HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers Minnesota Wild game 64

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Edmonton Oilers Minnesota Wild game 64

WILD (31-27-4) at OILERS (19-38-6)

Last 10: Minnesota 6-4-0; Edmonton 3-7-0

Tv PPV

Time 7:00 Pm

Season series: This is the 4th out of 6th meeting between the two teams this season. The home team has held serve thus far, with Martin Havlat scoring a pair of goals in the most recent matchup, a 4-2 win for the Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 4.

Big story: Edmonton gave up its postseason hopes long ago, but time hasn't run out on Minnesota just yet. The Wild emerged from the Olympic break by blanking the Flames 4-0 in Calgary and will attempt to sweep their brief Alberta road trip Friday night. They sit 13th in the Western Conference, but just four points out of eighth.

Team Scope:

Wild: Niklas Backstrom mostly sat and watched during his time in Vancouver as a member of the Finland team that earned bronze. He did shut out Germany in his only start of the tournament, and on Wednesday he got the last laugh in a showdown with countryman Miikka Kiprusoff of the Flames, the go-to guy for the Finns at the Olympics. Mikko Koivu and Andrew Brunette each had a goal and an assist in support of Backstrom, who finished with 29 saves.

"You never know what to expect when you come out from a break," Backstrom said. "We got off to a good start and played a really solid team game tonight."

Oilers: The final 20 games of the season for Edmonton, starting with Wednesday's 5-2 loss to Chicago, are primarily about building for the future. The Oilers made some moves prior to the trade deadline, which included claiming forward Ryan Jones off waivers from Nashville and acquiring fellow blueliner Aaron Johnson from Calgary. Jones made his debut with the team against the Blackhawks and Johnson should join him in the lineup Friday.

"I think this is a good opportunity for me," Johnson said. "I have about 19, 20 games to try to prove myself and earn myself a job on this team and go out and take advantage of it."

Who's hot: Brunette has scored in three straight games for the Wild, with five points during that span. Koivu has a goal and six assists during a four-game points streak. … Shawn Horcoff has a goal and four assists during a three-game points streak for the Oilers.

Injury report: Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner is on injured reserve following hernia surgery. Forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard has played in just one game this season due to recurring headaches following a concussion.

Edmonton defenseman Ladislav Smid is day-to-day with a bulging disc in his neck. Goalie Nikolai Khabibulin (back), defenseman Sheldon Souray (hand) and forwards Ales Hemsky (shoulder), Ryan Stone (knee) and Jean-Francois Jacques (back) are all on injured reserve.

Stat pack: Backstrom has been money against the Oilers during his career, posting a 14-1-0 record with a 1.64 goals-against average in 17 career starts. … Tom Gilbert, who has become the stalwart on Edmonton's blue line following several recent trades, had 26:32 of ice time in Wednesday's loss to Chicago.

Puck drop: The Wild have a handful of teams they must climb over in order to make the playoffs. These are two points they can ill afford to pass up.

Penner-Horcoff-Nilsson
O'Sullivan-Comrie-Cogliano
Jones-Gagner-Pouliot
Brule-Potulny-Stortini

Gilbert-Whitney
Chorney-Strudwick
Johnson-Peckham

JDD

Brunette-Koivu-Havlat
Miettinen-Brodziak-Nolan
Latendresse-Ebbett-Kobasew
Boogaard-Sheppard-Clutterbuck

Zidlicky-Burns
Barker-Schultz
Hnidy-Zanon

Backstrom

Last edited by oilersfan11: 03-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
reckless_abandon

vCash: 500
3-1 Wild with Whitney potting the Oilers goal on the power play from Gilbert!

The Boogieman takes out O'Sullivan for the season, Oilers forced to call up Trukhno. Like sands through the hourglass...

Old
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Toydarian

"Season series: Fourth and final meeting of the regular season. The home team has held serve thus far, with Martin Havlat scoring a pair of goals in the most recent matchup, a 4-2 win for the Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 4."

The EDM and MIN play again on March 16th...... they play 6 divisonal games against each other

Old
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
"Season series: Fourth and final meeting of the regular season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
The home team has held serve thus far, with Martin Havlat scoring a pair of goals in the most recent matchup, a 4-2 win for the Wild at Xcel Energy Center on Feb. 4."

The EDM and MIN play again on March 16th...... they play 6 divisonal games against each other

I got the season series info from Edmonton Oilers site.So they screwed up their info.

Old
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Are they sitting Moreau out for the remainder of the season or what? They were giving him allot of ice time before the deadline, now he hasn't played. Anyone know what's up?

Old
03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Hasn't Backstrom been pulled in 3 of 4 games at RX1? That stat is very misleading.

Old
03-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Penner-Horcoff-Nilsson
Jones-Gagner-Pouliot
Brule-Potulny-Stortini

- Dan Tencer

I guess Horc's one goal in 20 games was enough for the first line again. What does Brule have to do to get respect on this team?

Old
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Whitney play.

Old
03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Are they sitting Moreau out for the remainder of the season or what? They were giving him allot of ice time before the deadline, now he hasn't played. Anyone know what's up?
Courtesy of Bluebelle:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/my.../13119566.html

Old
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

minnesota x PPV = Bad ratings
Edmonton

Old
03-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
Thanks Julio18 and BlueBelle!

Old
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Jmask83

Minessota Wild?? ZZZZZzzzzzz... wake me up when its over.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle evan View Post
minnesota x PPV = Bad ratings
Edmonton
There is now way in hell I buy this PPV otherwise, but I want to get a look at Whitney and Johnson.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Gunners CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
In regards to Johnson: "He played 22 games with Calgary, posting three points and an even rating, which gives him one of the best plus-minuses on the Oilers."

I understand the context but I find that quote hilarious.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Penner-Horcoff-Nilsson
Jones-Gagner-Pouliot
Brule-Potulny-Stortini

- Dan Tencer

I guess Horc's one goal in 20 games was enough for the first line again. What does Brule have to do to get respect on this team?
I don't have a clue what Brule has to do, but its pretty sad that the Oiler's have their fourth leading scorer on the fourth line while Mr. 5 goal Cogliano and no defense Osullivan get to be on the second line. In general those lines are atrocious and the only thing I can come up with is that the Oiler's are hell bent on finishing last and that is why players that are contributing Offensively, Gagner and Brule are getting the short end of the stick with linemates.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Beerfish

Shellacking tonight. 6-2 Wild (JDD gets pulled) but we will have a bunch of fights and good intestinal fortitude play to compensate. Whitney will be -2 and will be declared a BUST! by naysayers such as myself.

Old
03-05-2010, 01:57 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
atleast with PPV the fans have the option to pay for it--too bad for those schucks who paid for the package before the season started

Old
03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
There is now way in hell I buy this PPV otherwise, but I want to get a look at Whitney and Johnson.
I have to give the marketing department a kudos on the timely placement of this PPV game. A couple days after the trade deadline = brilliant.

That's the only reason I'm considering buying this one - new players.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Valens

I have a feeling we win this game.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
atleast with PPV the fans have the option to pay for it--too bad for those schucks who paid for the package before the season started

This game has more intrigue than the last 6 or so PPV games. First games for Johnson and Whitney!

Not that we can order it anyways if we wanted to, since Shaw is having all kinds of problems.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Oilbender

Minnesota, AND PPV?! Where do I sign up?

Old
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
They wanted to trade him before... and they don't really need help losing at this point. So might as well get him far away from the team while we play our prospects.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:26 PM
alphahelix

fourth and final? minnesota is in our division, doesn't that mean 2 more? you guys are confusing me.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
John Hancock

Well, it's nice to see we finally have a dedicated shut-down line in Gilbert and Whitney.

But seriously, what's up with those forward lines? Recipe for failure? We put Pouliot and Gagner, 2 guys who have been playing well at the center position, on the same line. We keep O'Sullivan and Cogliano on the second, while Potulny and Brule get the shaft with 4th line minutes, again.

-JH.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Penner-Horcoff-Nilsson
Jones-Gagner-Pouliot
Brule-Potulny-Stortini

- Dan Tencer

No point putting Gagner in a position where he can pad his stats more, and garner a large contract in the off-season.

Closed Thread