a winning tradition, but are not in any spot to be making a playoff contention run.

[QUOTE=mnwildgophers;24755467]It's very hard to build via FA, because, like you stated, most of the superstars are being locked up in their prime years like we are hoping to do with Koivu. Last FA, we got Havlat, which was the 2nd highest rated free agent behind Hossa, so maybe this whole "we don't want to play in Minny" thing is behind us, we can only hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
In regards to drafting, I you know have stated this in another thread, but you look at our 1st round selections since 2003, and the only thing we have to show for it right now Latendresse because of Pouliot. I think that this obviously should spell the end for Tommy Thompson, I'm not sure why CF hasn't fired him yet, but I'm pretty sure that he did revamp the whole scouting staff, which is a good thing.
Thompson needs to be fired all there is to it. Fletcher needs to go after one of the assistant lead scouts from the bigger name teams like Detroit or even New York and hope they take the promotion to come out here. By getting someone with working knowledge of how effective drafting goes, we could really get the pool started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I still think that our latest first round picks may be serviceable, with the likes of Gillies and Cuma, and then some of our later rounded picks such as Scandella and Hackett. It looks like Scandella and/or Cuma as well as Hackett will be in the minors with Gillies barring injury, or otherwise impressing in camp, so not all is lost, but we have ZERO high end talent on the forward side coming up, which I think will be addressed in this draft.
Cuma yes. Gillies, I'm not sold on as of yet but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I'm not worried about defense though for this reason as I should be.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 01:40 PM
  #34
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancompanion View Post
Free agency and trades are valuable, especially when you can find a young player that might get more minutes with the team than elsewhere (see latendresse deal), but as you mentioned the salary cap makes it difficult, especially with talented players in free agency, because chances are they will be pricey and are probably not looking for long term, the only way the wild could acquire free agents at a discount is to attract them with a winning reputation and a good atmosphere to play in, wild only having the latter at the moment. As a Red Wings fan, I can only say what I have observed from what they have done, and the main reason I can think of that we got out of our "Dead Wings" era (between Gordie Howe and Steve Yzerman times) is because of our GM, Ken Holland. I understand that the wild had a horrible GM before, which is why you mentioned that they have been a step behind in the past few years. This GM seems to be doing good with what he has, so there is hope, it took Yzerman a solid decade to lead the team to greatness, and I think Koivu could do that for you, given the proper conditions.
That's the plan right now, although this is the point where the lack of anyone coming out of the 2004 or 2005 drafts is really hurting and why Fletcher has made some of the moves he did (Latendresse, Barker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
The issue with FA's isn't that Minnesota can't afford them, its the "Edmonton Rule" as I'm beginning to call it. That rule basically states: "why would I go to team X when team Y is offering me the same amount of money and Team Y either has a better chance at winning or is in a demographic that appeases to my taste." So basically, its saying: "Why go to Minnesota for $7.5M, when for probably a $1M less, I could be playing in San Jose?"

This offseason is very dry in comparison to previous because I still believe the league has a severe issue with this long ass contracts. Basically, teams are making franchise players out of them before they either ever hit the market, or offer them a huge deal that takes them out of contention for such a long time. Ten years ago, we were not seeing players at this record level getting 6+ years on a contract as if they were Niklas Lidstrom. Because of that, parity within the Free Agency is becoming a thing of the past.



As a Red Wing fan, and native of Michigan from 89-00, I can assure you that obviously Holland was critical, but Hakan Andersson was by far more instrumental in that team becoming the team they are today by his ability to find diamond in the rough players that other teams were simply overlooking. The main reason for success for the Wings? Sweden and Russia. While other teams were still drafting within North America, Andersson was giving the Wings the lowdown on everything Scandinavian and Russian, and because of that you were seeing the Russian 5 lines and now the immense success of the Swedes, all the while Canadian born players were still getting all the hype in the 80 and 90's.

Also, please keep in mind what Stevie Y was doing before Bowman came to town. He was a 50 goal scorer and one of the best offensive forwards in the game, of which he changed because Scotty made him into one of the best 2-way forwards Detroit has ever had. It is the most critical step in hockey when your forwards are able to play two-way hockey. Federov, Stevie Y, Zetterberg, Franzen, Datsuyk....the list could go on and on with how their players have evolved not only as better players but how it helps the team out. It is why Detroit has always been able to live off of average goaltending and still win championships.

Minnesota needs to get that type of atmosphere going. Right now, I still believe Fletcher is calling the shots on the scouting now because of the Leddy fiasco. I honestly believe he would of taken someone else if it hadn't been for Thompson probably in his ear with "this kid is a sure bet, won Mr. Hockey this year in Minnesota." It obviously failed and I don't think we'll see another high school pick, ever, for this team because of it. This is a whole new experience for most of these guys with the duty title they have. It will take a little bit of time for them to get in the works. However, winning games isn't exactly helping us get to the pick we need in order to get this "rebuild" crap off the books and we can get back to winning ways. I want to compete yes, but I also would rather we win next year than say "hey at least we finished in 11th and not 14th"
If Minnesota took one after A.J. Thelen, they will take one again after Nick Leddy.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
  #35
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
That's the plan right now, although this is the point where the lack of anyone coming out of the 2004 or 2005 drafts is really hurting and why Fletcher has made some of the moves he did (Latendresse, Barker).


If Minnesota took one after A.J. Thelen, they will take one again after Nick Leddy.
Who was doing the drafting at that point though? Neither, Leopold, Fletcher, or Richards were part of the organization when AJ was drafted. Our track record hasn't exactly been stellar in the 1st round and for all I know, and still believe, Thompson's rep didn't precede him with the 2009 entry draft and he was talking about how much of a "sure thing" Leddy would be, and Fletcher and Richards ate it up. So unless its some kid who has Stamkos like potential, I just don't see it happening.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2010, 02:35 PM
  #36
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Who was doing the drafting at that point though? Neither, Leopold, Fletcher, or Richards were part of the organization when AJ was drafted. Our track record hasn't exactly been stellar in the 1st round and for all I know, and still believe, Thompson's rep didn't precede him with the 2009 entry draft and he was talking about how much of a "sure thing" Leddy would be, and Fletcher and Richards ate it up. So unless its some kid who has Stamkos like potential, I just don't see it happening.
I have other assumptions about Thompson although not on the level of Tom Lynn; hell if things went another way it wouldn't be surprising to see the Wild pick one this year. Leddy was unfortunately expendable due to the fact that Minnesota's top two defensive prospects were also defenseman, the Wild were getting back a NHL-ready defenseman for Johnsson and he was the furthest from the NHL (as the most recent draftee and a HS player). There's still no reason to believe that he is a major bust (a la Thelen) or that being a HS player stunted his career, but that he was just an asset (which in fairness that is what it looked like the Wild were trying to get after trading down from 12 and not seeing any forwards they liked) used to improve this team.

If Garth Snow keeps taking high-end Gopher recruits despite being negative on tDon, there's no reason to believe any GM will not take a player from anywhere. Well that or the current Wild regime is also never taking a Shattucks player again.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 07:25 AM
  #37
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I have other assumptions about Thompson although not on the level of Tom Lynn; hell if things went another way it wouldn't be surprising to see the Wild pick one this year. Leddy was unfortunately expendable due to the fact that Minnesota's top two defensive prospects were also defenseman, the Wild were getting back a NHL-ready defenseman for Johnsson and he was the furthest from the NHL (as the most recent draftee and a HS player). There's still no reason to believe that he is a major bust (a la Thelen) or that being a HS player stunted his career, but that he was just an asset (which in fairness that is what it looked like the Wild were trying to get after trading down from 12 and not seeing any forwards they liked) used to improve this team.

If Garth Snow keeps taking high-end Gopher recruits despite being negative on tDon, there's no reason to believe any GM will not take a player from anywhere. Well that or the current Wild regime is also never taking a Shattucks player again.
Shattuck is a little different than Eden Prairie though, no? But I see what you are saying.

So do you think this was a whole scheme thing by Fletcher to try to have leverage when it came trade deadline day to move one of the bigger dmen for a younger guy? Just curious, reads off as if that might have been a thought.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 09:52 AM
  #38
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
You keep every single one of these draft picks. This is a deep draft talent wise, so you can make some serious hay and quickly reverse some of the damage done by the previous regime. Now next year, which is an AWFUL draft talent wise, you could maybe get away with moving up to get a player.

Few things:
1. AJ Thelen was a product of Riser and Co. taking that local angle, and not necessarily because he was the BPA.
2. 1st round picks can fail even if they aren't MNHS kids.
3. And while I'm quick to point fingers at Tommy Thompson...Fletcher hired a new scouting staff, and I think when you look at our cupboard compared to other teams, I think the main issue isn't drafting (although a lack of picks hurts really bad) but DEVELOPMENT.

Even when we had 3rd and 4th and 5th rounders we never signed them, and gave them a chance to develop/had a proper development model. It might be a philosophical thing though; Riser maybe believed in more NHL proven players, while Fletcher believes in building from the ground up (which is ironic, considering Risebrough's rhetoric about "building within.")

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
  #39
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Fletcher hired a new scouting staff, and I think when you look at our cupboard compared to other teams, I think the main issue isn't drafting (although a lack of picks hurts really bad) but DEVELOPMENT.
I agree. The Wild have done a very poor job at this, in part because they thrust teenagers into the NHL when they hadn't really earned it. You look at Detroit and the fantastic job they've done with the lower rounds, and while a great deal of it is scouting, an equal or greater share goes to how they develop players. All those guys spent time in Europe or the minors, and basically came to the NHL in their early 20s with several years of pro experience. Check out the age of the following guys during their first full season in the NHL:
Zetterberg 22
Franzen 26
Helm 22
Fippula 23
Kronwall 25
Datsyuk 23

Granted, there weren't a lot of spots available on the Wings when those guys were young, but when they got their shot they were well prepared to step in.

I'm seeing more of this already from the current regime, giving guys like Falk and Stoner a shot after they've had a healthy dose of professional hockey at the AHL level. I don't know much about Constantine's style, but it would behoove the Wild to have a coach at Houston who can prepare our prospects to play something similar to Wild hockey.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 01:00 AM
  #40
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,105
vCash: 500
Here's the run down and where everyone sits right now

13th place: Boston 80 pts 8 games left: vs BUF; @ NJ; VS FLA; @ TOR; @ WSH, VS BUF, VS CAR, @ WSH
12th place: Dallas 80 pts 7 games left: @ ANA; VS SJ; VS EDM; @ STL; VS CHI; VS ANA @ MIN
11th place: Anaheim 78 pts 8 games left: VS DAL @COL, VS VAN, @ LA, VS LA, @ DAL, @ STL, VS EDM
10th place: Minnesota 78 pts 7 games left: VS LA, VS CHI, VS SJ, @ VAN, @ EDM, @ CGY, VS DAL
9th place: Atlanta 78 pts 7 games left: VS CAR @ TOR, @ WSH, @ PIT, VS NJ @ WSH VS PIT
8th place: NY Rangers 76 pts 7 games left: @ NYI, @ TB, @FLA, @ BUF, VS TOR, VS PHI, @ PHI
7th place: Columbus 75 pts 6 games left: @ TB; @ DETL VS WSH; @ STL; @ DET; VS DET

Doing my research for the draft pick type thing and seeing what we have left for a season dont like the look of it... I want them to finish off good but chances are out of our remaining 7 games left i thing we will only be able to be edm and dal to be honest with you... My point is mathematical wise if we only win 2 of out remainign 7 and the 6 other teams win a good portion of there games we could be at 7-8th overall even before the lottery

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 02:47 AM
  #41
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
I'd rather have all the picks. One top player has a better chance to be a star, but i'll take three average players.

Leddy had a very good year.
Haula is playing about as good as any one in the USHL.
I will the WIld a shot with picking right.

Koivu, PMB, Burns, Havlat, Latre..., Barker can keep us afloat for three years to come. Its in 3-5 years that we will need the youth to come around. Losing faith in Sheppard( yes i am the one guy that still has some), Gillies and Cuma.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 08:42 AM
  #42
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
You know, with what is left, we have very good odds at being in the lottery draft lol

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
  #43
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
There is quite a lot of teams sitting around the #10 pick area, and teams could either move up or down depending on how they do, I still think we will sit around the #10 pick, but I can't complain if we somehow move up even higher.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
  #44
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
Given the current trends of few shots for many shots allowed, lots of penalties for, shaky goaltending, and injuries piling up, one could assume the Wild won't even have to try and tank to move down in the standings. I mean, a team that can get outshot 31-11 vs. Florida at home is capable of anything

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
  #45
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
Here's the run down and where everyone sits right now

13th place: Boston 80 pts 8 games left: vs BUF; @ NJ; VS FLA; @ TOR; @ WSH, VS BUF, VS CAR, @ WSH
12th place: Dallas 80 pts 7 games left: @ ANA; VS SJ; VS EDM; @ STL; VS CHI; VS ANA @ MIN
11th place: Anaheim 78 pts 8 games left: VS DAL @COL, VS VAN, @ LA, VS LA, @ DAL, @ STL, VS EDM
10th place: Minnesota 78 pts 7 games left: VS LA, VS CHI, VS SJ, @ VAN, @ EDM, @ CGY, VS DAL
9th place: Atlanta 78 pts 7 games left: VS CAR @ TOR, @ WSH, @ PIT, VS NJ @ WSH VS PIT
8th place: NY Rangers 76 pts 7 games left: @ NYI, @ TB, @FLA, @ BUF, VS TOR, VS PHI, @ PHI
7th place: Columbus 75 pts 6 games left: @ TB; @ DETL VS WSH; @ STL; @ DET; VS DET

Doing my research for the draft pick type thing and seeing what we have left for a season dont like the look of it... I want them to finish off good but chances are out of our remaining 7 games left i thing we will only be able to be edm and dal to be honest with you... My point is mathematical wise if we only win 2 of out remainign 7 and the 6 other teams win a good portion of there games we could be at 7-8th overall even before the lottery
Hey Minnesota can't win in Edmonton to save their life. In all seriousness, I think the Wild can steal at least one of the next three games given their home record but like their basketball counterparts finish with a tough schedule.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
  #46
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
It is not unreasonable, looking at that schedule, to expect quite a few more losses this season.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
  #47
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
While I would like to see us do well to finish out, if we are somehow able to move down and draft a little higher, it might not be that bad of a thing to happen provided we draft well.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:53 AM
  #48
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,642
vCash: 500
Someone please explain why we can beat playoff teams but not the crappy ones that are out of it?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 07:58 AM
  #49
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Playing up or down to the competition?

How did we ever come back from 4 down on Chicago? That game was awesome, but it's too bad that we weren't ever able to keep it going this season.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:26 AM
  #50
Bookman
Registered User
 
Bookman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 7,095
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Someone please explain why we can beat playoff teams but not the crappy ones that are out of it?
Detroit being the exception to the rule; and San Jose; and Nashville; and Columbus; and Edmonton; and Calgary either way you slice it.

But I know what you mean

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.