HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So are we supose to win the Stanley Cup with Leighton and Boucher as our Goalies?

Old
03-06-2010, 12:11 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Agreed.

But in the same sense, I don't think he's an elite goalie.

When I think of elite goalies, I think Broduer, Miller, Luongo, etc. You start moving past there, maybe even a little further past Lundqvist, Vokoun, and Kiprusoff, then you start getting into the gray area where goalies become almost interchangeable/dime-a-dozen.

The only thing really that keeps the goalies from switching hands often is that the organization, the players, and the goalies are normally comfortable on a winning team. It's the theory of not fixing something isn't broken. If you find someone you're comfortable with for a long time then you stick with them. That doesn't make them elite or even better than outside options.
i think we run into the problem of 'top 5' you can be a top 5 goalie and not really be an elite goalie due to the lack of truly star talent at the position. id say luongo lundquist and vokoun. brodeur because of what hes done though i dont know that his current play is elite anymore just really really good and then miller this year thomas last year but its more whos the best guy of that second tier that can play on an elite level. elite guys play that way year in and year out and i really only see 4.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
i think we run into the problem of 'top 5' you can be a top 5 goalie and not really be an elite goalie due to the lack of truly star talent at the position. id say luongo lundquist and vokoun. brodeur because of what hes done though i dont know that his current play is elite anymore just really really good and then miller this year thomas last year but its more whos the best guy of that second tier that can play on an elite level. elite guys play that way year in and year out and i really only see 4.
I disagree with Miller. Miller's always been good, but I think he's just coming into his own now. He's a very talented goaltender.

You can usually tell the difference easily. Thomas came out of absolutely nowhere to have a Vezina season. Nowhere is exactly where he'll be going back to shortly. I mean, he's always been good but never upper echelon. Miller, on the other hand, has been successful over a long stretch on his specific team even as the team has changed around him almost completely.

Miller right now might be the best goalie in the NHL. He could be there for a while.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
JCameron418

Just pointing out this interesting stat to maybe put some folks at ease:

Cam Ward
2005-2006 Regular Season:
28 GP 14 W 8 L .882 SV% 3.68 GAA
2005-2006 Post Season:
23GP 15 W 8 L .920 SV % 2.14 GAA
2006-2007 Regular Season
60 GP 30 W 21 L .897 SV% 2.93 GAA

While Cam Ward had way more potential then Micheal Leighton it is possible to put up good numbers when it comes down to the wire. Whether Micheal Leighton has it in him to be the goalie that Cam Ward is I don't know. But it has been done. Holmgrem is right in saying anything can happen in the playoffs. Chances are it won't but it can.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:37 PM
BerubeBox*

Haven't read a word in this thread (and likely won't be) so I'm probably repeating some post for the 15th time. I'm disappointed in Homer like most people, but the position of G was never supposed to be part of the plan for this year. Yet we have all this rhetoric about "on paper". And plenty of media outlets picking us as very strong contenders before the season started. Razor was such a wildcard that nobody should have expected anything really stellar out of him, and if they did, they're not very competent. There's a contradiction there in light of all the recent freaking out, which I admit I'm guilty of.

It sucks to know our worst fears about the goaltending situation have come true, but they're not really THAT much worse than our logical expectations from the beginning of the season.

Do we still have a chance with Leighton? Hell ****ing yeah.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I'm disappointed in Homer like most people, but the position of G was never supposed to be part of the plan for this year.
This isn't acceptable. Goaltending is absolutely part of the plan for this season. When they traded for Pronger, they totally sold out to win the Cup this season. You don't do that and then put a project in net, for this very reason.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Mr Oysterhead

A lot of you guys act like were not going to be in a position to contend next year.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
A lot of you guys act like were not going to be in a position to contend next year.
Boucher is our only signed goalie, emery done forever maybe, barely any good UFA goalies

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Boucher is our only signed goalie, emery done forever maybe, barely any good UFA goalies
Ellis will be available. He is a passable starter in my opinion. I'm sure Leighton would be happy to resign .

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Just pointing out this interesting stat to maybe put some folks at ease:

Cam Ward
2005-2006 Regular Season:
28 GP 14 W 8 L .882 SV% 3.68 GAA
2005-2006 Post Season:
23GP 15 W 8 L .920 SV % 2.14 GAA
2006-2007 Regular Season
60 GP 30 W 21 L .897 SV% 2.93 GAA

While Cam Ward had way more potential then Micheal Leighton it is possible to put up good numbers when it comes down to the wire. Whether Micheal Leighton has it in him to be the goalie that Cam Ward is I don't know. But it has been done. Holmgrem is right in saying anything can happen in the playoffs. Chances are it won't but it can.
I can hear comacast in his post all over again. I just want to choke those lying *******.

Ward was 21-22 year old rookie that won the cup and never look back after that. Leighton is poop almost 29 that was never good enough to play in the NHL.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
there are some definite candidates that could put us in prime position. brygalov is a ufa to be if im correct? turco is another solid one.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
there are some definite candidates that could put us in prime position. brygalov is a ufa to be if im correct? turco is another solid one.
Bryzgalov isn't UFA till 11/12.

Turco, no thanks rather grab Nabby. If we are going that route.

I'm for going the younger way. Try to grab Price, what can it hurt? Plus to see him out of Montreal may help him tremendously. I was watching the San Jose game, he looked great.

Last edited by dbr2: 03-07-2010 at 12:41 AM.
dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:12 AM
decadentia

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:45 AM
dawkins121

If we won the cup with Leighton it would be one of the biggest stories/upsets in NHL history...so basically it we are a HUGE longshot to win anything with two career backups in goal.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Scoopyten

Does it bother anyone else that a team with a $60mm payroll is left saying "If you make the playoffs, anything can happen"

I'm not mad because Holmgren didn't make a goalie trade-prices were far too high, if the rumors are correct. But maybe, if he hadn't given a second away to lose Gauthier's contract, he could have grabbed a Roloson or someone that would have at least provided a stable alternative if Leighton crumbles.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I would of gone really hard for price. His price ( ba dum psh) is probably the lowest it will ever be in his career right now. Should of had a future vezina candidate early

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am the Mush
Ellis will be available. He is a passable starter in my opinion. I'm sure Leighton would be happy to resign .
Just curious: is that a hard or a soft "s" in resign?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Screw you haters.

We just found our next franchise goalie for the next ten years! Leighton FTW!

He's going to keep up his defense-aided hot streak until he retires a Flyer in 2020.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Just curious: is that a hard or a soft "s" in resign?

Soft.

Also, this is brilliant:

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
MojoJojo

At some point I think we have to start giving Leighton the benefit of the doubt. So far as a Flyer he has been very, very good. His career before being picked up by us has been cups of coffee with bottom feeders. This is his first real shot at starting with a good team, and has yet to embarrass himself. Its kind of a lot to hope for. No one wants to hang their hat on this guy being decent, because that just seems like too much sheer luck, especially for us. Just pointing out that he is entering his prime and is not as bad as everyone assumed he would be. I'm not saying he is Brodeur, but could be following a similar career path as a Roloson or Thomas.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Well I named my new kitten Stanley, so YES!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post

Also, this is brilliant:

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
captainpaxil

so are they ever going to play boosh?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:53 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Boucher is worse than Leighton, so hopefully not until we clinch a playoff spot

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:42 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Leighton=Tim Thomas?

There is such thing as a late-bloomer.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Black View Post
Leighton=Tim Thomas?

There is such thing as a late-bloomer.
Jeff reese may have just told leighton that one little trick that sorted his entire game out. IIRC he was always scouted to have the talent to succed in the NHL. His catching glove is second to none in the NHL. He is just starting to get a crack at a real NHL chance. To be fair to him, he aint letting go either.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote