HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the dead line finished how many picks do we have?

Old
03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
alphahelix

vCash: 500
do playoff games count for that additional pick?

we suck.. the best pick we could get thrown in with Whitney was -really- a 6th? If we're lucky Sestito might get us something in that neighborhood...

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:28 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I wonder what Boston's second first rounder could be had for?

Also, I would consider trading the 2nd we got from Nashville, but definitely not our own unless it gets us mid first round pick. A 31st/32nd overall pick is quite valuable, and you are basically going to get a player who was projected by a lot of people go go in the first round. Last year, for example, the Red Wings picked Landon Ferraro at 32nd overall. Ferraro was ranked as the 18th best North American skater by CS heading into the draft. Not a bad prize at 32nd overall.
The price of Boston's pick is rising every day. They are dropping fast as the race for 8th heats up in the west, and might just draft 2 picks in the top 10, which is crazy considering they are 7th in their own conference. Making the playoffs while drafting 2 top 10 picks? Sickening, but I'm jealous at the same time.

Boston is right up against the cap, and could use some fresh prospects in their organization, to both replenish the farm and play on the cheap in the NHL. It'll be hard to wrestle either pick away from them, I think.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:12 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by winfive View Post
I'm hoping that we add some sandpaper with the second round picks,such as McIlrath and Ross.
Absolutely agree 100%.

With 31st or 32nd pick I want us to grab McIlrath or Toffoli if available. McIlrath would add a ton of toughness and grit on the backend. Tof is just a great all around player. Very underrated....C. Pickard is an option as well......

With the Pred's pick we NEED TO GET Ross!!!!

Ross is one of the best agitators I've seen and has a pretty good offensive game to boot. The Oilers have needed a pest forever and there is none better than Ross.

WE NEED ROSS!!! No question about that......he would instantly become a fan favorite.

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
The price of Boston's pick is rising every day. They are dropping fast as the race for 8th heats up in the west, and might just draft 2 picks in the top 10, which is crazy considering they are 7th in their own conference. Making the playoffs while drafting 2 top 10 picks? Sickening, but I'm jealous at the same time.

Boston is right up against the cap, and could use some fresh prospects in their organization, to both replenish the farm and play on the cheap in the NHL. It'll be hard to wrestle either pick away from them, I think.

-JH.

Couldn't happen. If Boston makes the playoffs, the best they will pick is 15th. Non playoff teams ALWAYS get the first 14 picks, even if they have more points than playoff teams in the other conference.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Absolutely agree 100%.

With 31st or 32nd pick I want us to grab McIlrath or Toffoli if available. McIlrath would add a ton of toughness and grit on the backend. Tof is just a great all around player. Very underrated....C. Pickard is an option as well......

With the Pred's pick we NEED TO GET Ross!!!!

Ross is one of the best agitators I've seen and has a pretty good offensive game to boot. The Oilers have needed a pest forever and there is none better than Ross.

WE NEED ROSS!!! No question about that......he would instantly become a fan favorite.
Grab some sand paper in the second round. Not the first round. The way I see it hte 31st overall is still too close to a first round pick to do this.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Roof Daddy

IMO, unless you are 100% sold that the guy you are moving up for is a "steal" at the spot he has dropped to, quantity of picks is more important. With our 2 2nd rders and say Cogs packaged together, does anyone see us getting better than maybe 12th overall? I'm not sure at 12 you find a guy better than the combination of 2 2nds and whatever Cogs fetches on his own (late 2nd, early 3rd?).

If our draft looked like this I'd be happy

1.Hall/Seguin
2.McIlrath D MJ (WHL)
2.Petrovic D RD (WHL)
3.Ross LW POR (WHL)
4.Simpson G EVT (WHL)
5.Hrasko D SVK (only saw him in WJC)
6.Conz G SUI (only saw him in WJC)
6.Beach RW CGY (WHL)
6.Ramage D UofWISC (WCHA)
7.Czinder RW YT (USHL)

Size? Check. Grit? Check. Oilers games that, win or lose, are worth watching in the future? Check.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:10 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Grab some sand paper in the second round. Not the first round. The way I see it hte 31st overall is still too close to a first round pick to do this.

McIlrath and Toffoli are projected in many lists to go in the first round.....I don't think grabbing either with our 31st/32nd pick is a reach by any means.

Who would you suggesting grabbing with the 31st pick???

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote