HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle to join the Falcons

Old
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Hall won't play in the AHL.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hall won't play in the AHL.
Yeah Eberle may possibly go to the AHL to play for an extended time. But neither Hall or Seguin do IMO. They will go straight to the NHL.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Yeah Eberle may possibly go to the AHL to play for an extended time. But neither Hall or Seguin do IMO. They will go straight to the NHL.
its been rather rare for CHL forwards taken in the top-3 to *not* go straight to the NHL in recent years

from 2000-2009 there were 11 CHL forwards taken in the top-3.... of those 11, only 2 (spezza and ryan) didn't play the full year in the NHL the next season... if hall or seguin don't play in the NHL next year it will be very surprising

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Wheatking

How many points do you think Eberle will put up if he plays 9 games? I'm just thinking about the quality of linemates he'll have. Schremp, Potulny, Stone and Brule may not be superstars but they're definitely better than...who is even down there this season?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
How many points do you think Eberle will put up if he plays 9 games? I'm just thinking about the quality of linemates he'll have. Schremp, Potulny, Stone and Brule may not be superstars but they're definitely better than...who is even down there this season?
i think we need to temper our expectations as to what eberle's PPG will be in the AHL.... springfield is *bad* this year, exceptionally bad in fact.... if he puts up 0.4-0.6 PPG i think we need to be satisfied with that

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I would like to see him at least start next season in the AHL. You rattle off some guys that it didn't help (though I definitely disagree on Schremp - without he probably starts his early career in Europe). But it also has not hurt guys like Perry, Getzlaf, Bouwmeester, Mike Green etc.. etc...

Don't worry though I suspect management will fast track him and throw him to the wolves next season. I hope I am wrong. But they are selling hope and the future now. So they will want a chunk of it on the ice in Edmonton.
Hey I could totally be wrong and Eberle may not prove ready yet, it's completely a hunch. He did do well in the A last year, didn't look out of place in camp, and has had a tremendous season. That and his previous relationship with Quinn leads me to believe he gets a call up this year. But he's still got to earn it.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hey I could totally be wrong and Eberle may not prove ready yet, it's completely a hunch. He did do well in the A last year, didn't look out of place in camp, and has had a tremendous season. That and his previous relationship with Quinn leads me to believe he gets a call up this year. But he's still got to earn it.
He already has, I just don't think the oilers care to have him part of this tankfest. Eberle has earned a spot on a NHL roster already.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedness View Post
I Think the oilers will want to tank another season before they start going hard and making playoff and cup runs. they will play eberle and hall together in the AHL for one season until they can unload Souray Horcoff and Moreau.. then go for it.. and bring in MPS and the other young guns, then sign some UFA's.
Umm, Eberle may play in the minors next season, however i highly doubt that he will be in the AHL when Hall is eligible to join him at the age of 20

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Delta Cubes

If Eberle proves at training camp that he can compete at that level, then he has every right to stay up there. You can't just throw him down because you're afraid to rush him if he clearly proves he's ready.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Actually as far as scoring goes they are probably better this season. Charles Linglet is the 4th highest scorer in the AHL. I think Colton Fretter is second in the league in PP goals. Chris Minard before his looong concussion injury was leading the AHL in goal scoring and was I think 5th in goal scoring last season.

Last season when Eberle played his 9 games he was on the top line and top PP. So he got some sweet minutes last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yeah I guess we will see. I am sure Jordan will do okay if he is in the NHL next season. He will probably have his share of struggles too. I would not mind seeing him getting used to playing against men and do well before he moves up. I am not necessarily beating the drum for a full season in the A. But a solid chunk of it would be good for him IMO. Maybe something similar to what the Sharks have done with Logan Couture this season. Who has been down most of the year but has gotten in a dozen games so far.

Old
03-06-2010, 12:54 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
There's more than 20 games left in the season here. If he reported to the big club immediately, he would be playing more than 10 games, and would be burning a year of contract on a meaningless stretch of games. Put him on the farm, call him up with 9 games left.

