HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle to join the Falcons

Old
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
ekcut

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
To me, it makes sense to see him in upto 9 NHL games this year.
You can't tell me that 9 games will ruin his development. I seriously doubt his confidence will be shattered in that short of time, as the kid has proven to have ice in his veins, but anyone who's confidence is shattered in a brief callup so much that it halts their development, then he isn't meant to be an NHL player.

Let's see what he's got. We'll have an idea if he can be an NHLer next year and if so, which small forward will be moved.
He'll get an idea on what he needs to work on as well. Sometimes a dose of reality is the best thing for someone. "I'm not fast enough, I'm not strong enough, I'll work on it all summer" is a better frame of mind then "I just breezed through the WHL and am ready to tackle the world!"

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:11 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
I think it has to be NHL games? I'm really not sure though, I'm just remembering Jeff Carter and Mike Richards playing with the Flyers AHL team all the way to the Calder Cup after their junior years finished.
I wish someone could clear this up. Also, if all pro games count, is there an accumulative affect from year to year in regards to this? Eberle has already played 9 pro games and is preparing to play more games in the AHL.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Good to hear. As I mentioned in another thread I hoped he would finish this season in the AHL. Then next season I hope for him to spend some, most or possibly all of next season in the AHL. We should have done the same with Cogs really.
That probably would have been ideal but our team was so brutal in 2007-08 MacT had basically no choice but to keep him.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
He needs to play games to burn contract years. He should be here ASAP. Hell, I'd even start practicing him with some guys he might play with next year and get them working as a unit so there's something to think about during the summer.

Long-term development planning is something we currently lack.
There's more than 20 games left in the season here. If he reported to the big club immediately, he would be playing more than 10 games, and would be burning a year of contract on a meaningless stretch of games. Put him on the farm, call him up with 9 games left.

Or are you suggesting that it would be better for Eberle to sit in the pressbox in Edmonton rather than play in Springfield? I'm not sure what you're pushing for...

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
I wish someone could clear this up. Also, if all pro games count, is there an accumulative affect from year to year in regards to this? Eberle has already played 9 pro games and is preparing to play more games in the AHL.
I don't think so. Pietrangelo has played 8 games right after being drafted and then 9 games this season.

However, right after he was drafted he played the 8 games in the NHL and then only 1 game in the AHL. Just a coincidence that he only played 9 pro games?

Old
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertrate View Post
If Eberle was to play for the Oilers now he'd have unbelievable pressure on him. Good move to start him with the Falcons.
i dont think anyone has 'pressure' on them, now, or for the next 2-3 years. its all about a developmental process now and if Eberle fits into that process sooner or later depending on the matrix of players to help him further his game, so be it.

in pre-season he looked pretty solid and was just snake bitten on scoring. had a ton of chances. for the most part his board play was strong and he was slippery enough to win battles on the boards and was getting to lose pucks with smart decisions/angles and speed.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertrate View Post
If Eberle was to play for the Oilers now he'd have unbelievable pressure on him. Good move to start him with the Falcons.
Eberle thrives under pressure.

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
That probably would have been ideal but our team was so brutal in 2007-08 MacT had basically no choice but to keep him.
Well, good thing we're not in THAT position anymore.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Valens

Quinn indicated during his press conference today that he wouldn't mind giving Eberle a look this season for a few games.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
It is NHL games. For a 18-21 year old player signing their first contract the period is 3 years commencing the first year that 10 games are played at the NHL level.

Hopkins to Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Jmask83

The WHL site and Hockeysfuture.com both list Eberle as a center. What!!?? Since when?

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
The WHL site and Hockeysfuture.com both list Eberle as a center. What!!?? Since when?
I could be wrong but I think the only time he isn't a center is when he plays for Team Canada. Sportsnet had a Pats game a month or so ago and he was playing center. However, he did play RW at two Oiler camps so I think that's where they expect him to play once he turns pro.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
What are the chances that he plays on the World Championship team this year? Kinda like Toews a few years ago???

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I could be wrong but I think the only time he isn't a center is when he plays for Team Canada. Sportsnet had a Pats game a month or so ago and he was playing center. However, he did play RW at two Oiler camps so I think that's where they expect him to play once he turns pro.
Interesting. Well he plays both positions equally well which is good. I mean as a winger he was WJC MVP and as a Center he's leading the WHL in scoring. That's good. Although I wonder how good he is on the dot.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

So our AHL team is now more exciting than watching the Oilers each night.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
oilerfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganz View Post
What are the chances that he plays on the World Championship team this year? Kinda like Toews a few years ago???
I think during the world juniors pierre mcguire was talking about how Taylor Hall could have a chance of making the team.

I don't know how good of a chance he gets but it would be nice watching him play.

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:07 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Yup. Are they ever streamed? Anybody know?

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
They should stream them on the scoreboard screen at Rexall during games.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Chuba

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post

http://www.atdhe.net/index.html

Chuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Another poster above already said this, but check out the CBA

http://www.nhlpa.com/About-Us/CBA/

and download the pdf...it's on page 23

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Interesting. I'm not sure how much more Eberle really needs to do at the AHL level though. And yes, I know there is a large contingent that wants him to play all next season there, I just disagree with them. Lots of AHL time didn't help Pouliot, Schremp, and Rita any with the Oilers. I say if he proves himself able to play in the NHL, play him in the NHL.

I don't think he spends too much time down there. I predict Eberle plays in the A until the March 23rd Canucks game is done. If he is called up after that game, there are 9 games left. I think he's starting in the A entirely for contract reasons. And nothing wrong with that imo. Don't waste a year of rights on this smoking crater of a season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Which one? Seen the roster lately?!

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Interesting. I'm not sure how much more Eberle really needs to do at the AHL level though. And yes, I know there is a large contingent that wants him to play all next season there, I just disagree with them. Lots of AHL time didn't help Pouliot, Schremp, and Rita any with the Oilers. I say if he proves himself able to play in the NHL, play him in the NHL.

I don't think he spends too much time down there. I predict Eberle plays in the A until the March 23rd Canucks game is done. If he is called up after that game, there are 9 games left. I think he's starting in the A entirely for contract reasons. And nothing wrong with that imo. Don't waste a year of rights on this smoking crater of a season.

I would like to see him at least start next season in the AHL. You rattle off some guys that it didn't help (though I definitely disagree on Schremp - without he probably starts his early career in Europe). But it also has not hurt guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Bouwmeester, Mike Green etc.. etc...

Don't worry though I suspect management will fast track him and throw him to the wolves next season. I hope I am wrong. But they are selling hope and the future now. So they will want a chunk of it on the ice in Edmonton.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

He scored 9 points in 9 games with the Falcons last year so we know that he can play at that level. Hopefully he continues to impress down there.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Wickedness*

RE

I Think the oilers will want to tank another season before they start going hard and making playoff and cup runs. they will play eberle and hall together in the AHL for one season until they can unload Souray Horcoff and Moreau.. then go for it.. and bring in MPS and the other young guns, then sign some UFA's.

Wickedness* is offline   Reply With Quote