Or are you suggesting that it would be better for Eberle to sit in the pressbox in Edmonton rather than play in Springfield? I'm not sure what you're pushing for...
Pressbox is better than Springfield. That's what I'm saying.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
I think nearly everyone would disagree with that. If you provide him more playing time in a league where competition is faster and stronger it has to be better for his development than sitting and analyzing - something he can do just as easily with coaching staff in a film room.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedness View Post
I Think the oilers will want to tank another season before they start going hard and making playoff and cup runs. they will play eberle and hall together in the AHL for one season until they can unload Souray Horcoff and Moreau.. then go for it.. and bring in MPS and the other young guns, then sign some UFA's.
Players who have just been drafted and came out of the WHL, OHL or QMJHL are not eligible to play in the AHL until they are in their "over-age" year in those Leagues or after 2 seasons or something similar.

Hall can't play in the AHL until he's around 20 years old. The only reason guys like Eberle and Bobby Ryan were allowed to play in the AHL was because their Junior League seasons were over and they finished out the season in the AHL.

This is why Eberle had to go back down to the WHL this season. It was either stay with the Oilers or back to Junior. Those were the only 2 options.

This rule is in effect to prevent teams from clearing out all the talent in the Juniors.

Last edited by Gusher: 03-06-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:56 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Well, if it's a choice between playing for an AHL team, or sitting in the pressbox and watching an AHL team, I figure he might as well play.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Well, if it's a choice between playing for an AHL team, or sitting in the pressbox and watching an AHL team, I figure he might as well play.
ooh burn.

I don't want to watch Eberle play his first nhl games this season and be dreadfully afraid of seeing him score. I'd like to see MPS, Eberle and Tler start fresh here in 10/11 and lose their own games. Get another hi draft pick and start to kick some a a couple years from now.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Isn't there also a rule about length of time with the pro club, even if he's not playing...something like 30 days? Or is that just for waivers?? I don't know..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Us fans deserve to see Eberle play as an Oiler this season.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
This is true. But! He might actually make a difference and end up getting the Oilers some wins. We don't want that!

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:14 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

I would bring him up with 15 games left or so in the season, and he can play 9 and sit for 6.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
This statement is part of the reason I hope he at least starts out in the AHL. So much pressure on the kid. I would like to see them give him a couple months at least at the start of next season to adjust before throwing him to the wolves.

Oh wait do you mean this season? Yeah I still the AHL is best. JMO.

Old
03-07-2010, 01:17 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Yeah I mean this season. And I didn't mean it to put pressure on him. I really don't think there would be any pressure on him to achieve much this year in the NHL. It would just be nice for us fans to get a glimpse of the future after so much suck this year.

Old
03-07-2010, 01:36 AM
harpoon
FOB

According to one poster who attended the STH luncheon Tambellini has no intention of bringing Eberle up to the NHL this year .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescards View Post
I was at this luncheon as well. I thought Tambo was very open to criticism.

-He stated that he will work deligently to"find the cancer" in this team and that the team isn't all bad. He said he wants the look for the players that love this team and feel dissapointed in this season rather than the ones who feel they had a good year on a bad hockey club.

-He said that he will not bring Eberle into this room this year. He said he doesn't need the pressure so he will play out the rest of the year in Springfield.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:35 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
According to one poster who attended the STH luncheon Tambellini has no intention of bringing Eberle up to the NHL this year .
Interesting connection though.

Tambo mentions a "cancer in the room" and then says he doesn't want to bring Eberle into the "dressing room".

I could not go this year during the times presented to me but it would be interesting to know whether these points were connected or just separate.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:36 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Interesting connection though.

Tambo mentions a "cancer in the room" and then says he doesn't want to bring Eberle into the "dressing room".

I could not go this year during the times presented to me but it would be interesting to know whether these points were connected or just separate.
I don't know why he's so hard to find- there's a big 'C' on his chest.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I don't know why he's so hard to find- there's a big 'C' on his chest.

Let's hope Tambo does indeed work "diligently" then. Just a side note about his comment about those that are content...why do I get the impression that's not just Moreau but also Horcoff. Can't wait for season's end and hear the players' season reflections

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote